PDA

View Full Version : Has MLB decided the Expos fate?

Fenway
07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
MLB registered vaexpos.com

nothing similar for DC

Has MLB tipped their hand?

vaexpos.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml

Organization:
Major League Baseball Properties
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US
Phone: (212) 931-7975
Fax..: (212) 949-5697
Email: ethan.orlinsky@mlb.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: VAEXPOS.COM

Created on..............: Fri, Jun 04, 2004
Expires on..............: Sun, Jun 04, 2006
Record last updated on..: Fri, Jun 04, 2004

Administrative Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Technical Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Zone Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS2.DIGISLE.NET 167.216.193.233
NS1.DIGISLE.NET 167.216.250.42

Cubbiesuck13
07-08-2004, 05:08 PM
MLB registered vaexpos.com

nothing similar for DC

Has MLB tipped their hand?

vaexpos.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml

Organization:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com (http://www.register.com/)

Domain Name: VAEXPOS.COM

Created on..............: Fri, Jun 04, 2004
Expires on..............: Sun, Jun 04, 2006
Record last updated on..: Fri, Jun 04, 2004

Administrative Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Technical Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Zone Contact:
Ethan Orlinsky
245 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10167
US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS2.DIGISLE.NET 167.216.193.233
NS1.DIGISLE.NET 167.216.250.42
the washington post is doing or was doing a four day segment on the fate of the 'spos. they say that the final call will be right after the all star break and that it was pointing to d.c. (but that is a little biased based on the paper) because they were the only ones that had a plan for building a new stadium or at least were further ahead in getting plans. most of the other places said that they would get a plan AFTER conformation that they would go to the respective place. however, MLB and Selig said that they will not give conformation without a plan IN PLACE. stalemate.

oh by the way, norfolkmlb.com ... wishfull thinking.

Cubbiesuck13
07-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Major Leagues Just Covering the Bases
URLs Don't Give Away Where Expos Will Go, Baseball Says

By Michael Laris and Thomas Heath
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, July 8, 2004; Page B01

As Major League Baseball's latest self-imposed deadline for choosing a new home for the Montreal Expos nears, anxious would-be hosts are going to extraordinary lengths to divine the intentions of secretive baseball executives.

Yesterday, vaexpos.com caught their eye.

Ethan Orlinsky, senior vice president and general counsel of Major League Baseball Properties, registered the domain name last month. That caused Jerry Burkot, an executive with the investors group trying to draw a team to a new stadium near Dulles International Airport, to wax hopeful.

"Maybe it's an omen," he said yesterday after being told of the domain name's registration.

A Major League Baseball spokesman's response: Not so fast.

Baseball spokesman Rich Levin said yesterday that baseball attorneys registered vaexpos.com and mexicoexpos.com purely as a defensive measure so that baseball has access to the names if needed.

Levin said the attorneys are with MLB.com, which runs the sport's Web site, and with MLB Properties, which handles merchandising, licensing and trademarks. They are not associated with the relocation effort and have no knowledge of the workings of a committee that is looking at relocation sites for the Expos, Levin said.

"This has no bearing at all on the relocation effort," Levin said. "It doesn't mean anything."

Sites inspired by the other bidding cities -- the District, Las Vegas, Norfolk, and Portland, Ore. -- were already taken, Levin added.

Winston Lord, executive director of the D.C. group that hopes to buy the Expos, said he was not concerned.

"It's been a great omen that for years all the possible D.C. domain names have been taken. It shows the extent of the support," Lord said. DCexpos.com, for instance, was taken by a Whitestone, N.Y., man.

Lord said baseball was simply being prudent in trying to nab names, just as political candidates have sought to sit on most relevant registrations. "It's just like the Kerry campaign registering every possible domain name to cover their bases," Lord said.

Baseball President Robert DuPuy, who was unavailable for comment, met with Commissioner Bud Selig last week and said that the league is evaluating the candidate cities and has not narrowed its options. Baseball is not expected to make a decision on where to put the Expos until after next week's All-Star Game at the earliest, and as late as September.

Baseball-minded squatters have been busy laying at least temporary claim to the domain names of the Expos' possible homes.

"I had absolutely no scientific evidence to base it on," said William Creel, 46, a government employee in Chesapeake, Va., who owns Nevadaexpos.com, Arlingtonexpos.com and Norfolkexpos.org. The owner of Norfolkexpos.com called him in recent months to see whether Creel wanted to buy it.

"I'm a baseball fan. But I'm also a speculator of ways to try to make a living other than always working," Creel said, adding that he's been hearing he could be trumped by the actual team owners once the Expos move. "Everybody tells me I need to hire a patent attorney, but for a $7 investment I'm just going to wait and see what happens."

Major League Baseball officials have been in touch daily with all the groups heading the efforts in each area pulling for a team, baseball officials said.

Baltimore Orioles owner Peter G. Angelos opposes having a team in the Washington region, saying it would harm the value of his franchise. Selig has said he is reluctant to move a team too close to an existing franchise because it might dilute the fan base.

Vance Garnett, co-owner of Washingtonsenators.com, said the efforts to grab names are tardy, not to mention misguided.

"Let them take a whack at it," said Garnett, who got his name in the 1990s. "We've believed all along that baseball would come back to Washington and revert to a name that has 70 years' history to it."

"We're not Johnny-come-lately's," Garnett said.

2004 The Washington Post Company

Baby Fisk
09-22-2004, 12:20 PM
the saga continues...

Les Expos de Washington? (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3030376)

StillMissOzzie
09-23-2004, 02:17 AM
What I think is pretty stupid is that they are apparently going to keep the Expos name, which originally came from Montreal hosting Expo '67, the World's Fair that year. Then again, the NBA let the Utah Jazz name go through unchanged.

SMO
:?:

FightingBillini
09-24-2004, 05:13 AM
What I think is pretty stupid is that they are apparently going to keep the Expos name, which originally came from Montreal hosting Expo '67, the World's Fair that year. Then again, the NBA let the Utah Jazz name go through unchanged.

SMO
:?:
I read before that they plan on changing the name. If the local fans have a say in it, they will be the Senators.

Milw
09-24-2004, 07:39 AM

SMO
:?:I personally think teams SHOULD keep the names, even when they make little sense. I mean, to me it's like an immigrant family changing its last name to become more "Americanized" -- I understand why they do it, but why not preserve that link to the past. Remember where you came from.

OurBitchinMinny
09-24-2004, 08:24 AM
I dont know. Expos is a pretty lame name. I think it should be senators

Baby Fisk
09-24-2004, 08:26 AM
I personally think teams SHOULD keep the names, even when they make little sense. I mean, to me it's like an immigrant family changing its last name to become more "Americanized" -- I understand why they do it, but why not preserve that link to the past. Remember where you came from.Renaming the franchise the Washington Senators is a natural move to make. I'm on the flipside of the coin: when a team moves to another town, it is no longer the same team and should CHANGE its name. The Brooklyn Dodgers playing in California is just not right. The "Dodgers" nickname makes no sense in LA, just as Expos would make no sense in Washington. Maybe it's all moot because the team will fail and move away to Portland or Virginia in 6-8 years anyway... :cool:

DC Sox Fan
09-24-2004, 08:54 AM
As far as the name goes, most people here would like the Senators for nostalgic reasons. Other candidates include the Nationals (old Sens' nickname) and the Greys (in honor of an old negro league team).

I agree in changing names... otherwise, we'd have the Minnesota Senators and Texas Senators still around... wouldn't that be confusing? :o: