PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey slams HR throwbacks and other nasty things

inta
07-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Amazing new article by the tribs Morrisey in tomorrows paper.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040708morrissey,1,5353629.column?coll=cs-home-utility

best sox article this season in my book... and that's before he even gets to his punking of The Jay.

pearso66
07-08-2004, 11:43 PM
I knew there was a reason I was coming here tonight. I was going to post that article, and I forgot completely, I was looking for it, and by the time i was done, I forgot. Great article. Maybe this will show more people to NOT throw the ball back. And he's right, they should be thrown out for just throwin the ball back, not for almost hitting someone. Although if on a foul ball and a little kid throws it back, not knowing what they are doin, thats somethin else, let them stay.

Kilroy
07-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Amazing new article by the tribs Morrisey in tomorrows paper.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040708morrissey,1,5353629.column?coll=cs-home-utility

best sox article this season in my book... and that's before he even gets to his punking of The Jay.
First of all, it almost hit Uribe, not Willie Harris. Second, being at that game and seeing that drillrod lead out made my day. I literally could not clap loud enough. Good job by Morrisey getting this word out...

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 01:10 AM
First of all, it almost hit Uribe, not Willie Harris. Second, being at that game and seeing that drillrod lead out made my day. I literally could not clap loud enough. Good job by Morrisey getting this word out...
The funniest part was you could see the guy wind up on TV, but they quickly cut to some other camera and Hawk and DJ said nothing about it... It was like mentioning it would only cause it to happen more often, I was laughing my ass off.

MrRoboto83
07-09-2004, 02:03 AM
i cringe everytime i see a ball thrown back, hopefully it will stop. Some people just don't have a clue

SSN721
07-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Thank god its not just the small enclave of fans on here that feel this is a horrible thing going on. I think it is sickening myself and beleive that anyone should get thrown out for throwing the ball, if it is a kid, that is more difficult, I almost say throw the kid out anyway, might teach them something. How inherently wrong it is because obviously his/her parents didnt teach them how stupid it is. I know that that is rather Draconian but I hate the practice and have no problem with any measures of eliminating it.

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2004, 08:09 AM
I made a comment about this in the chatroom last week.

Why is it that as a fan you will get ejected from the park for throwing objects onto the field (beer cups, etc), but throwing the ball back onto the field is somehow different? What do you think will do more damage to someone's head, an empty plastic beer cup or a solid major league baseball?

Wake up MLB and start levying major punishment to these jerks!!

zach23
07-09-2004, 08:25 AM
While reading this I get the feeling he is making fun of the Sox fans that despise the tradition of throwing the ball back. The whole tone of the article seems like he is trying to show that people make too big a deal of it.
This line is a total slam to the Sox and their fans, "At times it seems as if the Sox's whole identity is that they're not the Cubs."

Brian26
07-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Yep, I noticed this immediately. It was Juan Uribe playing second. He is right, though, in that Uribe did stare out there for about a minute, and really I don't blame him. The ball landed, literally, three feet from where Uribe was standing, and it probably would have stung if it hit him in the head.

inta
07-09-2004, 09:03 AM
While reading this I get the feeling he is making fun of the Sox fans that despise the tradition of throwing the ball back. The whole tone of the article seems like he is trying to show that people make too big a deal of it.
This line is a total slam to the Sox and their fans, "At times it seems as if the Sox's whole identity is that they're not the Cubs."
nah i think you're being a bit paranoid on this one.
that's not really a slam in my book, we're not the cubs (thank god), and he used it to illustrate that using cubbie traditions is stupid. especially in a ballpark that takes baseball seriously.

Fungo
07-09-2004, 09:29 AM
I guess Rick still calls it Comiskey too.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2004, 09:40 AM
That was a great article. It's about time somebody said something about this. I don't understand why people think throwing home run balls back is funny in the first place. I've always wondered how the tradition got started at Wrigley, and why it's still practiced. What is so bad about having a home run ball from an opposing player land near you?

I just don't understand any tradition that's Cubs-related. They do some weird things on the North Side of town. As Sox fans, we would do well to avoid following their lead.

Flight #24
07-09-2004, 10:03 AM
This line is a total slam to the Sox and their fans, "At times it seems as if the Sox's whole identity is that they're not the Cubs."I gotta say, I took it the same way zach23 did. It's a tongue-in-cheek, backhanded slap at Sox fans.

If this keeps up, John Cusack will be sitting in the booth with Hawk and D.J. after singing during the seventh-inning stretch. And Timo Perez will start referring to himself as a "gladiator."

