PDA

View Full Version : Wes Whisler...

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?

Randar68
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?
1) This belongs in the "Minor Observations" board
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 11:48 AM
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.

Randar68
07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.
It's difficult to compare him to another pitcher.

Mechanically, he reminds me of a LH'ed Mark Prior, no joke. Very similar to the eye. He is inconsistent with repeating his mechanics, resulting in him struggling with his command, but it might just be a lack of concentration on pitching. He throws in the low 90's, throws a hard slider in addition to a curve and change. He doesn't change speeds terribly effectively, but he has a low-mileage arm and has never been a full-time pitcher.

Wealz
07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.

Randar68
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.

Wealz
07-09-2004, 12:32 PM
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.

Randar68
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.
I also said he was inconsistent with those mechanics, and didn't change speeds effectively. As someone who has seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, his basic mechanics are very similar to Mark Prior. In no way am I comparing his ability as a pitcher to him, though.

However, leap to whatever naive or uninformed opinion/conclusion you wish.

Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.

Wealz
07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I also said he was inconsistent with those mechanics, and didn't change speeds effectively. As someone who has seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, his basic mechanics are very similar to Mark Prior. In no way am I comparing his ability as a pitcher to him, though.

However, leap to whatever naive or uninformed opinion/conclusion you wish.

Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?

Randar68
07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?
I'm sorry, but what is so profound about that statement that you feel the need to berate it? He mechanics are similar. Outside of that, there is no comparison between the 2 pitchers. 99% of the people here have never seen any of these prospects play, so describing how his mechanics look is part of the process of describing the player.

He's never going to be Mark Prior, none of the Sox pitching prospects are. Once you get past your hard-on about a simple description, maybe you can be a little open-minded.

Wealz
07-09-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry, but what is so profound about that statement that you feel the need to berate it? He mechanics are similar. Outside of that, there is no comparison between the 2 pitchers. 99% of the people here have never seen any of these prospects play, so describing how his mechanics look is part of the process of describing the player.

He's never going to be Mark Prior, none of the Sox pitching prospects are. Once you get past your hard-on about a simple description, maybe you can be a little open-minded.
So his mechanics being similar to Prior's is only slightly more useful than knowing he listens to the same music as Prior when evaluating his potential as a pitcher? Then it's pretty useless information.

Randar68
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
So his mechanics being similar to Prior's is only slightly more useful than knowing he listens to the same music as Prior when evaluating his potential as a pitcher? Then it's pretty useless information.
:whatever:

If you insist.

rdivaldi
07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Then it's pretty useless information.
Basically just as useless as this thread. Quit the bickering....

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Basically just as useless as this thread. Quit the bickering....
Useless? I just tried to use this thread to get some info about a prospect that I have not seen. That's what I thought WSI was for.

So, I guess this thread is as useless as WSI???

rdivaldi
07-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Useless? I just tried to use this thread to get some info about a prospect that I have not seen. That's what I thought WSI was for.
No, the thread became usless the instant you 2 started bickering like little school girls. I for one would have liked to have read an interesting thread about one of our recent draftees.

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 04:01 PM
No, the thread became usless the instant you 2 started bickering like little school girls. I for one would have liked to have read an interesting thread about one of our recent draftees.
My bad, I jumped straight to the last quote, I didn't read all the bickering. And just so you know, I wasn't bickering. I was asking. The OTHER 2 were bickering.

rdivaldi
07-09-2004, 04:03 PM
My bad, I jumped straight to the last quote, I didn't read all the bickering. And just so you know, I wasn't bickering. I was asking. The OTHER 2 were bickering.
No big deal, I think we both agree that the bickering is annoying.

Fungo
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Okay, then what conclusion should I draw from your statement that Whisler's mechanics are similar to Prior's?That his mechanics are similar to Prior's, plain & simple.

Click on this link and watch the video of Whisler.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/y2004/search.jsp?sc=team&sp=cha

His wind-up and delivery are very simialar to Prior's.

