PDA

View Full Version : Matsui and Abreu are in

34rancher
07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
I guess the East Coast Bias continues

cbrownson13
07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Yea, and in Matsui's case, FAR East bias.

Corlose 15
07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Konerko got absolutely ROBBED!!! :angry: What a joke that that putz Giambi is starting in that game and of course another Yankme gets the votes. Fan voting is ridiculous.

SoxFan78
07-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Well at least Abreu got in right? Thanks Philly for getting Thomas in. Wait, he didnt get in? Well thanks for nothing. Funny how mlb.com doesn't post the full voting results.

Thanks Joe Torre for screwing the Sox again, hope the sox beat your ass in the playoffs.

Here's to Sosa getting one in the ear. :gulp:

Kogs35
07-07-2004, 09:08 PM
I guess the East Coast Bias continues
i am cursing joe torre and the yankmees to loose the divistion to the red sox or even worse the devil rays. may it happen. and then goerge will have a heart attack and baseball will become normal aigan

Viva Magglio
07-07-2004, 09:09 PM
I'd like to know if the Thomas-Konerko ticket outpolled Matsui.

CHISOXFAN13
07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Well at least Abreu got in right? Thanks Philly for getting Thomas in. Wait, he didnt get in? Well thanks for nothing. Funny how mlb.com doesn't post the full voting results.

Thanks Joe Torre for screwing the Sox again, hope the sox beat your ass in the playoffs.

It was posted last year and am sure they will soon.

I think blaming the Phillies fans for not getting one of our players in is a bit harsh.

Last time I checked: NY and Japan are more populated than Chicago and Philly, but what the hell do I know.

34rancher
07-07-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd like to know if the Thomas-Konerko ticket outpolled Matsui.

That would be very interesting to see.

phdave
07-07-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm very sorry that Thomas did not make it. There is no love for NY in Philly, believe me, so I doubt many Phillies phans were voting for Matsui. Many of us at the Phillies board voted Abreu-Thomas but I guess not enough. Sorry. I would love to find out how many votes Thomas and Konerko got. I wonder when they will release that information.

Kogs35
07-07-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm very sorry that Thomas did not make it. There is no love for NY in Philly, believe me, so I doubt many Phillies phans were voting for Matsui. Many of us at the Phillies board voted Abreu-Thomas but I guess not enough. Sorry. I would love to find out how many votes Thomas and Konerko got. I wonder when they will release that information.
i bet they dont release it

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 09:17 PM
:hurt :walnuts

"Thanks for trying, guys!"

Nard
07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
We got screwed in a different way, too. What the hell are they doing putting two Sox players in a five-player poll where only one wins? Do they expect every Sox fan in the world to communicate and agree on a choice between two pretty equal players? They weren't exactly set up to succeed.

The Thomas-Konerko ticket murdered Matsui. I remember the MLB.com page saying today that Big Frank was in a close second, who was being followed also closely by PK.

Now if none of them make the Home Run Derby, well... :dtroll:

munchman33
07-08-2004, 12:26 AM
There were 9.5 million votes cast, 4.75 million per league (because they forced you to cast both votes). Of those, Matsui go 1.2 million, leaving 3.55 million votes amongst the other 4 candadites. There's no possible way the couldn't have had more combined votes than Matsui, considering they finished 2nd and 3rd. They'd have taken more than half the remaining votes, around 1.77 million votes.

Once again, let me say. For those of you who voted for Konerko, thank you for voting in Hideki Matsui.

Realist
07-08-2004, 08:54 AM
You're a Sox fan after my own heart. :gulp:

Realist
07-08-2004, 09:10 AM
There were 9.5 million votes cast, 4.75 million per league (because they forced you to cast both votes). Of those, Matsui go 1.2 million, leaving 3.55 million votes amongst the other 4 candadites. There's no possible way the couldn't have had more combined votes than Matsui, considering they finished 2nd and 3rd. They'd have taken more than half the remaining votes, around 1.77 million votes.

Once again, let me say. For those of you who voted for Konerko, thank you for voting in Hideki Matsui.Well, we at WSI are a tiny percentage of Sox fans and as you saw that in that one poll at the top of the "Sox Clubhouse", it wasn't a complete landslide for Frank. Although I voted for Frank and Abreu a gazzillion times, I can understand the argument for Paulie deserving to be there. I'll betcha at least 85% of the Sox fans that voted for Paulie had know idea that we were trying to unify behind one candidate at this and the Phillies site.

