PDA

View Full Version : Sox trying to get Carl Everett?

Jerry_Manuel
09-25-2001, 11:53 PM
From the Trib:
(I think Sullivan just makes up these stories)
Future shock: Look for Boston to call the White Sox after season's end to see if they're interested in acquiring disgruntled outfielder Carl Everett.

The Red Sox are eager to dump Everett, who recently was suspended from the team after getting into an oral altercation with manager Joe Kerrigan.

Everett could play center field and provide the Sox with more pop, but the Sox aren't likely to be interested unless Boston eats some of Everett's salary. He is to make $8 million next year and $9.15 million in 2003.

Everett has a history of not getting along with managers, but so did David Wells, who had no problems with Manuel.

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 03:41 AM
oh pls say it ain't so............... agh............

Rhetorical questions
why would the sox go for a cancer. The money he makes does not justify his stats this yr. The only way is if they will take alan embree and only him for everett.......... otherwise forget it.

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
The only way is if they will take alan embree and only him for everett.......... otherwise forget it. darn, forget this suggestion, after thinking what i wrote, they just might do this trade.

duke of dorwood
09-26-2001, 08:44 AM
THis guy would make me miss the pleasant Albert Belle

Tragg
09-26-2001, 09:03 AM
The writer makes a good point - manuel handles players well. We need a player, particularly at cf, with his talent.
And he played under Jimmy Williams, who isn't eactly mr. congeniality.
A risk, no doubt, but perhaps worth considering.
Now if we could do somthing at shortstop...

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
The writer makes a good point - manuel handles players well. We need a player, particularly at cf, with his talent.
And he played under Jimmy Williams, who isn't eactly mr. congeniality.
A risk, no doubt, but perhaps worth considering.
Now if we could do somthing at shortstop... last yr i was for getting royce and putting jose in cf........... i will take that back now..... i can live with the errors and put jose at ss. He is too valuable to not keep him there.

The only problem of your other point is the price tag for everett.

mrwag
09-26-2001, 10:13 PM
Can we throw Royce in that deal too?

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
Can we throw Royce in that deal too? funny,,,,,,,,, is this called stirring the pot?

voodoochile
09-26-2001, 10:55 PM
last yr i was for getting royce and putting jose in cf........... i will take that back now..... i can live with the errors and put jose at ss. He is too valuable to not keep him there.

The only problem of your other point is the price tag for everett.

If the Sox can get Everett and signed to only a 2 year deal, they should jump all over it. This team is mature enough for him now. His bat and defense would solidfy two spots in the order (CF and 5th batter). Paulie moves to 6th, Lee/Leifer/Borchard in 7th, Crede batting 8th and who cares batting ninth...

I would make this deal in a heartbeat...

Jerry_Manuel
09-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If the Sox can get Everett and signed to only a 2 year deal, they should jump all over it. This team is mature enough for him now. His bat and defense would solidfy two spots in the order (CF and 5th batter). Paulie moves to 6th, Lee/Leifer/Borchard in 7th, Crede batting 8th and who cares batting ninth...

I would make this deal in a heartbeat...

I think it depends on who we would have to give up.

:sandy
I take it I am "who cares."

voodoochile
09-26-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think it depends on who we would have to give up.

:sandy
I take it I am "who cares."

Well... The Sox theoretically have about 16-17 pitchers next year with some major league experience. They ALL have been at times very effective. Great place to start... see whay position players they are interested in. Willing to part with Singleton (nice job getting the average and OBP up late in the year to bolster the value) or Rowand. See what they want. May soon be time for Nomar to become a DH. His body just can't take the pounding anymore at SS (or not for much longer) Might be able to use Claytons contract instead of having them pay some of Everetts.

Who knows. But the Sox DO have too many bodies and are in need of quality now, they have quantity to burn...

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Well... The Sox theoretically have about 16-17 pitchers next year with some major league experience. They ALL have been at times very effective. Great place to start... see whay position players they are interested in. Willing to part with Singleton (nice job getting the average and OBP up late in the year to bolster the value) or Rowand. See what they want. May soon be time for Nomar to become a DH. His body just can't take the pounding anymore at SS (or not for much longer) Might be able to use Claytons contract instead of having them pay some of Everetts.