Randar68
07-10-2004, 09:57 PM
That his mechanics are similar to Prior's, plain & simple.

Click on this link and watch the video of Whisler.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/y2004/search.jsp?sc=team&sp=cha

His wind-up and delivery are very simialar to Prior's.
No, tool-boy can't make a connection between meechanics and actual abiilitty.

God forbid anyone talk about prospects, let alone give a scouting report on the guy...

how about this: if people can't read about prospects without firing off pithy and infantile pessimistic snips, then don't read about it.

Not directed at you Fungo, I'm just tired of the people that have a need to be disruptive for the sake of it.

Chisoxfn
07-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Watched Wes pitch last night. He's got a long ways to go, but you can see some raw potential their. The Sox are definately working with him on some things.

Also, he doesn't throw a curve. Its almost exclusively Fastball-Slider with an ocassional change plus the splitter he is developing.

bigdommer
07-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Watched Wes pitch last night. He's got a long ways to go, but you can see some raw potential their. The Sox are definately working with him on some things.

Also, he doesn't throw a curve. Its almost exclusively Fastball-Slider with an ocassional change plus the splitter he is developing.
I haven't paid attention in a week or so, but it looks like his overall pitching numbers are improving. That's a good sign I guess. If the guy has a decent arm, good mechanics, and if he's a good kid, I see no reason why he won't continue to improve.

jeremyb1
07-21-2004, 01:45 AM
He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.

Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.

Randar68
07-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.
I don't disagree, and for the record, the only comparison I made to Prior was purely in his delivery and mechanics. I also stated that his release point floats around and he's inconsistent with his command. Someone asked for a description, and one of the best ways to do that is to comnpare parts of a player's game to a well-known player. I tried to add the caveats so people wouldn't go nuts on me, but it didn't stop them.

The short of things: He has the physical ability to do either, IMO, he probably has better potential as a pitcher, and should concentrate on it, but I don't mind him DH'ing in his first partial season to allow the Sox' staff to get a better look at him. IMO, both his development as a hitter and a pitcher has been retarded by trying to do both at such a high level. Hopefully they have him settled into one role next year.

Randar68
07-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!

Wealz
07-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!
Would you honestly rather have Whisler than Syzmanski? Says a lot . . .

Randar68
07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Would you honestly rather have Whisler than Syzmanski? Says a lot . . .In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 02:29 AM
In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential. I was as high on Syzmanski as anyone, but I also wanted pitching and guys with high ceilings. The Sox liked what they saw in Whisler and he fell to them. The Sox probably would of taken B.J. but it came down to the fact that all the guys they liked kept coming to them and they weren't going to pass them up. I wouldn't either, they get paid the money to scout and these were the guys they liked.

From what I've heard the Sox were incredibly excited about the way this years draft worked out and I gotta admit, while I would of liked a few different people at certain slots, I think this draft has the potential to be one awesome draft.

I'll say one thing about Whisler, he has the body to be an ace and I think as he gets his mechanics down you'll see his velocity go up just a bit. But he's working on a splitter and he alreayd has a good amount of pitches, good ones at that, so with work, he's got the shot to be pretty good.

I love the fact that it appears he really has the body to hold up as a workhorse type pitcher, although it may be early for me to say it. On the other hand Gio has amazing stuff, but with his stature, you can't help but wonder how he'll hold up.

I love the fact that he has a good fastball and what I'd consider an awesome curve and a good to very good changeup. Its rare to see a high schooler with 3 good pitches.

Wealz
07-22-2004, 09:54 AM
In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential.On the one hand you discount Syzmanski, saying he only had half a great college season. (Whisler's college career was less than sterling.) On the other, you're trumpeting Whisler based on 23 innings in A-ball. I don't understand it.