Oh well. We gave it a rub. Such is war.

Hopefully the entire team will get a little chip on its shoulder (like it did after spring training) and feel it needs to prove to the world how good it really it is. The current slump and the all-star snubs could actually be a nice catapult into the second half and there's no better way to prove to the world how good you are than in the World Series.

As much as I would have loved to see Frank represent us in the All-Star game, does anybody else feel a little bit excited at what kind of damage "Frank with something to prove" could do in the second half?

Go get 'em Frank!! Get that big-ass-October ring, put it on your middle finger and show the world!!

munchman33
07-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Well, we at WSI are a tiny percentage of Sox fans and as you saw that in that one poll at the top of the "Sox Clubhouse", it wasn't a complete landslide for Frank. Although I voted for Frank and Abreu a gazzillion times, I can understand the argument for Paulie deserving to be there. I'll betcha at least 85% of the Sox fans that voted for Paulie had know idea that we were trying to unify behind one candidate at this and the Phillies site.

Oh well. We gave it a rub. Such is war.

Hopefully the entire team will get a little chip on its shoulder (like it did after spring training) and feel it needs to prove to the world how good it really it is. The current slump and the all-star snubs could actually be a nice catapult into the second half and there's no better way to prove to the world how good you are than in the World Series.

As much as I would have loved to see Frank represent us in the All-Star game, does anybody else feel a little bit excited at what kind of damage "Frank with something to prove" could do in the second half?

Go get 'em Frank!! Get that big-ass-October ring, put it on your middle finger and show the world!!If all WSIers who voted had voted for Frank, I have no doubts that he would have won.

Realist
07-08-2004, 09:59 AM
If all WSIers who voted had voted for Frank, I have no doubts that he would have won.Maybe you're right, but I have a feeling you're over-estimating the percentage of Sox fans that are members here. Out of every 30 Sox fans that I meet, maybe 1 of them has even heard of WSI. That leaves a whole bunch of Sox fans out there making a fairly tough decision and deciding on either Frank or Paulie.

Having 2 Sox players to choose from was both flattering and a curse. Also, having a Yankee as one of the choices thrown into the mix, I'm afraid the outcome was probably pretty inevitable no matter how hard we tried, and we certainly tried. It appears that we and the gracious Philly fans that joined forces with us gave it one hell of a fight.

WWIII
07-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Go get 'em Frank!! Get that big-ass-October ring, put it on your middle finger and show the world!!
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Paulwny
07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
There's still an outside chance. Giambi is still feeling weak from the intestinal parasites and may decide not to play. With Frank nursing a bad ankle, that would leave PK. Who picks Giambi's replacement, Torre ?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyside083884488jul08,0,4606070.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

RKMeibalane
07-08-2004, 11:19 AM
There's still an outside chance. Giambi is still feeling weak from the intestinal parasites and may decide not to play. With Frank nursing a bad ankle, that would leave PK. Who picks Giambi's replacement, Torre ?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyside083884488jul08,0,4606070.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines
I have the feeling Giambi will play in the AS Game. I don't know why, but I just can't see him missing it.

Foulke You
07-08-2004, 12:39 PM

I can hear it now:

"NY Yankees 1B Jason Giambi cannot play in the 2004 All Star Game due to a parasitic infection still causing him trouble, therefore, Joe Torre has selected Cleveland Indians 1B Travis Hafner to replace Giambi. Hafner becomes the 5th Cleveland Indian to make the All Star Team. When reached for comment, Joe Torre said, "It was a tough decision, obviously, we felt that Tony Clark or Ruben Sierra would have been great replacements for Giambi, but we decided that only four Indians on the team was a snub to them and that made it easier to select Hafner."

Lip Man 1
07-08-2004, 01:35 PM
No question having larger fan bases helps them and kills the Sox.

What would help Sox players' fan recongnition?

Simple...win something of substance.

The Sox didn't seem to have any trouble getting multiple All Star selections in the 50's and through most of the 60's.

Why? Because every year they were in a pennant race (a real race not an artificially induced one in the A.L. Comedy Central.) and because they had marquee players.

The other thing that kills the Sox is the idea that you can basically vote as many times as you want. I'm sure Yankee fans love that concept. It should be one fan, one vote...period.

Lip