Who knows. But the Sox DO have too many bodies and are in need of quality now, they have quantity to burn... i hate to say this, but after this yr, everett has 2 more yrs left on his contract, some thing like 7 or 8 mil next yr with maybe 8 or 9 mil the yr after............. bos-sox should be real desperate to trade him, i think they would even take embree and howry for him.

RichieRichAllen
09-27-2001, 06:37 AM
Why would we EVEN think about adding someone as cancerous as Everett to the team? Look at his stats this year. He doesn't even qualify as a Chris Singleton backup.

There are too many other concerns that need to be addressed without adding a jerk of Everett's caliber to our club.

What the hell is everybody smoking here anyway?

PS- This club needs "gamers". Screw the lamers.

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
Why would we EVEN think about adding someone as cancerous as Everett to the team? Look at his stats this year. He doesn't even qualify as a Chris Singleton backup.

There are too many other concerns that need to be addressed without adding a jerk of Everett's caliber to our club.

PS- This club needs "gamers". Screw the lamers. i am w/ you.............

idseer
09-27-2001, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

PS- This club needs "gamers". Screw the lamers.

i'm with you on this too. he would be a project at best and the sox take too many of these dumb gambles.
whay does it take to get this ordanization to actually make some sound solid moves?

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by idseer

i'm with you on this too. he would be a project at best and the sox take too many of these dumb gambles.
whay does it take to get this ordanization to actually make some sound solid moves? i like my draft picks, but if i was gm, i would think very hard on roger cedeno - cf, and charles johnson - catcher and keep lee.

Dadawg_77
09-27-2001, 11:30 AM
Getting Everett would be a risk, but you can't gain anything in life without taking a few risks. The questions the Sox should ask and answer before making thi trade are,1. Can Borchad play better D in CF then Everett? If yes, we don't need Everett. 2. Does Rowand/Singleton off. production equal or greater then Evereet's would be? If yes, we don't need Everett. 3. Who plays left field?
If we get Everett, could we move Lee for a vet SP and put Borchad in LF? How would that effect this team is the major question here. I'm not really sure, it would better our d in the of, but we may lose some production at the plate.
Other thing people are saying is Everett is a cancer, he very well maybe, but can our team handle him. Dennis Rodman wasn't the greatest guy, but he help the Bulls win three, people didn't like Dick Allen (from accounts I have heard and read)and he lead the Sox to contension. Jose and Cal were problems as Brewers but were saviors when they changed locations, maybe the same thing can occur with Everett.

idseer
09-27-2001, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Getting Everett would be a risk, but you can't gain anything in life without taking a few risks.

you also stand a good chance of ruining your life if you take too many.
haven't the sox taken enough risks? wells backfired, the cj affair backfired, the clayton deal backfired. the sox brass don't know how to take risks.
outfield is NOT the sox biggest problem. concentrate on catching, and the infield first.

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2001, 11:51 AM
Can we get Wil Cordero back, as well?

How about Tony Phillips? Is he still playing?

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Getting Everett would be a risk, but you can't gain anything in life without taking a few risks. The questions the Sox should ask and answer before making thi trade are,1. Can Borchad play better D in CF then Everett? If yes, we don't need Everett. 2. Does Rowand/Singleton off. production equal or greater then Evereet's would be? If yes, we don't need Everett. 3. Who plays left field?
If we get Everett, could we move Lee for a vet SP and put Borchad in LF? How would that effect this team is the major question here. I'm not really sure, it would better our d in the of, but we may lose some production at the plate.
Other thing people are saying is Everett is a cancer, he very well maybe, but can our team handle him. Dennis Rodman wasn't the greatest guy, but he help the Bulls win three, people didn't like Dick Allen (from accounts I have heard and read)and he lead the Sox to contension. Jose and Cal were problems as Brewers but were saviors when they changed locations, maybe the same thing can occur with Everett. 1. if getting roger cedeno is a lot less in cost than getting everett, get cedeno.
2. in the last 2 teams everett had problems with them, he was a cancer at both places, does this make him a real jerk or a cancer......in all possibilities he just might be both and nothing is going to change that. We don't need another cancer- forget everett.
3. if roger cedeno is better in cf than borchard, move borchard to the lf and move lee for adding a position we need. lets add cedeno, for the same amount we would be paying everett.
4. with cj available we add him to the catcher and like this we still have all our pieces to trade for prospects at catcher and possibility ss.

