PDA

View Full Version : Halfway Home

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Tomorrow is the 81st game of the season, the halfway point and looking back over the scores, one thing jumped out at me. Perhaps some of you can explain it.

The Sox have played 27 series in the first half and have swept two of them.

That's right...only the Royals at home in April and the Twins about ten days ago (It seems like a lifetime doesn't it?)

This is not meant as a dig or an attack but I don't understand how a team that supposedly has all this talent, has only swept two three game series out of 27. (and they played some bad teams in that time...)

Seriously... maybe the Sox aren't as talented as some think. Maybe the shortcoming are pretty pronounced.

(Just so you know I said that I thought they'd finish second with 85 wins.)

Lip

Parrothead
07-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Scary stat !:o:

mantis1212
07-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Tomorrow is the 81st game of the season, the halfway point and looking back over the scores, one thing jumped out at me. Perhaps some of you can explain it.

That's right...only the Royals at home in April and the Twins about ten days ago (It seems like a lifetime doesn't it?)

This is not meant as a dig or an attack but I don't understand how a team that supposedly has all this talent, has only swept two three game series out of 27. (and they played some bad teams in that time...)

Seriously... maybe the Sox aren't as talented as some think. Maybe the shortcoming are pretty pronounced.

Lip
So how many times have they been swept? Since when do they "have all this talent?" Wow, that's what I call "spin". Do you have hawk's next pick to click?

doublem23
07-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Man, if only individual wins and losses were what appeared in the standings and not how often you sweep series. Then we'd only be like 2 games out of first. Alas...

Seriously, for all the goofy stats that get thrown around out here, this has to be the silliest. You people crack me up. :cool:

Huisj
07-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Man, if only individual wins and losses were what appeared in the standings and not how often you sweep series. Then we'd only be like 2 games out of first. Alas...

Seriously, for all the goofy stats that get thrown around out here, this has to be the silliest. You people crack me up. :cool:
to a point it doesn't mean a lot in terms of raw Ws ans Ls, but i think it kind of just shows that this team lacks something that it takes to be an elite team. they can't put teams away and dominate. they are much too inconsistent. they are gangbusters one game, and then flat the next. i think that this stat does say something about the makeup of this team. they can't put things away.

it's almost like jerry manual still lives on with his old sunday afternoon who cares lineups.

LauraJ14
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
It also means that we could be putting together long winning streaks which we have not done this year.
We have won 5 games in a row, thats the longest streak this year, how many times do we lose the first game of a series then win the next two? There isn't any consistency.

Blob
07-08-2004, 09:51 AM
It also means that we could be putting together long winning streaks which we have not done this year.
We have won 5 games in a row, thats the longest streak this year, how many times do we lose the first game of a series then win the next two? There isn't any consistency.
I don't know about everyone else but, I'll take losing the first game if it means winning the next two!

Again, it does not appear individual games count, only wins streaks and series sweeps...

BigEdWalsh
07-08-2004, 10:14 AM

I don't think it's at all silly. As someone else said, we've played some pretty bad teams that if we were a good team, one of the elite teams, dare I say it (?), a 1st place caliber team, we would have more than 2 sweeps. I'm pretty sure that the early season 5th starter woes were to blame for some series that shoulda been swept but weren't. Sure it doesn't MEAN anything. Individual wins and losses are all that matters in the end. But, it indicates inconsistency. All Lip Man 1 was trying to point out in his original post is just that. The Sox need to be more consistent. Bury the lousy teams! Let's start seeing some series sweeps. Bring on Kansas City!!!

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM

Lip
:chickenlittle

Dan H
07-08-2004, 10:29 AM
The bottom line at half way home is that the team is barely above .500. Having swept only two series is not a dumb stat when the Sox have been swept by the Cubs and are on the verge of being swept by the Angels. Not to mention that they have lost 4 1/2 games in the standings to the Twins in a week. Plenty of time to turn season around. How about sweeping the Mariners?

Mickster
07-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Two things to consider:

1. Our first half of the schedule is definately more difficult than the second half of the schedule.

2. The daunted 5th starter will give you an L every 5th game. Kinda difficult to sweep when, at the very least, you put yourself in a position to win only 80% of the games from the get go.....

Flight #24
07-08-2004, 11:14 AM

Lip
On the other hand, I think they've only been swept 3 times. In terms of series, they're 13-8-5, all with a significant chunk of time without their best offensive player, mostly without a solid 5th starter, and while playing a much tougher schedule than we have yet to come. All of that bodes well for us coming out of the break.

We've lost 5 in a row including being swept by our crosstown rivals. The Yankees have lost 5-6 including being swept by their crosstown rival. We're 11-12 in our last 23 games, the Yankees were 12-11 in their first 23 games. The point of all this is that none of it is reason to believe that we're not a very good team and that we don't have the ability to run away with this division. Most teams hit a slump during the season. Ours has been around .500 and coincided with losing our best player.

LauraJ14
07-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Well the Yankees have a 6 game lead on Boston so they can afford to be .500 now. The Twins just finished sweeping KC and get to play Detroit next.

KingXerxes
07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
The Twins just finished sweeping KC and get to play Detroit next.Farmer said this last night after the game as if to imply that the Tigers were a bunch of pushovers. Detroit is not a bad team, and seems to be getting better as the year progresses (same with Cleveland). I'm not saying the sky is falling or anything like that - but I hope the White Sox are not banking on winning 15 of the 19 that they have left against Detroit.

As far as the halfway point goes, it's kind of frustrating. They had a much better start than in previous years, and here they are - just a couple of games ahaead of the same point they were at last year. Not to slam Guillen (as I have been somewhat pleasantly surprised at his performance), but I'm not sure he's the big "difference-maker" that a lot of people were hoping he'd be.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Actually in series results the Sox are 13-9-5.

Since June 1st they are 3-6-2.

Lip

LauraJ14
07-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Farmer said this last night after the game as if to imply that the Tigers were a bunch of pushovers. Detroit is not a bad team, and seems to be getting better as the year progresses (same with Cleveland). I'm not saying the sky is falling or anything like that - but I hope the White Sox are not banking on winning 15 of the 19 that they have left against Detroit.

As far as the halfway point goes, it's kind of frustrating. They had a much better start than in previous years, and here they are - just a couple of games ahaead of the same point they were at last year. Not to slam Guillen (as I have been somewhat pleasantly surprised at his performance), but I'm not sure he's the big "difference-maker" that a lot of people were hoping he'd be.
I don't think Detroit is a pushover so hopefully they give the Twins some trouble. But we have to still play them 19 times!
I agree with you that the Sox have had a better start this year but I really would like to see them with a more extended winning streak especailly since they have had enough off days that the 5th starter wasn't used for a good period of time. I look at this years team and I honestly think that last year's team was better. It seems like we are banking on this fabulous 2nd half again and do we have the pitching to do it? I am not so sure.