PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-8 Sox vs. Halos Post-Game Thread

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 04:22 PM
YES!!!! I think we found the bats!:)

mcfish
07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Did anyone else see that the Angels played with 5 infielders for Juan Uribe's at bat today? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Very interesting strategy.

DaveIsHere
07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
DAMN!! Only 15 hits this time :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2004, 04:24 PM
:bandance: :dtroll: :supernana:

Its good to see the Sox get a win! :gulp:

Erik The Red
YES!!!! I think we found the bats!:) You said it, we about equaled our offensive output during the entire 5-game losing streak.

gosox3072
BIG WIN!!!!

not much else to say:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
:dtroll: <---even he is happy!

TornLabrum
We've finally stopped the bleeding! Let's hope it's permanent!

Blob
07-08-2004, 04:25 PM
What a GAME!!!!! Awesome!!!

Hopefully this kind of a win can propell them in to a REALLY nice win streak. Even if not, start winning series again!

mealfred13
This post is just to rub it in to all the Uribe haters out there! Check out the clutch hitting today. Runs on 2 outs, Paul Konerko, Timo, Uribe, WILLIE! Bout freaking time.

Irishsox1
Good to see them win, now with Maggs back hopefully the offense will get back in groove. But, its the pitching thats been bad. 12 runs yesterday, 8 today. The All Star break couldn't come faster.

Also, will someone bring back Shoe's Foe's. I've never thought that his start this year was going to amount to much and he's proven me right. Bring back Shoe's Foe's!!!

Erik The Red
07-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Did anyone else see that the Angels played with 5 infielders for Juan Uribe's at bat today? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Very interesting strategy. I've seen that before. It's not common, but I've seen it. It fits in these situations. Basically, the thought is that the game's over if the ball is hit in the outfield, so they're overloading the infield to try to keep a ground ball/line drive from getting out.

The Cheat
Did anyone else see that the Angels played with 5 infielders for Juan Uribe's at bat today? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Very interesting strategy.
The Royals had the same defense for Crede's GW "ground rule Double" back in April.

It's the right defense for that situation... Watch more baseball.

Iguana775
White Sox Hitting....All or nothing.

nice win though. showed some pride with the come from behind win.

Viva Magglio
It will go down as one of those wins that could just as easily been a loss, but I am very pleased how we did not give up when we were down (unlike last night).

mealfred13
Good to see them win, now with Maggs back hopefully the offense will get back in groove. But, its the pitching thats been bad. 12 runs yesterday, 8 today. The All Star break couldn't come faster.
Well at least it looks like Buehrle's got his pitching in line, and if Garcia can avoid the longball, he's almost lights out.

WWIII
Did anyone else see Maggs up with a bat in the dugout when Uribe was coming up? That would have been poetic!. Uribe came through though. Just having Maggs around improves the offense.

Brian26
07-08-2004, 04:28 PM

It happens every once in awhile. Tony LaRussa has used it more than anyone I've ever seen.

eurotrash35
07-08-2004, 04:28 PM
:winner

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

mantis1212
07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Jerry Manuel pulled that manuever in 2000 against Cleveland. It worked like a charm as they grounded up the middle right at Ray Ray for the double play...

owensmouth
07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Finally got their hitting shoes back on. My gawd, Willie got a hit and Juan got a hit. Where are all those that wanta dump Konerko for a bag of balls? Wow.

Another come from behind one run victory. Oh yeah, we did it without Magglio or Frank. Maybe there is life after death.

Shoeless Joe
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
It's about damn time! What a relief too, these losses were becoming depressing. With Maggs possibly coming back tomorrow and the offense showing some life now, I hope that this can shake some of the cobwebs of suckiness that have been plaguing this team. That being said, go out there and beat Seattle will you?!

:gulp: <------- Victory Drink

Brian26
We've finally stopped the bleeding! Let's hope it's permanent!

It's nice to get a win, especially a come-from-behind one. However, there's a dark cloud hanging over this team right now with Frank's future in jeopardy.

