PDA

View Full Version : More on Reed, Morse and Miggie

OzzieBall2004
07-09-2004, 04:33 PM
From ESPN.com's Jayson Starks' Rumblings and Grumblings (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1836921)

Virtually every baseball person we've surveyed about the Freddy Garcia trade think the Mariners made a great deal.
Jeremy Reed was viewed as a can't-miss, everyday centerfielder in the big leagues who might not put up star numbers but "can be a Mike Cameron or Steve Finley-type defender."
Double A prospect Michael Morse "can really swing the bat," said one scout. And Miguel Olivo should solve the Mariners' catching problems for the next five years.
Meanwhile the White Sox had no choice but to sign Garcia long-term after paying a price that steep to get him. But not everybody is convinced he's a safe bet to justify his $27 million over three years.
"Thats a little rich for me," says one GM. "There was a time when he looked like he was going to be a big-time guy. But the graph hasn't continued to go up at the same rate. He's still good. But I wouldn't say he's dominant anymore."

Not my opinion, but thought you guys might be interested in this.
Its a proven fact that the best trades are the one that end up benefiting both teams, because then they are willing to work together again, so heres hoping that thats the case here.

I originally said that the deal was justified with an extension, or without one if we make noise in the postseason. Granted, im glad we signed him, but I still hope my second justification point comes in....

BeerHandle
07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
From ESPN.com's Jayson Starks' Rumblings and Grumblings (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1836921)

Virtually every baseball person we've surveyed about the Freddy Garcia trade think the Mariners made a great deal.
Jeremy Reed was viewed as a can't-miss, everyday centerfielder in the big leagues who might not put up star numbers but "can be a Mike Cameron or Steve Finley-type defender."
Double A prospect Michael Morse "can really swing the bat," said one scout. And Miguel Olivo should solve the Mariners' catching problems for the next five years.
Meanwhile the White Sox had no choice but to sign Garcia long-term after paying a price that steep to get him. But not everybody is convinced he's a safe bet to justify his $27 million over three years.
"Thats a little rich for me," says one GM. "There was a time when he looked like he was going to be a big-time guy. But the graph hasn't continued to go up at the same rate. He's still good. But I wouldn't say he's dominant anymore."

Not my opinion, but thought you guys might be interested in this.
Its a proven fact that the best trades are the one that end up benefiting both teams, because then they are willing to work together again, so heres hoping that thats the case here.

I originally said that the deal was justified with an extension, or without one if we make noise in the postseason. Granted, im glad we signed him, but I still hope my second justification point comes in....
I'm glad we have him as well!