PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson heading to the Red Sox?

Fenway
07-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Hysteria hits Hub yet again

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/07/08/epstein_denies_johnson_report/

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

needless to say the boards have exploded again

http://redsoxnation.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6182

Baby Fisk
07-08-2004, 01:01 PM
This can only end one way:

"...and today's starting pitcher for the Yankees...Randy Johnson...number 51..." :(:

Paulwny
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM

"...and today's starting pitcher for the Yankees...Randy Johnson...number 51..." :(:
LOL, why do I think the bosox will mess this up and Johnson will be in pin stripes ?

Flight #24
07-08-2004, 01:32 PM
LOL, why do I think the bosox will mess this up and Johnson will be in pin stripes ?
Maybe Kenny can play the Yankees-BoSox game and get them to pitch in and move him to the Sox if they can't beat the BoSox deal?

WhiteSox trade Richard Nanita and Baj for Randy Johnson and cash. Nanita goes to the D-Backs for Johnson, Baj to the Yankees for $10mil. BoSox fans go home crying.

Fungo
07-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Johnson and Schilling are still pretty tight from their days in Arizona. Makes sense.

Fenway
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM

Don't even go there :?:

Meanwhile, the Yankees board ponders about Roger

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?threadid=65572

Erik The Red
07-08-2004, 03:13 PM

"...and today's starting pitcher for the Yankees...Randy Johnson...number 51..." :(: They'd have to get Bernie Williams's permission to use number 51 ;)

jordan23ventura
07-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Maybe Kenny can play the Yankees-BoSox game and get them to pitch in and move him to the Sox if they can't beat the BoSox deal?

WhiteSox trade Richard Nanita and Baj for Randy Johnson and cash. Nanita goes to the D-Backs for Johnson, Baj to the Yankees for $10mil. BoSox fans go home crying.
You're joking right? To get Randy we would have to offer up a package of at least one starting pitcher, a reliever or two, probably a 2B or SS prospect, and an outfielder or two. Plus they would want guys close to ML ready if not ML ready, so that we mean bye bye for at least one of Cotts/Rauch/Diaz plus Rowand.

Iwritecode
07-08-2004, 04:12 PM
so that we mean bye bye for at least one of Cotts/Rauch/Diaz plus Rowand.

Your point???

Randar68
07-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Your point???
No joke, where can I sign up to that?

Brian26
07-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Does Boston's farm system have enough to get RJ from Arizona?

Win1ForMe
07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Does Boston's farm system have enough to get RJ from Arizona?
Not that I really know much about the minor leagues in general, especially those of the Red Sox, but I'm under the impression that Boston has a rather weak system, and the Sox could certainly outbid them in terms of prospects. Off the top of my head, 3B Kevin Youklis (who's in the majors now) comes to mind. I think he's described as a "Moneyball" prospect, whatever that means.

Also, IMO the title of this thread is a little misleading, almost making it sound as if a trade were imminent.

mcfish
07-08-2004, 06:00 PM

Who's Baj and why do you think he's worth $10,000,000?

Also, Arizona might want more than Richard Nanita for Randy Johnson. Not sure, but maybe.

jabrch
07-08-2004, 06:55 PM
so that we mean bye bye for at least one of Cotts/Rauch/Diaz plus Rowand.

And where can I go to sign up for dealing ALL of those guys for RJ? + 10mm?

JDP
07-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Who's Baj and why do you think he's worth $10,000,000?

Also, Arizona might want more than Richard Nanita for Randy Johnson. Not sure, but maybe.
He was referring to Jeff Bajenaru, the Barons' closer (1-0, 1.16 ERA, 31 IP, 10/49 BB/K ratio, 12 SVs). He's 26, so while not a young buck, he still could be considered a prospect. Heir to Rivera perhaps?

The $10.0M figure was a figure that he most likely brought up to either give to the Sox or to the D-Backs solely as monetary assistance to push along a trade involving RJ to a team not named the Red Sox (and thus, keeping RJ out of a Red Sox uniform).

mcfish
07-09-2004, 11:09 AM
He was referring to Jeff Bajenaru, the Barons' closer (1-0, 1.16 ERA, 31 IP, 10/49 BB/K ratio, 12 SVs). He's 26, so while not a young buck, he still could be considered a prospect. Heir to Rivera perhaps?

The $10.0M figure was a figure that he most likely brought up to either give to the Sox or to the D-Backs solely as monetary assistance to push along a trade involving RJ to a team not named the Red Sox (and thus, keeping RJ out of a Red Sox uniform).

I understand what the money was for, but the trade proposed was Sox getting Randy Johnson and $10 million in exchange for 2 minor league players, 1 to each team. Doesn't that seem a bit unreasonable?

minastirith67
07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Don't the Red Sox have good enough pitching as it is? Schilling and Martinez have been great, and I think Lowe and Wakefield will only get better as the season progresses.

Paulwny
07-09-2004, 02:27 PM
This is getting funnier by the minute. I just read in the Boston Globe that mlb received a request from Shonda Schilling that her seat at the as game be next to Lisa Johnson.

Flight #24
07-09-2004, 03:40 PM

I was indeed. The point for the DBacks was clearing of RJ's salary of about 24mil (8mil this year, 16 next). They get that relief as well as a decent prospect. Or pick another prospect, but probably not a top one given the salary relief.

Yanks get Baj in exchange for $10mil+the BoSox not getting RJ (which is of significant value to Steiny). Remember, this scenario was under the assumption that the DBacks want prospects and clearing the cash for RJ. Yanks don't have the prospects, but do have the cash. IIRC, the BoSox have better prospects and the ability to take on salary, making them a big threat.

But it's all just a pipedream, I thought I had posted it in deep pink to start with. Wasn't meant to be a legit trade idea.