PDA

View Full Version : Thomas likely back in a few days

maggsmaggs
07-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Kenny was on ESPN's Mike and Mike and said that the Cortizone shot cleaned Frank's pain and he should be ready in a few days. He said end of the season surgery is likely, but not season ending. All in all, good news Maggs back and Frank feeling better should put us in great shape after the break:

Uribe/Harris-2b
Rowand/Timo-CF
Magglio-RF
Thomas-DH
Lee-LF
Konerko-1b
Valentin-SS
Crede-3b
C-Alomar

**Our line-up looks a lot more potent now

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
That's some GREAT news! :bandance:

DaveIsHere
07-09-2004, 09:23 AM
:hawk

"You can put that on the Mesaage Board YESSSS!!!!!!!"

VERY VERY GOOD NEWS, now lets go get that WS

jackbrohamer
07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Whew! :bandance:

mantis1212
07-09-2004, 09:49 AM
I was happy to hear this on the ride to work this morning also. I really hope this is not KW pressuring Frank to play hurt. I'm a big KW fan, except for when it comes to dealing with Frank.

Palehose13
07-09-2004, 09:50 AM
OH HAPPY DAY!

:supernana: :) :supernana: :) :supernana: :) :supernana:

DaveIsHere
07-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Is this on any sites anywhere??

Mickster
07-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Heard it this morning as well. I have to say that I am a bit skeptical of how quickly his ankle pain dissipiated. I am, however, cautiously optimistic. :?:

Brian26
07-09-2004, 09:57 AM
This seems to be good news, but I have my doubts still.

The cortizone shots are an unpredictable treatment. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and most of the time they are a temporary band-aid that comes unglued a few weeks down the line. I think back to the 2000 season when Baldwin, Eldred and the half of our pitching staff were getting shots, and they all seemed to break down towards the end of the season anyway.

Hopefully Frank will be ok until after the season. I don't think the dark cloud hanging over this team has passed yet though.

Kadafi311
07-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Cautiously optimistic also.

If this is truly the case, damn our lineup is smokin!

:cheers:

harwar
07-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Its not going to be easy.Frank is huge and puts a lot of pressure of his ankles daily and as said before this is a temporary fix.
I've had jobs when i was younger where i had to work through the pain and its very draining.
I guess were going to see how mentally tough Frank is.
i just hope that he can deal with all of the pain that the bones chips and spurs are going to cause on down the line because a playoff run without THE BIG HURT just wouldn't be the same.
I've found that getting and staying mad:mad:helps to get thru it.

Flight #24
07-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Its not going to be easy.Frank is huge and puts a lot of pressure of his ankles daily and as said before this is a temporary fix.
I've had jobs when i was younger where i had to work through the pain and its very draining.
I guess were going to see how mentally tough Frank is.
i just hope that he can deal with all of the pain that the bones chips and spurs are going to cause on down the line because a playoff run without THE BIG HURT just wouldn't be the same.
I've found that getting and staying mad:mad:helps to get thru it.
Question for the drs out there - since it seems to be working, but it's temporary, is this something that's repeatable throughout the 2d half? If so, because itwokred once is it basically going to work each time? What side effects are there of that type of thing?

I know the Alonzo Mourning kidney thing was potentialy due to longterm usage of anti-inflammatories, so I'd think palyers would be VERY careful about that. But I'm not sure if doing it every 2-4 weeks for 3 months would wualify for any potential longterm impact. Hopefully not, and Frank can just go get his regular shot and stay on the field.

Regardless, We have a tough & important stretch after the break, so at least having him for that will be good, then hopefully if he has to go out for a while, it's during an easier stretch and he gets back in time for the postseason.

CyYoung5621
07-09-2004, 10:37 AM
good news!

hawkjt
07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Not a doctor but I do think they could do another shot in about 4-6 weeks that might get him thru the rest of the season. This is just a huge relief if it turns out to be true. We need Frank to have a chance. Maybe pinch run for him more in late innings. Baby him along cuz we need those walks and HRs.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2004, 10:44 AM
I would imagine that Frank will not play during the Mariners' series, which leaves the door open for Maggs to get some playing time. Both of them should be ready to go after the 'break, when the Sox travel to Oakland (*shudders*).

