PDA

View Full Version : Over the past 30 days...

WWIII
07-06-2004, 01:55 PM
...some of our boys have just plain stunk. Uribe and Harris we're doing fantastic early on in the season, but in the past 30 days (per mlb.com) Harris is hitting .133, Uribe, .220! The Big Hurt isn't hurting anyone with his .219 over the past 30 days. And Valentin is at .253. Understandably, the interleague play may screw with some of these stats, but not that much. Everyone else is hitting .280 or better for the past month. These guys need to step it up if we are going to run away with this division title. Is it just a slump, or was the earlier portion just a bonus?

Randar68
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
...some of our boys have just plain stunk. Uribe and Harris we're doing fantastic early on in the season, but in the past 30 days (per mlb.com) Harris is hitting .133, Uribe, .220! The Big Hurt isn't hurting anyone with his .219 over the past 30 days. And Valentin is at .253. Understandably, the interleague play may screw with some of these stats, but not that much. Everyone else is hitting .280 or better for the past month. These guys need to step it up if we are going to run away with this division title. Is it just a slump, or was the earlier portion just a bonus?

Uhhhh, Jose hitting .253 is closer to a hot streak than a slump.

WWIII
07-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Uhhhh, Jose hitting .253 is closer to a hot streak than a slump.
I realized that, but I thought I woul mention it just to show the contrast with these four and the rest of the team.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I think Frank's struggles are the result of him not seeing regular at-bats during Interleague play. He'll be fine now that the Sox are playing AL teams again. As for Harris and Uribe, it's possible that what happened earlier in the season was the result of both players playing over their heads. Uribe was never able to post numbers like this when he was in Colorado, and Harris could barely hit the ball out of the infield last season.

Valentin hasn't hit for a high average in several seasons, so I don't think he's going to get any better in that area. His power numbers are better than they've ever been, thanks to his batting left-handed exclusively.

soxtalker
07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
I think Frank's struggles are the result of him not seeing regular at-bats during Interleague play. He'll be fine now that the Sox are playing AL teams again. ....
I know that this opinion is shared by many on WSI, but I'm skeptical. The pinch-hitting role has a lot in common with the DH role that Frank normally fills. Plus, he has historically done well in his first at bat in a game, though the pitcher probably focuses much more during a pinch-hitting at bat than in the first inning. Also, I believe that Frank's struggles have stretched over many games that were in the Cell and other AL ball parks. I've been thinking that Frank's lower average recently may have more to do with the absence of Maggs.

DaveIsHere
07-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I've been thinking that Frank's lower average recently may have more to do with the absence of Maggs.
Yeah Maggs isnt hitting behind him and rubbing franks big thick thighs in between at bats.......no excitement I guess:?: