PDA

View Full Version : Retired Hawk Catchphrases

jordan23ventura
07-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Anyone know whatever happened to "grab some bench?" It's a shame he doesn't use that one anymore. Any others you guys would like to see him bring back?

DrummerGeorgefan
07-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Anyone know whatever happened to "grab some bench?" It's a shame he doesn't use that one anymore. Any others you guys would like to see him bring back?
Duck Snort is used, but not as often as it used to be

Huisj
07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
i've been wondering that too ever since he went to "he gone." I miss people grabbing the bench.

he doesn't use gas too much anymore either.

I don't know that I've really heard cinch em up and hunker down much either lately, but then again, I see about one game every two weeks out here in colorado, so i could be wrong.

PutItOnTheBoard
07-06-2004, 10:52 PM
The thing I really miss is whenever the Sox were leading in the 9th inning, after the 2nd out he'd say "This is the man we've been waiting 2 hours and 47 minutes for" [or however long it had been since the first pitch - insert a different length each time] He and Wimpy used to do it, and I don't think he's used it since.

pissonthecubs
07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
The thing I really miss is whenever the Sox were leading in the 9th inning, after the 2nd out he'd say "This is the man we've been waiting 2 hours and 47 minutes for" [or however long it had been since the first pitch - insert a different length each time] He and Wimpy used to do it, and I don't think he's used it since.
that was one of my favorites. i do miss "Gaaasss!" and "Grab some bench". Two great Hawk Catchphrases.

DoggPhood
07-06-2004, 11:11 PM
well, he just said grab some bench

Cubbiesuck13
07-06-2004, 11:21 PM
i am sure he did not start can of corn but he did used to say it often but i don't get to watch many games so he still might. duck snort is a personal favorite as well as 'snab'

TommyJohn
07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Kent Hrbeck and the Twins were righteously offended at the phrase "grab some
bench." Don't ask why.

nasox
07-07-2004, 12:35 AM
bench." Don't ask why.
Why? :tongue: Seriously, anybody know?

nasox
07-07-2004, 12:36 AM
bench." Don't ask why.Why? :tongue: Seriously, anybody know?

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 12:40 AM
In a game in Chicago in 1991 towards the end of the season after Hrbek hit a home run, as he stepped on home plate he looked up to the press box and screamed some choice words about 'grabbing some bench,' to Hawk.

I think, and I don't know this for a fact, that Hawk thought using that phrase was motivating the opposition so he dropped it.

Lip

Tmar281
07-07-2004, 09:04 AM
when hawk wanted the ball to keep going he used to say get up but now he says stretch.

Blob
07-07-2004, 09:08 AM
The thing I really miss is whenever the Sox were leading in the 9th inning, after the 2nd out he'd say "This is the man we've been waiting 2 hours and 47 minutes for" [or however long it had been since the first pitch - insert a different length each time] He and Wimpy used to do it, and I don't think he's used it since.That was the one I was going to reference, I miss that one. He would always ask do you know who this guy is? Then proceed with this the guy we have been waiting for however much time had elasped.

I also miss "He scalded it!" He may have even through in a "Mercy!" with that one as well.

SaltyPretzel
07-07-2004, 09:57 AM
"You can fry an egg on his fanny"

JohnJeter
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Wasn't the original version of "grab some bench", "grab some pine buddy"? I can see where that would come off as a bit derisive. I think I remember him saying that. Or am I imagining this?

jabrch
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
bench." Don't ask why.

I was offended by Hrbeck's failure to ever acquire one more vowell - and when the Twins fans called him Herbie.

Blob
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
I was offended by Hrbeck's failure to ever acquire one more vowell - and when the Twins fans called him Herbie.:rolling: That was a good one!

SOXSINCE'70
07-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Gasssss,he's gone!!:)

TommyJohn
07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I was offended by Hrbeck's failure to ever acquire one more vowell - and when the Twins fans called him Herbie.
True. He needed to gain a vowel, grab some bench and lose some gut.

