PDA

View Full Version : Docs pay teams

Paulwny
07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
This may be the reason the full extent of an injury isn't immediately detected.

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

New Sports Trend: The Team Doctors Now Pay the Team (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/18/sports/othersports/18DOCT.html?hp=&pagewanted=all&position=)

In a long New York Times article, Bill Pennington reports:

Despite concerns among many doctors and the players' unions over the ethics of putting health care out to bid, about half the teams in the four major North American professional sports are now tied contractually to a medical institution. Industry analysts expect that number to grow significantly. The teams like the money, and the hospitals like people to think that the teams reviewed all the local medical options before settling on their facilities as the best local option. Medical associations, and players' associations, hate the deals.

http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bbblog.htm

MUsoxfan
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I know a doctor who used to be part of the medical group that took care of the Sox. I asked him what happened, and he said that after the contract ran out JR wanted $250,000 just for this medical group to put the Sox logo on their door. They told the Sox there was no way that was gonna happen, but Rush Medical gladly paid the fee.

RichFitztightly
07-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I know a doctor who used to be part of the medical group that took care of the Sox. I asked him what happened, and he said that after the contract ran out JR wanted $250,000 just for this medical group to put the Sox logo on their door. They told the Sox there was no way that was gonna happen, but Rush Medical gladly paid the fee.
I know the doctors too and it's not quite like you said. I was told the people the Sox are with now offered Reinsdorf a bunch of money. Reinsdorf then went to the old doctors and said, "This is what these guys are offering, will you match it?" The old doctors said no and the Sox went with the new guys. It's kinda nit-picking, but what you said makes it sound like Reinsdorf was trying to extort money from the doctors which was never the impression I got. It boiled down to Jerry getting an offer he couldn't refuse.

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 08:32 AM
I know the doctors too and it's not quite like you said. I was told the people the Sox are with now offered Reinsdorf a bunch of money. Reinsdorf then went to the old doctors and said, "This is what these guys are offering, will you match it?" The old doctors said no and the Sox went with the new guys. It's kinda nit-picking, but what you said makes it sound like Reinsdorf was trying to extort money from the doctors which was never the impression I got. It boiled down to Jerry getting an offer he couldn't refuse.
But the fact remain that JR choice was driven by cash and not by who was the best to protect his investment in the players.

owensmouth
07-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Was the previous group the same ones that told Sirotka to go ahead and pitch in Japan even though he had a sore shoulder?

If the quality of the service remains consistant (or is better) then why is it wrong to accept a quarter of a million dollars to allow the Sox logo on the door? I'd be happy if JR did that fifty two more times and resigned Magglio with the cash.

Let's see, official barbershop of the Sox, official fast food joint of the Sox, official plumber of the Sox, official dentist of the Sox... Go to it Jerry.

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Was the previous group the same ones that told Sirotka to go ahead and pitch in Japan even though he had a sore shoulder?

If the quality of the service remains consistant (or is better) then why is it wrong to accept a quarter of a million dollars to allow the Sox logo on the door? I'd be happy if JR did that fifty two more times and resigned Magglio with the cash.

Let's see, official barbershop of the Sox, official fast food joint of the Sox, official plumber of the Sox, official dentist of the Sox... Go to it Jerry.
There is a big difference on a official barbershop and official medical personell of a team. A bad doo won't effect the outcome of a season but a bad medical staff will.

RichFitztightly
07-09-2004, 12:37 PM

The doctors I know only did the repair work and possibly some rehab stuff. As far my understanding goes, they had very little imput into performance decisions. I believe that's Herm Schneider's department. From everything I've been led to believe, Herm is very very good at what he does.

Paulwny
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
There is a big difference on a official barbershop and official medical personell of a team. A bad doo won't effect the outcome of a season but a bad medical staff will.
Now I understand why some players insist on seeing their own medical pros for an evaluation after an injury.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Don't forget a few years ago in Sports Illustrated the long expose regarding the Raiders team doctors and Curt Marsh (who wound up having his foot amputated...) and the issues that surrounded the Cleveland Clinic wining and dining Indian execs in order to get their business.

This is a whole twisted, conflict of interest situation regarding team doctors, the clinics they represent, the teams that the doctors work for and the teams need to have their players playing... sometimes against the health issues.

It is not a good situation but unfortunately I don't know of a solution because I am not a health professional.

In regards to the Sox specifically since 2000 you have had the misdiagnoses of Cal Eldred's injury (remember Manager Gandhi telling the press it was just a 'strained forearm muscle' and that he wouldn't miss more then a few starts? LOL) Mike Sirotka's situation, charges and the misreading of his MRI, Magglio Ordonez's misdiagnosis (how does a hamstring strain turn into a torn miniscus???) and now a writer for White Sox.com saying Thomas' injury was 'worse then first diagnosed...'

And am I forgetting the whole Jim Parque mess?

Thers's something wrong when you have this many issues with a medical staff in only four years.

Lip

Dadawg_77
07-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Now I understand why some players insist on seeing their own medical pros for an evaluation after an injury.
I actually I wonder why the MLBPA and other players unions hasn't formed a collective association of Doctors around the country. The basic problem with a team doctor is that there will always be a inherit conflict on interest when evaluating a player. The doctor works for the team thus could be subject to pressure form the team on what diagnose to give. This is what Lip is referring to in Raiders doctor scandal. If the players paid the docs, this conflict is removed and everyone can rest assured that the doc has the best interest of the player at heart.