As far as system depth goes, what does it really matter? The Sox have wasted millions of dollars and countless premium picks in recent years building up the system's pitching depth and have Carl Everett to show for it. That does not cut it. Their track record says they either cannot identify pitching prospects or keep them healthy. It's silly to continually employ a failed strategy, right?

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I was as high on Syzmanski as anyone, but I also wanted pitching and guys with high ceilings. The Sox liked what they saw in Whisler and he fell to them. The Sox probably would of taken B.J. but it came down to the fact that all the guys they liked kept coming to them and they weren't going to pass them up. I wouldn't either, they get paid the money (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=16,28012355,whitesoxinteractive .com,1) to scout and these were the guys they liked.

From what I've heard the Sox were incredibly excited about the way this years draft worked out and I gotta admit, while I would of liked a few different people at certain slots, I think this draft has the potential to be one awesome draft.

I'll say one thing about Whisler, he has the body to be an ace and I think as he gets his mechanics down you'll see his velocity go up just a bit. But he's working on a splitter and he alreayd has a good amount of pitches, good ones at that, so with work, he's got the shot (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=41,28012355,whitesoxinteractive .com,1) to be pretty good.

I love (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=10,28012355,whitesoxinteractive .com,1) the fact that it appears he really has the body to hold up as a workhorse type pitcher, although it may be early for me to say it. On the other hand Gio has amazing stuff, but with his stature, you can't help but wonder how he'll hold up.

I love (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=10,28012355,whitesoxinteractive .com,1) the fact that he has a good fastball and what I'd consider an awesome curve and a good to very good changeup. Its rare to see a high schooler with 3 good pitches.Gio's got a chance to be special but like you said the scary part with him is staying healthy. From your description of Wes it sounds like he's got a chance to be pretty good too, I know Syzmanski is supposed to be the best overall athlete in the draft but I believe Wes has an era around 2 and a half so far, so lets give him a shot before we declare that a bad pick.

Randar68
07-22-2004, 10:26 AM
I was as high on Syzmanski as anyone, but I also wanted pitching and guys with high ceilings. The Sox liked what they saw in Whisler and he fell to them. The Sox probably would of taken B.J. but it came down to the fact that all the guys they liked kept coming to them and they weren't going to pass them up. I wouldn't either, they get paid the money to scout and these were the guys they liked.

I'll say one thing about Whisler, he has the body to be an ace and I think as he gets his mechanics down you'll see his velocity go up just a bit. But he's working on a splitter and he alreayd has a good amount of pitches, good ones at that, so with work, he's got the shot to be pretty good.

I love the fact that it appears he really has the body to hold up as a workhorse type pitcher, although it may be early for me to say it. On the other hand Gio has amazing stuff, but with his stature, you can't help but wonder how he'll hold up.

I love the fact that he has a good fastball and what I'd consider an awesome curve and a good to very good changeup. Its rare to see a high schooler with 3 good pitches.
Yep. One other thing the Sox have been looking for recently is low-mileage arms as well, and Whisler has that. He definitely needs polish and refinement, but hopefully that comes with experience.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 10:28 AM
The Sox have wasted millions of dollars and countless premium picks in recent years
Premium picks? Aren't we talking about the ONLY organization in baseball who hasn't drafted above #15 for the past 10 year?

Let's be honest, the Sox haven't had a chance to grab an elite prospect for a pretty long time.

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Premium picks? Aren't we talking about the ONLY organization in baseball who hasn't drafted above #15 for the past 10 year?

Let's be honest, the Sox haven't had a chance to grab an elite prospect for a pretty long time.People seem to forget the fact that the sox are always drafting 15,16,17,18, always around that area. I do think however that they got an elite prospect this year in Gio, imo it's just a matter of him staying healthy and if he does, the sox have a special prospect.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
People seem to forget the fact that the sox are always drafting 15,16,17,18, always around that area. I do think however that they got an elite prospect this year in Gio, imo it's just a matter of him staying healthy and if he does, the sox have a special prospect.
They also landed what might be an elite prospect in Sweeney last year...

