PDA

View Full Version : Pure Speculation: Loaiza...

Mickster
07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
E-LO tends to remind me of Danny Wright to some extent. He has lost several MPH on his fastball and is geting creamed lately. Is he injured and just waiting to find out???? :(:

Thoughts???

owensmouth
07-09-2004, 04:25 PM
I doubt that. He's in the second year of a two year contract and wants to do as well as possible. After last year, a second successful year would catapault him into a higher income bracket. Pitchers nowadays are realistic enough to know that they can hurt themselves far too much by hiding an injury.

jshanahanjr
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I just think the rest of league has figured him out again. He better get it going again, or the Sox are in trouble.

Mohoney
07-09-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm just hoping it's a dead-arm phase. Buehrle was in a slump for about 5 starts in June, and he seems to have gotten the bite back on his offspeed stuff.

Maybe Loaiza is going through a similar thing, and he will get the life back on his cutter and changeup and stop missing over the plate.

gosox41
07-09-2004, 06:23 PM
E-LO tends to remind me of Danny Wright to some extent. He has lost several MPH on his fastball and is geting creamed lately. Is he injured and just waiting to find out???? :(:

Thoughts???
So I'm confused, was last year the fluke, or the 6 years before that?:D:

Bob

Foulke You
07-09-2004, 07:03 PM
His fastball has looked kind've lifeless the past few starts. Only clocking in the 87-89 range. Last year, that fastball was consistently in the 92 mph zone. I hope he regains that form from last year because we are going to need him if we're going to win this division.

Huisj
07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
he hasn't hardly thrown as hard all year. now i know that there are people on here who hate using how hard a guy throws to judge his effectiveness, but loaiza just doesn't seem to have that little extra zip he had last year that made him able to throw his fastball by people. plus with his cutter being a bit slower too, people seem to recognize it more. none of his pitches seem quite as crisp as last year, plus he hasn't been as aggressive as last year with battling inside.

princek
07-09-2004, 10:42 PM
bottom line is hes missing his spots , last year he had total command of all his pitches. Hes missing and missing bad out over the plate this year.

WSox8404
07-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Last year was somewhat of a fluke. He still has the stuff to be a decent pitcher, but not the caliber he was at last year. An ERA of around four would be what I expect from here on out. Not the 2.9 he sported last year. Oh man, if he only pitched like he did last year.

Basten
07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
His fastball has looked kind've lifeless the past few starts. Only clocking in the 87-89 range. Last year, that fastball was consistently in the 92 mph zone. I hope he regains that form from last year because we are going to need him if we're going to win this division.Last year, his fastball touched 94-95 and was consistently 91-93

He also had more bite.

First went his stuff (velocity and movement). Then went his confidence and (poinpoint) control with it.

So he became a nibbler because he doesn't believe in his stuff as much as he used to - and he is right not to because he will get hammered with a mediocre fastball and a breaking ball that stays up over the plate.

Any chance he was on the roids and is yet another pitcher to lose 2+ mph oand some bite off his fastball. I mean, he is only 31, An alternative theory is that he pitching through tendonitis.

Daver
07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Last year, his fastball touched 94-95 and was consistently 91-93

He also had more bite.

First went his stuff (velocity and movement). Then went his confidence and (poinpoint) control with it.

So he became a nibbler because he doesn't believe in his stuff as much as he used to - and he is right not to because he will get hammered with a mediocre fastball and a breaking ball that stays up over the plate.

Any chance he was on the roids and is yet another pitcher to lose 2+ mph oand some bite off his fastball. I mean, he is only 31, An alternative theory is that he pitching through tendonitis.
I clocked a tree at 83 mph with a state police issued radar gun last week, I think it was an elm.

KW should sign it for the fifth spot.

munchman33
07-09-2004, 11:20 PM
I think the problem came in the off-season. The offseason before last year, Loaiza had an incredible workout schedule, throwing everyday, every pitch he throws, in an attempt to rebuild his career. My guess is that before this season, he did not follow this regiment. Subsequently, his velocity, movement, and location have suffered.

HomeFish
07-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I clocked a tree at 83 mph with a state police issued radar gun last week, I think it was an elm.

KW should sign it for the fifth spot.

I don't know, it might grow roots on the bench pretty quickly...