PDA

View Full Version : Is JR losing his mind?

Sell Jerry Sell!
07-06-2004, 04:37 PM
First he signs Garcia to a 3 year $27 Million deal, K-Dub says they are getting closer with Maggs.

Are we acting like a major market team?

DaveIsHere
07-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Maybe he will go nuts the next couple of years trying to win it all, and then dump the team, I like it

Lip Man 1
07-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Considering the past twenty plus years all I can say is 'it's (about) time'

Lip

Kadafi311
07-06-2004, 05:05 PM
:anon:

Wake me up when it's over.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2004, 05:13 PM
...meanwhile, in his underground fortress deep under the surface of Lake Michigan, the reanimated clone of Bill Veeck continues his daily torture session on the real Jerry Reinsdorf...

:reinsy
"You bastard! You'll never get away with this! No one will believe that robotic doppelganger you replaced me with!"

:veeck
"Ha ha ha ha ha! Throw him into the iron maiden!"

:dumbash
"Yes, master!"

Randar68
07-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Maybe he will go nuts the next couple of years trying to win it all, and then dump the team, I like it
Actually, following the Garcia trade and the talk of still signing Maggs and Garcia, this thought really did occur to me. Hear me out.

Sign Garcia
Sign Maggs, if you can't, make a run at Beltran, or Nomar, or Cabrera, etc

The Sox have been REALLY watching payroll ever since the Navarro fiasco. IMO, the ownership group could have made a nice profit, set it aside, knowing they didn't have the resources for a consistent high-spending run at things, and basically made money on that "Set-aside profit" for the past 5 years or so. Doing so, they were saving themselves a nice little nest-egg to spend pre-sale in order to win like crazy and dramatically up the value of the franchise. This all is coinciding with the renovations to the stadium and the slow-moving changes/gentrification of the neighborhood.

hmmmm.

Intriguing thought, to me at least (maybe should be deeppink?)

thezeker
07-06-2004, 05:22 PM
This is what Reinsdorf & KW have said all along.

If attendance goes up they spend accordingly. Attendance is up and with the Garcia pickup I'll bet future attendance is looking good.

It may not be the way we think a franchise should be run but maybe that's why we don't own it.

If we draw 2.3 to 2.4 million I can see the SOX doing many great things.

I'm going to 4 games this week and hopefully 10 or 20 more as the season goes on. I know I am not alone and advance ticket sales must be good.

Let's enjoy the ride and not cry toooo much!!!

mantis1212
07-06-2004, 05:24 PM
How many years/how much money was Navarro signed for? I forget, I know we made a great trade with Milwaukee to get rid of him, but I don't remember what we really paid...

DaveIsHere
07-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I have already been to more this year than last and I am always looking at the calendar to see the next time I can squeeze a game in. I am going Friday, and I would love to go on Sunday, we will have to see what the wife thinks

rdivaldi
07-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Don't forget guys that JR stands to make a pretty handsome profit once the Comcast deal starts this October. That might loosen up the purse strings a bit more.

Randar68
07-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Don't forget guys that JR stands to make a pretty handsome profit once the Comcast deal starts this October. That might loosen up the purse strings a bit more.
Financials of that deal have not been disclosed, have they?

steff
07-06-2004, 05:43 PM

No, and I don't think it's going to be as big as some think. No basis behind that.. just from things I've heard.

Randar68
07-06-2004, 05:49 PM
No, and I don't think it's going to be as big as some think. No basis behind that.. just from things I've heard.
That was kind of my impression as well.

JoseCanseco6969
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
This is what Reinsdorf & KW have said all along.

If attendance goes up they spend accordingly. Attendance is up and with the Garcia pickup I'll bet future attendance is looking good.

It may not be the way we think a franchise should be run but maybe that's why we don't own it.

If we draw 2.3 to 2.4 million I can see the SOX doing many great things.

I'm going to 4 games this week and hopefully 10 or 20 more as the season goes on. I know I am not alone and advance ticket sales must be good.

Let's enjoy the ride and not cry toooo much!!!
I agree and have attended almost 20 games with plans ( and tickets) for around 20 more. I dont know what it is about this year, maybe the new look of things, but I just feel guilty watching the home games on TV instead of being there. Reminds me of good old Wirtz's idea of blocking out the home games for the Hawks. Anyway, me and some buddies already have tickets for weekend at the end of August in Cleveland VS the Tribe. I think itd be nice to get a bunch of us SOX fans down there to root on our team. More importantly, we need to go to as many games this summer and pack the house before the deadline and hope we get more Vets in trades. :bandance:

harwar
07-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Hes' going for it now because a giant asteroid will hit the earth in the fall and uncle jerry knows that winning next year will be kinda tough even with the renevations completed.:tongue:

hawkjt
07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Going down on thurs,fri,sat,sun this week -wish I could clear time to go tonite for freddy's debut. Have been to 12 games already and looking for a personal record of 40 + games this year. I do not think there is any doubt that JR will plow extra attendance cash back into the payroll as it just makes good business sense. I am guessing the comcast deal is based on ratings the sox pull so any bumo this year in popularity could pay off in TV money. I know the sox last year or year before recieved around 35mil a year in local TV and radio rights. It was in the upper half of the league in revenues. The radio deal is very good and hence am1000 wanting out after 05. I just hope they win it this year and pay off maggs and jose and maybe Esty. Com'on sox get me some winners this week.

