PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Harris/Gload/Perez Platoon

joeynach
07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Will Ozzie still stop platooning guys who cant hit. Im sorry but Oz if halfway through the season these guys haven't proved they can hit on a consistent basis then thats it. They must be bench players or replacement, not starters. Im sick of the platoon in center, 2nd, and right. I was at the game last night and these guys just dont have it. They swing at bad pitches and love to strikeout against good pitching. I know when Maggs gets back the RF platoon ends but OZ really needs to pick an everyday center fielder and 2B and have the rest replacememts. I dont know who probably Uribe and Rowand. We should see gload/harris/perez only filling in until Maggs is back or either off the bench, never Starting. Honestly we need someone else in here. Uribe is not looking like the answer at 2B, neither is willie. I dont know about center, can rowand and perez get the job done everyday?? I dont think so, we need some help.

pearso66
07-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I cant wait until Gload becomes the next Leifer and demands to start. And people around here back him up on it

Jerko
07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
I hate the Gload/Harris/Perez platoon too, but having them ALL in the same lineup, like last night, is even worse!!!!!!!!! Any TWO of those guys should never be in the same lineup together.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Until Maggs' return, Rowand and Perez should be the outfielders. They have been the best two out there offensively and defensively. That is unless KW would like to give Borchard a shot for a while - which should have been done a month ago.

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 10:48 AM
If we don't have one of those three in there than who would steal bases?

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
That is unless KW would like to give Borchard a shot for a while - which should have been done a month ago.
I also question Carrying 3 catchers, is this team that good to where it can afforad the luxury of doing that? But then again we need to get All world Catcher Ben Davis and Future Hall of Famer Jamie Burke at bats in the Majors Right?

joeynach
07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I also question Carrying 3 catchers, is this team that good to where it can afforad the luxury of doing that? But then again we need to get All world Catcher Ben Davis and Future Hall of Famer Jamie Burke at bats in the Majors Right?
We dont need to get anyone any at bats, we need to win. If you want to get you guys at bats then send them to AAA where they can start, or let them pinch hit in the 8th and 9th when we are up by 5. For gods sake davis/perez/gload/harris should not be 4 of our starters, ever.

Dice
07-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Was at the game last night and I agree: Gload needs to sit back on the bench.

He swung at a pitch that was as high as the Sears Tower.

I think Rowand should be the permanent center fielder and Uribe the regular second baseman. Rowand reminds me of a young Mike Cameron when he was here with the White Sox. Yes, Cameron struggled when he was here but eventually blossomed into a solid center fielder when he went to the Reds and Mariners. Rowand is going through the same process and the organization needs to stick with him. He's going to be a solid center fielder(and maybe an all-star) within the next year.

I know we got Konerko out of the deal when we traded Cameron but I still remember I had told fellow White Sox fans that Cameron was going to blossom into a very solid player. And he did, but so has Konerko.

As far as Willie, I like the kid but he's starting to come back to Earth. Willie would be move valuable to us coming off the bench because it's always good to have speed on the bench.

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 10:59 AM
... it's always good to have speed on the bench.
Mr. Strawberry Your Car's waiting!

DaveIsHere
07-07-2004, 11:00 AM
After you are through half the season there is no reason to be playing guys for at-bats, we need to put the best lineup out there everyday, of the bench players I feel Rowand has the best bat and fielding capabilities, Gload looks like crap in the field and bating, if you just glanced you would think that that was Pauly running around in RF, that is how slow Gload is,

joeynach
07-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Mr. Strawberry Your Car's waiting!
He didn't say coke!

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
He didn't say coke!Speed, Coke it all goes in the same way

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I cant wait until Gload becomes the next Leifer and demands to start. And people around here back him up on it
The second sentence should not have been in teal. Believe it or not, there were people around here who thought that either Frank or Carlos should be moved in order to make room for Leifer.

mdep524
07-07-2004, 11:15 AM
I really don't mind a Timo-Rowand platoon in the outfield. Rowand murders left handed pitching, Timo is great vs. righties. Overall, Timo is the closest thing this team currently has to an intelligent batsmen/gamer. Everyone else is purely a homerun hitter without the slightest back up plan for getting on base or scoring runs against good pitching. <crosses fingers for Jason Kendall> Timo has really impressed me lately, and IMO deserves to play everyday, at least until Maggs comes back.