Joel Perez
09-27-2001, 12:24 PM
LF Aaron Rowand
CF Carl Everett
RF Magglio Ordonez

Hmmm....not bad.

I agree with everyone, Everett is a major risk. His attitude makes Tony Phillips seem like he's Greg Maddux. Everett does pose a real problem in the clubhouse, especially with the younger players who are coming up in the farm system.

Having said all that, I would make the deal.

It's not everyday that you can try to obtain a CF with power, range, and a bat that Everett possesses. With him and a healthy Frank Thomas next year, this should be a very powerful lineup. This is as equal as a risk as when Kenny Williams rolled the dice last winter and picked up David Wells--we all new about what a head case he can be, but boy, does he win you ball games when he's healthy. This year--he wasn't healthy, but if he shows any dedication this offseason, Kenny should resign him as well.

I would make the trade. So long, :caballo--say hello to the chowderheads over there near Nantucket for me.

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
LF Aaron Rowand
CF Carl Everett
RF Magglio Ordonez

Hmmm....not bad.

I agree with everyone, Everett is a major risk. His attitude makes Tony Phillips seem like he's Greg Maddux. Everett does pose a real problem in the clubhouse, especially with the younger players who are coming up in the farm system.

Having said all that, I would make the deal.

It's not everyday that you can try to obtain a CF with power, range, and a bat that Everett possesses. With him and a healthy Frank Thomas next year, this should be a very powerful lineup. This is as equal as a risk as when Kenny Williams rolled the dice last winter and picked up David Wells--we all new about what a head case he can be, but boy, does he win you ball games when he's healthy. This year--he wasn't healthy, but if he shows any dedication this offseason, Kenny should resign him as well.

I would make the trade. So long, :caballo--say hello to the chowderheads over there near Nantucket for me. so you would trade lee for everett?

FarWestChicago
09-27-2001, 12:58 PM
so you would trade lee for everett? I wouldn't.

KempersRS
09-27-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I wouldn't.

I second that.

Foulke You
09-27-2001, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't want Everett. The guy is a hot head and not worth the risk. Why get a possible clubhouse cancer when you have a new and improved .300 hitting Chris Singleton who everyone in the clubhouse loves? Chris is finally coming into his own as a CF, why replace him with a Cancer like Everett? I'd also take Singleton's glove over Everett's any day of the week.

One interesting side note: If the Sox retained Canseco and traded for Everett, we would have the 2 guys in MLB who are the champions of crowding the plate.

Joel Perez
09-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Would I say that I Would trade :caballo for Everett? No, I would never do that.

But now this guy, :KW , that's another story....who the hell knows?

RichieRichAllen
09-28-2001, 12:11 PM
I agree 100%. Singleton's had an unassumingly good year (look at his stats with runners on base). He's a better-than-average centerfielder who gets better every year. Still needs to be more aggressive (especially on the basepaths), but what the hell?

I don't understand the logic of even considering somebody like Everett for the '02 Sox. Haven't we learned enough from the Belle, G. Bell, Navarro, Cordero, Phillips, etc. experiments from years past? Add Clayton to that list, although I do think he still has to be considered starting SS for next year unless the Sox come up with a viable option (and yeah, Valentin might be viable...but the defense has GOT to be tweaked somewhere else before that should be considered). Hell, I'd rather see the Sox make a move for Robin Ventura before considering Carl Everett.

That's my 2 sense ;-)

Originally posted by Foulke You
I wouldn't want Everett. The guy is a hot head and not worth the risk. Why get a possible clubhouse cancer when you have a new and improved .300 hitting Chris Singleton who everyone in the clubhouse loves? Chris is finally coming into his own as a CF, why replace him with a Cancer like Everett? I'd also take Singleton's glove over Everett's any day of the week.

One interesting side note: If the Sox retained Canseco and traded for Everett, we would have the 2 guys in MLB who are the champions of crowding the plate.