PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Performer

bartmanisgod
07-08-2004, 03:19 PM
What stellar performance today from our All-Star! He lit up the Halos only allowing 8 ers in a solid 5 1/3 inning! I wouldn't be surprised if he started the All-Star Game for the AL after this performance!

mcfish
07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
What stellar performance today from our All-Star! He lit up the Halos only allowing 8 ers in a solid 5 1/3 inning! I wouldn't be surprised if he started the All-Star Game for the AL after this performance!
Not Teal. TEAL. Use Teal. We can actually read it.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Believe it or not, I expect Torre to come up with a stupid excuse to give Esteban the start. I can just hear him now...

"It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, but I feel good about our chances with Loaiza taking the mound. I thought a lot about starting Mulder, but he holds his fork funny when he eats, and I just didn't think that warranted giving him the start. Loaiza's the one I'm going with."

maggliofan10
07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
that's solid alright! awesome job esteban!

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2004, 03:25 PM
that's solid alright! awesome job esteban!Amen brother!!Go represent at the ASG Tuesday!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

samram
07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Believe it or not, I expect Torre to come up with a stupid excuse to give Esteban the start. I can just hear him now...

"It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, but I feel good about our chances with Loaiza taking the mound. I thought a lot about starting Mulder, but he holds his fork funny when he eats, and I just didn't think that warranted giving him the start. Loaiza's the one I'm going with."
The Sox are going to look so bad when the players are introduced- their lone rep will have an ERA around 5. Usually that's the lone representative from a team 15 games under .500. Of course, the way things are going.....:(:

maggliofan10
07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
hopefully esteban doesn't make us a laughing stock at the as game

mcfish
07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Amen brother!!Go represent at the ASG Tuesday!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Now how do you expect us to read that? Use TEAL. Or use a different color that's at least legible. This is not readable. This is. So is this. And this. And all of these.

jamteh
07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Will the real Esteban Loaiza please stand up?

34 Inch Stick
07-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I believe he has been standing up his entire career except for 2003. During his career he was always a great April/May pitcher and then stunk up the rest of the year. Does that sound familiar?

jabrch
07-09-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't care much about the sox reps at the all-star game. As long as the AL wins so that we have home field in the World Series - that's all I want!

billnahorodny
07-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Color usage aside...this does actually bring up a good question. So much speculation and discussion has occurred around Maggs' contract and impending free agency. But I haven't heard a lot of discussion about Loaiza's situation. I think earlier in the season, most people here would have been strongly in favor of resigning him. However after some of his recent performances, it appears more and more that 2003 was a fluke. I of course, could be wrong about this and being at the ASG might just propel him into a second half that leaves 2003 in the dust. But if it doesn't, what should the Sox do about his contract? Is there any value in trading him now? Do we let him walk and try and sign another FA pitcher (possibly Clement?)...who else will be available?

Tmar281
07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Now how do you expect us to read that? Use TEAL. Or use a different color that's at least legible. This is not readable. This is. So is this. And this. And all of these.
if you highlight that color you can read it:D:

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Color usage aside...this does actually bring up a good question. So much speculation and discussion has occurred around Maggs' contract and impending free agency. But I haven't heard a lot of discussion about Loaiza's situation. I think earlier in the season, most people here would have been strongly in favor of resigning him. However after some of his recent performances, it appears more and more that 2003 was a fluke. I of course, could be wrong about this and being at the ASG might just propel him into a second half that leaves 2003 in the dust. But if it doesn't, what should the Sox do about his contract? Is there any value in trading him now? Do we let him walk and try and sign another FA pitcher (possibly Clement?)...who else will be available?

I have thought about this at length. At his current pace, going like 15-10 with a mid 4 ERA could scare the Sox off about a big deal. Esteban is getting up there, so I am sure he is going to want some $$$ and security/years when he does sign, considering how cheap and insecure his signing was with the Sox.

With the lack of quality pitching on the FA market, I could see a team overspending and outbidding the Sox with $$$ and years. Let's hope he gives the Sox a "discount" for giving him a second chance.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 12:04 PM
According to Loazia the two sides talked briefly in spring training but if I remember correctly it was Loazia himself who said he wanted to wait and see what might be on the table.

Like with the 2000 Sox, last year was a fluke for Esteban, however that doesn't mean he's not a solid middle of the rotation guy. Nothing wrong with that...just don't expect him to win 20 games.

If he has a mediocre year it could give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him but as the previous poster mentioned ANY type of solid pitching is at a premium today so I'd guess a team will give him a very good deal and the Sox will yet again, be looking to fill a rotation hole.

Lip

hold2dibber
07-09-2004, 12:21 PM
According to Loazia the two sides talked briefly in spring training but if I remember correctly it was Loazia himself who said he wanted to wait and see what might be on the table.

Like with the 2000 Sox, last year was a fluke for Esteban, however that doesn't mean he's not a solid middle of the rotation guy. Nothing wrong with that...just don't expect him to win 20 games.

If he has a mediocre year it could give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him but as the previous poster mentioned ANY type of solid pitching is at a premium today so I'd guess a team will give him a very good deal and the Sox will yet again, be looking to fill a rotation hole.

Lip
Loaiza's second half performance will have a huge impact on the contract he ends up with after this year. Right now, Loaiza is Suppan-like. If he dials it up in the 2nd half, he might be able to land himself a Kelvim Escobar-like contract. I'd like to see the Sox keep him, but I think he's a no. 3 (at best) starter, so I wouldn't offer much more than 2 years at about $3.5 or $4 million per year.

samram
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Lip
I just can't see a guy like Loaiza getting more than a 3 year deal anywhere. He had his breakout season at the age of 31 and has fallen off that performance significantly at the age of 32. He is a risky proposition. I wonder if he would do what Kevin Millwood did this past off-season by accepting arbitration, and then go back on the market after next season, with the thought being he will rebound next year and be worth more after the 2005 season. Of course, he may rebound during the next few months and render all this moot.

CubKilla
07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I'd like to see the Sox keep him, but I think he's a no. 3 (at best) starter, so I wouldn't offer much more than 2 years at about $3.5 or $4 million per year.
Loaiza already said earlier in the week when Garcia signed his deal that FG set the bar as far as money/years that Loaiza will be looking for after '04.

wolcott10
07-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Esteban's performance was impressive!!

bigdommer
07-09-2004, 02:47 PM

Lip
My guess is that the Sox will not offer too much to Esteban. With Garland, Burly Mon, and Freddy locked up, they would probably feel comfortable re-upping with Shoney or another cheap questionable arm, and then rolling the dice with someone like Cotts/Rauch for the number five spot. It sounds risky, but I guess it's not much different from how they started this year.

StepsInSC
07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Loaiza already said earlier in the week when Garcia signed his deal that FG set the bar as far as money/years that Loaiza will be looking for after '04.
:o: :o: :o:

I don't think its too early to almost just call last year a fluke...Esty only has a good W-L record...and he owes that to this team's offense.

owensmouth
07-09-2004, 03:17 PM
hopefully esteban doesn't make us a laughing stock at the as game
I'd rather see him get clobbered in the ASG than his next start for the Sox

hold2dibber
07-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Uhh, Esteban might be looking for those kinds of numbers, but unless he rebounds with a 2003-like performance in the 2nd half, he'll be extremely lucky to get half the money Garcia did.