I agree that Willie is pure crap out there right now. He needs to go to AAA, period. He has no use for this team right now. He can't hit, and he has no confidence on the bases so he can't steal.

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Speed, Coke it all goes in the same way
Send some to you favorite person if you like!

http://www.virtualcrack.com/

Jerko
07-07-2004, 11:17 AM
I really don't mind a Timo-Rowand platoon in the outfield. Rowand murders left handed pitching, Timo is great vs. righties. Overall, Timo is the closest thing this team currently has to an intelligent batsmen/gamer. Everyone else is purely a homerun hitter without the slightest back up plan for getting on base or scoring runs against good pitching. <crosses fingers for Jason Kendall> Timo has really impressed me lately, and IMO deserves to play everyday, at least until Maggs comes back.

I agree that Willie is pure crap out there right now. He needs to go to AAA, period. He has no use for this team right now. He can't hit, and he has no confidence on the bases so he can't steal.
I agree with Timo/Rowand platoon WHEN Maggs gets back. Until then, Rowand should play center, Timo right, IMO. Gload and Harris are just gonna have to ride the pine.

gosox41
07-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Will Ozzie still stop platooning guys who cant hit. Im sorry but Oz if halfway through the season these guys haven't proved they can hit on a consistent basis then thats it. They must be bench players or replacement, not starters. Im sick of the platoon in center, 2nd, and right. I was at the game last night and these guys just dont have it. They swing at bad pitches and love to strikeout against good pitching. I know when Maggs gets back the RF platoon ends but OZ really needs to pick an everyday center fielder and 2B and have the rest replacememts. I dont know who probably Uribe and Rowand. We should see gload/harris/perez only filling in until Maggs is back or either off the bench, never Starting. Honestly we need someone else in here. Uribe is not looking like the answer at 2B, neither is willie. I dont know about center, can rowand and perez get the job done everyday?? I dont think so, we need some help.

But it's imprtant to carry 3 catchers...just in case.

I've disagreed with this move from the beginning and was ripped on for it. Obviously Ozzie knows so much more then anyone else that he's willing to put below average hitters to replace an All Star instead of calling up one of the 2 stud OF prospects we hat a month ago. I guess that should be in teal.

Bob

mcfish
07-07-2004, 11:27 AM
But it's imprtant to carry 3 catchers...just in case.

I've disagreed with this move from the beginning and was ripped on for it. Obviously Ozzie knows so much more then anyone else that he's willing to put below average hitters to replace an All Star instead of calling up one of the 2 stud OF prospects we hat a month ago. I guess that should be in teal.

Bob
I thought that we called up Dransfeldt to replace Maggs. Then sent him down for Darensburg. Then sent him down for Garcia.

Whatever happened, I was definitely of the opinion a month ago that we should use the injury to give one of the up and coming outfielders a shot. When would you have a better chance to do it, right? Of course, at the time we only thought Maggs would be out a few games too, so maybe that's why they decided against it.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Send some to you favorite person if you like!

http://www.virtualcrack.com/
That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 11:36 AM
On a more serious note, the problems the Sox are having right now are the direct result of Reinsdorf's penny-pinching and money-hoarding. If JR had actually spent money during the off-season, the Sox might have been able to find a starting center fielder or a left-handed power hitter. As it stands, they have bench-players starting in center, right, second base, and catcher. I'd even go so far as to say that Joe Crede has performed more like a bench player this season, so third base can be included, as well.

That leaves the Sox with exactly four offensive and defensive positions where they have players who would be starters on other good teams (1B, DH, LF, SS, P). The pitching staff has only three or four guys who would be starters elsewhere. Shoeneweis couldn't even break the Angels' starting rotation.

The outfield platoon is killing the Sox. This constant tinkering by Guillen isn't helping, either. I wish he would just stick with a set lineup and let things play themselves out for a few days. Where have I heard that before?

