PDA

View Full Version : Ron Kittle, Future HOF?

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Putting this thread out there to see what people think. I think a case can be made......

ewokpelts
07-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Putting this thread out there to see what people think. I think a case can be made......
No Dis-respect to Ron, but if Minnie cant make it(while Santo has a "chance"), then no dice to Ron.
Gene

Hondo
07-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Hall of Fame??? For what?? MLB???

No. He's a career .239 hitter with no great power numbers.

There is no case that could be made based on his numbers.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I like Ron...consider him a friend, and he does many great things for charity but in a word......

No.....

Lip

npdempse
07-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Based on the numbers, no, never. Basball-reference.com has a decent calculator, which yields for Kittle

HOF Standards (http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_standards): Batting - 9.0 (1635) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor (http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_monitor): Batting - 11.5 (979) (Likely HOFer > 100)
Didn't play long enough, no MVPs, no significant appearances on the leaderboards after 1983, etc.

Not that he's not a heck of a guy; Might be nice to see the Sox retire his number one of these days.

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Hall of Fame??? For what?? MLB???

No. He's a career .239 hitter with no great power numbers.

There is no case that could be made based on his numbers.
Okay, how about the Gary Hall of Fame?

Hondo
07-09-2004, 02:23 PM
If you use Bill James' similarity score premise Kittle is most comparable to Steve Balboni.
He made only 1 all star game and was never MVP.
Definition of a hall of famer should be best player at his position during the time he played. (exceptions abound of course)

zach23
07-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Okay, how about the Gary Hall of Fame?

There is a Gary Hall of Fame? Who is in it?

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
If you use Bill James' similarity score premise Kittle is most comparable to Steve Balboni.
He made only 1 all star game and was never MVP.
Definition of a hall of famer should be best player at his position during the time he played. (exceptions abound of course)
BTW, is that Albert belle at the bottom of your text?

Mickster
07-09-2004, 02:30 PM
There is a Gary Hall of Fame? Who is in it?Um....Gary? :D:

p.s. I know......Gary, IN.

Hondo
LOL!!! no. Kanye West
and yes I'd vote for Kittle as an inductee in the Gary HOF, if such a thing exsists.

32nd&Wallace
There is a Gary Hall of Fame? Who is in it?There could be one..First class of inductees would include Ron Kittle, Michael Jackson, Lloyd McClendo and Rick Regan.

white sox bill
Notta!

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
LOL!!! no. Kanye West
and yes I'd vote for Kittle as an inductee in the Gary HOF, if such a thing exsists.WHo is Kayne West?

Paulwny
07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
There is a Gary Hall of Fame? Who is in it?
A lot of guys named Gary. :gulp:

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:33 PM
There could be one..First class of inductees would include Ron Kittle, Michael Jackson, Lloyd McClendo and Rick Regan.Don't forget Gene Shepard

zach23
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
A lot of guys named Gary. :gulp:

http://www.buseyworld.com/Headshot2.jpg

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
http://www.buseyworld.com/Headshot2.jpg Whatever HOF he is in, I wouldnt want to be a part of

skobabe8
07-09-2004, 02:42 PM
There could be one..First class of inductees would include Ron Kittle, Michael Jackson, Lloyd McClendo and Rick Regan.

and glenn robinson

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
What about the White Sox Hall of Fame and Museum Shop? I think Kittle merits entry there.

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I would like something along the lines of a Lincoln Memoral replica in Center Field. You would have Kittle sitting in a 1983 Sox Uniform, like Lincoln, with his head bowed and people could stand around and take pictures. And then a baines memorial like Thomas Jefferson could be in Right Field and a Fisk one like FDR in left.

Johnny Mostil
07-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Don't forget Gene ShepardActually, Jean was from Hammond. Yes, he differentiated between the two. I read something somewhere (sorry, can't remember where, and too lazy to look it up) where he said Gary, unlike Hammond, wasn't part of The (Calumet) Region, but rather, I'd guess he'd say, sui generis.

And yes, Kittle for the Gary HoF, but not the BB HoF.

rmusacch
07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
You thought that was Albert Belle? You ever seen AB?

gosox41
07-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd say the odds are against it.

Bob

32nd&Wallace
07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
You thought that was Albert Belle? You ever seen AB?Of course Ive seen AB buuuut, he did sort of resemble him. Hell, I dont know what I was writing.

