PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Carlton...

kojak
07-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Back in the mid 80's, my great friend Rob (now exiled to Charlotte- may he RIP) and I sorted stumbled onto this pretty amazing secret. We were camped out in line at UIC (I think) to get our hands on some coveted David Gilmour tickets and we were musing on how much Gilmour resembled our hero Mister Carlton Fisk.
http://www.allfloyd.com/images/covers/solo/about-face.jpg

Bending down to get a sheet cake from my backpack, I turned to see three
smartly dressed men standing in front of me. Before I realize what is happening to me, I am rolled tightly in long sheets of cellophane, transported to an international airport, and placed on a waiting jet-liner. All this being too much for me to comprehend, I passed out.

Upon awakening, I found myself in a strange, foreign speaking
nation ("Dalas nekcihc dna tihs nekcihc neewteb ecnereffid eht wonk
ot suineg a ekat t'nseod ti."). Alone, fearing my escape impossible, I sought comfort in the arms of a Cubs shortstop. With the scent of his failure still burned into my subconscious, he betrays me into the hands of three scientists who are engaged in diabolical, avant-garde experiments previously performed only on insects and other small, meaningless creatures. Using me as their subject, they are delighted with the results. For the first
time, a human being is transformed into a ("shhh... it's secret").

Meanwhile, back at UIC...

My friend Rob, now chain-smoking 40 packs of cigarettes a day, sits at a local bar and has a few beers with the regulars. Bored, everyone's attention turns to the television set that just hangs from the wall. ("Welcome to White Sox Baseball!"). Suddenly, Crazy Al says, "S-say, Rob, there sure is something familiar about that catcher." To which a terrified Rob replies, "Oh my God! That catcher! It's David Gilmour!"

And the lesson we learn from this story is, next time you place your
order, don't forget to say, "No anchovies please."

Cubbiesuck13
07-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Back in the mid 80's, my great friend Rob (now exiled to Charlotte- may he RIP) and I sorted stumbled onto this pretty amazing secret. We were camped out in line at UIC (I think) to get our hands on some coveted David Gilmour tickets and we were musing on how much Gilmour resembled our hero Mister Carlton Fisk.
http://www.allfloyd.com/images/covers/solo/about-face.jpg

Bending down to get a sheet cake from my backpack, I turned to see three
smartly dressed men standing in front of me. Before I realize what is happening to me, I am rolled tightly in long sheets of cellophane, transported to an international airport, and placed on a waiting jet-liner. All this being too much for me to comprehend, I passed out.

Upon awakening, I found myself in a strange, foreign speaking
nation ("Dalas nekcihc dna tihs nekcihc neewteb ecnereffid eht wonk
ot suineg a ekat t'nseod ti."). Alone, fearing my escape impossible, I sought comfort in the arms of a Cubs shortstop. With the scent of his failure still burned into my subconscious, he betrays me into the hands of three scientists who are engaged in diabolical, avant-garde experiments previously performed only on insects and other small, meaningless creatures. Using me as their subject, they are delighted with the results. For the first
time, a human being is transformed into a ("shhh... it's secret").

Meanwhile, back at UIC...

My friend Rob, now chain-smoking 40 packs of cigarettes a day, sits at a local bar and has a few beers with the regulars. Bored, everyone's attention turns to the television set that just hangs from the wall. ("Welcome to White Sox Baseball!"). Suddenly, Crazy Al says, "S-say, Rob, there sure is something familiar about that catcher." To which a terrified Rob replies, "Oh my God! That catcher! It's David Gilmour!"

And the lesson we learn from this story is, next time you place your
order, don't forget to say, "No anchovies please."

wow... good story

Realist
07-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Never in my wildest dreams would I ever order anchovies on anything, but now ya got me thinking.

:wired: -- "Hey, man... How long does this stuff last?"

kojak
07-09-2004, 01:51 PM
If someone were to make a Top Ten list of the all-time worst Sox moments, surely 1919 ranks #1, but I have to say that second place would be the way the Sox treated Carlton Fisk at the end of his career. That was truly shameful and Reinsdork's darkest moment, IMHO.