PDA

View Full Version : Recipe to beat sox

hawkjt
07-05-2004, 05:57 PM
It is really quite simple. Throw strikes like Rush did last nite. Their offense is predicated on walks for three run dingers ect. They cannot put 4 singles in a row together so they need walks to survive. This is nothing new as it is the case for years. Check the numbers ; when the sox play the team with the most walks wins 90% of the time. I knew they were in trouble last nite when Rush kept throwing first pitch strikes. The opposing pitcher does not even need to have good stuff if he throws strikes cuz the sox will get themselves out. Thank god that there are a lot of pitchers in AL that simply cannot throw strikes. Those guys we kill.

fquaye149
07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
It is really quite simple. Throw strikes like Rush did last nite. Their offense is predicated on walks for three run dingers ect. They cannot put 4 singles in a row together so they need walks to survive. This is nothing new as it is the case for years. Check the numbers ; when the sox play the team with the most walks wins 90% of the time. I knew they were in trouble last nite when Rush kept throwing first pitch strikes. The opposing pitcher does not even need to have good stuff if he throws strikes cuz the sox will get themselves out. Thank god that there are a lot of pitchers in AL that simply cannot throw strikes. Those guys we kill.:threadblows:

munchman33
07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
It is really quite simple. Throw strikes like Rush did last nite. You mean 6-10 inches off the outside corner? Seriously, were you watching that game? Anybody would dominate under those conditions.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2004, 06:31 PM
You mean 6-10 inches off the outside corner? Seriously, were you watching that game? Anybody would dominate under those conditions.
Word up, Munch! Besides last night, how about Greg Maddux and the 8" of black he grows the strike zone during the course of a nine inning game. The umpires have been letting him get away with this for years.

jcirish85
07-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I must agree. Only the Sox struggle when other pitchers throw strikes. Only the Sox take atvantage of walks. Every other team plays well when the pitchers throw lots of strikes.

Tmar281
07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
It is really quite simple. Throw strikes like Rush did last nite. Their offense is predicated on walks for three run dingers ect. They cannot put 4 singles in a row together so they need walks to survive. This is nothing new as it is the case for years. Check the numbers ; when the sox play the team with the most walks wins 90% of the time. I knew they were in trouble last nite when Rush kept throwing first pitch strikes. The opposing pitcher does not even need to have good stuff if he throws strikes cuz the sox will get themselves out. Thank god that there are a lot of pitchers in AL that simply cannot throw strikes. Those guys we kill.don't give away our secrets!

OEO Magglio
07-05-2004, 08:01 PM
If a pitcher throws stirkes he's going to win a lot of games. There's a shock.

nasox
07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Word up, Munch! Besides last night, how about Greg Maddux and the 8" of black he grows the strike zone during the course of a nine inning game. The umpires have been letting him get away with this for years.
In defense of Maddux, I believe he still would have won 300 games (it'll happen soon) had the umps not given him that extra space in the zone. He is such a good pitcher he could adjust to that type of thing. That being said, the umps are bound to give charity to certain pitchers (just like MJ got all the calls). It's not right, but it happens. Meh!

SOXintheBURGH
07-05-2004, 10:29 PM
:chunks

fquaye149
07-06-2004, 08:13 AM
In defense of Maddux, I believe he still would have won 300 games (it'll happen soon) had the umps not given him that extra space in the zone. He is such a good pitcher he could adjust to that type of thing. That being said, the umps are bound to give charity to certain pitchers (just like MJ got all the calls). It's not right, but it happens. Meh!
just like he adjusted last sunday

Dadawg_77
07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
The Ump on Sunday sucked. His plate was at least 30 inches wide expect in the ninth. He was calling outside and inside strikes all night. Take for an example Frank Thomas' at bat. The Ump calls a pitch 3-6 inches off the plate a strike. Now Frank has to cover that area so he will lean in a bit. Thus when Glendon came inside with strike three and painted the black to bit outside, Frank had no chance at it, no discipline hitter would have.

jabrch
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Wait a sec - let me get this straight...

Throw Strikes....and you might win? No?.?.?.?

Uh...no kidding? Geez...

Dadawg_77
07-06-2004, 11:51 AM
The Home Plate Ump was Doug Eddings. In games which he was calling balls and strikes average 16Ks, 8K/9In and 2.91 ERA The K's per nine is the highest in baseball, and the ERA is the lowest. RA is the second lowest at 3.36. 66.4% of pitches thrown are stirkes, second highest in the league. He calls 3.5 strikes per one ball, the highest ratio with no other umpire being higher then 2.5. This ump calls a very pitcher friendly game and good hittings will tend to struggle with umps like Eddings behind the plate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/umpire_report2004.html?PHPSESSID=37808cf54737fe121 41840e59539bc2c