GoSox2K3
07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
No, but one of the concession stands in the lower deck is named after him:redface:

The Sox could easily retire his number since they can't use #42 anymore anyways (retired league-wide in honor of Jackie Robinson)

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 08:39 PM
kittle lives pretty close to me in Valparaiso, IN.

A. Cavatica
07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
At least eight members of the 1983 White Sox belong in the Hall. There's Kitty, and Rudy Law, and Vance Law, and Fletcher, and Dybber...

chisoxfan4life
07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
kittle lives pretty close to me in Valparaiso, IN.
Does he live in Valpo? I thought he lived in Chesterton, but I could be wrong. (I live in Valpo as well) His son is my age and I went to a baseball camp with him. He is a good player, but is waiting for a growing spree. Kittle is a great guy.

Tragg
07-10-2004, 12:17 AM
My vote goes to Danny Pasqua

Cubbiesuck13
07-10-2004, 12:50 AM
this reminded me of something on beyond the lines or whatever the feel good show on espn is called. they had a mcgriff special on him trying to get into the hall by hitting 500 hrs and how everyone else who has hit 500 is or will be in the hall. they think he will be the first left out. i agree with that. i think that the new 'magic' number should be much hire than 500. we are in a period of more hrs than ever before and i think the number whould be raised. the show compared mcgriffs numbers to others in the HOF without 500 hrs and less impressive overall stats than fred's. the comparrison with these guys is rediculous. the game has changed so much that the only stats, IMO that can still be compared are avg, era, sb, errors, k's just off the top of my head

TDog
07-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Ron is one of my favorite people. I would like to think that in a world with better breaks he would be in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2004, 01:35 AM
What about the White Sox Hall of Fame and Museum Shop? I think Kittle merits entry there.Not even that. C'mon.

I liked Kitty as much as the next guy, but get serious. He only had one year with 500 AB, and one more with 400 AB. I am opposed to Santo getting into the HOF, and his stats are lightyears ahead of Kitty's.

Blueprint1
07-10-2004, 03:10 AM
Was this started as a joke? It better have been. Kittle had a good rookie year thats about it. I was at his last game in a whitesox uniform though. Thats the game where Sammy Sosa flicked eveyone in the right field seats off not knowing there were ten year olds at the game like me. He has always been a jerk

SweetJimmyB
07-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Was this started as a joke? It better have been. Kittle had a good rookie year thats about it. I was at his last game in a whitesox uniform though. Thats the game where Sammy Sosa flicked eveyone in the right field seats off not knowing there were ten year olds at the game like me. He has always been a jerkAt least he didn't hit you over the head with a bottle of rum!

Tragg
07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Not even that. C'mon.

I liked Kitty as much as the next guy, but get serious. He only had one year with 500 AB, and one more with 400 AB. I am opposed to Santo getting into the HOF, and his stats are lightyears ahead of Kitty's.
We're going to have a hard enough time getting Frank into the Hall. (even though he's been the game's best hitter over the last 15 years except for bonds).

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 06:51 PM
If Ron Kittle is a HOF'er, then the following players are also HOF'ers:

1. Don Mattingly
2. Will Clark
3. Jose Canseco
4. Darry Strawberry
5. Dwight Gooden
6. Joe Carter
7. Kent Hrbek
8. Cecil Fielder
9. Mickey Tettleton
10. Jay Buhner
11. Rob Deer
12. Terry Pendleton
13. David Justice
14. Ron Gant
15. Andy Van Slyke
16. Jack Clark
17. Dante Bichette
18. Howard Johnson
19. Ryne Sandberg
20. Brian Downing
21. John Kruk
22. Lou Whittaker
23. Allan Trammell

Need I go on? Of these players, only three (Sandberg, Carter, Mattingly) deserve any consideration whatsoever for the HOF. Only Sandberg is likely to get in, thanks in no small part to the Cub-loving media. Carter won two WS rings with Toronto, but he was never consdered the best player at his position during any period of his career. Mattingly is probably one of the most overrated players in the history of game. Great player? Absolutely. Hall-of-Famer? Yeah, right. And this is coming from someone who hails from the same hometown as Donny Baseball.

mike squires
07-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I wish Ron could have stayed healthy. After 85' it seemed he was hurt often. I'll never forget asking him if I should get his card or glove signed and he said, "one or the other..." I asked him again and he said, "since you're such a nice guy I'll sign both of them..." I gave him a slap on the shoulder. He grabbed it and said, "Owww, that's my soar arm. I got a couple of cool Kitty stories.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Read Ron's interview with WSI if you want to know how often he got hurt and how serious those back injuries were!

