PDA

View Full Version : Cotts

hold2dibber
07-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Cotts has been really bad for more than a month. Wunsch is a proven, reliable left handed arm in the pen. Does anyone out there think that at this point in time, Cotts is a better major league pitcher than Wunsch? Last year, Wunsch had a 2.75 ERA, a 1.17 WHIP and a BAA of .139 (!). The year before that, he was 3.41, 1.42 and .230. Cotts so far this year is 5.97, 1.50 and .252. I still think Cotts has a lot of long term potential. I just don't think that he's the right guy for right now, when the Sox are fighting for a playoff berth.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Cotts has been really bad for more than a month. Wunsch is a proven, reliable left handed arm in the pen. Does anyone out there think that at this point in time, Cotts is a better major league pitcher than Wunsch? Last year, Wunsch had a 2.75 ERA, a 1.17 WHIP and a BAA of .139 (!). The year before that, he was 3.41, 1.42 and .230. Cotts so far this year is 5.97, 1.50 and .252. I still think Cotts has a lot of long term potential. I just don't think that he's the right guy for right now, when the Sox are fighting for a playoff berth.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would have had Wunsch up in Chicago the moment he was ready - he has done nothing but succeed for the White Sox. Even if his production did drop off, he should be given at least the chance to succeed or fail in Chicago rather than Charlotte. Cotts wasn't so good after the first month that we should have turned away a proven MLB reliever, and he has been a big old downhill rollercoaster since then. Send him somewhere to learn to throw a 3rd pitch, because he has been awful lately.

The Cheat
07-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Wunch is on the DL in Charlotte. You can't throw if you don't have an arm.

34 Inch Stick
07-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Kelly will never play in a White Sox uniform again. I have no idea what happened because I thought he was generally considered a great guy.

kjhanson
07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, I say we don't necessarily call up a left-handed arm. Sure, we'd only be left with one (Damaso), but the way Neal has been pitching to everyone, I'm sure we couldn't do any worse. He's not getting left-handers out, he's walking too many people and somehow manages to throw 8 pitches each at-bat whether a weak groundball is hit or he strikes somebody out. We need another power arm who can strike somebody out with men on base. (a la Cliff Politte last nite in the ninth) Neal just has problems putting people away. There were about 15 foul balls hit off him with two strikes when he faced Erstad, Molina and Kennedy.

Of course rather than calling a power arm up, we could always trade for one...

SoxFan76
07-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Kelly will never play in a White Sox uniform again. I have no idea what happened because I thought he was generally considered a great guy.
Well for Christ's sake, trade him then. I love Kelly, he is a great arm out of the pen. But are the Sox going to let the man rot in Charlotte while many other teams could really use a reliable left hander out of the pen? Cotts, Diaz, Rauch, Munoz, they are all going to be great someday. But that day isn't today, or tomorrow, or anytime this season. The Sox minds are still in rebuidling mode, thinking about the future. Screw the future, send down Cotts. Send down Willie. It's time to win, not see how the prospects might be able to play in 1 or 2 years.

Randar68
07-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Well for Christ's sake, trade him then. I love Kelly, he is a great arm out of the pen. But are the Sox going to let the man rot in Charlotte while many other teams could really use a reliable left hander out of the pen? Cotts, Diaz, Rauch, Munoz, they are all going to be great someday. But that day isn't today, or tomorrow, or anytime this season. The Sox minds are still in rebuidling mode, thinking about the future. Screw the future, send down Cotts. Send down Willie. It's time to win, not see how the prospects might be able to play in 1 or 2 years.
YOU CAN NOT TRADE A PLAYER ON THE DL.

Jesus F'in Christ. FOK'ers settle down!

34 Inch Stick
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Never!

eurotrash35
07-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Kelly already cleared waivers so if there was a team that was interested he would already be gone. I don't think any teams would be willing to trade for him now.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
The Kelly Wunsch Saga has been going on for months. Does anyone know what happened with him? The Sox organization has washed their hands of him. A number of people think that he is one whom Williams criticized at the end of Spring Training. I think Steff provided evidence that KW wasn't talking about Wunsch, but it does seem that somebody in the Sox front-office wants Kelly to spend the rest of his career rotting in Triple-A.

TheBull
07-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Could Kellyís being the teamís (or former) player union rep have something to do with what some perceive to be his step child treatment by Williams? I thought I saw quotes by Kelly shortly after accepting the role that he knew it was potentially treacherous because of what happened to Sox union reps in the past. I cannot remember the specifics of his quote or reference to previous reps, but it struck me at the time that one might want to avoid being the teamís rep.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2004, 01:09 PM
I would have rather had Cotts taking the ball every 5th day in AAA. He's got the size/stuff/velocity/motion to be a solid ML starter. He needs more seasoning and more work throwing his breaking stuff for strikes. Getting used in the pen isn't helping him develop.

Randar68
07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Could Kellyís being the teamís (or former) player union rep have something to do with what some perceive to be his step child treatment by Williams? I thought I saw quotes by Kelly shortly after accepting the role that he knew it was potentially treacherous because of what happened to Sox union reps in the past. I cannot remember the specifics of his quote or reference to previous reps, but it struck me at the time that one might want to avoid being the teamís rep.

no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no no no

Sheeeesh. He lost velocity and his arm is falling off, why the conspiracy? He's a great guy and pitched well for us, but enough already.

Gumshoe
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
That Foulke trade is looking better by the minute. Let's wait anotehr 2 years to see if it wasn't that bad, ok, guys? Come on, give it a chance!

Seriously, I'm not a Cotts basher, but let's get real on this board.

G