PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 7/7

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 02:09 AM
"This ballclub is streaky."-- Ozzie Guillen to Bob Foltman of the Tribune.

And there in lies the problem...

Lip

LASOXFAN
07-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Hard to imagine them playing any worse...and they're only 1.5 back. Good time for a slump, you ask me. Rather have it now then later. And all this with their best guy on the DL.

Mags will be back, Frank will get right and then it's going to be a very fun summer. As long as there are more good streaks then bad, all will be fine.

If I were a Twins fan I'd be concerned. Then again, I'd also be a complete and utter loser.

OEO Magglio
07-07-2004, 03:28 AM

LipThe rollercoaster ride that is the Chicago White Sox. Two weeks ago they're playing awful, last week all the sudden they're playing great and now back to awful. So I guess they're due for another good week, atleast I hope.:smile:

Dan H
07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
When you live and die by your hitting, you will be streaky. But I would like to see some consistency. It does little good to sweep the Twins and then get swept by the Cubs. The Sox are only five over .500 right now and that is only average. It is time to step it some. They need to win some low scoring games like the last one in Minnesota, or they will have a hard time winning the division.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Hard to imagine them playing any worse...and they're only 1.5 back. Good time for a slump, you ask me. Rather have it now then later. And all this with their best guy on the DL.

Mags will be back, Frank will get right and then it's going to be a very fun summer. As long as there are more good streaks then bad, all will be fine.

If I were a Twins fan I'd be concerned. Then again, I'd also be a complete and utter loser.
What would make you the most concerned as a Twins fan? The fact that your injury riddled team is up 1.5 games in first place, or the fact that every year for the last 3 your team has managed to win the division even though Chicago had a better team on paper?

kittle42
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I'd love to see if Manual said the same thing in the 2000 playoffs. Thanks for taking care of this problem, too, Sox management.

Skorch
07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
What would make you the most concerned as a Twins fan? The fact that your injury riddled team is up 1.5 games in first place, or the fact that every year for the last 3 your team has managed to win the division even though Chicago had a better team on paper?
Actually, the Twins are mostly healthy now, we're only missing Shannon Stewart who's just recently started running. He could be back shortly after the all-star break.

Also, Minnesota's only won the division the past 2 years. The previous year was Cleveland.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Actually, the Twins are mostly healthy now, we're only missing Shannon Stewart who's just recently started running. He could be back shortly after the all-star break.

Also, Minnesota's only won the division the past 2 years. The previous year was Cleveland.Sorry about mistaking 2001's division winner, but my statement about the injury riddled Twins still stands. They may be healthy sans Stewart now, but that was not the case most of the year, and they still played tremendous baseball. I have confidence that the Sox can and will pull it off this year, but I would be just as confident as ever if I were a Twin fan too. It's anyone's division right now, and the White Sox will have to win it, because the Twins certainly aren't going to go away.

Skorch
07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Sorry about mistaking 2001's division winner, but my statement about the injury riddled Twins still stands. They may be healthy sans Stewart now, but that was not the case most of the year, and they still played tremendous baseball. I have confidence that the Sox can and will pull it off this year, but I would be just as confident as ever if I were a Twin fan too. It's anyone's division right now, and the White Sox will have to win it, because the Twins certainly aren't going to go away.
I'm about as confident in the Twins as you are in the White Sox. I think the Twins will win it, but I know the White Sox definitely have the ability to take it from us.

Either way, I hope whoever represents the division in the playoffs goes on to take it all. I'm tired of hearing how the AL Central is a weak division. KC is pretty sad this season, but every other team has some serious talent, see last nights 9-1 Tigers win over the Yanks. I'll admit I smiled when I saw the replay of Urbina hitting Sheffield. The Indians will mostly be a spoiler this year, but pretty dangerous next year.

JB98
07-07-2004, 12:21 PM

The question is, how do the Sox fix that? I don't know how a GM or a manager goes about making a team more consistent. We have good players. There has to be a bad mental approach somewhere along the line.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
I was thinking last night how (and this may be only my impression) it seems such a struggle for the Sox to make up ground on the Twins.

In less then six days the Twins ripped off 3 1/2 games in the standings going from two back to a game and a half ahead.

I can't remember the Sox doing that in such a short time. To me it always seems to take to weeks to gain a game and a half.

The fact is the Twins aren't the type of team that's going to lose fix or six in a row. They are built to scrape out runs not blast them out and that has been a more consistent way to score. And Minnesota's schedule isn't hurting them at all either. They still have five more games with Kansas City, play a series at Baltimore and get Tampa Bay who is cooling off again.

The Sox conversly have already shown they can go on a losing streak and for some reason can't seem to be able to put six or eight wins in a row together. With the talent this team has on paper, that's pretty amazing. (Still think the lack of a 5th starter isn't a big deal?)

Throw out the two weeks in early August 2003 and this team simply hasn't shown that capacity since the start of the 2001 season.

Since opening day 2001, the Sox have changed players, they've changed field managers and the G.M. was brand new, opening day 2001. What's left to change?

I agree with one of the posters, something is wrong mentally with this club.

Lip

jabrch
07-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I can't remember the Sox doing that in such a short time. To me it always seems to take to weeks to gain a game and a half.

Didn't we just gain 3 games on them in 3 days last week?

Paulwny
07-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I agree with one of the posters, something is wrong mentally with this club.Lip
Yep, thinking of putting up individual numbers and not thinking of situational hitting (team ball).