PDA

View Full Version : Meet who in World Series?

SpringfldFan
07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes, that's right, I am a Sox fan pulling for the Cubs to win. We got Freddy; Mags, Paulie, and Frank will soon all be back in the same lineup; and we are ready to roll through an easier 2nd half schedule. Now... I already want another crack at those northsiders. Even if it has to be in October, I wan't a chance at payback - I want the Sox to whoop them. Come on Cubs, win -- we will be waiting...

eshunn2001
07-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes, that's right, I am a Sox fan pulling for the Cubs to win. We got Freddy, Mags, Paulie, and Frank will soon all be back in the same lineup, and we are ready to roll through an easier 2nd half schedule. Now... I already want another crack at those northsiders. Even if it has to be in October, I wan't a chance at payback - I want the Sox to whoop them. Come on Cubs, win -- we will be waiting...
Eh, I get ya.... But nope

TDog
07-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Yes, that's right, I am a Sox fan pulling for the Cubs to win. We got Freddy, and Mags, Paulie, and Frank will soon all be back in the same lineup, and we are ready to roll through an easier 2nd half schedule. Now... I already want another crack at those northsiders. Even if it has to be in October, I wan't a chance at payback - I want the Sox to whoop them. Come on Cubs, win -- we will be waiting...
When the words "Go Cubs" come to mind, there are other words involved in the thought, which has nothing to do with wanting to see the Cubs win.

MarqSox
07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
:threadsucks

RKMeibalane
:threadblows:

fquaye149
Go (**** yourself) Cubs (fan)

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
And just in case that wasn't clear...

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:17 PM
One more time for effect...

SpringfldFan
07-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Go (**** yourself) Cubs (fan)
Go ahead and search my previous posts to determine if I am a Cub fan. Aside from that, I am confident the Sox can win and I am optimistic for the second half. However, even if the Sox can win it all, there is still some unfinished business - the northsiders. I know we can defeat them and I want them to prove it. What is the matter - aren't you confident we can beat them?

mcfish
07-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Yes, that's right, I am a Sox fan pulling for the Cubs to win. We got Freddy; Mags, Paulie, and Frank will soon all be back in the same lineup; and we are ready to roll through an easier 2nd half schedule. Now... I already want another crack at those northsiders. Even if it has to be in October, I wan't a chance at payback - I want the Sox to whoop them. Come on Cubs, win -- we will be waiting...
How 'bout we just get our payback next year? Outside of White Sox success, nothing would make me happier than seeing those Losers not even make the playoffs after they declared themselves World Series winners in the off season.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Go ahead and search my previous posts to determine if I am a Cub fan. Aside from that, I am confident the Sox can win and I am optimistic for the second half. However, even if the Sox can win it all, there is still some unfinished business - the northsiders. I know we can defeat them and I want them to prove it. What is the matter - aren't you confident we can beat them?
I agree that the Sox will beat the Cubs if given another shot at them. Having said that, I still don't want the Teddy Bears anywhere near the World Series. Sox or no Sox, I don't think any of us could stand the media love-fest that would ensue if the North Siders managed to get all the way to the Fall Classic.

mcfish
07-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Go ahead and search my previous posts to determine if I am a Cub fan. Aside from that, I am confident the Sox can win and I am optimistic for the second half. However, even if the Sox can win it all, there is still some unfinished business - the northsiders. I know we can defeat them and I want them to prove it. What is the matter - aren't you confident we can beat them?I wouldn't want to break one of the greatest streaks in baseball - the 22 years straight that the Cubs have failed to have winning seasons twice in a row. Why stop that now just to prove our ability to beat them?

SpringfldFan
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
How 'bout we just get our payback next year? Outside of White Sox success, nothing would make me happier than seeing those Losers not even make the playoffs after they declared themselves World Series winners in the off season.Good point, but to be honest, the only concerns I have regarding the Cubs are in the context of their competition with the Sox. Unless they play the Sox again, I couldn't care less what the Cubs do. It is kind of like ND/USC, Ohio St./Michigan, etc. If one beats the other, the loser won't ever be truly satisfied until the score is evened.

Not that I wouldn't still be happy if the Sox won the W.S. and the Cubs finished last :)

Wow, I have only gotten one "This thread sucks" and 3 "This thread blows" replies. I was expecting a lot more then that to be honest. I think the value of the thread though, if anything, is that it *does* make us explore our pre-occupation with the cubs and media.

MarqSox
07-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I agree that the Sox will beat the Cubs if given another shot at them. Having said that, I still don't want the Teddy Bears anywhere near the World Series. Sox or no Sox, I don't think any of us could stand the media love-fest that would ensue if the North Siders managed to get all the way to the Fall Classic.Exactly. When we win the pennant in October, I want the attention squarely on us -- if the flubs made it too, they would get the majority of the spotlight.

I want a Chicago Tribune with the headline "SOX WIN SERIES," not "CUBS LOSE SERIES."

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Good point, but to be honest, the only concerns I have regarding the Cubs are in the context of their competition with the Sox. Unless they play the Sox again, I couldn't care less what the Cubs do. It is kind of like ND/USC, Ohio St./Michigan, etc. If one beats the other, the loser won't ever be truly satisfied until the score is evened.

Not that I wouldn't still be happy if the Sox won the W.S. and the Cubs finished last :)
To be honest with you, I don't care who the Sox play in the World Series. I just want to see them win the damned thing. Lord knows it's been long enough since the last time they were World Champions. As Sox fans, seeing our Pale Hose take home the WS trophy has to remain top priority, not beating the Cubs. Let's all keep our eyes on the prize. As far as I'm concerned, the Cubs can win every pointless skirmish they want as long as the Sox are the ones who win the war.

SpringfldFan
07-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Exactly. When we win the pennant in October, I want the attention squarely on us -- if the flubs made it too, they would get the majority of the spotlight.

I want a Chicago Tribune with the headline "SOX WIN SERIES," not "CUBS LOSE SERIES."

Ahh, I see the problem now - the Tribune. Take a look at my screen name. I have no interest in the Tribune or Chicago media. Down here I have do deal with the holier then thou Cardinal fans just as much as the Cub fans.

harwar
07-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I think i understand what your trying to say but you havn't thought it through.
If the White Sox were to make it to the world series the only thing that could ruin it(other than losing) is the fact that we were playing the cubs.
Everyone and his brother would be HUGE cubs fans and we would be the enemy,the bad guys and if we won we would be heralded as the nasty team that caused the horrific thing that befell cubdom.
As for me personally,i want the cubs to lose every game every year for the rest of my life!

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
I think i understand what your trying to say but you havn't thought it through.
If the White Sox were to make it to the world series the only thing that could ruin it(other than losing) is the fact that we were playing the cubs.
Everyone and his brother would be HUGE cubs fans and we would be the enemy,the bad guys and if we won we would be heralded as the nasty team that caused the horrific thing that befell cubdom.
As for me personally,i want the cubs to lose every game every year for the rest of my life!
That's exactly how I feel. If the Sox make it to the World Series, I want to see the entire country rooting for them, not the Cubs. If the Teddy Bears reach the series, that's exactly what's going to happen. Therefore, I don't want them anywhere near the Fall Classic. In fact, I don't to see the Cubs in the post-season at all. Last October's run was enough to nearly drive me insane.

SomebodyToldMe
07-06-2004, 06:37 PM
waste of a thread.

even if that thread was gonna end up being another carbon copy of another thread.

never...NEVER should the words "go cubs" be said.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:39 PM
waste of a thread.

even if that thread was gonna end up being another carbon copy of another thread.

I wonder if the mods can set up the language filter to eliminate that phrase.

jabrch
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I would love to see the Sox BEAT the Cubs in a World Series. There would be nothing cooler than sticking it right to them. I would love to see the Sox beat ANYONE in a World Series, but the Cubs more than anyone.

That said, what would be worse than losing in a World Series to the Cubs? Not much...As much as I'd love being in a World Series, losing it to the Cubs would be so painful. (granted - I just want to get to the Series, so I'd take it any way I could)

Frankly, Lets get ourselves there - and then worry about who we are going to play. We gotta win a lot of games before that's an issue.

Cellview22
07-06-2004, 07:05 PM
I definitely DON'T want to meet the Cubs in the WS...I don't even want the Cubs to make the playoffs. I want the Sox to get all the attention, even if it's not as hyped as last year for the Cubs, and I'm sure the media will inevitably make comparisons between this year and last, but the deeper we go into the playoffs, the more positive everything will be. Even Cub fans won't be able to make the lame excuse they they swept the Sox..even bringing up the subject would make them look ridiculous.

On the other hand, if the Sox and Cubs both went deep into the playoffs, all the "fans" on the fence would jump on the more popular bandwagon, the Cubs, and it would be the most lop-sided ratio between the fans we've ever seen. It would be disgusting. For the WS, the Cell would probably have more Cub fans than Sox fans. Screw the Cubs. I hope nothing but losses for them!!!

SpringfldFan
07-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I think that about exhausts this thread. I knew I would ruffle some feathers but also hoped I would get us to thinking a little bit. I understand all the assertions that the Cubs in the World Series would detract from attention to the Sox, even if the Sox won. That makes sense, and I cannot disagree. However, I have one remaining concern. It seems to me we are conceding local and national attention to the Cubs - that we have given up hope of ever being seen favorably in relation to them. That is a miserable thought, even if true. If we agree that we will never be worth public attention, then what is that? Sure, we could just say "f" all the media and casual fans and live within ourselves. If that is the case, though, why do we care the Cubs would get more attention if they were also in the series? It seems we are wanting two mutually exclusive results.

??

Thanks for the replies, even the "This thread sucks" ones.

THE_HOOTER
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Exactly. When we win the pennant in October, I want the attention squarely on us -- if the flubs made it too, they would get the majority of the spotlight.

Who cares what the media thinks....

If we are in the WS and win, you'll be concerned with the headlines in the paper?

Good lord, who cares just win.

mcfish
07-07-2004, 10:45 AM
I think that about exhausts this thread. I knew I would ruffle some feathers but also hoped I would get us to thinking a little bit. I understand all the assertions that the Cubs in the World Series would detract from attention to the Sox, even if the Sox won. That makes sense, and I cannot disagree. However, I have one remaining concern. It seems to me we are conceding local and national attention to the Cubs - that we have given up hope of ever being seen favorably in relation to them. That is a miserable thought, even if true. If we agree that we will never be worth public attention, then what is that? Sure, we could just say "f" all the media and casual fans and live within ourselves. If that is the case, though, why do we care the Cubs would get more attention if they were also in the series? It seems we are wanting two mutually exclusive results.

??

Thanks for the replies, even the "This thread sucks" ones.
No one conceded anything, and we haven't given up any hope. We said that in the event that both teams are in the WS, Sox coverage would be minimal - that's not conceding, that's facing facts. One of the largest media outlets in the country owns the other team. Don't kid yourself, it's not just the Tribune. They own a lot more than just the worst paper in Chicago. In the event that the Sox go deep in the playoffs and the Flubs do not, the people around here think that we are bound to get more coverage, and positive coverage at that. Whether that is true or not is yet to be seen, but we do know that the media darlings on the north are going to dominate coverage as long as they are playing ball, at least this year.

Jerko
07-07-2004, 12:08 PM
waste of a thread.

EXCEPT for in that context!