PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sox fans in Chicago...

MarkyBear
07-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Someone on another board is swearing up and down(scrub fan btw), that all over Chicago radio, Mags said today that contract talks are over from his side of things...

I live up in cheese land, so I don't know what's being said on the air waves down there...I'm sure someone here would of said something here if it was true...

I just thought i'd double check, so, any truth to this rumor???

dcb33
07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
George Hoffman on the Score interviewed Maggs earlier today and he said that they had broken off contract talks today.

MarkyBear
07-06-2004, 07:38 PM
George Hoffman on the Score interviewed Maggs earlier today and he said that they had broken off contract talks today.

Ah so it is true, DAMN!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry:

TornLabrum
07-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Ken Williams was on both ESPN-1000 and The Score today saying they were still talking. Believe whom you will.

Wealz
07-06-2004, 07:52 PM
If contract talks have indeed ended let's hope the rumor of Ordonez and Rauch or Diaz to the Baves for Andruw Jones and Ortiz happens ASAP.

MarkyBear
07-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I still don't get why Atlanta would do that, giving up Jones AND Ortiz for Mags??? Where's that get them??? They won't resign Mag's, so in retrospect, they just gave the Sox Jones and Ortiz, to rent Mags for half a year...

Did Offerman/Hoffman, whatever his name is, repeat that Mags said that or did you actualy hear Mags say that???

Flight #24
07-06-2004, 08:15 PM
I still don't get why Atlanta would do that, giving up Jones AND Ortiz for Mags??? Where's that get them??? They won't resign Mag's, so in retrospect, they just gave the Sox Jones and Ortiz, to rent Mags for half a year...

Did Offerman/Hoffman, whatever his name is, repeat that Mags said that or did you actualy hear Mags say that???
They had a sound bite from Maggs where they eventually asked him "so as of today, you're not talking anymore", and he said "yes".

As for the Braves deal, the incentive for the Braves is to get out from under Jones large, multiyear deal (IIRC, something like $13mil/yr for 3 years).

MarkyBear
07-06-2004, 08:26 PM
They had a sound bite from Maggs where they eventually asked him "so as of today, you're not talking anymore", and he said "yes".

As for the Braves deal, the incentive for the Braves is to get out from under Jones large, multiyear deal (IIRC, something like $13mil/yr for 3 years).

Ok, damn, thanx man...Hopefuly that's just a ruse or some clever sound editing...

I can see the Braves doing that for a salary dump, but don't teams usualy get prospects in exchange, not someone who'll be gone in half a year???

Lip Man 1
07-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Bob Foltman in the Tribune has a story on it quoting Maggs as saying the two sides have stopped talking.

Someone (either Maggs or Williams) is either lying or distorting the truth because what they are saying contradicts each other.

Lip

JB98
07-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Bob Foltman in the Tribune has a story on it quoting Maggs as saying the two sides have stopped talking.

Someone (either Maggs or Williams) is either lying or distorting the truth because what they are saying contradicts each other.
Contradictions have been the rule throughout this entire process. I sort of wonder if the inconsistencies have something to do with Magglio not being used to speaking to the media. Until these negotiations became a hot topic, you've almost never saw him quoted in the papers. Now, the media are coming at him every day, and I just wonder if he's saying whatever in an attempt to get people off his back.

milrtyme28
07-07-2004, 01:08 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040706&content_id=791065&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

FightingBillini
07-07-2004, 01:46 AM
If contract talks have indeed ended let's hope the rumor of Ordonez and Rauch or Diaz to the Baves for Andruw Jones and Ortiz happens ASAP.
NO!! There have to be better deals out there. Jones's career is downsliding. While still the best defensively, his bat is limp. Why pay $13 mil for him when you can have Maggs for $14? Also, Russ Ortiz isnt a particularly good pitcher, he has always had the benefit of great run support. Dont deal Maggs unless you can get something more than these two. We need Magglio if we are going to wing a championship this year. Getting another all or nothing, swinging for the fences hitter and a mediocre pitcher doesnt make up for the much needed bat that Ordoņez brings.