You can see the seriousness of what we're dealing with here.
People have been throwing homers back for a while at Comiskey, so non-native plants already have established roots on the South Side. That doesn't make it any less dangerous"If you throw something on the field that disrupts the play of the game, you will be ejected," said Scott Reifert, the Sox's director of media relations. "But in some cases, we choose not to exercise the full extent of it. We don't want to get to the point where we're ejecting an 8-year-old girl for throwing the ball back."

I say we eject her and her American Girl doll if that's what it takes to rid Comiskey of this great menace.
If I'm in charge of the Sox (and it's only a matter of time), anyone who throws a home-run ball onto the field gets kicked out of the park, then gets submerged in boiling oil. There is nothing inherently wrong with the traditions at Wrigley. There is something inherently wrong with them making a home on the South Side. What's next, lions turning into vegans?It's all about how Sox fans are taking themselves too seriously. That we consider this to be a "menace", punishable by "boiling in oil", and that even an 8-year old girl should be booted because it's THAT serious an offense.

It's almost a direct slap at us veiled in a "pro-Sox" article.

jackbrohamer
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I gotta say, I took it the same way zach23 did. It's a tongue-in-cheek, backhanded slap at Sox fans.
That's how I read it as well, a smartass dig at Sox fans. He basically says that Sox fans hate the practice of throwing back balls just because the Cubs do it. Instead of the real reason which that it is stupid and that only a complete moron would ever throw a ball back.

34rancher
07-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I made a comment about this in the chatroom last week.

Why is it that as a fan you will get ejected from the park for throwing objects onto the field (beer cups, etc), but throwing the ball back onto the field is somehow different? What do you think will do more damage to someone's head, an empty plastic beer cup or a solid major league baseball?

Wake up MLB and start levying major punishment to these jerks!!

For some strange reason, I thought that they had a rule that if fans throw stuff on the field and created a dangerous environment, then the home team was supposed to forfeit. Isn't that what they used against the Disco Demolition night 25 years ago? Why wouldn't they also use that every time the fams littered the field with debris at Wrigley?

jabrch
07-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I don't think we need to "throw them out" of the park. But taking them from their seats to security, a 1 inning long lecture, and then being moved to different seats so that people in the OF don't see them back might send the right message.

OzzieBall
07-09-2004, 10:40 AM
I dont think it is a backhanded slap toward us at all. In fact, and I am someone who looks for these same sarcastic cracks at Sox Nation, I thought it was a pretty sweet article. You know, they dont all hate us.

MarqSox
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I dont think it is a backhanded slap toward us at all. In fact, and I am someone who looks for these same sarcastic cracks at Sox Nation, I thought it was a pretty sweet article. You know, they dont all hate us.
I concur. If he meant it as a slam against us, he didn't do a very good job, since we're not even sure.

Even if everything Morrissey wrote was sarcasm, I don't care it was right on the mark, all of it. It had to be said, even if he was rolling his eyes while he said it.

Still, the fact that he alluded to Moronotti as a "prince of darkness" tells me he is on our side.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Having wanted to catch a home run ball all my life (I never even got one in batting practice!) I could never understand WHY when someone was fortunate enough to grab one, they'd immediately throw it back.

That goes beyond stupidity. But what do you expect from Cub fans.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
If Morrisey is trying to be the Cub-une's answer to the DRILLROD in the Scum Times,he's doing a great job.I sensed ,even toungue in cheek,that this tripe was yet another knock on the Sox article.Sorry Sox fans pay attention at games,Rick.There are more important things in life than yuppie scum bars and praying to God you can pull out of your parking space.:mad: :mad:

John Barrett
07-09-2004, 12:23 PM
KEEP NO BALLS ... HAVE NO BALLS!:angry:

maurice
07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
It was a good, overdue article and should become official Sox policy . . . especially the "boiling in oil" part.:wink:

inta
07-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Having wanted to catch a home run ball all my life (I never even got one in batting practice!) I could never understand WHY when someone was fortunate enough to grab one, they'd immediately throw it back.

That goes beyond stupidity. But what do you expect from Cub fans.

Lip
I feel the exact same way.
I wonder how many flub fans would throw back griffey's 500th HR if it landed in their old style.

Dan H
07-09-2004, 05:06 PM
That's how I read it as well, a smartass dig at Sox fans. He basically says that Sox fans hate the practice of throwing back balls just because the Cubs do it. Instead of the real reason which that it is stupid and that only a complete moron would ever throw a ball back.
If it is a smartass dig at us, who cares? Since when has the media been our friend anyway? I agree. Only a moron would throw a ball back. Or want to identify with someone who goes "Woo-woo." Or fans who think a century of losing is lovable. Or many other things that Cub fans think is great, including the Disneyland atmosphere at Wrigley.