Lip

illiniwhitesox
07-12-2004, 10:45 PM
My vote goes to Danny Pasqua
I agree with Pasqua for the HOF. No one could hit a baseball, while stoned on Maui Waui, like ole Danny.

Harris=God
07-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Forget ron kittle the HOF needs Ron Dibble :D:

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
:hitless

"Can I be in the HOF?"

:hurt

"No!"

:hitless

"Daddy, Frank is making fun of me again."

:jerry

"That's okay, Royce. Don't let him get to you. He's just a DH."

:hurt

*Getting pissed off*

Huisj
07-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Was this started as a joke? It better have been. Kittle had a good rookie year thats about it. I was at his last game in a whitesox uniform though. Thats the game where Sammy Sosa flicked eveyone in the right field seats off not knowing there were ten year olds at the game like me. He has always been a jerkoh, but he's since more than made up for that incident with such touching moments such as . . .

making friends with singing purple dinosaurs,
:barney&sham

becoming a duck,
:roidduck

trying out for a michael jackson video,

:nandrolone

and best of all, always being there to entertain the fans.
:corker

i mean come on, get over it, sammy's such a great guy. he's truly done a lot to reach out to the fans and show them that he's a great guy. I think he deserves your forgiveness.

:moron
"Actually, Sammy had the right Idea to flip the bird and get out of that hell hole. Sox fans had it coming, especially those dangerous gangs of 10-year-old that wander around the stadium and gang up the 7-year-old off duty cops. Not to mention all those stupid toddlers who get so drunk and run out onto field constantly to attack umpires. In fact, one of those toddlers from a few years back was caught getting sent to the principal's office in kindergarten this past spring for stealing another classmate's lunch money. If there are kindergarten aged sox fans stealing lunch money, you can just imagine how dreadfully unsafe it is to actually set foot inside ballmall."

:hawk
"Shut your yapper Jay, you have no idea what you're even saying, you BSing liar."

my5thbench
07-13-2004, 01:24 PM
using that criteria....there's almost no former major

leaguer that wouldn't qualify....

love Ron Kittle but wow!

DirtySouthsider
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I would vote for Kittle for the HOF............but then again I would probably vote for Coach Ditka for Senator too :?:

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2004, 01:24 AM
I would vote for Kittle for the HOF............but then again I would probably vote for Coach Ditka for Senator too :?:Despite the times he's bellowed his way through "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley? Despite the fact that, when asked on TV whether he was a Cubs or Sox guy, he said "I pull for the Sox when they're not playing the Cubs"?

Tragg
07-14-2004, 11:53 PM
If Ron Kittle is a HOF'er, then the following players are also HOF'ers:

Need I go on? Of these players, only three (Sandberg, Carter, Mattingly) deserve any consideration whatsoever for the HOF. Only Sandberg is likely to get in, thanks in no small part to the Cub-loving media. Carter won two WS rings with Toronto, but he was never consdered the best player at his position during any period of his career. Mattingly is probably one of the most overrated players in the history of game. Great player? Absolutely. Hall-of-Famer? Yeah, right. And this is coming from someone who hails from the same hometown as Donny Baseball.I always thought Sandberg deserved the HOF. And he may. But after further study, you'd need to put Whittaker and Trammel in there as well if you put sandberg in.

ode to veeck
07-15-2004, 12:48 AM
I always thought Sandberg deserved the HOF. And he may. But after further study, you'd need to put Whittaker and Trammel in there as well if you put sandberg in.

Just for the record, they all ought to be behind Minnie

Bisco Stu
07-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Kittle for the HOF LOL

What's next?

ESPN Sports Century: "The Alan Bannister Story"

Lip Man 1
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
That's behind 'Minnie' and Billy!

Lip

32nd&Wallace
07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
As the person who started this thread, I will come clean and say, yes it was started as a joke. But let me go further and say if you ever want to irritate a Cub fan, tell them you think Kittle deserves priority in the hOf over Sandberg. Watch them go nuts. It doesnt show really how you overrate Kittle, but how you underrate Sandberg. Tell them how hitting a hr into Armor Park should warrant automatic entry into the HOF. THis sounds very stupid, but its fun to tweak Cub fans on these sort of things...Tell them Melton over Santo, Baines over Dawson and Kittle over Sandberg...