PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Talks Re-opened???

cbrownson13
07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
It looks like just as the door has been slammed on contract talks by Magglio, Kenny Williams is trying to knock it back in. I just heard on the ESPN Radio Sportscenter Update that Kenny Williams has a new contract package in store for Magglio.

DaveIsHere
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Keep us posted, sounds like they want to get something done before the seaon is over if possible, I think they want to know if it is going to happen otherwise Maggs will be gawn in a trade I suspect

samram
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Let's face it, no one knows what's happening there. Everyday the story changes. The way I see it, he's here until the season ends most likely and then we'll see what happens. If they have to cut off talks until the end of the season for Maggs to play well in the second half, then fine, if it will take it off his mind.

DaveIsHere
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
On another thought, do you think the Sox will try and get maggs to sign a contract and then ship him somewhere shortly thereafter? You know we kind of sign him for another team in a way, so that where ever he goes he is locked up for them and we get some goodies in exchange?

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 12:55 PM
I'd ship him to Houston for Oswalt and Beltran!

CWSGuy406
07-07-2004, 12:57 PM
I'd ship him to Houston for Oswalt and Beltran!And while we're at it trade Rowand to Houston for Berkman and Clemens!

jabrch
07-07-2004, 12:58 PM
And while we're at it trade Rowand to Houston for Berkman and Clemens!
Would they do that too? lol

harwar
07-07-2004, 01:09 PM
It looks like just as the door has been slammed on contract talks by Magglio, Kenny Williams is trying to knock it back in. I just heard on the ESPN Radio Sportscenter Update that Kenny Williams has a new contract package in store for Magglio.For a guy who likes to fly under the radar on most player moves,its strange that KW is using the media as much as he is.
Hes' either trying to cover his ass because he knows Maggs is leaving or hes' getting desperate to sign him.:?:

Soxzilla
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
And while we're at it trade Rowand to Houston for Berkman and Clemens!
Oh now let's get serious. They'd at least have to throw in bagwell. Pfft.:bandance:

soxtalker
07-07-2004, 01:33 PM
For a guy who likes to fly under the radar on most player moves,its strange that KW is using the media as much as he is.
Hes' either trying to cover his ass because he knows Maggs is leaving or hes' getting desperate to sign him.:?:
Now that you mention it, it is strange. Both Maggs and KW are probably being asked about the contract talks any time they encounter the media (which probably happens more than once each day for each of them). This is probably unusual for Maggs, but KW is a pro at deflecting these sorts of questions by now. And KW always likes to "fly under the radar". I don't think that he sees any upside for getting a deal done in bringing the media into a negotiation.

Flight #24
07-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Now that you mention it, it is strange. Both Maggs and KW are probably being asked about the contract talks any time they encounter the media (which probably happens more than once each day for each of them). This is probably unusual for Maggs, but KW is a pro at deflecting these sorts of questions by now. And KW always likes to "fly under the radar". I don't think that he sees any upside for getting a deal done in bringing the media into a negotiation.
IMO, there's 2 things going on here. 1) The "sources" are likely not KW (although I haven't heard the WSCR report, so I don't know if they quoted him or the standard "insiders"). 2) Sox management is doing what they can to make sure that if the don't/can't resign Maggs, fans at least believe that they made a fair attempt. (NOTE: I'm not saying whether they are making a fair attempt or not, but regardless, it's in their best interest to have the fans believe they are.)

Iguana775
07-07-2004, 01:53 PM
I'd ship him to Houston for Oswalt and Beltran!
Kendell for Ben Davis and Mike Jackson, also!

Dadawg_77
07-07-2004, 01:57 PM
For a guy who likes to fly under the radar on most player moves,its strange that KW is using the media as much as he is.
Hes' either trying to cover his ass because he knows Maggs is leaving......:?:
Exactly.

joeynach
07-07-2004, 01:57 PM
It looks like just as the door has been slammed on contract talks by Magglio, Kenny Williams is trying to knock it back in. I just heard on the ESPN Radio Sportscenter Update that Kenny Williams has a new contract package in store for Magglio.
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Its just KW trying to appear like its not over yet to the media when it probably is. He knows how to use the media to his benefit. I dont beleive they will be talking for the rest of the season. Honestly i think Maggs has priced himself out of the Sox market. 5 year 60 mil is a great deal for a guy like maggs and thats the reward he deserves. The 5th year being deffered is a moot point becuase maggs demanded the 5th year and got it. His asking of 14 mil per for the next 5 years will price him only into Boston, NY, LA market. Where there im sure he will encounter deffered money and backloaded deals as well. But he will get his extra 2 mil thats is sooooooooo important.

Randar68
07-07-2004, 01:59 PM
What contract discussions has Kenny had that were so covert in the past? Frank? They were open about their willingness with Garcia from day one, and there has been constant chatter on the Maggs front.

Kenny is very tight-lipped about trades, but there are obvious reasons for that which do not apply to contract negotiations with current players under contract...

soxtalker
07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
...2) Sox management is doing what they can to make sure that if the don't/can't resign Maggs, fans at least believe that they made a fair attempt. (NOTE: I'm not saying whether they are making a fair attempt or not, but regardless, it's in their best interest to have the fans believe they are.)
And if I'm Maggs agent, I try to play this to my advantage, too. Dropping a hint that talks have stalled or even completely broken off puts pressure on the Sox. Not saying either side is good or bad. Just all sorts of interesting and subtle games that can be played.

soxtalker
07-07-2004, 02:11 PM
What contract discussions has Kenny had that were so covert in the past? Frank? They were open about their willingness with Garcia from day one, and there has been constant chatter on the Maggs front.

Kenny is very tight-lipped about trades, but there are obvious reasons for that which do not apply to contract negotiations with current players under contract...
Perhaps I wasn't following things close enough at the time, but I seem to recall being quite surprised as to the details of Frank's new contract. I do recall discussion of whether they'd invoke the diminished-skills clause, but not suggestions of a new contract. Buerhle's new deal was also a surprise, IIRC.

I think that KW is tight-lipped about contract negotiations, as well as trades. With trades, the people on the other end, other GM's, can often be counted on to keep discussions quiet, as it is in their best interest to do so. (Note, however, that we often get information from other organizations -- e.g., Boston through Otis.) With contract negotiations, the players and agents are often the source of our info.

Kadafi311
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Hes' either trying to cover his ass because he knows Maggs is leaving or hes' getting desperate to sign him.:?:If KW is using the media to constantly bring up the Ordonez contract talks... this does not bode well for Maggs being in a Sox uniform next year.

By going through the media and saying they are presenting all of these deals to Ordonez, they are turning the blame on him. So, if he doesn't come back next year, they can say "Well, we tried our hardest, Maggs just wanted too much money".

Henceforth making the fans believe it wasn't the Sox who didn't want Maggs, but Maggs who didn't want the Sox.

The good ole fashioned C.Y.A!

jabrch
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
By going through the media and saying they are presenting all of these deals to Ordonez, they are turning the blame on him. So, if he doesn't come back next year, they can say "Well, we tried our hardest, Maggs just wanted too much money".

Henceforth making the fans believe it wasn't the Sox who didn't want Maggs, but Maggs who didn't want the Sox.

The good ole fashioned C.Y.A!
Except that in this case - that appears to be exactly the truth.

JoseCanseco6969
07-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Kendell for Ben Davis and Mike Jackson, also!
Mike Jackson and Neal Cotts for a pile of dog $h!t would be a steal for us!

Kadafi311
07-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Except that in this case - that appears to be exactly the truth.
That may well be.