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 12:01 PM
They also landed what might be an elite prospect in Sweeney last year...Very true.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 12:20 PM
In general our system is pretty much back-loaded (thin at AAA/AA and full at A and Adv A). Considering all of the mid/long term signings that we have I pretty much think that we're in good shape for the next 2 to 3 years (barring any catastrophic injuries).

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
In general our system is pretty much back-loaded (thin at AAA/AA and full at A and Adv A). Considering all of the mid/long term signings that we have I pretty much think that we're in good shape for the next 2 to 3 years (barring any catastrophic injuries). Good assessment. BA and the other publications usually base their rankings heavily on whats in AA and AAA, and of course the really high ceiling guys in A ball, but on the most part the Sox got relatively nothing on those levels.

Why some may ask, well they have had a lot of guys come up through the system (albeit, not as many recently) and develop into good major league players, while others got hurt, flopped, or were traded. The Sox system has been a lot better then some are giving credit for.

Afterall, Rowand, Crede, Buehrel, Lee, Cameron (Mike), Parque, Garland (I consider him a Sox prospect), Magglio, Olivo (part A's/part Sox) have all had at least some sort of positive effect on the club. Thats saying at least something for a farm system.

Now the system has been a little stale for a bit, but its ranked low because the talent is raw and in lower levels, but given a few years and I think the Sox will once again be one of the better farm systems. Now they may end up dealing evne more talent away, but that could just be the Sox philosphy, develop it to a point to get other valuable players.

However, I don't see how they have wasted money on picks and what not. They have gotten some pretty high ceiling guys, some have busted, others look like they could be pretty good...ie Sweeney and Anderson.

Plus I love the potential of a lot of the guys in the Kanny rotation, Bmac, Tracey, Gio, and others. So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Good assessment. BA and the other publications usually base their rankings heavily on whats in AA and AAA, and of course the really high ceiling guys in A ball, but on the most part the Sox got relatively nothing on those levels.

So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.
Also, I think that most have forgotten that we've lost 3 young, quality pitchers this year due to injury (Honel, Wing, and Malone). I very much doubt that any minor league system can fully recover from that kind of loss quickly.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Also, I think that most have forgotten that we've lost 3 young, quality pitchers this year due to injury (Honel, Wing, and Malone). I very much doubt that any minor league system can fully recover from that kind of loss quickly.
Especially Honel and Wing. So many people over looked Wing, but he has always matched Honels' numbers everywhere he went and I really liked his upside and future as a lefty.

I never saw whether Wing finally underwent surgery like was rumored, but I'll be glad if he can come back healthy. I have more doubts about Honel though, who I have always kind of doubted at least a bit as a prospect (just in terms of all the hype he got).

Malone wasn't much of a prospect for a while, but the raw ability is definately their. Upstairs though, their are question-marks to say the least.

Wealz
07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Plus I love the potential of a lot of the guys in the Kanny rotation, Bmac, Tracey, Gio, and others. So what if its in lower levels, just cause BA doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean its not good or quality.
Perspective here, Gonzalez is going to have to throw at least 375 minor league innings before he gets to the big leagues. McCarthy and Tracey will have to throw around 225 innings. Too many things can go wrong in that time, that's why lower level pitching prospects being treated with skepticism is much deserved.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Perspective here, Gonzalez is going to have to throw at least 375 minor league innings before he gets to the big leagues. McCarthy and Tracey will have to throw around 225 innings. Too many things can go wrong in that time, that's why lower level pitching prospects being treated with skepticism is much deserved. Oh I fully agree about that. I have on flaw what so ever in being a sceptic when it comes to lower level pitching. However, sometimes you can see indicators, statistically to show a guy can move up through the systems quickly. I usually look at WHIP and I believe guys with good control that strikeout a lot of people can really cruise through the systems.