Just looking at the schedule right now....we've got 12 weeks left in the season beginning this Sunday. So, if Frank were to have surgery tomorrow (hypothetically), and he could come back in 6 weeks (hypothetically), we would still have him for the remaining 6 weeks during the stretch run. That's not as bad as it first seemed, but there are still a lot of question marks.

OurBitchinMinny

Also, will someone bring back Shoe's Foe's. I've never thought that his start this year was going to amount to much and he's proven me right. Bring back Shoe's Foe's!!!
We also need to get Elo's foes going. He has been just as bad if not worse as of late

WSox8404
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Did you see the attendance figure? Almost 28,000 strong. When is the last time we had more than 20,000 for a day game. Great to see. Too bad Loaiza stunk again.

Kadafi311
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
We needed that one, BADLY!

Great job, boys! Bring on the slumping Mariners!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

LuvSox
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Nice win today. Wish they'd hit like that more often.

mcfish
07-08-2004, 04:33 PM
The Royals had the same defense for Crede's GW "ground rule Double" back in April.

It's the right defense for that situation... Watch more baseball.Sure, it may be a great defense for the situation, but how often do you seriously see it actually done in the majors? I should watch more baseball because I missed a game in April? Thanks for the advice - I said I hadn't seen it, not that I disagreed with it. I've never seen a triple play in person until yesterday - should I have watched more baseball for that too?

Edit: thanks to all of those who replied by saying it's rare and giving an example of when they saw it, instead of telling me that I haven't seen enough baseball because I've never seen a rare defensive strategy that is used in the majors what, 5 times a year? I pretty much posted it because no one else had and I thought it was interesting.

Kadafi311
07-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Did you see the attendance figure? Almost 28,000 strong. When is the last time we had more than 20,000 for a day game. Great to see. Too bad Loaiza stunk again.
How many of that 28,000 do you think stayed until the end? I was only able to follow along on Gameday today, due to damn work.

MrRoboto83
07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
this was a great win, hopefully it will gain up some momentum for this weekends series against Seattle. Esp with out Sox killer Mike Cameron, we pull a sweep, we can head into the break not in bad shape

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Sure, it may be a great defense for the situation, but how often do you seriously see it actually done in the majors? I should watch more baseball because I missed a game in April? Thanks for the advice - I said I hadn't seen it, not that I disagreed with it. I've never seen a triple play in person until yesterday - should I have watched more baseball for that too?
Not to rub it in, but i've seen that play at least a dozen times in my lifetime against the whitesox alone. I'm almost 22, so that's about 15 good years of baseball watching and I've seen it pretty often, at least once a year.

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Since we're all so happy about the bats, we forgot to mention the great bullpen work today. Let's not forget the nice 3 innings of hitless baseball thrown by Cotts, Marte and Jackson of all people.:gulp:

SpringfldFan
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
...the bad news is that it is Loaiza. Now we need to find ourselves a #3 :(:

mcfish
07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Not to rub it in, but i've seen that play at least a dozen times in my lifetime against the whitesox alone. I'm almost 22, so that's about 15 good years of baseball watching and I've seen it pretty often, at least once a year.162 games a year. I don't watch them all. This year I have watched a lot more than in previous years. It's a rare strategy that I happened to have never seen. Is it that hard to imagine?

maggliofan10
07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
or figure out how to get the old loaiza back

Uncle_Patrick
07-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I can recall Angels doing that to the Sox at least twice (I was at one of the games) before today and it never worked..

Win1ForMe
07-08-2004, 04:45 PM
It's nice to get a win, especially a come-from-behind one. However, there's a dark cloud hanging over this team right now with Frank's future in jeopardy.

Just looking at the schedule right now....we've got 12 weeks left in the season beginning this Sunday. So, if Frank were to have surgery tomorrow (hypothetically), and he could come back in 6 weeks (hypothetically), we would still have him for the remaining 6 weeks during the stretch run. That's not as bad as it first seemed, but there are still a lot of question marks.
Don't know if you're referencing it or not Brian, but an article on the Sox site basically says that surgery would DL him for at least 6 weeks.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040708&content_id=792765&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 04:46 PM
162 games a year. I don't watch them all. This year I have watched a lot more than in previous years. It's a rare strategy that I happened to have never seen. Is it that hard to imagine?
I wasn't ripping on you, I'm just saying it's not an uncommon play.

