PDA

View Full Version : The Willie Harris Era

LuvSox
07-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Enough of Willie Harris already. Last night Hawk tells us that Willie isn't confident enough in his base stealing abilities to try and swipe second when the team needs a runner in scoring postion. What? Not confident enough to do your job? Please, isn't there someone in the minors with some aggressiveness? Someone that wants to help the team and make a name for themselves. Oh, yeah. He hits like **** too.

gosox41
07-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Enough of Willie Harris already. Last night Hawk tells us that Willie isn't confident enough in his base stealing abilities to try and swipe second when the team needs a runner in scoring postion. What? Not confident enough to do your job? Please, isn't there someone in the minors with some aggressiveness? Someone that wants to help the team and make a name for themselves. Oh, yeah. He hits like **** too.
I was going to post something similar in regards to Hawks' comments about Williw. What is he so afraid of? He's faster then 95% of the league. Attempt a steal if the situation calls for it.

Bob

kjhanson
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
I was absolutely livid he did not attempt to steal last nite off of Rodriguez. You have a pitcher with a high leg kick who's not used to holding on guys. Granted, we did not get a hit, but had Willie stolen second, it would have taken just one base hit rather than two to score him. Closing the gap to one heading into the 9th would have been huge. Obviously this is all hypothetical because we were only able to string together a couple walks. Nonetheless, a moderately adequate second baseman with 13 RBI, no home runs and as few extra base hits as Willie has is purely a stopgap in the lineup. He needs to start dragging some bunts, putting the ball in play on the ground and getting himself into scoring position.

Iguana775
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Willie is sucking balls right now and something needs to be done. 4 for the last 40+??!! ***?

mcfish
07-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I was absolutely livid he did not attempt to steal last nite off of Rodriguez. You have a pitcher with a high leg kick who's not used to holding on guys. Granted, we did not get a hit, but had Willie stolen second, it would have taken just one base hit rather than two to score him. Closing the gap to one heading into the 9th would have been huge. Obviously this is all hypothetical because we were only able to string together a couple walks. Nonetheless, a moderately adequate second baseman with 13 RBI, no home runs and as few extra base hits as Willie has is purely a stopgap in the lineup. He needs to start dragging some bunts, putting the ball in play on the ground and getting himself into scoring position.
I was at the game and missed this interesting tidbit. If Willie, 9 out of 11 this year attempting to steal bases, isn't confident in his baserunning abilities, then there is no use for him on the team, not even as a pinch runner.

He actually managed to get on 2 out of 4 times, a BB and a dropped 3rd, and didn't even take a big lead, let alone steal a base. He ran on the obligatory 3-2 2 out count, but never before or after. Timo is a bigger threat on the basepaths than Willie right now.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I was going to post something similar in regards to Hawks' comments about Williw. What is he so afraid of? He's faster then 95% of the league. Attempt a steal if the situation calls for it.

Bob
Is it possible that his confidence is lacking because of lack of confidence in the coaching, or is it just himself? I only ask because Joey Cora made a huge mistake last night sending Paulie from 2nd to home on a single right to the left fielder. The slowest man in baseball was gone by a mile. The catcher had time to smoke a cigarrette before he tagged Paulie to end the inning and the momentum.

JRIG
07-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Willie is sucking balls right now and something needs to be done. 4 for the last 40+??!! ***?
That would be 4 for his last 43, not that anyone is counting. And 2 extra base hits since May 11th, a span of 128 at bats.

akingamongstmen
07-07-2004, 10:12 AM
That would be 4 for his last 43, not that anyone is counting. And 2 extra base hits since May 11th, a span of 128 at bats.
Wow...I knew it was bad, but geez. I'm a fan of Willie, but that's just not gonna work.

WWIII
07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Willie still needs a lot of work.

Hawk was talking about his swing, and how there is something wrong woth it right now. But I feel like he fooled us with a hot streak for about a month, and since then, he has come back to earth, and is showing his true abilities. I have no problem with Uribe as the starting 2B, even though he has come back to earth recently as well, and neither should Ozzie.

Whatever is done, it is a fact that we need someone who can get on base in the front of our lineup. Our #1 and #2 are not getting the job done lately, and that is what is killing us.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Anyone have any idea how we could get a split on Willie's stats in AB's where he uses at least 1 pitch attempting to bunt or faking bunt vs. AB's where he shows no sign of bunt? I know the sample size of no fake bunt AB's would be very small, but I would guess that he is better off that way.

Also, is there any way to find out his success rate in trying for bunt singles? Does it ever work? He's fast, but the 3rd baseman usualy plays in so close that Carl Lewis couldn't beat out a bunt to the left side of the infield.

kittle42
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Just play Uribe, though that again gives us no true leadoff man...though with Willie's stats, he shouldn't lead off anything.

