PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Frank and Abreu

MarqSox
07-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Who are we giving our votes to -- Thomas or Konerko? I'm going to suggest Thomas, but we need to decide NOW and give our votes exclusively to that person.

Also, who are we voting for in the NL -- we need to come up with someone instead of Aramis Ramirez. I'm going to go ahead and suggest Juan Pierre -- that way we can share the vote with our friends at www.marlinsbaseball.com (http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/).

Is this OK with everyone?

MOD EDIT:

Frank has won our unoffical poll. And we have an agreement with Phillies fans to vote for Abreu in exchange for their votes for Frank.

Go here to vote for Frank and Abreu (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/all_star/y2004/final_vote.jsp)

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 06:57 PM
I wonder if the Marlin fans are angered that Koch didn't get a spot...

Soxzilla
Personally I say Konerko, because he deserves it after his years of service with us. Not too mention the tear he is on with those homeruns.

I love frank and all, but next year for him. We gotta give pauly some love. Either that or the uribe-meister.

*Sad thing is, I'd choose rowand to start in the outfield over 3 of the 6 all star outfield starters......

cbrownson13
I am going to vote often for Frank. Unfortunately, with Hideki Matsui on the ballot, I think he will run away with it. Not only will he get the Yankee fan vote, but the foreign vote too, which wins in a landslide.

munchman33
07-04-2004, 07:21 PM
For those thinking of voting for Paulie...DON'T WASTE YOUR VOTE!

Frank will pick up name recognition votes from others besides White Sox fans. Let's build on that.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Frank. Anyone who votes for Konerko is an idiot.

SomebodyToldMe
07-04-2004, 08:26 PM
you don't have to vote for a national leaguer.

and that's Mr. Idiot to you, bub.

munchman33
07-04-2004, 08:37 PM
For those of you still voting for Konerko:

Stop wasting your time. You might as well not even vote. If Konerko gets more than 3% of the vote I'd be surprised.

AOEllis
07-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Whoever has more votes by 9:00 monday morning. I think this is the only way to do it. We need one of those guys in.

SouthSideHitman
07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
I know we already have a thread devoted to this, but I thought a poll would be instructive, as it would give a better sense of who was really getting the most support from WSIers, as people are more likely to do a poll than post.

AOEllis
07-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I just put one up a few minutes before you.

HomerCoach
07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Paulie will get no out-of-town votes, and some Philly fans are voting for Frank in return for Abreu votes.

HomerCoach
07-04-2004, 10:06 PM
WE MUST UNIFY, this 50/50 crap won't give us a chance. Vote Frank!

Cowch44
07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm all for Frank...He deserves it, Paulie deserves it too...but he'll be here for a longer time..

SouthSideHitman
07-04-2004, 10:15 PM
I just put one up a few minutes before you.
My bad, I didn't see it.

Frankfan4life
07-05-2004, 12:10 AM
I hope it's obvious who I'm going to vote for.

SoxBoy14
07-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Just a reminder to vote for Frank and Konerko for the All-Star game.

michned
07-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Just a reminder to vote for Frank and Konerko for the All-Star game.
I would suggest voting for one or the other. If Sox fans split their votes, neither will get in.

Also, I will be interested to see if Frank gets in. He is listed last on the ballot (alphabetical order) and the politicos will tell you the higher up on the ballot you are, the more votes you are likely to get from people who don't really have a preference among the candidates.

Ed

CHISOXFAN13
07-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I would suggest voting for one or the other. If Sox fans split their votes, neither will get in.

Also, I will be interested to see if Frank gets in. He is listed last on the ballot (alphabetical order) and the politicos will tell you the higher up on the ballot you are, the more votes you are likely to get from people who don't really have a preference among the candidates.

Ed
I remember last year the bond Brewers and Sox fans had while trying to get Thomas and Jenkins in.

Maybe we should bond with the fans in Philly or something to help Abreu's and Thomas/Konerko's cause.

I agree though. We need to pick one and concentrate on stuffing that ballot.

sox_fan_forever
07-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I think we should focus on Frank, but that's just me.

SouthSideHitman
07-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, I think the people have spoken and they have spoken for Frank. Let's all get behind him so we can overcome the cursed New Yorkers and get him on the team. On a similar note, I've been voting for Pierre for the NL, due to pro-Florida sympathies and will continue to do so unless I recieve word that we are trading votes with a another large NL market, so if anyone has done this, let us know.