Win1ForMe
07-08-2004, 04:49 PM
...the bad news is that it is Loaiza. Now we need to find ourselves a #3 :(:Yeah, I alluded to this in the game thread. The rapid decline of Loaiza and Schoney means the Garcia trade didn't really improve us, just partially patched up a yet-to-be-discovered hole.

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I alluded to this in the game thread. The rapid decline of Loaiza and Schoney means the Garcia trade didn't really improve us, just partially patched up a yet-to-be-discovered hole.
.....and if Garcia keeps serving up the longball, we may be looking for a new #2.

SomebodyToldMe
07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
We also need to get Elo's foes going. He has been just as bad if not worse as of late
this might be needed.

TALK ABOUT AN ALL-STAR!

the_valenstache
07-08-2004, 05:05 PM

Hey, there's already a few websites you can visit for all of you that want to start up Schoe's Foes or Elo's Foes:

www.twinsbaseball.com (http://www.twinsbaseball.com)

www.cubs.com (http://www.cubs.com)

pudge
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Did anyone else see that the Angels played with 5 infielders for Juan Uribe's at bat today? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Very interesting strategy.How much baseball have you watched in your life??

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you've already taken enough grief. :D:

Blob
07-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Since we're all so happy about the bats, we forgot to mention the great bullpen work today. Let's not forget the nice 3 innings of hitless baseball thrown by Cotts, Marte and Jackson of all people.:gulp:
I also loved the way Willie ran down Rodriguez when he got the hit in the 9th.

Hey, that's what you get for getting in the way of the "Willie Express".

mealfred13
07-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I also loved the way Willie ran down Rodriguez when he got the hit in the 9th.

Hey, that's what you get for getting in the way of the "Willie Express".
LOL. Let's hope the "Willie Express" can get back on the right "track" again.

mcfish
07-08-2004, 05:27 PM
How much baseball have you watched in your life??

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you've already taken enough grief. :D:
The answer is, not nearly as much before this year. I have never followed baseball everyday before - I would go to 10-15 a year and not really watch at home. I have seen 4 outfielders before, but I really don't think I've ever seen 5 infielders in the majors. I knew it had happened, I just hadn't seen it and thought it was interesting. They waited for whichever outfielder it was to grab a new glove and everything.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Woo Hoo! I just got back from the game. It was awesome! I was starting to give up hope after the Sox tied the game at five and then Loaiza gave up three more runs.

I was surrounded by Cubfans wearing Angels hats so I was cheering real loud every time the Sox got a hit or a run. I screamed so loud after Timo tied the game that I scared the crap out of the little chubby cub girl in front of me. I didn't care, that moment was magical! The cubfans were obnoxious and kept cheering for the Angels so it felt doubly good to win this one and send them home as the misarable people they really are.

Way to go WHITE SOX!!

jabrch
07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
How many of that 28,000 do you think stayed until the end? I was only able to follow along on Gameday today, due to damn work.

About 3/4 of them stayed to the end. It was a heck of a win - one of those games we deserved to lose based on how poorly Esteban threw - but the offense saved him one.

LongLiveFisk
07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I was surrounded by Cubfans wearing Angels hats so I was cheering real loud every time the Sox got a hit or a run. I screamed so loud after Timo tied the game that I scared the crap out of the little chubby cub girl in front of me. I didn't care, that moment was magical! The cubfans were obnoxious and kept cheering for the Angels so it felt doubly good to win this one and send them home as the misarable people they really are.As stupid as I think they are (and let's face it, they ARE) for coming to Sox games and paying money to root against the Sox, they are only helping the Sox financially. Let them keep it up and pretty soon we'll take back the city! :D:

What total morons. Disproving the theory ONCE AGAIN that they don't care about the Sox. Hey Cub fans, THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING **YOUR** CHICAGO WHITE SOX!! :gulp:

