PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Call up Joe Borchard Thread

knocko94
07-07-2004, 10:20 PM
LTP went 2-4 with another dinger, I think he deserves a call-up

I'm tired of these jokers we've been sending out there, Gload, Burke, Davis, Willie: any one of them is a candidate for a spot on the Barons bench.

What do you all think?

duke of dorwood
07-07-2004, 10:35 PM
He should have been in the OF every day while Ordonez was hurt

MikeKreevich
07-07-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm for it.

samram
07-07-2004, 10:38 PM
So true. There was nothing to lose by doing that.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Problem 1: When Maggs went down, Joe was hurt. He was playing, but wasn't heathly.

2: Harris was our starting CF at the time. The Timo/Rowand RF plattoon was successful for a while.

Daver

I'm tired of these jokers we've been sending out there, Gload, Burke, Davis, Willie: any one of them is a candidate for a spot on the Barons bench.

What do you all think?
The expert arm chair GM's of the WSI forums have already decided Joe is a washout.

Aidan
Excellent idea. How the hell could a switch-hitting right fielder with home run power hurt us right now? I guess Gload in right field is the better choice. :rolleyes:

Viva Magglio
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I say give him a chance, but who goes to make room for him? Not that there are any sacred cows here right now.

Cowch44
07-07-2004, 10:41 PM
We can send everyone that sucks down, and take everyone doing good in AAA.

TomParrish79
07-07-2004, 10:42 PM
anythings better than Ross Gload, Maggs just needs to hurry up and get back.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Well guys. I think this is the first official bandwagon that I've seen since I've found this site. At that time, I was shocked that the majority of posters felt that LTP was already a bust. Ah, wow things change. :redneck

DannyCaterFan
07-07-2004, 10:44 PM
:angry: Don't panic....Maggs will be back next week. We need to ride this out!

knocko94
07-07-2004, 10:46 PM
I really hate carrying three catchers, especially when one is Ben Freakin Davis.

Davis should be sent packing and Joe can play CF/RF sharing duties with Rowand and Timo.

Gload has proved that he really can't hack it in RF, he'll be a lefty stick off the bench.

If Maggs goes down and Frank is hurt for a bit with his bum foot, I can see Maggs DHing to keep the knee out of harms way and LTP patrolling the outfield

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 10:51 PM
I really hate carrying three catchers, especially when one is Ben Freakin Davis.

Davis should be sent packing and Joe can play CF/RF sharing duties with Rowand and Timo.

Gload has proved that he really can't hack it in RF, he'll be a lefty stick off the bench.

If Maggs goes down and Frank is hurt for a bit with his bum foot, I can see Maggs DHing to keep the knee out of harms way and LTP patrolling the outfield
If it means that LTP isn't going to get AB's everyday, then I say, NO. He needs consistant work. He's not the type of guy you want riding the bench.

With that said, he can probably help the team more than Gload right now. We already carry 2 guys capable of playing 1st and Borchard hits from both sides.

What's more important? Getting Joe AB's everyday so he can continue to develop. Bring him up to play sporadically and be used in pinch hit situations. I go for the 1st option. However, all signs point to this team needing to win this year.

Flight #24
07-07-2004, 11:05 PM
How can you call up Borchard? He's destined to be a gigantic flop since he's not in the Jeremy Brown mold of the perfect ballplayer according to Billy Beane!

Scotty347
07-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Call him up tonight and let him play every day.

I'm done with Timo, Gload, Aaron, etc. When Mags is back but Borchard in CF.

We need some pop in this lineup. I think its time.

Parrothead
07-07-2004, 11:45 PM

What do you all think?
Why do we need another slow guy who strikes out and can't field well?

This team is driving me to :gulp:

mdep524
07-07-2004, 11:51 PM

What do you all think?
I would have been all over this idea.... a week or two ago. Now Maggs is (hopefully) on the verge of coming back in a week, so I don't think we should callup Borchard to make a couple starts and then sit. If he plays every day, this is a good idea. Like I said in another thread, this is like the Twins calling up Lew Ford to replace Shannon Stewart. (as opposed to arbitrary, day-by-day platoons)

Daver
07-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Why do we need another slow guy who strikes out and can't field well?

The only guy on the forty man roster faster than Joe Borchard is Willie Harris, I will not even bother pointing out your errors in his fielding ability.

milrtyme28
07-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Im not a big borchard fan, but i cant see why that would be a bad idea at this point. we need an offensive spark and it looks like we'll be without frank or mags until next week.

we really cant afford to give anything up this weekend when seattle is in town. why not give it a shot? Call him up, even if it is just for a few games.

mcfish
07-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Should have been done weeks ago. I don't know how good of a move it would be now. If we do do it, sending Willie down would be fine by me - he's useless if can't get on base regularly and he isn't willing to steal bases when he does.