*Edit - I just saw the Philly thread, so I'll go for Abreu. Again, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2004, 02:39 PM
For those of you still voting for Konerko:

Stop wasting your time. You might as well not even vote. If Konerko gets more than 3% of the vote I'd be surprised.
I'll remember not to "throw away" my vote next time I fill out a ballot in any election. That argument is moot.

Vote for who you think had a better half.

There are good arguments for both players.

I voted for Frank.

SOXit2EM
07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
If we want another player on the allstar team we better vote for frank! Non sox fans will most likely vote for him over konerko as he is a more recognizable name. if we split the vote neither will go!!!!!

soxwon
07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
please everyone vote pauly in not the big hurt. there is no dh in houston, paul has better numbers.
the two players for us pk-ft will cancel each other out.
Vote Konerko not Frank please.

whats the argument for Thomas over Konerko, id like to hear it?

SoxFan76
07-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Does ANYBODY bother to look at the other 1000 threads telling us to vote for Frank? Wow.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2004, 03:17 PM
please everyone vote pauly in not the big hurt. there is no dh in houston, paul has better numbers.

Honestly, I think there's a good argument for both. Personally, I voted for Frank because he's been driving runs in at a similar rate while getting on base more.

SOXit2EM
07-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Not everbody scrolls through ALL the threads! GOTTA GET THE POINT ACROSS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoxFan76
07-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Not everbody scrolls through ALL the threads! GOTTA GET THE POINT ACROSS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do, atleast the first page of posts.

MarqSox
07-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Paul doesn't have the national name recognition that Frank does. Paul CAN NOT win. Frank probably won't, but he at least has a prayer.

Voting for Paul at this point is like voting for a third party candidate. You can do it out of principle, great, but you're pretty much just wasting your time.

SoxFan76
07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Paulie has been great, no doubt. But what Frank lacks in RBI numbers, you have to remember his insane OBP and the amount of runs that he scores. Both men have been hitting the other way this year, but frankly (no pun intended) we all know who the better hitter is.

StepsInSC
07-05-2004, 03:34 PM

Frank's OBP .436, SLG .570, OPS 1.006
Paul's OBP .368, SLG .545, OPS .914

Better numbers how?

Long Live Frank Thomas!

OEO Magglio
07-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Frank's OBP .436, SLG .570, OPS 1.006
Paul's OBP .368, SLG .545, OPS .914

Better numbers how?

Long Live Frank Thomas!Exactly. You can contribute a lot of Pauly's rbi numbers to frank thomas. Frank is still the much better hitter.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Exactly. You can contribute a lot of Pauly's rbi numbers to frank thomas. Frank is still the much better hitter.
Hey wait a minute! What about the 3-6-3 double play??? :smile:

:jerry :ozzie
"That's what we've been trying to tell you!"

BigEdWalsh
07-05-2004, 03:46 PM

No matter about the no DH/NL park thing. Whoever might win is probably only get a pinch hitting appearance. Frank, after all these years and what he has done over his career not to mention way better numbers than Giambi THIS year, deserves to go.

VOTE FRANK!!!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :hurt :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

jackbrohamer
07-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Thomas is clearly the superior player so why would I vote for Knoerko over him? As for the DH it will certainly be obvious to Torre --- though not to any recent Sox manager-- that Thomas is an adequate fielding firstbaseman. As good if not better than Giambi, IMO

soxwon
07-05-2004, 03:52 PM
out of the five contenders pauly is best in hrs runs rbis and 3rd in average, he clearly stands out.
but if you feel vote frank ok i will.
but BASEBALL despises Frank thats why i say vote PK

OEO Magglio
07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
out of the five contenders pauly is best in hrs runs rbis and 3rd in average, he clearly stands out.
but BASEBALL despises Frank thats why i say vote PKIf baseball despises frank why was he second for first basemen in allstar voting? If your voting for pauly because you think he has a better chance to get the votes then frank, your nuts.

soxwon
07-05-2004, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=OEO Magglio]If baseball despises frank why was he second for first basemen in allstar voting? If your voting for pauly because you think he has a better chance to get the votes then frank, your nuts