Frankfan4life
07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
As stupid as I think they are (and let's face it, they ARE) for coming to Sox games and paying money to root against the Sox, they are only helping the Sox financially. Let them keep it up and pretty soon we'll take back the city! :D:

What total morons. Disproving the theory ONCE AGAIN that they don't care about the Sox. Hey Cub fans, THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING **YOUR** CHICAGO WHITE SOX!! :gulp:That was the same thing I was thinking. What morons, they're paying good money to the Sox organization to root against the Sox (not to mention having to buy a hat for every team that opposes the Sox). I wonder if they knew that every time they bought a beer they were helping the Sox. No, of course not, they're too stupid to think that logically. I just loved the looks on their faces after Juan drove Jose home. It was priceless! :D:

SoxxoS
07-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I was right about Danny Wright (Tommy John)

I now have my next :cleo prediction:

E-Lo has a dead arm and will be put on the 15 day DL after the all-star break.

HomeFish
07-08-2004, 05:56 PM
What the hell? They pulled out a come-from-behind win? I thought for sure that game was over and had gone off to do other things.

Have I been transported back in time to April? No? Awesome.

harwar
07-08-2004, 06:11 PM
What the hell? They pulled out a come-from-behind win? I thought for sure that game was over and had gone off to do other things.I gave my tickets to my daughter because i just couldn't stand anymore and they go and do this.At least she will lay off of the "why did you have to raise me a White Sox fan". for a while..:D:

South Side
07-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Not to be a downer or anything... (and I know someone, many are going to bite my head off for this) but I have to be annoying and point out the fact that had Miguel been catching he would have held on to that ball with Carlos' great throw. Burke
's not bad but Olivo would have had that guy. That is all.

Tavarin
07-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Not to be a downer or anything... (and I know someone, many are going to bite my head off for this) but I have to be annoying and point out the fact that had Miguel been catching he would have held on to that ball with Carlos' great throw. Burke

Ben Davis or Sandy could have also held onto it :wink:

South Side
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Ben Davis or Sandy could have also held onto it :wink:
I'm not so sure.

jabrch
07-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Sandy, or even Davis, likely hold on to that ball 85% of the time.. Burke holds it 80% of the time. Bad luck. That's all. Burke isn't a terrible defensive catcher. He is no Burke - but he isn't terrible.

AnkleSox
07-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I actually saw the Angels do that last season against the Sox in the bottom of the ninth. Big Frank was up with a few guys on base, and he hit his second homerun of the night to seal a White Sox winner. :bandance:

HomeFish
07-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Burke isn't a terrible defensive catcher. He is no Burke -

Truer words have never been spoken....

jabrch
07-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Truer words have never been spoken....
*****...he's no Olivo was what I intended on saying.

SouthSideHitman
07-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Lemme tell you, we needed that. I was there today and even though that crowd was big for a weekday afternoon, it was dead until the eigth. It seemed like the Sox were always playing catch-up and no one was doing any cheering unless the scoreboard told them to. Once Timo got that single and Willie scored from first, it seemed like there was finally some hope for the Hose. Now let's feast on dem Mariners.

Tmar281
07-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Lemme tell you, we needed that. I was there today and even though that crowd was big for a weekday afternoon, it was dead until the eigth. It seemed like the Sox were always playing catch-up and no one was doing any cheering unless the scoreboard told them to. Once Timo got that single and Willie scored from first, it seemed like there was finally some hope for the Hose. Now let's feast on dem Mariners.
true

CWSGuy406
07-08-2004, 07:19 PM
It's scary to think this, but I think Loaiza has pitched himself into the bottom two in our rotation. Without a doubt, I would rather have Garcia, Buerhle, and Garland as my top 3 if we were to go into a playoff series tommorow.

