PDA

View Full Version : Ozz Deserves a LOT of the Blame for our recent struggles

Hangar18
07-07-2004, 10:27 PM
We are in the midst of one of our worst stretches. Stretches where
weve been unable to lay down bunts (Rowand), situational hit (Crede/Gload), and make terrible defensive gaffes (Gload). We Look TERRIBLE right now. Im basically STILL FUMING over how pathetic and unprepared this team Seemed over the weekend. I DIDNT watch any of yesterdays game and my SOX fan curiousity got the best of me as I turned the game on to see us getting Whomped again 9-0. Bottom Line, Ozz has put some really STUPID lineups
out there, and setting us up to Lose. If it wasnt GLOAD giving away Fridays game, then it was Aaron Rowand batting 5th (5th!!!??????) in Sundays Game,
to his having Frank THomas PinchHit with NOOONE ON, to having Shingo come into the game in the 8th inning, Ozz seems to have LAPSED with his managing.
There have been quite a few blunders, including NOT PINCHHITTING Crede in many situations. Frankly, the guy SUCKS right now, and should be batting 9th to minimize his horribleness. I listened on the radio, and Farmer and Rooney LAUGHED at the Angels pitcher, saying he was pitching around whoever was in front of Crede, TO GET TO CREDE. He struck him out on 3pitches ......ending the scoring threat, something hes been doing on a REGULAR BASIS the last 10-14 days. Ozz deserves to be smacked down for this stretch for sure, just like he deserved to be lauded for their winning.
Just had to get that off my chest .................

Frankfan4life
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
weve been unable to lay down bunts (Rowand), situational hit (Crede/Gload), and make terrible defensive gaffes (Gload). We Look TERRIBLE right now. Im basically STILL FUMING over how pathetic and unprepared this team Seemed over the weekend. I DIDNT watch any of yesterdays game and my SOX fan curiousity got the best of me as I turned the game on to see us getting Whomped again 9-0. Bottom Line, Ozz has put some really STUPID lineups
out there, and setting us up to Lose. If it wasnt GLOAD giving away Fridays game, then it was Aaron Rowand batting 5th (5th!!!??????) in Sundays Game,
to his having Frank THomas PinchHit with NOOONE ON, to having Shingo come into the game in the 8th inning, Ozz seems to have LAPSED with his managing.
There have been quite a few blunders, including NOT PINCHHITTING Crede in many situations. Frankly, the guy SUCKS right now, and should be batting 9th to minimize his horribleness. I listened on the radio, and Farmer and Rooney LAUGHED at the Angels pitcher, saying he was pitching around whoever was in front of Crede, TO GET TO CREDE. He struck him out on 3pitches ......ending the scoring threat, something hes been doing on a REGULAR BASIS the last 10-14 days. Ozz deserves to be smacked down for this stretch for sure, just like he deserved to be lauded for their winning.
Just had to get that off my chest .................Thanks for saying what I've been thinking. We're quickly becoming the Kansas City Royals - a team with a lot of talent, but no execution. Of course it's Ozzie's fault, his decision-making has been faulty and his attempts to rally this team, unsuccessful. I hope he veers off his present course before it's too late.

SEALgep
07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
The bats go cold, and Ozzie gets the blame. :?:

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 10:58 PM

Ozzie can't pitch and hit. The team is in a funk. The only thing that he can do is try to motivate guys.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with most of his decisions. There are times when I'd PH, steal and run and hit when he doesn't. However, he knows alot more than me.

Even though Crede's numbers don't look good, he's actually been hitting the ball pretty hard. PK's the only guy that's hitting better. Actually, Crede's number compare relatively well with Manos. It seems everyone wants to resign Manos as well.

the_valenstache
07-07-2004, 11:00 PM
He needs to start a fire in the clubhouse. Or just break some stuff.

:ozzie
"Ayeyeyyayayayayahhhhh!!"

samram
07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't blame the manager for slumps, but I will find fault with him if the slump or losing streak lasts too long. He has to be able to push the right buttons to make a talented team play better, or play to its potential more often. But it's not his fault yet.

doublem23
07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
The bats go cold, and Ozzie gets the blame. :?:
He got all the credit early on when the bats were smokin'. Seems only fair.

Tragg
07-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Rowand's a bad ballplayer- it's only Ozzie's fault to the extent he thinks he isn't.

NO catcher no proven 2b, a 3b who's taking a long time to hit.

I flipped for the foolsgold myself

And if they really are signing Garcia for anything close to 9 mill a year, I don't see how chemistry problems could NOT erupt

Win1ForMe
07-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't blame the manager for slumps, but I will find fault with him if the slump or losing streak lasts too long. He has to be able to push the right buttons to make a talented team play better, or play to its potential more often. But it's not his fault yet.
I gave Manuel hell for these types of prolonged streaks (I used to believe that corpseball was a Manuel creation) so it's only fair that I do the same for Ozzie. That or take everything about Manuel back.

pinwheels3530
07-08-2004, 01:25 AM
It's Ozzies fault :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: come on the team is going through a slump right now, Frank is out, Magglio is out those are two big holes in our lineup. It was just last week the Sox swept the Twins in the dome now everyone is crying like a bunch babies relax and drink a :gulp: we'll get on track go SOX!!!!!!