SEALgep
07-05-2004, 04:07 PM
I really would like either one to get it, but I would vote for PK. However, I would not argue or disagree with the Hurt either. I just want one or the other. Despite the topic of who it should be, did anyone see in the Sun Times of Frank breaking his silence by pointing to PK in order to say he should be on the All Star team. How awesome is that. Appears that even if they had bad blood before, they respect each other as professionals. We had lengthy discussions about Frank's leadership ability, and I got slammed for saying I would like to see it more with people saying it's not his style or his job. Well, this is a perfect example of what I expected from Frank, and credit is due. Frank has been a pleasure this whole season, but this certainly adds to it. Great job Frank, way to step up for your mates. Didn't center himself, even though I'm sure he feels he deserves it, which he does. Still, he didn't mention himself, he pointed to PK. Leader. :bandance:

pinwheels3530
07-05-2004, 04:33 PM
I will vote Frank if everyone else does we need to put our votes together and get another sox palyer there!!!

pinwheels3530
07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
WE NEED TO PUT ARE VOTES TOGETHER AND VOTE ANOTHER SOX PLAYER IN IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S FRANK ARE PAULIE, BUT LET'S STOP WASTING VOTES CAUSE WILL JUST END UP SPLITTING THE ARMY AND WE WON'T WIN SO LETS ALL DECIDE AND VOTE ALOT FOR ANOTHER GREAT SOX PLAYER!!!!

EVERYONE STOP BEING SO DOWN ABOUT THIS WEEKEND LET'S VOTE!!!!

MODERATERS STICK THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE TOO!!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!:smile: NO MORE YANKEE'S PLEASE!!!!!

JRIG
07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
but BASEBALL despises Frank thats why i say vote PK
Frank has scored 15 more runs than Konerko.

rockfordsox
07-05-2004, 04:44 PM
WE NEED TO PUT ARE VOTES TOGETHER AND VOTE ANOTHER SOX PLAYER IN IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S FRANK ARE PAULIE, BUT LET'S STOP WASTING VOTES CAUSE WILL JUST END UP SPLITTING THE ARMY AND WE WON'T WIN SO LETS ALL DECIDE AND VOTE ALOT FOR ANOTHER GREAT SOX PLAYER!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!:smile: NO MORE YANKEE'S PLEASE!!!!!My vote goes to konerko. Also the weekend is in back of us. Look ahead to the SOX slowly but surely pull away from the divison.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2004, 04:49 PM

GO SOX!!!!!:smile: NO MORE YANKEE'S PLEASE!!!!!
All caps means you're shouting and it is very rude. Please touch your caps lock button once and go back to lower-case letters. Thanks.

Of course if you meant to shout at the rest of us...

munchman33
07-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Frank has scored 15 more runs than Konerko.
And is second in the A.L. in OPS, first in walks, and first in O.B.P.

Takatsufan
07-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Vote For Paul Konerko And Frank Thomas To Get Into The All-star Game On The Final Vote At The White Sox Official Site.

JRIG
07-05-2004, 09:19 PM
I'm going to close the voting so I can stick this on top of the threads with a new subject.

CWSGuy406
07-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Is it just me, or can you type in any 5 number combo for the Verification Key #? It makes things a lot easier for me, I just type in 55555 everytime and it still works. Is this happening to anyone else? It says thank you and stuff like that, so I'm assuming my vote is registering, but can someone else also try?

Jjav829
07-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Is it just me, or can you type in any 5 number combo for the Verification Key #? It makes things a lot easier for me, I just type in 55555 everytime and it still works. Is this happening to anyone else? It says thank you and stuff like that, so I'm assuming my vote is registering, but can someone else also try?
Those votes won't register. The number has to check to register the vote. Don't bother typing any number. Your better off wasting the extra 3 seconds to type the real number to get the vote counted.

nitetrain8601
07-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Frank and Abreu everyone. We already played let's make a deal. Let's not break it with the fine Philly fans.

Together we shall bring the the terror and reign of the two evil empires!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Deadguy
07-06-2004, 05:01 AM
I just saw an ESPN poll in which Konerko was actually leading all AL snubs with 29% of the votes, and Thomas was second to last with just 7% of the vote.

Of course, the only numbers they were showing were the triple crown numbers, so obviously the casual fan is going to look at that, and even without realizing that Thomas isn't an everyday 1st baseman anymore, is going to pick Konerko over Thomas.

I am a Konerko hater, but I really don't have a problem with him going to the game over Thomas. He's been solid and has finally stepped up and lived up to the potential that we expected and needed from him when we traded away a GG CFer for him 5 years ago, and gave him a fat contract two years ago. As far as their value to the team, I think it's pretty even with Thomas ahead in the new age stats of EQA, Runs Created, Win Shares, etc., but obviously the casual fan doesn't care about this, whether they know this or not.