Nice comeback today fellas! Now go get those Mariners! :bandance:

Brian26
07-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Don't know if you're referencing it or not Brian, but an article on the Sox site basically says that surgery would DL him for at least 6 weeks.
Ah. The initial reports I read this morning said he might be back in 6 weeks. Now this is sounding more like 6 weeks would be a minimum, and the maximum might be the rest of the season.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Lemme tell you, we needed that. I was there today and even though that crowd was big for a weekday afternoon, it was dead until the eigth. It seemed like the Sox were always playing catch-up and no one was doing any cheering unless the scoreboard told them to. Once Timo got that single and Willie scored from first, it seemed like there was finally some hope for the Hose. Now let's feast on dem Mariners.Maybe I'm taking your comments the wrong way, if so, I apologize. But don't you think Sox fans were right to be a little cautious about cheering their heads off for a team that just lost 5 straight games? That the crowd showed up in such big numbers for an afternoon game was testament to the support the Sox should have received, but to ask that the crowd be optimistic and "up" for this game IMO is a bit too much to ask for. Had the Sox won at least one game at Wrigley or had they won the next game at home, then maybe the Sox fans sitting on their hands would be something worth mentioning. Most of the fans stuck around for the entire game even though the Sox had the lead for only one inning. And I thought the crowd rising in unison to cheer-on Timo was chilling, to say the least. Most fans cheer when they have confidence in their team. We lost a lot of confidence during the last 5 games. A win like today will bring some of that confidence back. I just think the fans deserved more credit than you gave them.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm just happy for the win...it's the only good news all day.

Lip

Cowch44
07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm just happy for the win...it's the only good news all day.

Lip
Are you forgetting that Maggs was activated and should play tomorrow?:?:

flo-B-flo
07-08-2004, 09:50 PM
After getting our asses handed to us 5 times in a roll .....THIS!! I am watching the game on replay. When One of my co-workers told me the score (it was 5-2 at the time) I told him they will play hard till the end. I just wouldn't believe they would "cub up" and lose 6 in a row. When I got home and saw on ESP yanker-Blosox that they had come back I almost fainted. If this had been dead man walking manuels' team I'm 100% sure they would have lost. Not this year. How inspiring was the crowd standing in unison while Timo battled the nasty angels reliever! I am proud of our guys. This was a big win for their confidence. GO- GO- SOX!!!!! :D:

kcsportscaster
07-08-2004, 10:29 PM
OH YEAH, FINALLY, even with Big Frank out of the lineup because of the bone spurs in his ankle and Maggs not playing despite being reactivated, this team is starting to hit again!!!! Honestly, I thought DA SOX were out of it when they were down 8-5 to the Angels, but I love how they fought back in the eighth against Rodriguez to tie it at eight and then win it in the ninth. I was literally screaming at Juan Uribe to serve the ball to right field when he took big cuts early in the count. Even Ozzie was screaming at him to go the other way, but Uribe got the pitch he wanted from Donnelly and knew what to do with it. Hopefully, this win will be the turning point for DA SOX to carry the momentum all the way to a division title, but they MUST focus on pounding the lowly Mariners this weekend. However, I am concerned about Loaiza's performance on Thursday. If he is going to help DA SOX overtake the Twinkies, then he needs to settle down and give DA SOX much better outings than he has lately.

I wanted to wait until the Twinkies game ended before I left a
post. Unfortunately, they decalwed the Tigers 7-1 in the first of
their four game set. However, DA SOX need to take care of business themselves and not worry about what the Twinkies do in order to overtake them again and hold them off in the central division race.

Cuck the Fubs
07-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Without question the best part was seeing Maggs in the dugout in the ninth getting ready to hit....

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!:supernana:

The Wimperoo
07-08-2004, 10:59 PM
The best part of this game in my opinion was the fact that we scored runs by getting a bunch of hits in a row. We didn't sit around and try to hit home runs all game. That's what we need.

I was watching the replay of the game tonight, and found it funny that Hawk had the same reaction that I did during the game when Willie Harris was announced to pinch hit. He gave kind of like a double take, I couldn't understand why we were using Willie in that situation, but it paid off big time. He smoked that ball, and Erstad made an awesome play just to stop it. Then he scored from 1st on a single. No one else on this team could even come close to scoring on that play. Begs to wonder how he can steal 3 bases at once in just a few more seconds time than it takes to steal one, and he can't steal that one base.

pearso66
07-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I've seen the 5 infielders used a ton of times. 4-5 times a year the past few years. Although I watch more than just Sox games to see it. While I've seen that play a lot, I can't say I've ever seen 4 OFers being used. Oh and that 5 infielders, I've seen it fail more often than not.