Tracey doesn't have great control, but the guy is fairly new to pitching and has a good arm with a lot of life to his pitches while McCarthy just has tremendous control, 3 good pitches, and I fully believe the ability to potentially get as high as 95 MPH as his body continues to fill out. He's up to about 200 pounds now, but I think he could easily hit the 220 area. He's also the tallest pitcher in the system or so I think.

Wealz
07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
It should not be a shock though that pitchers got hurt. This should be accounted for in White Sox draft strategy. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Oh I fully agree about that. I have on flaw what so ever in being a sceptic when it comes to lower level pitching. However, sometimes you can see indicators, statistically to show a guy can move up through the systems quickly. I usually look at WHIP and I believe guys with good control that strikeout a lot of people can really cruise through the systems.Personally I worry about injuries in the young guys coming up through the system. You never know what you're going to get out of 19-20 year old kids.

But in Brandon's case he has pretty much made it though about 300 minor league innings with relatively zero injuries. That's a good sign.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Personally I worry about injuries in the young guys coming up through the system. You never know what you're going to get out of 19-20 year old kids.

But in Brandon's case he has pretty much made it though about 300 minor league innings with relatively zero injuries. That's a good sign. Ya, you always have to worry about injuries. I really hope Brandon can stay healthy. Its rare to see a guy who could turn into a power pitcher, with his type of control. I think he's got the potential to be really good and it helps that he's off the radar in a sense.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:44 PM
It should not be a shock though that pitchers got hurt. This should be accounted for in White Sox draft strategy. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be.
True drafting high schoolers can be a crapshoot, but injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. Look at Wyatt Allen, Jon Rauch, Rocky Biddle, and Danny Wright for examples. College pitchers that all ran into shoulder and elbow problems.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Ya, you always have to worry about injuries. I really hope Brandon can stay healthy. Its rare to see a guy who could turn into a power pitcher, with his type of control. I think he's got the potential to be really good and it helps that he's off the radar in a sense.
His style/size kind of reminds me of a younger Black Jack. I doubt he'll be able to stay off the radar for long.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
His style/size kind of reminds me of a younger Black Jack. I doubt he'll be able to stay off the radar for long. Ya, thats definately a good assesment. He's a real battler on the mound. Your right though, this is probably his last year off the radar, cause if he can kick butt in Winston Salem the rest of hte year (and of course stay healthy) then he'll be in Bham and thats when he really can start making a name for himself.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Ya, thats definately a good assesment. He's a real battler on the mound. Your right though, this is probably his last year off the radar, cause if he can kick butt in Winston Salem the rest of hte year (and of course stay healthy) then he'll be in Bham and thats when he really can start making a name for himself.
Even more impressive than his poise on the mound is his control. I don't know if that's a function of the fact that he's not afraid to challenge hitters and doesn't nibble, or that he just has an uncanny ability to locate the ball. His current BB:K ratio is 2:21, that's just sick.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Damn right it is. He can throw his fastball wherever he wants to and is getting to that point with the changeup he just started throwing heavily this year.

rdivaldi
07-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Damn right it is. He can throw his fastball wherever he wants to and is getting to that point with the changeup he just started throwing heavily this year.
He has a good cutter as well, no?

Randar68
07-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Damn, Whisler continues to throw well. 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 5 K's. McCarthy had a nice outing too.

OEO Magglio
07-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Damn, Whisler continues to throw well. 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 5 K's. McCarthy had a nice outing too.Very, Very nice to see. Wes has been great so far and as for bmac his numbers are just ridiculous, he has basically pin point control and loads up on those k's.

dasox24
07-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Whisler doing well is a great sign, considering this guy has 4 plus pitches and is a lefty. His problem was just putting it all together, which it looks like he has done so far...

maurice
07-27-2004, 06:46 PM
McCarthy's outing was 6 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 SO, 2 ER. The start leaves him 3-0 with a 3.30 ERA at W-S, while Whisler is 3-0 with a 2.76 ERA for Kanny.

:gulp: