PDA

View Full Version : Maggs back on the roster...

CHISOXFAN13
07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Maggs has been activated and Diaz has been sent to Charlotte!!

harwar
07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Just heard that Maggs has beed activated ..

nitetrain8601
07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
YES!!!! I just saw it on the pregame show.

samram
07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
I hope this isn't going to backfire on them because he's back too early.

delben91
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
If Frank is soon DL bound, does that clear the way for Borchard?

Also, any word as to whether Maggs will strictly be DHing?

Baby Fisk
Magglio...YES!!!

Can I change my PTC? :cool:

milrtyme28
this is the spark we need - and we can say goodbye to felix diaz for the moment too! :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

CHISOXFAN13
07-08-2004, 12:42 PM
I hope this isn't going to backfire on them because he's back too early.

I don't think we'll see him in the outfield until after the ASB, but we can certainly use that bat right now.

samram
07-08-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't think we'll see him in the outfield until after the ASB, but we can certainly use that bat right now.
Ok. Good to have him back. I don't hear all the same stuff you get up there. But DHing Maggs even at 80% is better than Burke.

harwar
07-08-2004, 12:45 PM
If Frank is soon DL bound, does that clear the way for Borchard?

Also, any word as to whether Maggs will strictly be DHing?
They just used the words season ending surgey when talking about frank..uh oh. Were gonna need someone now..Big Joe maybe.

Wealz
07-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Glad they did the right thing and kept Burke on the roster. Brother, this group is a mess.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
GREAT! I mentioned this last night in the chat that maggs should be activated and DH if frank can't play right now. The lineup yesterday was awful with Burke at DH.

mcfish
07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Thank God. And only 6 weeks after they said he could play, but they were being cautious.

Mickster
07-08-2004, 12:50 PM
People,

This is not great news. This is the Sox brass in "PANIC MODE" based on Frank's possible season-ending injury. This is no different than Maggs being out of the lineup. What will Maggs be like if there is no Frank to protect him in the lineup???

Paulwny
07-08-2004, 12:52 PM
They just used the words season ending surgey when talking about frank..uh oh. Were gonna need someone now..Big Joe maybe.
Damn, this is VERY BAD, season ending surgery could = end of sox season.

Blob
07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
It appears he's available on the bench but not playing today.

Flight #24
07-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Thinking through options is Frank's indeed out for the year (please no!!!!)

1) Call up Borchard
2) Beltran (if Astros fall out of it - unlikely)
3) Randy Johnson and try to dominate via pitching
4) Finley
5) Carlos Delgado
6) Kendall
7) Carl Everett
8 Jeromy Burnitz
9) Todd Helton (who supposedly wont' be resigned by colorado)

I think the only real options here to remain a viable WS contender are 2-5. Of these, all are doable since the players involved are FAs after the year (except Johnson/Kendall) so it's this year's salary only that we take on.

But there are a lot of options out there for the Sox to stay in it. Go get Delgado & Kendall.

bobj4400
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
But DHing Maggs even at 80% is better than Burke.
Dont you mean Maggs at 20% is better than Burke?

samram
07-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Dont you mean Maggs at 20% is better than Burke?
LOL. I guess I was just trying to be nice.:smile:

kitekrazy
07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
There are possiblities but the real question is who do the Sox give up to get someone?

There may be a positive in Frank being injured. Maybe the Sox and Maggs will come to terms.

Flight #24
07-08-2004, 01:35 PM
There may be a positive in Frank being injured. Maybe the Sox and Maggs will come to terms.
I doubt it. Seems to me that Maggs really wants to test the market and find someone to break the bank. The fact that contract deferrals can be no longer than 2 years past the completion of the deal makes the reduction in value from that minimal. Not to mention that the deals he cites as his comparables have deferred $$$ (Tejada) and the 5th year being a team option (Vlady).

Deferring money 2 years has little impact on it's value. Supposedly they came over to his $$$ request, but with some 5th year deferrals. If true and he declined, he's technically asking for a better contract than Vlady or Miggy, and is baiscally saying he wants out but trying to save face with fans.

