PDA

View Full Version : Why are we carrying 3 catchers?

enurb
07-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Someone please justify having 3 catchers on the roster. Especially, since Ben Davis is one of them. He simply can't hit and does not have the speed to justify a roster spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a position player (who could pinch-hit, pinch-run, or spot-start) that we might actually use in a game instead of 3 plodding, slow, weak-hitting catchers.

With Frank out, Borchard should be up. If not a position player, then Rauch or Wunsch. Any of those options is better than having Ben Davis around.

This simply makes no sense whatsoever.

soxrme
07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Probably because of Alomar, we really have 2 1/2 catchers. I agree, we can use someone else but they are hedging on this one.

JRIG
07-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Probably because of Alomar, we really have 2 1/2 catchers. I agree, we can use someone else but they are hedging on this one.
Because we're carrying Burke and Davis along with Alomar, we really only have about a 1/2 catcher.

TomParrish79
07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
We definitely need some help in the catching department. I dont think Sandy can handle a load of catching duties.

patbooyah
07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
because JR is a nympho "pitcher" and needs to employ a rotation of "catchers."

patbooyah
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
We definitely need some help in the catching department. I dont think Sandy can handle a load of catching duties.
im going to refrain from making the obvious JR "load" double entendre. or wait... is it too late?:gulp:

DaveIsHere
07-09-2004, 03:02 PM
:ozzie

"I make the ^%&*in' lineup...or roster....or maybe jerry does, BUT YOU DONT!!!"

rmusacch
07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Someone please justify having 3 catchers on the roster. Especially, since Ben Davis is one of them. He simply can't hit and does not have the speed to justify a roster spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a position player (who could pinch-hit, pinch-run, or spot-start) that we might actually use in a game instead of 3 plodding, slow, weak-hitting catchers.

With Frank out, Borchard should be up. If not a position player, then Rauch or Wunsch. Any of those options is better than having Ben Davis around.

This simply makes no sense whatsoever.
Uh Wunsch is out for the season. I wish they would just cut ties with Alomar. Make him a coach or something.

fhqwhgads
07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Twins are carrying 3 as well, and I don't know why. However, there was a nifty limerick someone came up with about the Twins' catching trio which you might appreciate:

ODE TO OUR CATCHING CREW
I hope to show forth in this ballade
why keeping three catchers is valid:
One's near thirty-five,
One just learned to drive,
And one needs to eat some more salad.

Foulke You
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Twins are carrying 3 as well, and I don't know why. However, there was a nifty limerick someone came up with about the Twins' catching trio which you might appreciate:

ODE TO OUR CATCHING CREW
I hope to show forth in this ballade
why keeping three catchers is valid:
One's near thirty-five,
One just learned to drive,
And one needs to eat some more salad.
That's surprising that the Twins would carry three catchers especially since Joe Mauer looks to be a stud. Only one backup is necessary, I've never been a fan of having 3 catchers in general. The only manager who loved it was Jerry Manuel and that is all you need to know that it isn't beneficial for the team.

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Because Burke can play infield and outfield also. He can fill any position you need.

JRIG
07-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Because Burke can play infield and outfield also. He can fill any position you need.
...while playing below average defense and hitting like Royce Clayton-lite.

Sounds like just the guy for this team.

:versatile
"Hey! I could do that too!"

Mohoney
07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Jason Kendall, your table is ready...

ma-gaga
07-09-2004, 10:55 PM
That's surprising that the Twins would carry three catchers especially since Joe Mauer looks to be a stud. Only one backup is necessary, I've never been a fan of having 3 catchers in general. The only manager who loved it was Jerry Manuel and that is all you need to know that it isn't beneficial for the team.
Matthew LeCroy is a terrible catcher, but he hits the snot out of the ball. So he's also doubles as a DH. So really, they only have one backup catcher in Blanco, but LeCroy can fill in in a pinch.

Besides you don't give a rookie catcher 120 games, he'll kill himself.

BlackAndWhite
07-10-2004, 09:39 PM
So really, they only have one backup catcher in Blanco Yeah, with the mighty .180 average. Boy, the Twinks better hope that Mauer doesn't get hurt again, because that would sure be a shame.

Cubbiesuck13
07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
...while playing below average defense and hitting like Royce Clayton-lite.

Sounds like just the guy for this team.

:versatile
"Hey! I could do that too!"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=chw

burke is batting .297. if royce the choice batted that high i will be supprised

Aidan
07-10-2004, 10:26 PM

burke is batting .297. if royce the choice batted that high i will be supprisedRoyce "The Choice" Clayton IS batting .297 with 6 homers and 36 RBIs...
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=112381
...albeit in Coors Field where anyone can hit.

Jamie Burke is only batting .275 after tonight's game...
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=406550

JRIG
07-11-2004, 02:32 PM

burke is batting .297. if royce the choice batted that high i will be supprised
Burke had a pair of 3-hit games on 6/13 and 6/18.

Other than those games, he is 5-31 (.161) with 1 extra base hit (a double) and 2 walks.

That is Royce Clayton lite.