Wealz
07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Anyone still holding out hope that Harris can be, at the very least, even a servicable player is delusional.

bobj4400
07-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Is it possible that his confidence is lacking because of lack of confidence in the coaching, or is it just himself? I only ask because Joey Cora made a huge mistake last night sending Paulie from 2nd to home on a single right to the left fielder. The slowest man in baseball was gone by a mile. The catcher had time to smoke a cigarrette before he tagged Paulie to end the inning and the momentum.
I dont blame Cora for getting Paulie thrown out (although as soon as Guillen fielded the ball cleaning, I knew he was dead)...this is b/c the great Ben Davis was on deck with two outs. I would rather put my faith in Paulie's blinding speed than Davis' .083 batting average....and remember death is not an option!!

bigdommer
07-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I had a guy in my team in college like Willie. Slap hitter, good OBP, and great speed and a good base stealer. But the guy was always afraid of getting thrown out. We couldn't stand the guy. He would get on base, and we would take pitch after pitch to give him the opportunity to steal. Our coach was a very agressive guy and kept telling him to steal. Our team was 2nd in the NCAA in steals, so it wasn't a coaching issue. I feel like Willie is waiting for that perfect pitch at the perfect moment. But he doesn't realize two things: 1)without his ability to steal bases, he is useless in the lineup and 2) the guys behind him are taking good pitches to hit so that he can steal.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 12:43 PM
This is simply the Willie Harris we all know and love.

As far as Konerko, perhaps the decision may have also had something to do with the thought that the outfield and ball were wet and that it would take a perfect throw to get him under those conditions.

I was surprised considering if you run on any of the Angel outfielders you do so at your own peril.

Plus the way this team has suddenly stopped scoring runs, a second run early would have been big. I think it was worth a shot at the time.

Lip

mantis1212
07-07-2004, 12:44 PM
I dont blame Cora for getting Paulie thrown out (although as soon as Guillen fielded the ball cleaning, I knew he was dead)...this is b/c the great Ben Davis was on deck with two outs. I would rather put my faith in Paulie's blinding speed than Davis' .083 batting average....and remember death is not an option!!
I agree with that, I don't think it was a bad move. Paulie wasn't out by that much, and like you said, I didn't have too much faith in Davis driving him in.

hawkjt
07-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Paulie was out by an eyelash. Farmer said immediatley that he thought he was safe. He repeated it several times during the game. It was a bang-bang play. Got no problem as we need to gamble with the way we are hitting.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
I agree with that, I don't think it was a bad move. Paulie wasn't out by that much, and like you said, I didn't have too much faith in Davis driving him in.
I don't know about the application of the tag and how far out PK tried to slide as I was sitting in right, but I do know that a) the ball was thrown right around when PK passed where Joey Cora was standing and b) the ball was in the catcher's glove before PK even started to slide. Davis was next, but sending Paulie to get a sure out just because the next hitter sucks is not a good reason. Ball was hit right to Guillen, Paulie is horrendously slow, and the entire Angels outfield is made up of great arms - and Cora knows that.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 01:17 PM
This is simply the Willie Harris we all know and love.

As far as Konerko, perhaps the decision may have also had something to do with the thought that the outfield and ball were wet and that it would take a perfect throw to get him under those conditions.

I was surprised considering if you run on any of the Angel outfielders you do so at your own peril.

Plus the way this team has suddenly stopped scoring runs, a second run early would have been big. I think it was worth a shot at the time.

Lip
Even Anderson? Lofton probably has a stronger arm.

Anyway, sending Pauly was the right move. He wasn't out by a mile. :rolleyes:

mcfish
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Even Anderson? Lofton probably has a stronger arm.

Anyway, sending Pauly was the right move. He wasn't out by a mile. :rolleyes:
Again, I was in right, and therefore far away, so I admit the play could have been closer than it looked to me. But Cora knows that Guillen has a very strong, accurate arm. And he knows that PK is very slow. good arm + slow PK = out #3. I called it when I saw Paulie make the turn.

Gumshoe
07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Of course it was the right move. 2 outs, Cora knows that he'll be running on contact, and it was close and he might have been safe, and he knows who is up next. Cora has been solid ALL YEAR. I don't think anyone can criticize him in anyway.

Remember, Bruce Kimm, Wallace Johnson? Ha!

Cora knows what he's doing.

G

batmanZoSo
07-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Wow...I knew it was bad, but geez. I'm a fan of Willie, but that's just not gonna work.
I don't think he's gonna work in the long run. He has no power at all, we need a double every now and then at least. I think he just doesn't have what it takes--if he's hitting doubles and homers, he's batting .200, if he's hitting .280 it's all slap singles and bunts. He's not good enough to do both. As he is now, for a guy with no homers and not a great average, he's not stealing nearly enough bases, nor is his defense special. If he can steal 30+ and hit .280 we can keep him, but this Willie is no good I'm afraid.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't think he's gonna work in the long run. He has no power at all, we need a double every now and then at least. I think he just doesn't have what it takes--if he's hitting doubles and homers, he's batting .200, if he's hitting .280 it's all slap singles and bunts. He's not good enough to do both. As he is now, for a guy with no homers and not a great average, he's not stealing nearly enough bases, nor is his defense special. If he can steal 30+ and hit .280 we can keep him, but this Willie is no good I'm afraid.
I don't think he'll work out either, but I wouldn't mind nothing but singles as long as he figured out how to run the 90 feet to second base. Turns those singles into doubles real quick. Unfortunately, he's only attempted 11 stolen bases this year - that's rediculous. If he gets on, especially early in the game, he should be going. Timo is more of a baserunning threat than Willie right now.

maurice
07-07-2004, 01:44 PM
When Willie gets into a funk, he pulls the ball on the ground to the right side, completely negating his speed and allowing the opposing team to play their 3B extremely shallow to defend against the bunt. That's what's happened recently.

Willie needs to start hitting the ball the other way. I have confidence that Greg Walker is the right guy to get him back on track.

owensmouth
07-07-2004, 05:35 PM

Bob
Molina is a pretty good catcher with a powerful arm. His biggest drawback is that he'd lose a race with Konerko.