TornLabrum
07-06-2004, 07:07 PM
First he signs Garcia to a 3 year $27 Million deal, K-Dub says they are getting closer with Maggs.

I'm not surprised. He won't sign pitchers for more than 3 years. He signed Garcia for exactly 3.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm not surprised. He won't sign pitchers for more than 3 years. He signed Garcia for exactly 3.
:reinsy

"And it's ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Lip Man 1
07-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Navarro was four years, twenty million.

And Uncle Jerry will be 70 in February perhaps the realization of his own mortality is causing some changes in attitude.

We'll see.

Lip

JoseCanseco6969
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Yes and that is the smart move. There are countless pitchers versus hitters that go downhill after 2 or 3 years. I think 3 is a safe bet with all the bad luck pitchers we've had.

Flight #24
07-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Navarro was four years, twenty million.

And Uncle Jerry will be 70 in February perhaps the realization of his own mortality is causing some changes in attitude.

We'll see.

Lip
More likely it's a far simpler equation: increased attendance = increased revenues = increased payroll = ability to get guys signed before hitting FA.

He's always said that's the White Sox situation, and as they say - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

pissonthecubs
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM

acting like one? maybe... getting closer to signing Mags? the way Mags was talking today, he said that talks have broken off and he is going to wait for the off-season. KW signs Mags before the end of the season, then we can talk about the Sox being a major market team.

Kogs35
07-06-2004, 11:39 PM
The radio deal is very good and hence am1000 wanting out after 05. .
the deal is over after next season. this is what i said in the roadhouse about options for the sox after next year

In general reinsdorf has 2 big probelms on his hands for the 06 season. 1 he will not get any deal with any station for what he thinks he will get. Second like i said erliar the snore wont take em because they will have to get rid of a certain morining host and a certain mid day host which they will not do, and jay hood would never have a show.

780 would only do it if they where either paid to broadcast it, and it would have to be worth it for them to do it. The yankees r on WCBS in NY but i dont know there deal and i dont know how they got WCBS to get off the all news format durring the summer.

There r only 2 logical places for the sox. 890 or 1000. There is a probelm over at 1000 with the program director Len Weiner and every 1 favorite moron Jay Mariotti. Bob Synder was fired as the gm a few weeks ago for fighting with Reinsdorf, and Len Weiner survived some how. Now with the moron's latest rant on U.S Cellular Field and what happened on Mac, Jurko, and Harry things could break loose agian if the moron starts something agian.

The sox will either end up getting a normal deal at 890 or 1000 with the Bulls included or paying for broadcast rights for both teams on 890 or 1000. The Blackhawks had a problem so they decided to pay the score to broadcast there games in Chicago. One way or another Uncle Jerry is not going to like his options.

hope this helps

ewokpelts
07-07-2004, 02:57 AM
I think the sox own 12.5%. Assuming that Comcast own 50%, and you slpit the other 40$ between the 4 teams. I think Bill Wirtz will make more profit, even if there's no nhl season.
Gene

gosox41
07-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Actually, following the Garcia trade and the talk of still signing Maggs and Garcia, this thought really did occur to me. Hear me out.

Sign Garcia
Sign Maggs, if you can't, make a run at Beltran, or Nomar, or Cabrera, etc

The Sox have been REALLY watching payroll ever since the Navarro fiasco. IMO, the ownership group could have made a nice profit, set it aside, knowing they didn't have the resources for a consistent high-spending run at things, and basically made money on that "Set-aside profit" for the past 5 years or so. Doing so, they were saving themselves a nice little nest-egg to spend pre-sale in order to win like crazy and dramatically up the value of the franchise. This all is coinciding with the renovations to the stadium and the slow-moving changes/gentrification of the neighborhood.

hmmmm.

Intriguing thought, to me at least (maybe should be deeppink?)
It's intriguing, but entirely untrue.

Bob

gosox41
07-07-2004, 08:55 AM
More likely it's a far simpler equation: increased attendance = increased revenues = increased payroll = ability to get guys signed before hitting FA.