Man Soo Lee
07-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Not to mention that the deals he cites as his comparables have deferred $$$ (Tejada) and the 5th year being a team option (Vlady).The option in Vlad's contract is for the 6th year, 2009. He'll get $70M/5 or $85M/6.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2004, 03:34 PM
People,

This is not great news. This is the Sox brass in "PANIC MODE" based on Frank's possible season-ending injury. This is no different than Maggs being out of the lineup. What will Maggs be like if there is no Frank to protect him in the lineup???
Agreed. The Sox aren't doing this because Maggs is healthy. This is a desperate act by a desperate organization. Nothing more, nothing less.

maggliofan10
07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
i heard maggs is supposed to basically do his rehab in the majors. Yeah we're definetely very very very desperate. So very sad.

samram
07-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Agreed. The Sox aren't doing this because Maggs is healthy. This is a desperate act by a desperate organization. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's what I was thinking. They have been saying he would have a minor-league assignment to get his timing back, and now he simply gets put back on the major league roster? It's difficult to interpret that positively regarding Frank's injury.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
That's what I was thinking. They have been saying he would have a minor-league assignment to get his timing back, and now he simply gets put back on the major league roster? It's difficult to interpret that positively regarding Frank's injury.
I just hope Maggs doesn't aggrivate his injury by coming back too soon. We saw what the Sox look like without their two best players last night and this afternoon. No Frank and Maggs means bad things for the Chicago White Sox.

OurBitchinMinny
07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
The way frank has been hitting? Its not even close to as big of a loss as maggs being out is. I hope he is not out, but the season is not over if he is. Dont forget he has hit maybe .200 in the month of june. Frank is NOT the best hitter on this team. There are 3 or 4 guys id rather have up with pressure on.

JRIG
07-08-2004, 04:40 PM
The way frank has been hitting? Its not even close to as big of a loss as maggs being out is. I hope he is not out, but the season is not over if he is. Dont forget he has hit maybe .200 in the month of june. Frank is NOT the best hitter on this team. There are 3 or 4 guys id rather have up with pressure on.
Frank just got done hitting .263/.417/.625 in June for a 1.042 OPS.

But please, don't let the facts stand in the way of your argument.

Mickster
07-08-2004, 04:41 PM
I would tend to disagree. If we have our full lineup, Frank might me my choice. It is obvious that Frank's numbers dropped-of significantly when maggs was out of the lineup. Maggs might do the same without Frank's presence.

samram
Frank just got done hitting .263/.417/.625 in June for a 1.042 OPS.

But please, don't let the facts stand in the way of your argument.
Not to mention, any struggles he did have could be attributed to the sore ankle and/or not playing in several NL park games.

rmusacch
People,

Why did they activate him if they were not going to put him in the lineup or use him as a pinch hitter?

OurBitchinMinny
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Sorry I got the stat wrong. .263 is still not good when you are talking about frank thomas. Im not a stat geek and I think OPS is really overrated when it concerns frank. He is useless on the basepaths. I really am at a loss to see why so many people still think frank is this teams best hitter. He isnt and thats just the facts. Id rather have maggs, lee, and konerko up with pressure on and Jose if its not a lefty. Frank walks a lot when there is an opportunity to drive in runs. He lets a lot of fastballs go right down the middle. Pitchers just dont throw him four balls anymore. He also strikes out a lot more than he used to. Dont get me wrong. Frank is probably the greatest white sox hitter of all time and is a first ballot HOFer in spite of his career slightly tailing off and he was my favorite player growing up. But I realize he is on the downside of his career. Would I rather have him in the lineup? Yeah, but even if this injury is serious there is no need to give up on the season. At this point maggs is a much better hitter and I would trade franks bat for his. I want both them in the lineup , but frank has got to pick it up. His average is right around .270 I think and Im sorry, but when I think frank thomas, I dont think .270. If you disagree with me fine, but I watch, listen and follow pretty much every game. I love Frank, but he flat out is not the same player.