Parrothead
07-08-2004, 12:36 AM
The only guy on the forty man roster faster than Joe Borchard is Willie Harris, I will not even bother pointing out your errors in his fielding ability.
He is hitting .264 with 4 sb's and 3 caught stealings, 63 Strikeouts in 280 ab's.

This going to help how?

JB98
07-08-2004, 01:09 AM
He is hitting .264 with 4 sb's and 3 caught stealings, 63 Strikeouts in 280 ab's.

This going to help how?
Well, Borchard is not a future HOF'er by any means. But who would you rather see at DH, Borchard or Jamie Burke? I couldn't believe it when I saw Burke penciled in to that spot tonight. He was totally overmatched against Washburn. He can't hit a lick. The only reason he's still in professional baseball at age 32 is he's a pretty good receiver and pitchers like throwing to him. No way he should be placed in an offensive role like that, but what options did Ozzie have? You want to play Harris, Gload or Davis against a tough lefty? That's why you have to consider making a call-up. You're choosing from a host of bad options at this point.

If Frank is going to be out of the lineup for a few days, I'd farm out Davis and call up Borchard. We don't need three catchers.

Parrothead
07-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Well, Borchard is not a future HOF'er by any means. But who would you rather see at DH, Borchard or Jamie Burke? I couldn't believe it when I saw Burke penciled in to that spot tonight. He was totally overmatched against Washburn. He can't hit a lick. The only reason he's still in professional baseball at age 32 is he's a pretty good receiver and pitchers like throwing to him. No way he should be placed in an offensive role like that, but what options did Ozzie have? You want to play Harris, Gload or Davis against a tough lefty? That's why you have to consider making a call-up. You're choosing from a host of bad options at this point.

If Frank is going to be out of the lineup for a few days, I'd farm out Davis and call up Borchard. We don't need three catchers.Personally I would like to see Davis sent down, keep Burke as a backup. Send Gload down, call up Andres Torres (CF) or Michael Spidale (lf) both have speed (20 sb's each with 4 cs) and are hitting about .290. This team needs some speed, in my opinion the Sox have enough of power hitters. Lets get some defense. It is worth a shot.

JB98
07-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Personally I would like to see Davis sent down, keep Burke as a backup. Send Gload down, call up Andres Torres (CF) or Michael Spidale (lf) both have speed (20 sb's each with 4 cs) and are hitting about .290. This team needs some speed, in my opinion the Sox have enough of power hitters. Lets get some defense. It is worth a shot.
Fair enough. I want to keep Gload around for pinch-hitting. He's done well in that role. I don't want to see him in right field anymore, however. We agree that Davis should be gone. I'd still prefer Borchard, but I could live with a call-up of Torres since he has MLB experience.

Vernam
07-08-2004, 02:12 AM
I say give him a chance, but who goes to make room for him? Not that there are any sacred cows here right now.
Send down Davis (seen enough of him already -- how could he have been a #2 draft pick overall?) and Gload, then bring up Borchard and a can of Alpo. :(:

Vernam

Vernam
07-08-2004, 02:14 AM
The expert arm chair GM's of the WSI forums have already decided Joe is a washout.Wait, that was before Reed got traded. Now Borchard is our messiah again. :D:

Vernam

California Sox
07-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Hey, we've seen plenty of Andres Torres when he was with Detroit. You could knock the bat out of his hands in slow-pitch softball. The player we need (alas) is Reed but we traded him because KW believes in Borchard. I'd have liked to see Borchard get a chance when Maggs was out because we've bet so much of the future on him, it would be nice to get a gauge on whether or not that was a foolish bet or not. Of course, I'm not as high on Borchard as KW. Personally, I'm starting the "Waiting for Brian Anderson" group. Any joiners?

jeremyb1
07-08-2004, 02:18 AM
How can you call up Borchard? He's destined to be a gigantic flop since he's not in the Jeremy Brown mold of the perfect ballplayer according to Billy Beane!

I'm dead serious. I'm going to stop responding to people's posts if they're only going to post arguing against things I haven't said. You don't have to go back very far to witness the posts I made arguing we should call up Borchard or Reed to fill in for Maggs but I guess you wouldn't know since you've only been here for five weeks. I realize this post isn't necessarily directed at me but I've been on this board for a couple years now and I've never seen any "stathead" bring up Jeremy Brown, only those that go out of their way to bash Billy Beane.

If all it's going to be is off target insults and putting words into peoples' mouths, you can do that on your own you don't need me or any other "statheads" or FOB for it. Knock yourself out. This doesn't just go to one poster either, this is the second post I've had to deal with of this nature today. If you're going to attack someone attack what they say not your backwards perceptions of their viewpoints. If you're going to refrain to insults than there's no longer much room for civilized debate.