The Sox need to add another dependable bat to their lineup, preferably a left-handed hitter who is willing to take a walk. Frank Thomas is the only hitter on the team who has any knowledge of the strike zone. Everyone else goes up there trying to play Home Run Derby. Even Frank does this on occasion, yet another thing that needs to change.

Joe Crede is the one most guilty of swinging for the fences. As someone mentioned to me earlier, his swing looks exactly the same no matter what pitch is thrown or where it's located. Other players have slight differences in their swings in order to go after different pitches. Why can't Crede make this adjustment?

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
The Sox bench isn't as good as some fans thought it was. There is a reason these guys have been traded, waived etc for most of their career's and that's because they are journeyman at best.

They can and have done a nice job in a limited role but that's all they are capable of doing. They have been called upon to play a lot more then usual because of Ordonez's injury and simply can't handle it.

More and more, this club looks like home run or nothing, even more then last season because they now don't even have a leadoff hitter.

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
The Sox bench isn't as good as some fans thought it was. There is a reason these guys have been traded, waived etc for most of their career's and that's because they are journeyman at best.

They can and have done a nice job in a limited role but that's all they are capable of doing. They have been called upon to play a lot more then usual because of Ordonez's injury and simply can't handle it.

More and more, this club looks like home run or nothing, even more then last season because they now don't even have a leadoff hitter.

Lip
Well, as I said in my previous post, this is the result of JR's refusal to accquire good players to replace what he lost after 2003 (Alomar, Everett). The Sox have scrubs playing at some of their most important positions. Two-thirds of the outfield is being manned by guys who may not even be in the league next season. The same is true of the catching position. Maybe Ben Davis should try bunting during each of his at-bats. It worked when he tried to break up Schilling's no-hitter back in 2001.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Well, as I said in my previous post, this is the result of JR's refusal to accquire good players to replace what he lost after 2003 (Alomar, Everett). The Sox have scrubs playing at some of their most important positions. Two-thirds of the outfield is being manned by guys who may not even be in the league next season. The same is true of the catching position. Maybe Ben Davis should try bunting during each of his at-bats. It worked when he tried to break up Schilling's no-hitter back in 2001.
I know it was a joke, but PLEASE, no more bunting by the White Sox unless it's an important sacrafice situation. How many bunt singles can you remember this year? Now, how many attempts? Now, how many attempts can you remember they missed twice and had to start swinging with 2 strikes? How many bunt pop-outs? We aren't good at bunting. Practice or just accept it. I don't care which, but please stop the wasting of perfectly good AB's.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
I know it was a joke, but PLEASE, no more bunting by the White Sox unless it's an important sacrafice situation. How many bunt singles can you remember this year? Now, how many attempts? Now, how many attempts can you remember they missed twice and had to start swinging with 2 strikes? How many bunt pop-outs? We aren't good at bunting. Practice or just accept it. I don't care which, but please stop the wasting of perfectly good AB's.
:hawk

"But we have to play Ozzieball. It's an attitude!"

34 Inch Stick
07-07-2004, 12:23 PM
If I never see Ross Gload in the outfield again I will be a happy man. He is slow, he has bad hands, bad judgement and I don't see a lot of hustle out of him. I like him off the bench. He seems to be a decent pinch hitter and he could be used very occasionally as 1B or DH.

Timo has proven himself to be a good platoon player.

While I am definitely not an FOC, as the club is set up today (no Maggs) he should be starting every day.

Uribe and Willie should platoon at 2nd until one of them decides to return to April/May.

mdep524
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Lip
Disagree here Lip, I think the Sox' bench is pretty good. Rowand, Gload, Perez are a good bench outfield. It's the STARTERS that are the problem.

Here's a thought: when Shannon Stewart was injured in April, did the Twins go to a revolving door bench player replacement for left field? No, they called up ONE guy, Lew Ford, to do the job. And he's been great. When Maggs went down, maybe the Sox should have just called up one guy, Joe Borchard, to start everyday in right field. This would also apply to the 5th starter problem before Freddy came on board.