PDA

View Full Version : Grobber's Gloat

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
We'd be disappointed if Grobber didn't gloat. I'm just wondering though how Grobber spun things back in 1999 when the Sox swept the Cubbies and then lost 2 of 3 to the Cubbies at Comiskey.

Cubs Sweep Sox and take City Title Outright for first time since 1998. - Les "Grobber" Grobstein.

What do you guys remember Grobber said back in 1999? Did Grobber say that the Sox won the "City Title Outright?" seeing how the Sox won 4 of 6. Or did Grobber say that it was a split since each team won a series? I suspect that Grobber said it was a split.

samram
07-05-2004, 01:30 AM
We'd be disappointed if Grobber didn't gloat. I'm just wondering though how Grobber spun things back in 1999 when the Sox swept the Cubbies and then lost 2 of 3 to the Cubbies at Comiskey.

What do you guys remember Grobber said back in 1999? Did Grobber say that the Sox won the "City Title Outright?" seeing how the Sox won 4 of 6. Or did Grobber say that it was a split since each team won a series? I suspect that Grobber said it was a split.
That really didn't seem like gloating as much as a statement of fact. That said, last time I checked, the city title means exactly nothing in the grand scheme of things. Remember, Cubs fans don't care about beating the Sox.

cheeses_h_rice
07-05-2004, 01:32 AM
:whocares:

Seriously, the Flubs swept us at the Urinal and won 1 at the Cell. They won the city series this year, so whatever "bragging rights" are to be had, they're theirs.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 01:36 AM
That really didn't seem like gloating as much as a statement of fact. That said, last time I checked, the city title means exactly nothing in the grand scheme of things. Remember, Cubs fans don't care about beating the Sox.

There is no "City Title." That exists only in the mind of Grobber. Should there be one though, it should be called The Les Grobstein Memorial City Title.

"This is only the second three-game sweep between the Cubs and White Sox since they began interleague play in 1997 -- the other was also at Wrigley Field, by the Cubs, in 1998." - Cub fan blog (http://www.yellon.org/links.htm)

WRONG! The Sox swept in a "three-game sweep" in 1999 at Wrigley.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 01:42 AM
:whocares:

Seriously, the Flubs swept us at the Urinal and won 1 at the Cell. They won the city series this year, so whatever "bragging rights" are to be had, they're theirs.

Exactly, I'm just wondering if Les called it that way back in '99.

Ok the Sox have won this series. Great. Now beat the Twins and get into first place. That's when I'll be happy. This was a good win but beating the Cubs is not what it's all about, at least to me. - Quote from me, June 21, 2003.

hose
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't mind Grobber talking trash, at least he is consistent.

The Sox getting swept and then being dissed in the All-Star game in the same night really sucks.

The White Sox have to win the world series to put a end to all this crap.

jdm2662
07-05-2004, 09:27 AM
The White Sox won the series last year. No one was talking about it when the Cubs were five outs away from a World Series. If the White Sox go to the Series and win it, no one will mention about the sweep the Cubs gave them this weekend. If the White Sox win the World Series, no one will mention the Cubs sweep...

Les was stating a fact. It blows, but it happened... Hell, I emailed him last night and said enjoy the sweep before the top of the ninth. I was expecting a usual Sox performance when they face Hawkins...
________
Weed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWdazX4KGzw)

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 09:30 AM

The Sox getting swept and then being dissed in the All-Star game in the same night really sucks.

The series at The Shrine went downhill from the reversal on the grand slam. Then the negative vibe about Magglio on Saturday didn't help.

My question to Grobber is whether or not he's been consistent. If in 1999 Grobber said it was a Sox series win (4 of 6) then he's consistent. I have a feeling though that Grobber said it was one series win to the Sox, one to the Cubbies.

I sent Grobber an email and included a link to this discussion so he can clear things up.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 09:34 AM
If the White Sox go to the Series and win it, no one will mention about the sweep the Cubs gave them this weekend. If the White Sox win the World Series, no one will mention the Cubs sweep...

If the Sox got to the World Series, if the Sox win the World Series either way Grobber would be yapping about this. If the Sox won the World Series, Les would be the first person to say that the Cubbies won the so-called "City Series." In fact Les kept yapping in 2000 when the Sox won the AL Central that the Sox were "Co-City Champs."

jdm2662
07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I know he did. Do you how I reacted? I laughed. Do you know how I will react if the events described happened? I would laugh harder. I'm willing to bet my car Les would perfer a World Series title over the "city" title.
________
Anime Cartoon (http://www.****tube.com/categories/103/cartoon/videos/1)

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I know he did. Do you how I reacted? I laughed. Do you know how I will react if the events described happened? I would laugh harder. I'm willing to bet my car Les would perfer a World Series title over the "city" title.

Les might prefer your car's title.