Rocky Soprano
07-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Count me in. Im voting for Frank and Abreu.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-06-2004, 09:01 AM
I just click back on my browser, it saves me time and all I have to do is re-enter the new validation key. I can do tons of them a minute. :D:

akingamongstmen
07-06-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm voting for Frank and Abreu...again and again and again and again (it's a good thing that I'm bored at work today).:)

nlentz88
07-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Ok, so I've been voting for Frank and Bobby like crazy today. How many votes can I cast? Is there a limit?

akingamongstmen
07-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I was voting for awhile when I noticed that the same verification numbers were poping up repeatedly. It seems that the limit is in the neighborhood of 25-50. But I'm not sure.

quade36
07-06-2004, 01:33 PM
I say vote Paully because he IS THE SOX 1B and if the Sox have a player representing 1B it should be him. Frank is having a great season, but remember, one doesn't only make the allstar team for hitting. Fielding does matter, of course not to the extent of hitting, but nonetheless it still matters. PAULLY, PAULLY, PAULLY.....

Realist
07-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I voted for Frank and Abreu so many times that I think I'm gonna start seeing that green "vote again" button in my sleep.

:wired:

Rocky Soprano
07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I say vote Paully because he IS THE SOX 1B and if the Sox have a player representing 1B it should be him. Frank is having a great season, but remember, one doesn't only make the allstar team for hitting. Fielding does matter, of course not to the extent of hitting, but nonetheless it still matters. PAULLY, PAULLY, PAULLY.....
Why is it so hard to follow simple instructions? There was a poll and Frank won! If everyone is voting for Frank, why not help out? If the rest of us are voting for Frank there is no way that you are going to get Konerko in by yourself.

harwar
07-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I just saw an ESPN poll in which Konerko was actually leading all AL snubs with 29% of the votes, and Thomas was second to last with just 7% of the vote.

Of course, the only numbers they were showing were the triple crown numbers, so obviously the casual fan is going to look at that, and even without realizing that Thomas isn't an everyday 1st baseman anymore, is going to pick Konerko over Thomas.

They always show Frank in a bad light on espn. Today they are highlighting the fact that Frank has struck out in 13 consecutive games at least once.I mean what the **** is that?

Rocky Soprano
07-06-2004, 03:51 PM
They always show Frank in a bad light on espn. Today they are highlighting the fact that Frank has struck out in 13 consecutive games at least once.I mean what the **** is that?
I wonder how many consecutive games Sosa strikes out in? Hell it seems he strikes out at least twice a game.

HomerCoach
07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
It's news, although bad news, but news, when frank strikes out 13 games in a row. It's not news when Sammy does it, it's expected.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 05:25 PM
It's news, although bad news, but news, when frank strikes out 13 games in a row. It's not news when Sammy does it, it's expected.
ESPN loves to make fun of Frank Thomas. Even when someone says something nice about him, they always have come back immediately with something along the lines of "but he's only a DH," or "his average has slipped." It's really sad that one of the greatest players of this generation can't get any respect from the media. And they wonder why he won't talk to them.

petekat
07-06-2004, 05:49 PM
how are people doing with the voting? just voted 60 times using 3 addresses. Everyone do their part! After all, we managed to skew the Tribune all-city all star team, and also helped that Irish dude select the Sox game as game of the week.

Anyone know of some Cub site? maybe we can offer a deal to the Cubbie fans? In the meantime, voting Abreu-Thomas

Frankfan4life
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Frank and Abreu everyone. We already played let's make a deal. Let's not break it with the fine Philly fans.

Together we shall bring the the terror and reign of the two evil empires!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:I posted this on the other thread dealing with this subject. I went over to the Philliesphans.com (http://www.philliesphans.com/phorum/viewtopic.php?t=21541) board to make sure they were following through on their agreement to vote for Frank Thomas in exchange for our support of Abreu.

I'm not sure if they're giving Frank enough support over there. In fact, they have been trying to make similar deals with the Twins, Yankees, and Indians fans. Some of the Phillies are also voting for Konerko.

I don't mind voting for Abreu, but only in exchange for in-kind support. I'm not registered over there, but if someone here is, we need to get the message across to them that a vote for Frank is a vote for Abreu.

As for me, until I get those assurances, I'm going to start voting for Jason Kendall or Juan Pierre now.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I wish MLB.com would provide some sort of voting update so that we could see how things are going. As it is, we won't know until tomorrow if this worked or not.

Frankfan4life
07-06-2004, 07:13 PM
I wish MLB.com would provide some sort of voting update so that we could see how things are going. As it is, we won't know until tomorrow if this worked or not.Voting Update (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_com_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040706&content_id=790853&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp)
Matsui is in first place. Frank and Konerko are virtually tied for second. Ramirez and Abreu are tied for first.