Blob
07-09-2004, 05:13 PM
It'a major league home run....KEEP IT or give to a kid who will enjoy it.

Did anyone see that moron throw back Griffey's 501st back last night? THAT is a dope.

jackbrohamer
07-09-2004, 06:11 PM
If it is a smartass dig at us, who cares? Since when has the media been our friend anyway? I agree. Only a moron would throw a ball back. Or want to identify with someone who goes "Woo-woo." Or fans who think a century of losing is lovable. Or many other things that Cub fans think is great, including the Disneyland atmosphere at Wrigley.

Since I'm a Sox fan, I care if he's insulting me. He never suggests throwing a ball back is per se stupid. He only says Sox fan object to it because Cub fans do it.

His column fits perfectly in the recent 's media theme, set forth in the Fox "poll" last week, that Sox only care about what the Cubs do, while the Cub fans just care about championships. Which is a freaking joke and I'm tired of hearing it.

Huisj
07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I feel the exact same way.
I wonder how many flub fans would throw back griffey's 500th HR if it landed in their old style.
They would quick take their vynil covered $2 MTA Pro baseball they bought at K-Mart out from under their seat and throw that one back instead. And everyone would cheer anyway.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Morrissey was being insulting to Sox Fans (big surprise) by asserting Sox Fans only care about not being Cubs Fans. That's silly and anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes visiting this site's features knows it is not true.

However Morrissey did Sox Fans a favor by devoting an entire column to warning others not to throw back home run balls at Sox Park. He ought to do another about not doing the wave or peeing in the sinks.

:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
07-09-2004, 07:12 PM

Did anyone see that moron throw back Griffey's 501st back last night? THAT is a dope.
EXACTLY!!!! :angry: :angry:

WSox8404
07-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I guess Rick still calls it Comiskey too.
That's what it will always be to me.....

OurBitchinMinny
07-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Things that should be banned at comiskey: If security doesnt remove them they should be shamed into leaving

#1 Throwing a ball back on the field
#2 Starting and/or participating in the wave
#3 Wearing cubs memorabilia (I guess an exception for the interleague games)
#4 Being over 20, catching a foul ball and not giving it to the youngest kid around you

I was at a game at the dome and those pansies throw ball back onto the field too. I was at garcias debut, the game the sox hit 5 HRs and they threw all 5 of them back. It was sickening. Twins fans have become almost as sad

nasox
07-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Things that should be banned at comiskey: If security doesnt remove them they should be shamed into leaving

#1 Throwing a ball back on the field
#2 Starting and/or participating in the wave
#3 Wearing cubs memorabilia (I guess an exception for the interleague games)
#4 Being over 20, catching a foul ball and not giving it to the youngest kid around you

I was at a game at the dome and those pansies throw ball back onto the field too. I was at garcias debut, the game the sox hit 5 HRs and they threw all 5 of them back. It was sickening. Twins fans have become almost as sad
I'd say for number four, if over 30.

For all who think that this article was a slap, get some more tinfoil for the hat.

Jerko
07-09-2004, 11:28 PM

Well, that DID happen at Miller Park so it was probably a stupid ass Cub fan that went to the game thinking the jerkoffs were still in town! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Vernam
07-10-2004, 12:05 AM
This line is a total slam to the Sox and their fans, "At times it seems as if the Sox's whole identity is that they're not the Cubs."I didn't read Morrisey's column as very anti-Sox, but maybe I'm just desensitized after the Mariotti/McNeil/Harrelson/Boers/Bernstein dust-ups. :redneck

As for our identity being "We're not the Cubs," um . . . I can live with that! However, I'd prefer "They're not the Sox." Let's make the distinction even clearer by winning a World Series. :bandance:

Vernam (first-ever dancing banana -- did I do that right?)

Dan H
07-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Since I'm a Sox fan, I care if he's insulting me. He never suggests throwing a ball back is per se stupid. He only says Sox fan object to it because Cub fans do it.

His column fits perfectly in the recent 's media theme, set forth in the Fox "poll" last week, that Sox only care about what the Cubs do, while the Cub fans just care about championships. Which is a freaking joke and I'm tired of hearing it.
All I am saying is that I am not worrying about media insults anymore. After years of it, I just refuse to get too excited about it. Maybe Morrisey is insulting us, maybe he isn't. Don't care at this point.

Kilroy
07-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I've been going to games for 30 years, and haven't gotten a home-run or a legit foul ball. I once got one tossed to me by Manny Ramirez, but that's not the same. If I get a ball, and there's a kid nearby that's not related to me, they have no chance of getting the ball from me.