ZachAL
07-08-2004, 01:52 AM
If you know a thing about baseball you know by watching these games that Ozzie does not situationally handle his team well. This was true when we were winning as well. Little things from not warming up a pitcher in time for when he'll need him, his lineups, etc. If we can win and Ozzie can motivate the team then i'm all for it, but that doesnt change the fact that Ozzie has made bad choices even when we were winning....But he's a rookie so I guess we can cut him some slack. The thing that got me upset was on the postgame show when they asked him if this was a time to "start swearing and flipping over tables" like Ozz said he'd do if needed this season, Ozzie said "no we'll listen to music like always". That got me mad, if anytime was a time to fire guys up and get mad it should be NOW especially with the ease of Minnesotas July schedule....And you could tell the Sox werent gonna win the game tonight when all of them walked lacksadasically (sp?) out to there positions when announced tonight.

cbrownson13
07-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Rowand's a bad ballplayer- it's only Ozzie's fault to the extent he thinks he isn't.

NO catcher no proven 2b, a 3b who's taking a long time to hit.

I flipped for the foolsgold myself

And if they really are signing Garcia for anything close to 9 mill a year, I don't see how chemistry problems could NOT erupt
I wouldn't go as far to say Rowand is a bad ballplayer. He's hitting .300 with 8HRs and has 9SB. He needs a chance to play everyday to get in a groove. He's played in 63 of the 80 games this year. Enough of this Timo/Gload garbage. Timo seems lazy to me and while I like Gload, his defense is a liability. What this team needs, isn't necessarily a pep talk, but to have their two best hitters in the lineup. Not too many teams I know could lose two All-Star hitters at the same time and keep their run production up. You look around baseball and ask how teams would fair without TWO .300, 30HR, 100RBI guys out of the lineup and it wouldn't look good. How would Boston look without Manny and Ortiz? Cubs without Sosa and Alou? Phillies without Thome and Abreu? I could go on, but you guys get the point.

Palehose13
07-08-2004, 02:55 AM
I'll just say thanks to Ozzie that the Sox are still in this race. Anyone who bitches...remember where we were at this time last year?

minastirith67
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
I agree with Hangar except for the part of putting Takatsu in the 8th inning Sunday...I thought that was a wise move. But leaving Frank on the bench especially when Konerko was struggling!? Ozzie Guillen should have the blame for ending Frank's hot hitting.

I sincerely hope we get out of this and start winning, especially against playoff-capable teams like the Angels and Cubs.

:whiner:

Fungo
07-08-2004, 08:55 AM
:hawk
That's Ozzie-ball !

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2004, 09:01 AM
When Ozzie was signed I did not like the move. However, I resigned myself to holding strong criticism for at least a year (probably longer) because he is a rookie manager. He will make mistakes and he will learn. To take any other approach is unfair, even if we are in a run for the division. Unfortunately many of the Sox problems are repeats of last year's problems.

Just with JM, if we see these mistakes in year 4 or 5 then he is fair game.

mrwag
07-08-2004, 09:52 AM
There are still fundamental problems with this team, and it revolves around the love of the long ball. We've seen this for several years now - they CANNOT MANUFACTURE RUNS. When the bats go cold, they have nothing to rely on. Plus, when the table setters aren't getting on base, you cannot get runners around. It's simple, and the opposing pitchers know this weakness and use it to their advantage (example with Washburn last night pitching to Crede).

I'd be willing to move a PK or CLee in order to get some speed and little-ball players into that line-up to sacrfice some of the power hitters. Ozzie said it right - it's a streaky team. Something needs to be done to level things out and keep these dry spells to a 2-3 game spell instead of a week or 2.

We saw this exact same thing happen last year and it came at the wrong time - near the end of the season against the Twins. This cannot happen again this year or we'll have pissed away yet another promising season.

Let's just hope the team chemistry didn't get too screwed up with the loss of Olivo and the new faces.

phaedrus
07-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Anyone forget that Frank has been out for 2 games with a sore foot since Ozzie messed up and didn't play him?!? The guy was hurt but we didn't know it yet and Oz was trying to rest him. Lighten up - we were on top of the world last week.

hawkjt
07-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Yea ,I remeber where we were last year- under .500 and hitting .239 as a team. Maunel could not hit for them last year and he got blamed. They are hitting .275 as a team now and we are about 4 games better. Last year we caught fire and hit like we should and we were 2 games up on Sept 12. I hope Ozzie can get us to the same spot as Manuel got us last year. I have my doubts that it was all Manuel's fault last year or Ozzies credit this year that we are hitting 36 pts better. I think it is when Walker took over last year that has been the diff. Manuel got a raw deal from sox fans. Oz will be getting booed eventually also.