Mickster
07-09-2004, 10:46 AM
On a more positive note, KW did say that Frank will not go on the DL (even for 15 days) which means that the remaining 3 games, coupled with the 3 days off for the AS break, should be enough time for him to rest before the 2nd half begins. :fingers crossed:

Iguana775
07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Heard it this morning as well. I have to say that I am a bit skeptical of how quickly his ankle pain dissipiated. I am, however, cautiously optimistic. :?:
Yes, I am cautious as well.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 01:16 PM
If true that's fantastic but remember Thomas puts all of his weight on that foot when he swings.

This is a dicey proposition at best.

I don't think the Sox have any choice here they badly need Thomas in the lineup but I hope to God this isn't a flashback to 1973.

Sox outfielder Ken Henderson tore up his knee in a collision at home plate with the A's in Chicago. The Sox were in first place by I think four games or so.

The Sox said the injury wasn't serious and REFUSED (that's right that's the exact word) to allow Henderson to have surgery on it. (Henderson said he knew something was seriously wrong...)

It turns out that Ken tore some ligaments and stuff and basically wound up missing the rest of the year because it took the Sox a month before they realized Henderson was right in the first place.

Lip

A.T. Money
07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I have even better news than this thread....

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.
:dtroll:

jabrch
07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I have even better news than this thread....
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.
:dtroll:

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 03:52 PM
On a more positive note, KW did say that Frank will not go on the DL (even for 15 days) which means that the remaining 3 games, coupled with the 3 days off for the AS break, should be enough time for him to rest before the 2nd half begins. :fingers crossed:
This makes sense. That would give him 9 days of rest before the team goes to Oakland for an 8 game roadie. I imagine if he is not feeling better by next Thursday, they would put him on the DL retroactive, and call up an arm for the A's, Rangers, Injuns, and no days off until August.

StepsInSC
07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
GREATEST NEWS EVAR.

In your face CallMeNuts (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=440893&postcount=20)!

Deadguy
07-09-2004, 04:20 PM
From the outside looking in, it looks to me like KW is just setting Thomas up for a negative PR campaign.

Since KW is now on record as saying that FT will be back in a few days and will not go on the DL, if Thomas elects to have surgery, he will face the ire of the fans and the media as a result.

With all these conflicting reports that Thomas has not reacted well to the cortisone shot, and OG on record as saying that the return of MG will be predicated by Thomas moving to the DL, what in the hell is going on here?

I don't want to see Thomas out there if he is 75%. He can still draw walks, but this will obviously affect his baserunning, and if he can't hit for power, then what is the point of having him out there? I'd much rather see Joe Borchard or a trade made for someone like Carl Everett than see Thomas' BA to continue to slide into the .230s by the middle of August, and THEN see him have to elect to have surgery. Get it taken care of as soon as possible and lets have an FT at 100% for the stretch run.

And KW, ****. Unless you're getting this info. from FT himself, don't comment on how other player's are reacting to their injuries, because you obviously can't feel the pain they're going through. Of course the cynic in me realizes that KW is just setting Thomas up, much like he did in the offseason.....:angry:

RKMeibalane
07-09-2004, 04:29 PM
From the outside looking in, it looks to me like KW is just setting Thomas up for a negative PR campaign.

Since KW is now on record as saying that FT will be back in a few days and will not go on the DL, if Thomas elects to have surgery, he will face the ire of the fans and the media as a result.

With all these conflicting reports that Thomas has not reacted well to the cortisone shot, and OG on record as saying that the return of MG will be predicated by Thomas moving to the DL, what in the hell is going on here?

I don't want to see Thomas out there if he is 75%. He can still draw walks, but this will obviously affect his baserunning, and if he can't hit for power, then what is the point of having him out there? I'd much rather see Joe Borchard or a trade made for someone like Carl Everett than see Thomas' BA to continue to slide into the .230s by the middle of August, and THEN see him have to elect to have surgery. Get it taken care of as soon as possible and lets have an FT at 100% for the stretch run.