MarqSox
07-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Voting Update (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_com_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040706&content_id=790853&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp)
Matsui is in first place. Frank and Konerko are virtually tied for second. Ramirez and Abreu are tied for first.If this doesn't confirm what we we've been saying ... VOTE FRANK, NOT KONERKO. Having Thomas finish first and Konerko finish 5th is far better than having Thomas finish second and Konerko finish 3rd.

compy75
07-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Sadly, the stubborness of Sox fans have cost Frank another spot most likely. The fact that they didn't comment on the distance behind Matsui makes me believe that it is a great deal. Sad imagine if all PK supporters were behind Frank....

SomebodyToldMe
07-06-2004, 08:09 PM
what if "the stubborness of Sox fans" cost Frank a spot, but instead give paulie a spot?

it's a possibility...hell, i just think that paulie deserves it more than frank does...that's my opinion.

MarqSox
07-06-2004, 08:21 PM
what if "the stubborness of Sox fans" cost Frank a spot, but instead give paulie a spot?

it's a possibility...hell, i just think that paulie deserves it more than frank does...that's my opinion.I think "stubborness" ought to be changed to "naivete." Paulie has as much chance of winning as Ralph Nader does. As a Gore/Kerry/Thomas supporter, I rue the lot of you that don't understand that.

Takatsufan
07-06-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm voting all night. If that's what it takes I'm doing it and suggest others should do the same. We need votes and lots of them. The people in Japan are all voting for Matsui. I know I was their last week. They all love him and are voting for him. We need to get Frank into the game. 0.

pinwheels3530
07-07-2004, 02:13 AM
I just vote a lot for Frank and Bobby I guess there is no limit how many times you can vote, I hope eveyone is doing their part.

SOXSINCE'70
07-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Who are we giving our votes to -- Thomas or Konerko? I'm going to suggest Thomas, but we need to decide NOW and give our votes exclusively to that person.

Also, who are we voting for in the NL -- we need to come up with someone instead of Aramis Ramirez. I'm going to go ahead and suggest Juan Pierre -- that way we can share the vote with our friends at www.marlinsbaseball.com (http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/).

Is this OK with everyone?

MOD EDIT:

Frank has won our unoffical poll. And we have an agreement with Phillies fans to vote for Abreu in exchange for their votes for Frank.

Go here to vote for Frank and Abreu (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/all_star/y2004/final_vote.jsp)
I voted for Konerko and Abreu 5 times and will do so at least 6 more times before 7:00 tonight when voting expires.:) :)

akingamongstmen
07-07-2004, 09:19 AM
What a bunch of garbage this last vote thing is...

Doesn't the presence of TWO Sox players indicate that we were unjustly snubbed? More importantly, why was it necessary to include Matsui on this ballot. He's having a good year, but not significantly better than many other guys. On top of this is the fact that the whole freakin' Yankees roster made the team (including TWO relievers). I get the feeling that Joe Torre knew exactly what he was doing when he put both PK and Big Frank on the ballot. The votes are being split (despite a strong effort to focus the voting), which means that Matsui will run away with the whole thing. :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 09:24 AM
This is exactly what we said was going to happen, folks. Those of you who voted for Konerko may screwed Frank Thomas out of an All Star spot. Way to go!

I don't think I need to say anything further. If those votes had gone to Frank, he might be winning right now. As it is, the Yankees stand a good chance of coming out on top... again.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2004, 11:45 AM
i voted a load of times for k-man. frank doesn't deserve it.

Rocky Soprano
07-07-2004, 11:46 AM
This is exactly what we said was going to happen, folks. Those of you who voted for Konerko may screwed Frank Thomas out of an All Star spot. Way to go!

I don't think I need to say anything further. If those votes had gone to Frank, he might be winning right now. As it is, the Yankees stand a good chance of coming out on top... again.

Amen. I cant believe some of you. :angry:

Tekijawa
07-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I wish MLB.com would provide some sort of voting update so that we could see how things are going. As it is, we won't know until tomorrow if this worked or not.
Then they couldn't FIX THE OUTCOME...

MarqSox
07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
i voted a load of times for k-man. frank doesn't deserve it.
Well done. Thanks to your support, Konerko will finish firmly in third place. Nice job.