:)

Viva Magglio
07-05-2004, 10:43 AM
If I recall in 1999, I believe Les did give us our props. Unlike some others in the media, I do not consider the Cub fan Les Grobstein a Sox hater.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 10:47 AM
If I recall in 1999, I believe Les did give us our props. Unlike some others in the media, I do not consider the Cub fan Les Grobstein a Sox hater.

Ok, good to hear that Les is being consistent.

Freddie is going tomorrow. A great pick-me-up would be a WHITE SOX WINNER!

jdm2662
07-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Les is far and away my favorite radio personality. He has given the sox their props when they deserve it, and his Cub sucking rants were funny as hell. It's a sham he's doesn't have a show, but what can you do?
________
SILVER SURFER REVIEWS (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

TommyJohn
07-05-2004, 11:05 AM
If the White Sox win the World Series, no one will mention the Cubs sweep...
Wanna bet? This is the town of Mariotti, Giangreco, Morrissey and Telander,
remember?

jdm2662
07-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Nah, Mariotti will say he was a Sox fan all along and told all of us he knew they were going to win...
________
Landy (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_Landy)

Grobber33
07-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Grow up Doc!!! I know you are smarter than that!! You remain one of my favorite posters on this or any other site...Find me one thing in that headline that is'nt fact!! You cant. The Cubs DID sweep the Sox and thus ARE City Champs for 2004. Last year I said the SOX were City Champs. This year they are not. You cant have it both ways. Dont blame me because Mr.Zero and Marte could'nt throw strikes.
You call that gloat?? I call that reporting the game. As for 1999,my website did'nt exsist back them,but on the Score I played plenty of highlights of the Sox Wrigley Sweep back then.
Nobody hammered the 2000 Cubs or praised the 2000 Sox more than I did. As for calling the 2000 Cubs 'Co-City Champs', you're darned right I did. And last year you called(and so did I)the Sox City Champs. No it's not Official,but alot of things I do and say are NOT OFFICIAL,,,,right?

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 12:23 PM
...As for 1999, my website didn't exsist back them, but on the Score I played plenty of highlights of the Sox Wrigley Sweep back then...

Les,

That wasn't my question. I too know that you're smarter than that. Answer the questions asked.

After your little rant, perhaps you could now address what I asked:

Grobber33
07-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Les,

That wasn't my question. I too know that you're smarter than that. Answer the questions asked.

After your little rant, perhaps you could now address what I asked:

You suspect WRONG! I said the Sox were City Champs in 1997,99,2001 & 2003---the Cubs were in 1998,and the two were Co-Champs in 2000 & 2002.
Last year was the first in which my site exsisted and I definatly called the Sox City Champs---even during the Post Season.
To answer a question someone else asked,,,yes I'd rather see my team in the World Series rather than win a Cross-Town Series. Of course,like all of you,,,,I'd rather do both. In 1985 the Bears not only won the Superbowl which was and remains the top priority, but the Bears also swept both games from Green Bay which is the cherry on the Frosting on the Cake.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 12:41 PM
You suspect WRONG! I said the Sox were City Champs in 1997,99,2001 & 2003---the Cubs were in 1998,and the two were Co-Champs in 2000 & 2002.
Last year was the first in which my site exsisted and I definitely called the Sox City Champs---even during the Post Season.
To answer a question someone else asked,,,yes I'd rather see my team in the World Series rather than win a Cross-Town Series. Of course,like all of you,,,,I'd rather do both. In 1985 the Bears not only won the Superbowl which was and remains the top priority, but the Bears also swept both games from Green Bay which is the cherry on the Frosting on the Cake.

Thank-you!

If the Sox were to win the World Series this year, Cubbie fans can revel in the sweep and being "City Champions" all you want. I'll take a World Series title over any so-called city title any day. BTW do you think the Yankees will fret over getting swept by the Mets if they were to win it all again? Doubt it.

Grobber33
07-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Thank-you!

If the Sox were to win the World Series this year, Cubbie fans can revel in the sweep and being "City Champions" all you want. I'll take a World Series title over any so-called city title any day. BTW do you think the Yankees will fret over getting swept by the Mets if they were to win it all again? Doubt it.

Nope. The Mets are like fleas in the Yanks armpits.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Nope. The Mets are like fleas in the Yanks armpits.

Cubbie fans would like everyone to believe that it's the same with them towards the White Sox.

It's time for Cubbie fans to drop the lies like, 'This is just another series to us...' 'This is the World Series for Sox fans...'

It was quite obvious this weekend that beating the Sox means a whole helluva lot to Cubbie fans, as my voicemail will attest to.

Last weekend I didn't call Cubbie fans, they sure called me last night.

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2004, 01:56 PM

I don't know how much that will help.The Sox could win several WS's,it wouldn't matter in this sCrUB infested hellhole.:angry: :angry: :angry: