PDA

View Full Version : Tigers & yankees game...

harwar
07-07-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm watching the tigers-yankees game and once again the tigers are beating the yankees and beating them easily.
Since we play them 19 times in the last 2 months of the season its starting to worry me.
Also,giambi is playing and looks like crap.I can't believe that guy is not only the starting 1st baseman in the ASG but is in the homerun derby also,
He doesn't look anything like he has in the past when he was very dangerous.

The Wimperoo
07-07-2004, 02:58 PM
That's what happens when you stop taking steroids.

CHISOXFAN13
07-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm watching the tigers-yankees game and once again the tigers are beating the yankees and beating them easily.
Since we play them 19 times in the last 2 months of the season its starting to worry me.
Also,giambi is playing and looks like crap.I can't believe that guy is not only the starting 1st baseman in the ASG but is in the homerun derby also,
Let's just hope Detroit stays hot this weekend with four in Minny.

This is the same team that got swept by the Rockies...

twinsuck1
07-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I mentioned that last month sometime and everyone said I was nuts to worry about the Tigers. Now it seems that everyone Is finally starting to take notice.
I guess We'll see what happens...........

Gumshoe
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
My prediction is Sox-Yankees in the 1st round of the playoffs. Bring'em on! We could have taken them out last year, but think of it this way:

If they don't do any deals, they have an all RH starting rotation! We can take them. Let's get Maggs back now, please ...

Gumshoe

Dice
07-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Remember, the Yankees staff isn't as dominating as people think it is. Vazquez is their best pitcher but he's only one arm. Mussina is having a terrible year. Brown is always injured. Contreras and Lieber are too inconsistent. And Halsey...well just take a look at the Yankees-Tiger score and you determine if he's ready.

The Yankees staff is in disarray right now. And that's why Detroit is taking advantage. Right now our pitching staff is doing a better job than the Yankees staff. Now does that mean that our staff is more talented than the Yankees? Not by a longshot.

The Yankees are currently 21st in MLB in ERA. At one point we were in the top ten in ERA until 2 weeks ago when our pitchers started to get shelled. I don't think the Yankees cracked the top ten in ERA this year? With the staff they have they should be top 3 BUT they haven't fullfilled their potential this year.
I think we'll be fine against the Tigers. I'm not worried about pitching but against them but hitting against them. They are 27th in the league in ERA so if we can't get more than 4 runs a game against them then we are done.

CHISOXFAN13
07-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Nice bullpen for the Tigers. So much for that big lead.

zach23
07-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Detroit is doing a good job of blowing it now. It just went from a 10-3 lead to a 10-8 lead and the Yankees are still batting in the 7th.

S.S. Lumber Yard
07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about the Tigers. They don't have the pitching to sustain a late season run IMO. Sure Pudge is the best catcher ever to live, however the Sox are just too powerful with Freddy Garcia and Magglio Ordonez.

greenpeach
07-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Let's just hope Detroit stays hot this weekend with four in Minny.

This is the same team that got swept by the Rockies...
That series was another prime example of a heavy hitting American League team being penalized because they weren't allowed to use their DH in a NL park. The leagues MUST have uniformed rules. It's totally ridiculous. I know Selig wants to get rid of the DH in the American League but Fehr & the union are putting up a stink about the loss of a job for a position player. Why not just add another roster spot for every team in both leagues ?

mcfish
07-07-2004, 03:44 PM
That series was another prime example of a heavy hitting American League team being penalized because they weren't allowed to use their DH in a NL park. The leagues MUST have uniformed rules. It's totally ridiculous. I know Selig wants to get rid of the DH in the American League but Fehr & the union are putting up a stink about the loss of a job for a position player. Why not just add another roster spot for every team in both leagues ?
I'll put up a stink if they get rid of the DH rule in the AL. I think they should bring it into the NL if they want uniform rules. I'm all for defensive battles - in fact the best game I've ever been to was a 2-1 14 inning marathon between the Brewers and Phillies in Milwaukee County Stadium, but there is no reason I should have to watch a pitcher bat .120 all year (which is better than Ben Davis I guess). I'd rather have a game won by the better players than by the better manager.

Dadawg_77
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
My prediction is Sox-Yankees in the 1st round of the playoffs. Bring'em on! We could have taken them out last year, but think of it this way:

If they don't do any deals, they have an all RH starting rotation! We can take them. Let's get Maggs back now, please ...

Gumshoe
Well RH pitching kills us, I wish they had an all LH staff, then we would win easily.

Flight #24
07-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Agreed, pitchers batting sucks and the double switch is WAY overrated strategically.

IIRC, the concern about the loss of the DH and the added roster spot is that you'd basically replace a medium-high salaried offensive player with a low salaried bench player, something the MLBPA is 10000000% against. Never mind whether it's good for the game or anything.