DaveIsHere
07-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Keep pushing for frank, dont waste your vote on PK any longer the last thing we need is another Yankmee on the damn team

Soxzilla
07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Sorry I cast my vote for PK. He is def. more deserving in my eyes.:smile:

DaveIsHere
07-07-2004, 01:34 PM
OK be stubborn that way neither will get it (insert middle finger here)

eurotrash35
07-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Well we did a great job of perfectly splitting the vote. :angry:

SomebodyToldMe
07-07-2004, 01:45 PM

well thank you to all the people who voted for Frank because you may have screwed Paulie out of an All Star spot.

MarqSox
07-07-2004, 01:45 PM
It doesn't matter!!!! PK won't win, and thanks to you and the rest of the Konerko voters, neither will Frank. Konerko never had a shot at winning this, but Frank did.

I really thought Sox fans were smarter than this.

Foulke You
07-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I think this was MLB's plan all along. We almost got Maggs voted in over Veritek last year so they knew Sox fans were a threat to having an international star like Matsui NOT make the team. So they put BOTH Frank and Paulie on there to divide and conquer the South Side fanbase and assure their man gets in.

I love Paulie, but all my votes are going to Frank Thomas and Bobby Abreu. Frank will garner some casual voters while Konerko will only get voted on by Sox fans. A vote for Frank is the only way we're going to get another Sox player on the team and keep Matsui off.

the_valenstache
07-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Plain and simple; Paulie deserves it more than Frank.

If neither of them make it, oh well. I voted for the player who is having a better season, and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

I really thought Sox fans were smarter than this.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

You can throw all your OPS and OBS stats at me and they won't mean jack. Can someone dig up the stats on Frank with a runner on third and less than 2 outs again?

Organizing some coup of the All-Star voting is useless. I think it's pretty smart to vote for the player that you, as the voter, thinks deserves it. Making some blanket statement about Sox fans not being able to vote for who they deem necessary is, in my opinion, stupid.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 02:34 PM
I think this was MLB's plan all along. We almost got Maggs voted in over Veritek last year so they knew Sox fans were a threat to having an international star like Matsui NOT make the team. So they put BOTH Frank and Paulie on there to divide and conquer the South Side fanbase and assure their man gets in.

I love Paulie, but all my votes are going to Frank Thomas and Bobby Abreu. Frank will garner some casual voters while Konerko will only get voted on by Sox fans. A vote for Frank is the only way we're going to get another Sox player on the team and keep Matsui off.
Exactly. Paul Konerko doesn't have Frank Thomas' reputation, so he's not going get votes from casual fans who don't have a voting preference. Thomas will, and he still has a shot at winning this thing, but not if people keep voting for Konerko. As I told someone the other day, the voting has become a popularity contest. What better to get back at everyone for screwing the Sox than by using Frank's own popularity to win the vote.

No wonder the rest of Major League Baseball laughs at us. Our own fan-base is made up of factions.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Well done. Thanks to your support, Konerko will finish firmly in third place. Nice job.
It's called voting for the one that you feel should go. Paul or nothing.

But to use your reasoning maybe you wasted your votes on Frank instead of voting for paul. Thanks. Nice job. Well done. Way to go.

kjhanson
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
It's nice to see everybody's pride and loyalty towards Frank or Paulie. However, there are a few things that have to be taken into consideration. First off, although this is the largest community of White Sox fans on the internet, by no means is our voting going to be representative of every Sox fan's vote, or anyone else's vote for that matter. Thus, yelling at someone for voting for Paulie is seemingly unwarranted. There are plenty of other fans, too large a contigency as a matter of fact, that had to have been mobilized in order to vote for one or the other.

I'm not trying to say all of our votes here don't matter. All of my votes have gone and will continue to go to Frank. Instead of showing loyalty to Frank or Paulie, I'm showing loyalty to my Sox by voting the player that has the best chance of getting in. When the All-star game is played in a week, nobody's going to remember that a couple Sox finished second and third in the Final Voting. It'd just be nice to see another White Sox representative out there. Frank has the name recognition that Paulie lacks, which makes him the only legitimate candidate.

Rocky Soprano
07-07-2004, 02:41 PM

But to use your reasoning maybe you wasted your votes on Frank instead of voting for paul. Thanks. Nice job. Well done. Way to go.
The whole point is that we are supposed to stick together. Thats why there was a poll. Frank and NOT Paulie won the poll. Since Frank won the poll it was asked to vote for Frank, in the interest of getting another SOX player into the AS game.

Its pretty simple!

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 02:48 PM

As a Sox fan, you should know that it's a constant struggle for the Sox to get any kind of positive publicity. Getting Frank Thomas into the All Star Game would accomplish that end. The return of the Big Hurt to the Midsummer Classic would be a nice story for someone to write, and it would make the Sox look good. Nobody in the national media gives a **** about Paul Konerko. There are a number of people who don't even know he exists. Therefore, given the choice between Frank and Paulie, it has to be Frank. He is the Sox version of Babe Ruth. He is the face of the Chicago White Sox.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 02:49 PM
The whole point is that we are supposed to stick together. Thats why there was a poll. Frank and NOT Paulie won the poll. Since Frank won the poll it was asked to vote for Frank, in the interest of getting another SOX player into the AS game.

Its pretty simple!
I wonder if it's possible for all of the Konerko-sympathizers to be suspended from this board as a result of their going against the majority. :D:

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I think it's safe to say that the Sox army is no more. There are now only Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko armies.

the_valenstache
07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
As a Sox fan, you should know that it's a constant struggle for the Sox to get any kind of positive publicity. Getting Frank Thomas into the All Star Game would accomplish that end. The return of the Big Hurt to the Midsummer Classic would be a nice story for someone to write, and it would make the Sox look good. Nobody in the national media gives a **** about Paul Konerko. There are a number of people who don't even know he exists. Therefore, given the choice between Frank and Paulie, it has to be Frank. He is the Sox version of Babe Ruth. He is the face of the Chicago White Sox.

Yes and considering that Torre would have Frank pinch hit for someone in the 8th inning, with the subsequent strikeout he's sure to draw (as we are all aware of his tremendous pinch hitting accomplishments this season), the attention will again be focused on Frank being a washed-up superstar. Sorry to be realistic, but I don't think Frank's addition to the All-Star squad will draw any ripples in the national media, at least nothing significant to combat the tragic, unfair, biased, Sox-defaming, Cub-loving, life-ruining coverage we usually receive.

I simply believe Paulie deserves my vote, and could care less how the rest of the country goes.

Rocky Soprano
07-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Yes and considering that Torre would have Frank pinch hit for someone in the 8th inning, with the subsequent strikeout he's sure to draw (as we are all aware of his tremendous pinch hitting accomplishments this season), the attention will again be focused on Frank being a washed-up superstar. Sorry to be realistic, but I don't think Frank's addition to the All-Star squad will draw any ripples in the national media, at least nothing significant to combat the tragic, unfair, biased, Sox-defaming, Cub-loving, life-ruining coverage we usually receive.

I simply believe Paulie deserves my vote, and could care less how the rest of the country goes.
Paulie grounding into a inning ending double play when the American League team is down and needs a run is much better than seeing Frank strike out.

maurice
07-07-2004, 03:48 PM
All of my votes have gone and will continue to go to Frank. Instead of showing loyalty to Frank or Paulie, I'm showing loyalty to my Sox by voting the player that has the best chance of getting in. When the All-star game is played in a week, nobody's going to remember that a couple Sox finished second and third in the Final Voting. It'd just be nice to see another White Sox representative out there. Frank has the name recognition that Paulie lacks, which makes him the only legitimate candidate.
Well said . . . particularly when compared to the rather hollow "reasoning" of those who would waste the efforts of the majority of the Sox Army. A vote for Konerko is a vote for Matsui.

In addition, WSI recognizes the correct result. Thomas won the WSI poll, because he's a far better and more deserving player, both this year and in previous years. Even with Thomas slumping and Konerko hitting well, Thomas remains a more dangerous hitter than Konerko. That's why he gets walked so damn much, while opposing teams pitch to Konerko with RISP. Konerko has the added benefit of coming to the plate with Thomas already on base all of the time. As a result, Konerko has far more chances with RISP.

Category - Thomas - Konerko

OBP - .434 - .370
SLG - .563 - .556
OPS - .997 - .926
OPS w/ runners on - .954 - .816
OPS w/ RISP - 1.025 - .990
OPS w/ runners on & 2 out - 1.001 - .919
OPS close & late - .916 - .712
At bats - 240 - 268
AB w/ RISP - 66 - 80
Doubles - 16 - 10
HR - 18 - 21
AB / HR - 13 - 13
Runs scored - 53 - 39
RBI - 49 - 55
Runs + RBI - 102 - 94
Walks + HBP - 70 - 38
GIDP - 2 - 7

basilesox
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
I think it is useless. There is no way Matsui can be beat. With an entire country voting for him as well as the biggest MLB fan base, He is gonna win easily. Does anybody know if they are posting how close it is right now. Anywhere. All I see on mlb.com is that Ramirez and Abreu are in a dead heat for first and that Konerko and Thomas are tied for second with Matsui almost definitely running away with first.

