PDA

View Full Version : If Frank Thomas needs surgery...

Aidan
07-08-2004, 06:05 PM
...Kenny Williams should go after Carl Everett again. The guys on ESPN1000 talked about this. He could be our DH and play a little CF as well. I know most of you want Steve Finley but Everett could probably be acquired from Montreal for next to nothing. He can switch hit and he did really well for us last season.

Carl Everett's stats with the White Sox last season (73 games)
.301 AVG
.377 OBP
.473 SLG
10 HR
41 RBI

Everyone criticized him for his defense in the outfield last season but he only had 2 errors in 68 games, playing mostly in CF. If Frank needs surgery, I would acquire Everett as soon as possible to fill our DH need. Then when Frank gets back for the stretch run we could have this lineup...

2B Juan Uribe
LF Carlos Lee
RF Magglio Ordonez
DH Frank Thomas
CF Carl Everett
SS Jose Valentin
1B Paul Konerko
3B Joe Crede
C Sandy Alomar Jr.

HomeFish
07-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Outfield errors by Carl accounted for like half our runs in the Montreal series, so his defensive abilities may have declined. I'd love to have him back as a DH, though.

harwar
Carl can be the big clutch hitter you need in the playoffs(like last year if we made it) but i wouldn't want to see him anywhere but DH.

Cubbiesuck13
i think he has been injured a couple times this season himself. also, he is not doing so hot this year. last year it was a good move but i don't think he is the answere. i would rather see LTP brought up. I think that Paul will DH and Gload will play 1st most of the time and they will bring back Diaz or Rauch.

jabrch
07-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Cheap - and to DH - ok.

Expensive - or to play the field - Nope

Cowch44
07-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Let's get this guy back:wink:
:canseco

Palehose13
07-08-2004, 06:11 PM

Isn't he in jail or under house arrest or something else making him unavailable?

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I thought about this idea as well when Magglio went down. I would've loved to see Carl back this season but it would've costed too much for us to sign him. The expos got him cheaply and I'm sure they would give him up for next to nothing.

Aidan
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I thought about this idea as well when Magglio went down. I would've loved to see Carl back this season but it would've costed too much for us to sign him. The expos got him cheaply and I'm sure they would give him up for next to nothing.Exactly, he's making only $3,000,000 this season but the Expos are going no where and are ranked last in team batting. They would take one of our minor league hitters in a second for Crazy Carl. Send Montreal Andres Torres for Carl Everett straight up.

Kadafi311
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Isn't he in jail or under house arrest or something else making him unavailable?He was selling weekend BBQ's at his home on the internet for $1,500. He's unavailable in more ways than one :D:

Palehose13
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
...Kenny Williams should go after Carl Everett again. The guys on ESPN1000 talked about this. He could be our DH and play a little CF as well. I know most of you want Steve Finley but Everett could probably be acquired from Montreal for next to nothing. He can switch hit and he did really well for us last season.

I heard that to, and like the idea. I would want him mostly to DH and sometimes play a corner OF spot to give Lee or Maggs a "rest" while they DH.

Palehose13
07-08-2004, 06:19 PM
He was selling weekend BBQ's at his home on the internet for $1,500. He's unavailable in more ways than one :D:

LOL! I'll take your word on that.

nitetrain8601
07-08-2004, 06:26 PM
What about Carlos Beltran once Houston decides they're out of it?

Aidan
07-08-2004, 06:26 PM
What about Carlos Beltran once Houston decides they're out of it?In a perfect world, but it would cost us too much.

Brian26
07-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Put me down for liking the Everett idea, too.

Aidan
07-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Put me down for liking the Everett idea, too.Yeah! Crazy Carl is rotting in Montreal. We could get him for next to nothing and I bet he would tear it up like he did last year in this lineup.

34 Inch Stick
07-09-2004, 10:43 AM
At the very least Carl would take the place of Gload, and that is a good thing.

enurb
07-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Delgado is another option. He is deadly when he's on and carry a club the same way Frank can. He is rumored to be on the market.

What would we have to pay? Borchard or Rauch or Diaz, perhaps. If it gets us Delgado, it is worth it.

I suppose the one problem with this scenario is that it creates a log-jam of 1b-DH types if/when Frank returns. That is a problem. However, you have a similar problem with the Everett scenario, unless you think Everett can handle CF on a full-time basis. Perhaps a Konerko/Delgado platoon would work upon Franks' return.

Six weeks I hear for surgery for Thomas? A top prospect for six weeks of Delgado and then having the luxury and insurance of Delgado for the playoff run???

Tough call. But, probably worth it.

1. Rowand/Harris - CF
2. Uribe - 2B
3. Delgado - 1B
4. Maggs - LF
5. Konerko - DH
6. Lee - LF
7. Valentin - SS
8. Crede - 3B
9. Alomar/Burke - C

JoseCanseco6969
07-09-2004, 12:24 PM
I love this idea! hey, why not get crazy carl and then big Jose as a bench player???