And KW, ****. Unless you're getting this info. from FT himself, don't comment on how other player's are reacting to their injuries, because you obviously can't feel the pain they're going through. Of course the cynic in me realizes that KW is just setting Thomas up, much like he did in the offseason.....:angry:
I just hope this doesn't turn out be like 1999, when Jerry Manuel and Ron Schuler accused Frank of "quitting the team," when the podiatrist who removed the bone spur from Thomas' ankle said he shouldn't have played at all that season. The Sox organization has done an extremely poor job handling these situations, primarily because they have too many people in the front-office who don't think before they speak.

I agree with your assesment that Frank should surgery if he doesn't feel better by next week. The Sox need everyone healthy if they want to overtake Minnesota.

jabrch
07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
The anti-frank conspiracy theories come out about once a month. They make me smile.

Why would KW not want Frank to succeed this season? What possible motivation would KW have to 'set Frank up'? That makes no sense to me.

Deadguy
07-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Why would KW not want Frank to succeed this season? .
Who said KW doesn't want Frank to succeed?

What possible motivation would KW have to 'set Frank up'? That makes no sense to me.
Because, KW and FT have a very volatile relationship. You don't exactly have to read between the lines to understand this. It was well established that the Sox were not going to retain Thomas if he turned down his 6 million dollar option (this was confirmed by FT in April). The only reason FT is still on this team is because of his relationship to JR.

Another possible reason for KW to do this is to shift the blame from himself to others if the Sox fall short of the Playoffs. He's already made many aggressive moves during his tenure as a GM, and we have 0 Playoff appearances to show for it. Considering KW's gigantic ego and his professional jealousy of FT, I wouldn't be surprised if KW is trying to set FT up.

jabrch
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Who said KW doesn't want Frank to succeed?

Because, KW and FT have a very volatile relationship. You don't exactly have to read between the lines to understand this. It was well established that the Sox were not going to retain Thomas if he turned down his 6 million dollar option (this was confirmed by FT in April). The only reason FT is still on this team is because of his relationship to JR.

Another possible reason for KW to do this is to shift the blame from himself to others if the Sox fall short of the Playoffs. He's already made many aggressive moves during his tenure as a GM, and we have 0 Playoff appearances to show for it. Considering KW's gigantic ego and his professional jealousy of FT, I wouldn't be surprised if KW is trying to set FT up.

I can't possibly believe that whatever this relationship is between Williams and Thomas that it is more important to either of them than winning. It doesn't seem fathomable to either to me. As far as Frank's option this year - the reason the team wouldn't have picked up his option for 8 or 9mm (I forget) if he turned down his 6mm option was that he wasn't worth it last year - and there was still some doubt as to how healthy/ready he was. If Colon took the deal we offered him, and the choice was between keeping Frank or keeping Magglio, I can't blame KW for considering Magglio a more valuable asset. Look - let's assume Frank's representation did a decent job shopping him around behind the scenes. He likely talked (indirectly) with all the teams looking for hitting, in particular those on the west coast. Obviously none were willing to pay him more - at least not enough more to leave Chicago.

I just don't get why KW would set Frank up, would root against him, or would want anything other than the best for him on the field - since it will only make him look better if the team wins. I don't like conspiracy theories in general - and the "everyone is out to get Frank" thing drives me nuts - dat's all.

Mohoney
07-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I was happy to hear this on the ride to work this morning also. I really hope this is not KW pressuring Frank to play hurt. I'm a big KW fan, except for when it comes to dealing with Frank.

If anything, I would think that Frank would be pressuring Kenny to play even though he's hurt.

After 15 seasons, and only two postseason appearances, I'm sure Frank can sense that realistic postseason chances are few and far between. With this team having a realistic chance to win a division, I think it would take a broken bone or torn muscle/ligament/tendon to sideline him for an extended period. Anything else, and Frank will try his absolute best to play through it. If these medicinal remedies can keep him pain-free, my belief is that he'll try to play through this injury and just have the surgery at the end of the season.

Deadguy
07-09-2004, 05:30 PM
He likely talked (indirectly) with all the teams looking for hitting, in particular those on the west coast. Obviously none were willing to pay him more - at least not enough more to leave Chicago.

That's absolute BS. Thomas had within 5 days after the conclusion of the WS to make this decision, so you are implying that Tellum and other teams ILLEGALLY discussed Thomas' value and the possibility of signing Thomas to a longterm deal, while Thomas had to make a decision of whether or not to accept the 6 million dollar option. If you got some insiders for some west coast teams, please share, otherwise you are just making a very wrong speculation.

