PDA

View Full Version : Ran into PK Downtown Today

Brian26
07-05-2004, 10:23 PM
I was shopping with my wife today. I happened to leave the store she was in to go check something else out, and on my way back I met Konerko and his bride. They were with another couple- the guy went to high school with PK he told me. I didn't want to make a big spectacle, and it seemed like I was the only one who recognized him. I said hi and told him to go grab a victory tomorrow. I was tempted to jokingly tell him to tell Crede to quit popping up with guys in scoring postion with less than 2 outs, but I let it go.

Cowch44
07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
yeah, you always feel weird around people that are on TV no matter who it is. I've never met one but I'd find it hard to even say hi.

SoxxoS
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I think it's good you didn't say anything about Crede...not that it's a big deal, but it's not like PK is going to respond "Yeah, he really does suck," anyway:D:

Lip Man 1
07-05-2004, 10:32 PM
People who are on TV for the most part are no different then you or I. They have a certain skill that got them on TV... be it being able to play a game or report on a game but that's it.

Lip

JDub35
07-05-2004, 10:47 PM
You should have thanked him for doing his part as a "Cub Killer" last weekend at the Cell. :cool:

Brian26
07-05-2004, 10:48 PM
People who are on TV for the most part are no different then you or I. They have a certain skill that got them on TV... be it being able to play a game or report on a game but that's it.

LipLiving downtown, my wife and I run into people all the time. A few weeks ago, Ron Magers was eating dinner across the room from us. Last Sunday, we went for a walk and walked right past Baskerville and Sudberry around the Channel 2 studios (they seemed to be going to grab some dinner together). I've seen Jerry Taft standing outside Ch 7 smoking, and I've walked past Kathy Brock trying to catch a cab.

The one common element of all these experiences- I've never once said a word to any of these people. I think they get too much of a kick out of being acknowledged. I choose not to feed their egos any more than they already are, so I usually look them right in the eye and walk past.

PK is the exception though.

fquaye149
07-05-2004, 11:09 PM
I think it's good you didn't say anything about Crede...not that it's a big deal, but it's not like PK is going to respond "Yeah, he really does suck," anyway:D:
with paulie, you never know

THE_HOOTER
07-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Living downtown, my wife and I run into people all the time. A few weeks ago, Ron Magers was eating dinner across the room from us. Last Sunday, we went for a walk and walked right past Baskerville and Sudberry around the Channel 2 studios (they seemed to be going to grab some dinner together). I've seen Jerry Taft standing outside Ch 7 smoking, and I've walked past Kathy Brock trying to catch a cab.

The one common element of all these experiences- I've never once said a word to any of these people. I think they get too much of a kick out of being acknowledged. I choose not to feed their egos any more than they already are, so I usually look them right in the eye and walk past.

PK is the exception though.
I do the same exact thing.

They are just like you and me--they dont need their egos getting any bigger than they are already.

Especially the media in Chicago--If anything, a cold stare works.:bandance:

39thandWallace
07-06-2004, 06:01 AM
I saw Estaban Loiza at the movie theatre downtown with his little daughter standing in line for popcorn. Then a couple minutes later Harry from Mac, Jerko, and Harry walked by.

white sox bill
07-06-2004, 07:22 AM
I saw the Hawk @ Soxfest a few yrs back. He was just ahead of me on the escalotor riding up--I grabbed his shoulder and said :"The Hawkeroo"!" We exchanged pleasantries about the cold Chicago weather, him living in Florida and so on. He kept calling me partner. BTW, that guys got a beak that would make a woodpecker jelous!

ondafarm
07-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey, no matter how you feel about your teammates, the guy is a professional and he's there. When I played minor league ball, I was always getting interviewed and asked if I was "frustrated" by so-n-so's play. (I never quite mastered the Japanese ideal of leaving my emotions out of a game.) My universal response was "No, I was frustrated with my own play." I should have done more to help him, to win the game when I had a chance, or to be a better teammate and help him deal with his problems. While PK may have had his own variation I doubt he'd react differently.

HITMEN OF 77
07-06-2004, 01:15 PM
So Paulie must live downtown? Is that were most of the players are living these days while the season is going on?

inta
07-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I saw Jim Parque downtown the other day...
he took my order at burger king.
ba-dum-dum-*crash*

i think a few of the younger/bachelor sox players live in the southloop. i know garland lives across the street from my buddy on south wabash.

Deadguy
07-06-2004, 04:54 PM
So was PK able to find the aisle with the hair plugs?

lths06
07-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Ive seen Jessie Jackson and Norm Van Leer at Comisky. It was awakward seeing Norm, being that he just walked up to the urinal beside me. Kida weird to start a conversation there :redneck

billnahorodny
07-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Chris Chelios was in Jimbo's after the Sunday game against the Cubs at the Cell

JGarlandrules20
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
yeah, you always feel weird around people that are on TV no matter who it is. I've never met one but I'd find it hard to even say hi.I'm always super nervous around players..its crazy. Like at Soxfest, the first autograph I got was Joe Credes and the guy next to him was like "Don't be nervous. Take a deep breath...." And its not like I said anything..it just must have been really obvious how nervous I was. I was just like "uh....:redface:"

LongLiveFisk
07-06-2004, 09:27 PM
I saw Jim Parque downtown the other day...
he took my order at burger king.
ba-dum-dum-*crash*

i think a few of the younger/bachelor sox players live in the southloop. i know garland lives across the street from my buddy on south wabash.
OMG, you just reminded me of the time I was in Burger King on Rte 83 in Darien (I think) and Ray Durham was right behind me in line. This was back in '01, I'm pretty sure. When it was my turn, I was sort of daydreaming when I looked over at Ray who was looking at me with this "are you gonna order or what?" look on his face. :redface: I didn't say anything much to him because he didn't look in the mood for chit-chat (I guess my stalling must have pissed him off) :tongue: He did drive off in a nice Mercedes though!

jamteh
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Five or six years ago Reggie Jackson was a couple of steps ahead of me on an escalator at a baseball card show. When we got to the top, I asked him for his autograph and he said no. I guess He didn't want to give one away for free when everyone else was shelling out a fortune.

I did an interview with George Foreman last year over the phone, and then I ran into him at the Housewares Show. I happened to have the magazine with the article in it and I got him to sign it. He was very cool.

Whitesox029
07-06-2004, 11:38 PM
I was shopping with my wife today. I happened to leave the store she was in to go check something else out, and on my way back I met Konerko and his bride. They were with another couple- the guy went to high school with PK he told me. I didn't want to make a big spectacle, and it seemed like I was the only one who recognized him. I said hi and told him to go grab a victory tomorrow. I was tempted to jokingly tell him to tell Crede to quit popping up with guys in scoring postion with less than 2 outs, but I let it go.Congratulations. You have done something I would dearly love to do. Now please don't go and tell me you've met Bono too!

brewcrew/chisox
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Five or six years ago Reggie Jackson was a couple of steps ahead of me on an escalator at a baseball card show. When we got to the top, I asked him for his autograph and he said no. I guess He didn't want to give one away for free when everyone else was shelling out a fortune.
:wills

"Drillrod!"