He's always said that's the White Sox situation, and as they say - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
I've been saying that since I've been here. There's a direct correlation between JR spending money and attendance. Look back over the last 24 years.

Bob

Randar68
07-07-2004, 11:38 AM
It's intriguing, but entirely untrue.

Bob
And you're in a position to know, how? Is it speculation? Yes. Is it untrue? Only the true insiders know that, and you, Bob, have proven to be NO insider.

The rest of the world isn't as black/white or as absolute as your padded cell world.

gosox41
07-07-2004, 12:28 PM
And you're in a position to know, how? Is it speculation? Yes. Is it untrue? Only the true insiders know that, and you, Bob, have proven to be NO insider.

The rest of the world isn't as black/white or as absolute as your padded cell world.
I respond nicely to a post without any insults or anything.
I won't stoop to your low level of posting. Be a man Randar.

As for knowing what I know, I know more then you think. I don't need to prove anything to you. Keep speculating. I was just trying to save you the time and effort so you can go praise your KW statue. But keep speculating. I think JR had something to do with the Kennedy assasination, too. It's just speculation, but he is kind of a mean spirited person.

So go hide under the rock or back to your cell or your KW shrine or whatever. You can devote all the time and effort into your speculation, but like your 'inside' knowledge of Nardi and why he was fired it's just more specualtion. You have proven to be no 'insider'.

Write about all this speculation all you want. It's silly and factually incorrect. But if you want to believe it, it gives me something further to laugh at you about.

You rip on me for ripping a fatcually correct move (bringing up Burke) but yet you put more nonsense and drivel in here when you're not finding the time to try to insult people.

Bob

Randar68
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
I respond nicely to a post without any insults or anything.
I won't stoop to your low level of posting. Be a man Randar.

As for knowing what I know, I know more then you think. I don't need to prove anything to you. Keep speculating. I was just trying to save you the time and effort so you can go praise your KW statue. But keep speculating. I think JR had something to do with the Kennedy assasination, too. It's just speculation, but he is kind of a mean spirited person.

So go hide under the rock or back to your cell or your KW shrine or whatever. You can devote all the time and effort into your speculation, but like your 'inside' knowledge of Nardi and why he was fired it's just more specualtion. You have proven to be no 'insider'.

Write about all this speculation all you want. It's silly and factually incorrect. But if you want to believe it, it gives me something further to laugh at you about.

Factually incorrect? PLEASE tell me where that was true. Because you say so is certainly not sufficient in this case, especially given your history on this site. I never claimed to have inside knowledge as to WHY Nardi was fired, but I did have first-hand knowledge of WHY he was a bad pitching coach.

That's ok, cognitive capacity is clearly not a strong suit of yours, and misconstruing simple statements and ideas is clearly one of your more common short-comings. It's ok, I'm used to explaining complicated things to the uninformed.

You rip on me for ripping a fatcually correct move (bringing up Burke) but yet you put more nonsense and drivel in here when you're not finding the time to try to insult people.

It was a thought out and reasoned hypothetical, which was OBVIOUSLY not based on any real inside info (of which you have none).

BTW, it wouldn't take much for you to know more than what I give you credit for, because based on your posts to date, that is ZERO.

gosox41
07-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Factually incorrect? PLEASE tell me where that was true. Because you say so is certainly not sufficient in this case, especially given your history on this site. I never claimed to have inside knowledge as to WHY Nardi was fired, but I did have first-hand knowledge of WHY he was a bad pitching coach.

That's ok, cognitive capacity is clearly not a strong suit of yours, and misconstruing simple statements and ideas is clearly one of your more common short-comings. It's ok, I'm used to explaining complicated things to the uninformed.

It was a thought out and reasoned hypothetical, which was OBVIOUSLY not based on any real inside info (of which you have none).

BTW, it wouldn't take much for you to know more than what I give you credit for, because based on your posts to date, that is ZERO.
I could care less what you think of my history. I know what I know. But I'll let you waste time specualting. I was trying to save you from wasting so much time and effort on nothing, but I could care less. Speculate away. It's very entertaining how cognitively challenged people take 2 sides of the same issue because they have no reading comprehension skills. Especially when the speculation is supposedly 'thought out and reasonable'...to a 5 year old maybe. You ever run a business before?? Get a clue.

The fact that you don't think I have any credibility adds to why I do. I don't need you supporting me. I can come out tomorrow and tell you 'Player A is going to get traded' and if it didn't happen that very same day I have no credibility. If it did, I must have gotten lucky.

Go back to figuring out which player the Sox drafted is going to sign and which one isn't. You seem to know this stuff well, stick with it. It's about the only insight you add here. Try not to go much beyond that though as it doesn't help you at all.

Bob