PDA

View Full Version : big game for me tomorrow

whitesox30
07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
im 16 years old and play baseball for Waterloo Columbus Sailors in Waterloo Iowa....i am a left handed pitcher with about a 75 mph fastball a curveball and a changeup.....i have a record of 3-1 and an ERA of 3.21 and was wondering what you think i could do to get more guys out.... i do only play on the sophmore level but have played some JV this season in for some relief...please send me some responses...thanks

JB98
07-04-2004, 11:09 PM
im 16 years old and play baseball for Waterloo Columbus Sailors in Waterloo Iowa....i am a left handed pitcher with about a 75 mph fastball a curveball and a changeup.....i have a record of 3-1 and an ERA of 3.21 and was wondering what you think i could do to get more guys out.... i do only play on the sophmore level but have played some JV this season in for some relief...please send me some responses...thanks
Develop your change-up, and don't be afraid to throw it in any count. Changing speeds is the key to success for pitchers who don't possess an overpowering fastball.

Jurr
07-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Work inside and really get that change to where you can locate it. Change a hitter's eyes by throwing high and tight inside and then work changeups away and down. Painfully hard to hit. I used to hate getting pitched inside and then away with a slow pitch. Chad Harville, a guy I played high school ball with (he was a senior when I was a freshman) lived up and inside, but he'd drop that curve outside and screw guys up all day.
We played all the time against Ben Howard, who now pitches in the national league somewhere, and he was not terribly hard to hit because he only pitched fastballs. When he got to the minors, they worked on his off speed stuff, and that helped him get to the bigs.

whitesox30
07-04-2004, 11:13 PM
i really appreciate you guys helping me out...2morrow i will try and do my best to do what you guys have told me...and hope it does wonders for me throughtout my high school career....i am only a sophmore and have been lifting weights to get my velocity up...but i jus had a torn rotator cuff and just got back from it and had a start and gave up 6 runs...3 were unearned....i will let you guys know on how i am doing with your advice...thanks again

SoxFan76
07-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Just wanted to add a thing, the fastball is the best pitch in baseball. I'd say get yourself a good fastball then worry about changing speeds. Since you are young (I say young, I just graduated...) you can still get guys out with fastballs. Then learn to change speeds, and throw in a breaking pitch.