Parrothead
07-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey, we've seen plenty of Andres Torres when he was with Detroit. You could knock the bat out of his hands in slow-pitch softball. The player we need (alas) is Reed but we traded him because KW believes in Borchard. I'd have liked to see Borchard get a chance when Maggs was out because we've bet so much of the future on him, it would be nice to get a gauge on whether or not that was a foolish bet or not. Of course, I'm not as high on Borchard as KW. Personally, I'm starting the "Waiting for Brian Anderson" group. Any joiners?
I am in, if there is room. BRIAN ANDERSON RULES !!!!!

Maybe Torres improved. He seems to be fast, though. I suggested him due to the base cloggers we have. They could use him the way they used McKay Christensen years ago.

BigEdWalsh
07-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Hey, we've seen plenty of Andres Torres when he was with Detroit. You could knock the bat out of his hands in slow-pitch softball. The player we need (alas) is Reed but we traded him because KW believes in Borchard. I'd have liked to see Borchard get a chance when Maggs was out because we've bet so much of the future on him, it would be nice to get a gauge on whether or not that was a foolish bet or not. Of course, I'm not as high on Borchard as KW. Personally, I'm starting the "Waiting for Brian Anderson" group. Any joiners?While I'm in the "shoulda-brought-up-Joe-when Maggs-went-down" camp (instead of bringing up a third catcher :angry: ), I'll join the "Waiting for Brian Anderson" group. Pretty sure on this guy being The Real Thing. I just hope the wait isn't a long one. :D:

HomerCoach
07-08-2004, 08:04 AM
When Maggs comes back, shortly, we don't need another OF (unless you send Gload or Perez down instead of a catcher), we need an infielder and we dont have any.
We've go to acquire some big time prospects that can swing the bat somewhere other than the little league field in Charolotte. I'm on the Brian Anderson boat as well!

samram
07-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Im not a big borchard fan, but i cant see why that would be a bad idea at this point. we need an offensive spark and it looks like we'll be without frank or mags until next week.

we really cant afford to give anything up this weekend when seattle is in town. why not give it a shot? Call him up, even if it is just for a few games. The problem is if he is brought up now, he is going to have a lot of pressure on him to be a big run producer immediately. I would rather he come up when the team is going well and he can hit 7th or 8th and settle in slowly. Right now he would be looked at as some type of saviour, and that's not fair to him.

Iguana775
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
The problem is if he is brought up now, he is going to have a lot of pressure on him to be a big run producer immediately. I would rather he come up when the team is going well and he can hit 7th or 8th and settle in slowly. Right now he would be looked at as some type of saviour, and that's not fair to him.
When wont he have pressure on him? It could be the first game of spring training and people will expect him to perform....and he should.

samram
07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
When wont he have pressure on him? It could be the first game of spring training and people will expect him to perform....and he should.
Being expected to perform is different than being expected to save a struggling team.

gosox41
07-08-2004, 08:32 AM

What do you all think?

I think the Sox really need to add another catcher. We're set in CF/RF with Perez, Gload, and Rowand. What can Borchard provide us? Only a chance at better stats?? That's not a good enough reason to call him up. What if the Sox play an extra inning game and use all 3 catchers. They may need a 4th at some point.

Bob

gosox41
07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Again, a third string catcher hitting .220 in the minors is much more important when replacing an All Star OFer. It gives the Sox added flexibility in case they play a 15 inning game and use all 3 catchers as well as severely weakens the bench by 1. putting a relatively weak hitter on it and 2. by taking one of your role playing OFer's and making him a starter.

Call up a top prospect???? That's crazy talk. We may use up a valuable option on him when instead we can use up valuable options of Diaz and Rauch by shipping them up and down.

Can you tell I'm pissed about this whole situation??? I agree with your above statement. I mentioned it back at the time and was told to hide under a rock or something.

Bob

gosox41
07-08-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm dead serious. I'm going to stop responding to people's posts if they're only going to post arguing against things I haven't said. You don't have to go back very far to witness the posts I made arguing we should call up Borchard or Reed to fill in for Maggs but I guess you wouldn't know since you've only been here for five weeks. I realize this post isn't necessarily directed at me but I've been on this board for a couple years now and I've never seen any "stathead" bring up Jeremy Brown, only those that go out of their way to bash Billy Beane.

If all it's going to be is off target insults and putting words into peoples' mouths, you can do that on your own you don't need me or any other "statheads" or FOB for it. Knock yourself out. This doesn't just go to one poster either, this is the second post I've had to deal with of this nature today. If you're going to attack someone attack what they say not your backwards perceptions of their viewpoints. If you're going to refrain to insults than there's no longer much room for civilized debate.
Don't worry, I get bashed to for bringing up the same stuff. I got bashed (even called names) for saying bringing up Burke as a mistake before the move officially happened (though at whitesox.com the story said Burke will be called up) and have been calling for Reed/Borchard sinceMagglio's injury.