Brian26
07-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Since Durham's departure in 2002, he hasn't muttered, "I luvvvv to watch Ray run."

He hasn't done this in awhile, but he's been prone to use "There may be someone AS GOOD, but nobody will be BETTER than (insert player's name)."

mdep524
07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Since Durham's departure in 2002, he hasn't muttered, "I luvvvv to watch Ray run."

He hasn't done this in awhile, but he's been prone to use "There may be someone AS GOOD, but nobody will be BETTER than (insert player's name)."
Haha, that reminds me of his old favorite, "You show me a pitcher that loses 20 games in a season, and I'll show you a good pitcher."

Brian26
07-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Haha, that reminds me of his old favorite, "You show me a pitcher that loses 20 games in a season, and I'll show you a good pitcher."

A variation on one he's been using this season quite a bit:
"Show me a manager afraid to lose, and I'll show you a losing manager."

Brian26
07-07-2004, 12:52 PM
And who could ever forget his "shark cartiledge" kick from the 1996 season???

That was classic.

bennyw41
07-07-2004, 12:57 PM
I like when he does the "I luuuvvvv cotton candy" or "I luuuvvvv (insert anything)"

Foulke You
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Situation- 0-2 Count

HAWK: "He's going to have to bow his neck right here"

*or*

HAWK: "He's going to have to cinch it up, bristle up, and hunker down"

Situation- 2-0 Count

HAWK: "He's in the catbird seat right here"

ChiSox14305635
07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Hawk: "Ball 4, base hit".

DJ: "Base hit, ball 4".

Hawk: "Either way".

ma_deuce
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
:hawk
"Well, you can cancel the post-game show."

I think this was Hawk...

mdep524
07-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Situation- 2-0 Count

HAWK: "He's in the catbird seat right here"
Or "Zone 'em in, reel 'em in, and light 'em up." :D:

vegyrex
07-07-2004, 04:22 PM

That was classic.
That one drove me nutts. Sounded to infomercial like. :D:

vegyrex
07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't remember it being said like that. The one I heard was "Show me a pitcher who's afraid to pitch inside, and I'll show you a loser."

ChiSox14305635
07-07-2004, 05:05 PM
One Hawk doesn't use as much anymore:

We'd like to welcome all the great viewers in (insert city/state name). They got my money there.

GoGoOzzie
07-07-2004, 05:06 PM

That was classic.
I don't remember this one....?

:?:

oldcomiskey
07-07-2004, 05:15 PM
to my knowledge Hawk is the only announcer who cusses on a regular basis as well

jenmcm76
07-07-2004, 05:49 PM
I know this is a tread about retired phrases, but when Hawk says "Sit back, relax, and strap it down" at the start of every game, what exactly is the "it" he's referring to?

My husband and I debate this on occasion, and I suspect that being female, I don't have an "it" to strap down. :tongue:

Kuzman
07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
i dont hear him say, "No need to fear, One Dog is here" anymore either..

Kuzman
07-07-2004, 07:00 PM
I like when he does the "I luuuvvvv cotton candy" or "I luuuvvvv (insert anything)"
sorry for the double post but.. this has made my girlfriend go completely nuts because if were talkin about anything ill just say i luuuvvvv it when.. ahah she goes nuts when she hears that on tv too.. so she doesnt like that one too much, she still does love the You can put it on the board.. thats the classic one right there

soxphan7
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Situation- 0-2 Count

HAWK: "He's going to have to bow his neck right here"

Instead of Bow your neck, Hawk has been using "He's gonna have to bristle up."

Brian26
07-07-2004, 11:26 PM

We'd like to welcome all the great viewers in (insert city/state name). They got my money there.
GREAT one! This is the point of the thread....little catch phrases he doesn't do anymore.

Here's another one...

"Sportschannel would like to welcome it's affiliate and all of the great viewers in Dekalb, Illinois....Dekalbbbbb (Hawk and Wimpy in unison) YESSSS!"

jordan23ventura
07-07-2004, 11:36 PM

Forgot about that one! That was always one of my favorites.

