PDA

View Full Version : Ben Davis question

soxtalker
07-07-2004, 07:10 AM
This is NOT intended to be a Ben Davis bashing thread. Let me say from the start that I was very much against the deal, because I hated to lose Olivo and Reed. Having said that, I'd like to give Davis a chance. As I've stated a couple of times in other threads, I have a suspicion that KW and the scouts may see more promise in him than his play over the past couple of years would indicate. I know he didn't get any hits yesterday, but, then again, the team as whole didn't do too well. And he has had very few batting opportunities this year (somewhere in the 30's with half the season gone).

I only heard an inning or two. How did Davis fare in (a) calling the game and (b) defense (e.g., throwing)?

kjhanson
07-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Davis' defense is adequate. He blocked a couple balls in the dirt, was framing pitches well and had the guys on the mound under control. He was always hyped as being a great offensive player though. He's tall and long, not to mention a switch-hitting catcher. I've always liked him since he was drafted, but has never been given the opportunity to shine. Obviously, we can't wait around and let someone find their stroke while we're trying to chase a division crown, but Davis could be a a key player during these dog days of summer.

WWIII
07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
I was wondering if this guy might be a hidden gem, as well. I understand that he was hyped up when he was drafted but never really lived up to it. But it seems like he never really had an opportunity in Seattle. I think it was the Padres who brought him up, but sometimes a change of scenery, especially to a contending team, can bring the best out in people.

lowesox
07-07-2004, 10:50 AM
I agree. He's we traded for him, so he deserves a chance to prove himself to management. I'd like to see him play a few games in a row to see if that gets him going.

He's supposed to have all the talent so with a little luck, he could become the steal in this trade.

Dice
07-07-2004, 11:01 AM
I was wondering if this guy might be a hidden gem, as well. I understand that he was hyped up when he was drafted but never really lived up to it. But it seems like he never really had an opportunity in Seattle. I think it was the Padres who brought him up, but sometimes a change of scenery, especially to a contending team, can bring the best out in people.
He had an opportunity with the Padres and sucked. He had a second chance with the Mariners and sucked. So I'm assuming that he's going to suck with the White Sox.

Burke and Alomar should be the catchers on the rosters, period!

TheBull
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Iíd love to see Ben Davis turn it around and finally realize his potential with the Sox, but I donít think it is going to happen. Drafted by the Padres, he was supposed to be a stud defensive catcher who could hit. Though he showed some very brief offensive flashes with the Padres and Mariners, he never displayed the shot gun arm he was supposed to have and was only adequate behind the plate.

phdave
07-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I can't answer your questions, but I can only add that Davis and I went to the same high school, so I have always rooted for him to do well. I hope he finally finds his niche and becomes a regular starter for the Sox.

Daver
07-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Ben Davis is an above average defensive catcher, his arm was not what it was once thought to be, but adequate. He needs occasional help in game calling, and could learn more about positioning the infield, but that comes with experience. His biggest problem is the fact that he can't hit a breaking ball, if Greg Walker can help him with that, and that is a big if, since I don't have a lot of confidence in Walker helping players out to that extent, he could be a better than average catcher with some pop.

SomebodyToldMe
07-07-2004, 09:06 PM
i'm still mad at him for breaking up schilling's perfect game with a bunt.

a bunt!