The bottom line is Borchard (since Reed is gone) can be a more productive everyday player then a platoon of Timo, Rowand, and Gload. But I was called names for saying it then. I'm sure that particular person is going to jump on the same bandwagon right now or say nothing at all. Since I'm wriitng an opinion to an already existing thread (that I didn't even start) he'll call me a troll. I call me 'right'.

The abuse will happen around here. Very few will stick their necks out to make an opinion at the time of the move (for those that do I credit them) but I'm sure you know there are many Monday-morning QB's here.

Bob

knocko94
07-08-2004, 01:31 PM
With Frank going down for a bit(as I predicted) and Maggs DHing (ditto) it's time for Borchard to be called up.

Bucktown
07-18-2004, 05:46 PM

What do you all think?
Can all of the supporters of this idea please apologize to Sox fans now? Don't ever do it again.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Can all of the supporters of this idea please apologize to Sox fans now? Don't ever do it again.
I agree. Borchard sucks, and will likely never fulfill the potential he has. The Sox should have Jeremy Reed, who seems poised to at least become a servicable player once he reaches the big leagues.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-18-2004, 06:05 PM
we could bring up old threads all day long. what's the point? borchard seemed like a better option than gload at the time. why don't you guys bring up all the anti shingo threads while you're at it?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2004, 06:33 PM
we could bring up old threads all day long. what's the point? borchard seemed like a better option than gload at the time. why don't you guys bring up all the anti shingo threads while you're at it?
The anti-Shingo threads aren't being brought up, because those of us who questioned the decision to allow Shingo to be a part of the team now realize that we were wrong. The anti-Borchard threads will remain until Joe can get his head out of his ass.

Rudy Law
07-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Can we start the offical "Send Joe Borchard Packing Thread"

Joe its called 1B...You should try visiting it sometime

Bucktown
07-18-2004, 10:52 PM
we could bring up old threads all day long. what's the point? borchard seemed like a better option than gload at the time. why don't you guys bring up all the anti shingo threads while you're at it?What is the sense of debating if you don't settle the score. As for those shingo threads, I will go get one. I was on the right side of that debate too.

I have eaten my humble pie. It is therapeutic. I am on the record as saying that this will be a break-out year for Jon Rauch. Then again, maybe it will be (in Canada).

SoxxoS
07-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Isn't it just shocking he isn't hitting better in the majors than Charlotte? I mean, he was a .260 hitter in AAA...so that equates to about a .310 hitter in the majors, right?

Maybe Brian Anderson can be Miggy Cabrera Jr. Borchard isn't the long term answer.

jabrch
07-18-2004, 11:00 PM

19 ABs against Mulder, Zito, Harden and Moyer and you think you can come to a conclusion that Joe sucks or that he shouldn't be here? This is the dumbest post I have seen here in months.

OurBitchinMinny
07-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Bye bye joe. Maybe one of these days you will learn how to hit major league pitching.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Bye bye joe. Maybe one of these days you will learn how to hit major league pitching.This should be called the "*OFFICIAL* Send down Joe Borchard Thread" since that's what's going to happen to him. No offense to Joey, but Everett is going to be taking his starting spot in RF tomorrow.

:everett:
"Move over rookie! I'm BACK!"

:LTP
*with a blank stare* "HUH?!?"

:canseco
"When will I get a shot in RF?"

:KW
"After you finish that 27th cycle of roids."

Bucktown
07-18-2004, 11:19 PM

19 ABs against Mulder, Zito, Harden and Moyer and you think you can come to a conclusion that Joe sucks or that he shouldn't be here? This is the dumbest post I have seen here in months.I am sorry that Kenny Williams and I were quicker to judgement than you would have liked. I am sure Joe was about to go on a 8 for 19 tear to get his batting average up to .263.

Don't forget he hit .184 in 49 at bats last year. I can't remember who pitched those games. I am thinking it was Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson and Sandy Koufax.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I am sorry that Kenny Williams and I were quicker to judgement than you would have liked. I am sure Joe was about to go on a 8 for 19 tear to get his batting average up to .263.

Don't forget he hit .184 in 49 at bats last year. I can't remember who pitched those games. I am thinking it was Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson and Sandy Koufax.I honestly think that the Everett acquisition was more about Frank's 8 week injury than Borchard's struggles at the plate. No one could expect a Triple AAA guy to replace Frank. Hell, no one can expect Everett to replace Frank but it's definately the better option of the two.