the_valenstache
07-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Well said . . . particularly when compared to the rather hollow "reasoning" of those who would waste the efforts of the majority of the Sox Army. A vote for Konerko is a vote for Matsui.
All I hear is crying. It's ridicuously fickle to criticize one person's opinion about who deserves a vote, not to mention a complete waste of time. The only reason I'm even posting about this is because many people have said they voted Konerko, and have been subsequently chastised for their opinion. I must have been out for a smoke when the Sox Army recruiters came by, just like when they fought that historic Tribune All-City Team Voting Battle for the greater good of the oppressed masses.

Frankfan4life
07-07-2004, 04:51 PM

I simply believe Paulie deserves my vote, and could care less how the rest of the country goes.Paulie will not be going to the ASG no matter how many times you vote. There are far too many Sox fans and others who will be voting for Frank Thomas. Big Frank is my favorite player and I understand how difficult it might be for me to not vote for him under any circumstances. But, if there is a concensus for the greater good, I would have to buck up and take one for the "team."

You might be correct in your assessment of Frank and Paulie might be more deserving at this particular point in time. However, one thing is certain, Paulie will finish BEHIND Frank in the voting. Oh, and one more thing, you don't care.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 05:07 PM
All I'm going to say is this: when Konerko has his annual tail-spin during the second half, I don't want to hear single Konerko-voter complain about him. You have made your bed, and you are going to sleep in it.

maurice
07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
LMAO at folks who criticize people for having the gall to criticize other posters' "opinions." Unsupported "opinons" get shot down here all the time. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

The height of cub-dumb is to claim that Player A is better than Player B, because you "feel" that way. It's reminicent of the legions who claimed that Grace was better than Thomas . . . facts be damned!

munchman33
07-07-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm not criticizing people for wanting Konerko over Thomas. Nor am I angered that they would vote for him.

But do I think their stupid? Hell Yeah! They're letting their pride get in the way of the big picture.

"I really think Paulie deserves it more so I'll vote for him" Blow it out your ***

If you're really that stubborn and would put your minority opinion in the way of progress for the White Sox (i.e., another All-Star selection), then maybe you should reconsider where your loyalties lie.

Honestly, I'd expect that kind of selfish idiocy out of Cubs fans, but to see fellow Sox fans fall into to it, it makes me wonder whether some in the media may be right about us.

:moron
"Finally, someone's makin' sense!"

Chrisaway
07-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Theres a 1/2hour left to try and get him into the ASG. Lets go guys.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040706&content_id=790989&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I'd expect that kind of selfish idiocy out of Cubs fans, but to see fellow Sox fans fall into to it, it makes me wonder whether some in the media may be right about us.
That's exactly how I feel. Sox fans complain that the media doesn't take them seriously. Well, folks, this is why. A fanbase divided against itself cannot stand.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Well, we tried. It looks like the Yankees win again. Damn!

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Results will be on mlb.com at 8:00 PM central time. Honestly, I don't think either of our guys will be heading to Houston because sox army couldn't agree on who to vote for. :(:

samram
07-07-2004, 07:06 PM
It would have been one thing to see them both way behind, but they were tied for second. Ugh. Oh well, hopefully they will come out refreshed and motivated starting next Thrusday.

Chrisaway
07-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I voted like 70-80 times for frank and Abreu

the_valenstache
07-07-2004, 08:21 PM
That's exactly how I feel. Sox fans complain that the media doesn't take them seriously. Well, folks, this is why. A fanbase divided against itself cannot stand.
Actually, I think those that complain about the media bias are the venereal disease of this fanbase. Go out and support your team. I realize that, ultimately, good PR = more $ = better players = more championships, but crying about how only one Sox player made the team or how the Cubs always have the main headline or how nobody picks us to win the division...:whiner:

Who cares. Not having a player in the All-Star game does not help us or hurt us in winning games. Not being the media darlings of the city does not help us or hurt us in winning games either. The White Sox, as a team, are not going to be taken seriously until they actually prove themselves by winning; voting in these ridiculous online polls is not going to change anything. So if you want to criticize other Sox fans for petty stuff like this, then we can talk about who can blow it out their...

JohnBasedowYoda
07-08-2004, 09:20 AM

Its pretty simple!
Not to beat a dead horse but the poll was "for whom are you voting for?"