StillMissOzzie
07-09-2004, 12:20 AM
This was a BIG, BIG victory for so many reasons. Let us count the ways:

1) Breaking the losing streak
2) Come from behind
3) NOT solely dependent on the 3 run HR
4) CLUTCH hitting with 2 outs, a couple of times
5) Uribe and Harris contributing again

Now let's get a few more from the Mariners!!!

SMO
:gulp:

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 01:04 AM
I've seen the 5 infielders used a ton of times. 4-5 times a year the past few years. Although I watch more than just Sox games to see it. While I've seen that play a lot, I can't say I've ever seen 4 OFers being used. Oh and that 5 infielders, I've seen it fail more often than not.
Of course it fails alot. The whole point of that play is that there is only 1 out with a man at third who can score on anything hit into the outfield. The point of having 5 infielders is to keep the ball from LEAVING the infield if it's hit on the ground. By adding an extra man to the infield, most or all of the possible holes for the ball to get through are covered. If it's hit into the outfield over the infielder's heads, then the play doesn't work because the man will still score. The whole point of the play is to hope for a ground ball.

SSN721
07-09-2004, 06:25 AM
WHat happened to Esteban? I was positive at the beginning of the year, thinking he could still win 16-18 games this year. I guess he still can but it will be hard for him if he keeps pitching like this. It seems like he is either lights out or throwing BP, nothing in between. And lately it has been much more like BP than anything else. Great that the offense showed up today to pick him up. Our hit and run total must have equaled the total for the last 5 games. Unbeleivable, I just hope it isnt a short respite from thei losing ways. Would sure be nice to win two or sweep the M's. Get well very soon Frank, we need ya for the stretch run. And welcome back Maggs, hope to see you in the lineup tonight. :smile:

Paulwny
07-09-2004, 07:38 AM
I was watching the replay of the game tonight, and found it funny that Hawk had the same reaction that I did during the game when Willie Harris was announced to pinch hit. He gave kind of like a double take, I couldn't understand why we were using Willie in that situation, but it paid off big time. He smoked that ball, and Erstad made an awesome play just to stop it. Then he scored from 1st on a single. No one else on this team could even come close to scoring on that play. Begs to wonder how he can steal 3 bases at once in just a few more seconds time than it takes to steal one, and he can't steal that one base.
I'm guessing here, OZ may have thought that a lefty would be brought in to face Harris and then he'd have Maggs ph for Harris.

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 08:46 AM
This post is just to rub it in to all the Uribe haters out there! Check out the clutch hitting today. Runs on 2 outs, Paul Konerko, Timo, Uribe, WILLIE! Bout freaking time.
He still went 1 for 5 with four man left on base. He had a good at bat, not a good game.

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 09:03 AM
WHat happened to Esteban? I was positive at the beginning of the year, thinking he could still win 16-18 games this year. I guess he still can but it will be hard for him if he keeps pitching like this. It seems like he is either lights out or throwing BP, nothing in between. And lately it has been much more like BP than anything else. Great that the offense showed up today to pick him up. Our hit and run total must have equaled the total for the last 5 games. Unbeleivable, I just hope it isnt a short respite from thei losing ways. Would sure be nice to win two or sweep the M's. Get well very soon Frank, we need ya for the stretch run. And welcome back Maggs, hope to see you in the lineup tonight. :smile:
Well E Lo's K/9 have fallen by 3 strike outs a game. Right now he is in line with his career averages. His career ERA is 4.56 and he posted a 2.90 last year. Also his walks are up form last year, walking 7.1% of the batters he has faced. This could mean hitters are figured out Estbans cutter, he lost control of the pitch or last year was a fluke and Estban is regressing to his mean. Either way it lowers Estbans price for next year and made cause a situation where it would be unwise for the Sox to re up him. This could be one of the rare times Kenny made a good move by waiting and not re-doing Estban's contract in this past off season.