Aidan
07-08-2004, 12:43 AM
to my knowledge Hawk is the only announcer who cusses on a regular basis as wellI've heard Hawk say "hell" quite a bit. Chip Carey won't even say "damn" when he says "the Best Damn Sports Show, Period." Did anyone else hear Hawk say "sh*tty" a couple weeks ago during the Cubs vs. White Sox series? I could swear he said it.

Voice of Reason
07-08-2004, 01:47 AM

I remember that, I could never figure out what it meant. Anyone know? Of course Hawk said it so it might not mean anything.

PutItOnTheBoard
07-08-2004, 02:12 AM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to money he has lost playing golf. Either due to just greens fees, or perhaps a little friendly wagering with people in those various cities...

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I like when he does the "I luuuvvvv cotton candy" or "I luuuvvvv (insert anything)" I remember last year when Hooters was sponsoring some give away and hawk said, "I luuuuuuuv Hooters." I hope Hooters sponsors another promotion/give away soon so I can hear hawk say it again.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Hope this one hasn't been mentioned:"Right Size,Wrong Shape" on a foul ball.:D::D: :D:

munchman33
07-08-2004, 08:54 AM
"Mike Maroth can lead my rotation any day."

Terminated
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I remember last year when Hooters was sponsoring some give away and hawk said, "I luuuuuuuv Hooters." I hope Hooters sponsors another promotion/give away soon so I can hear hawk say it again.
LOL

MrRoboto83
07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
was it just me or was Hawk using some of his older lines last night a little more than normal "Can of Corn" "Show me a pitcher who cant pitch inside", does Hawk read WSI? or perhaps DJ?

Fungo
07-08-2004, 12:04 PM
chopper, two hopper

KingXerxes
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM

"I'll tell you what Wimpy - this Matt Merullo can flat out play........mercy!"

"I guarantee you, when he gets a chance to play everyday, Julio Ramirez is going to re-write a large portion of the record book.......dadgum right."

"Terry Bevington is a red-ass. He's just what this team needs."

"I love watching Mike Caruso play - he can flat out play."

"Call up LaRussa and tell him I want to talk to him."

I could go on - but you get the point.

jordan23ventura
07-08-2004, 02:44 PM
"I'll tell you what Wimpy - this Matt Merullo can flat out play........mercy!"

"I guarantee you, when he gets a chance to play everyday, Julio Ramirez is going to re-write a large portion of the record book.......dadgum right."

"Terry Bevington is a red-ass. He's just what this team needs."

"I love watching Mike Caruso play - he can flat out play."

"Call up LaRussa and tell him I want to talk to him."

I could go on - but you get the point.
I gte your point, but what's he supposed to do? Talk down the young guys? The best thing about Hawk is that he isn't afraid to talk anyone up, and he isn't afraid show enthusiam for a player, especially when the Sox are losing by quite a few runs late in the game and there isn't much to talk about. Of course he knows that they aren't always going to pan out, but at least he gives the viewers (especially those who don't read messgae boards or scouting reports or watch the minors) something to get a little excited about.

maggliofan10
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Since we all know how great we've been playing lately

kojak
07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Haven't gotten to see Hawk on TV since I left Chicago after the '92 season (traded to Seattle). I remember him saying "He hit a pea!" and "He hit a lenia!" [sp] Does he still say that?

My fave was always "Right size, wrong shape". I use that playing darts.

he_gone_89
07-08-2004, 08:50 PM
I've heard Hawk say "hell" quite a bit. Chip Carey won't even say "damn" when he says "the Best Damn Sports Show, Period." Did anyone else hear Hawk say "sh*tty" a couple weeks ago during the Cubs vs. White Sox series? I could swear he said it.

I thought thats what i heard

I also remember one time this season and last season when he almost dropped some F-bombs

Thats Pretty gutsy with the new FCC rules and all