As far as Frank's option this year - the reason the team wouldn't have picked up his option for 8 or 9mm (I forget) if he turned down his 6mm option was that he wasn't worth it last year - and there was still some doubt as to how healthy/ready he was. If Colon took the deal we offered him, and the choice was between keeping Frank or keeping Magglio, I can't blame KW for considering Magglio a more valuable asset
Wrong. It was KW who didn't want to pick up the option, not the "team". And why would there be some doubt as to how "healhty" Thomas was last year. He hit over 40 homeruns and drove in over 100 runs. Are you confusing the 2003 off season with the 2002 off season?

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Obviously Kenny was wrong wasn't he?
I guess there is more going on here then meets the eye with people saying things and then having the exact opposite take place.

Lip

Flight #24
07-09-2004, 09:58 PM
That's absolute BS. Thomas had within 5 days after the conclusion of the WS to make this decision, so you are implying that Tellum and other teams ILLEGALLY discussed Thomas' value and the possibility of signing Thomas to a longterm deal, while Thomas had to make a decision of whether or not to accept the 6 million dollar option. If you got some insiders for some west coast teams, please share, otherwise you are just making a very wrong speculation.

Setting aside the fact that it's known that such discussions happen on an almost regular basis (you think Maggs doesn't have a pretty good idea who will give him his $15mil/yr or whatever BEFORE he's officially on the market?), it could easily just be Tellum setting up teams by saying "when Frank's window opens, be ready because we'll need to make a quick decision". No tampering, and it's highly likely.

And FWIW - didn't he pick up his option after '02, then after '03 he had the contrac renegotiated to the current one? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the timing involved.

Mohoney
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I just hope this doesn't turn out be like 1999, when Jerry Manuel and Ron Schuler accused Frank of "quitting the team," when the podiatrist who removed the bone spur from Thomas' ankle said he shouldn't have played at all that season. The Sox organization has done an extremely poor job handling these situations, primarily because they have too many people in the front-office who don't think before they speak.

I agree with your assesment that Frank should surgery if he doesn't feel better by next week. The Sox need everyone healthy if they want to overtake Minnesota.

Jerry Manuel and Ron Schueler. Just realizing that these two useless turds aren't here anymore makes me feel a whole lot better.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2004, 10:08 PM
ESPN.com is now saying that Frank will likely be placed on the DL, retroactive to last Tuesday. I wish someone could give us a more definitive answer here.

Vernam
07-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Obviously Kenny was wrong wasn't he?
I guess there is more going on here then meets the eye with people saying things and then having the exact opposite take place.
LipYes, it really is curious. IMO, the equation is this:

Frank thinks he can't make it through the season without surgery and wants it done soon rather than later, so he can get back for the playoffs.
KW thinks surgery will put Frank out for the duration of 2004 -- including playoffs -- and was therefore hacked off and/or disbelieving about the injury's severity.
They both clearly want desperately to make the playoffs and Series, so conspiracy theories don't ring true to me. But the difference is that KW is willing to risk going without Frank in October if playing him now gets us to October. Whereas watching the Series while on crutches would have to be the cruelest torture Frank could imagine.:(:
As a fan, I'd sure treasure a Series under any conditions, but getting there without Frank would leave a hollow feeling, almost like when Walter Payton didn't get to score in the Super Bowl. Almost.

Vernam

StepsInSC
07-10-2004, 01:46 AM
They both clearly want desperately to make the playoffs and Series, so conspiracy theories don't ring true to me. But the difference is that KW is willing to risk going without Frank in October if playing him now gets us to October. Whereas watching the Series while on crutches would have to be the cruelest torture Frank could imagine.:(:
As a fan, I'd sure treasure a Series under any conditions, but getting there without Frank would leave a hollow feeling, almost like when Walter Payton didn't get to score in the Super Bowl.

Vernam
So true. Although Frank has never made the best decisions (at least when it comes to opening his mouth) I hope he'll make the best one in this case, and whatever one will get him healthy for the last part of the season. I believe this team can contend without him, but it would be a shame to see them in the playoffs without him.