PDA

View Full Version : What this loss means to the season....

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Nothing....not a damn thing. Lotsa baseball left and we're still in first, last time I checked. Plus, help's on the way.

:hawk
I loooove big trades and having Magglio back!!!!!!!

voodoochile
07-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Nothing....not a damn thing. Lotsa baseball left and we're still in first, last time I checked. Plus, help's on the way.

I loooove big trades and having Magglio back!!!!!!!Thank you for being the voice of reason. I swear, some of these other posters should just slit their freaking wrists and get it over with already.

:threadrules:

harwar
07-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm just glad we don't any more damn inter-league games left,except for the make-up game against the phillies,and those games were fun.

HomerCoach
07-04-2004, 09:37 PM
A sweep without maggs and frank, in a NL park, means nothing. Let's focus on voting frank in.

mdep524
07-04-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm just glad we don't any more damn inter-league games left,except for the make-up game against the phillies,and those games were fun.
Agreed. These games in NL parks KILLED us.

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't think the Cubs advanced during this series, and if they did, it was only by one game.

You can take that two ways of course. One, we didn't really advance them or two, we blew a perfect chance to devastate them.

mdep524
07-04-2004, 09:42 PM

Damn right. PLUS, last year the Sox beat the Cubs 2 out of 3 in both series, and the Cubs made the playoffs. This year will be the reverse, and no one will be talking about these games when the Sox are playing in October.

munchman33
I don't think the Cubs advanced during this series, and if they did, it was only by one game.

You can take that two ways of course. One, we didn't really advance them or two, we blew a perfect chance to devastate them.
They did not. St. Louis swept Seattle.

woodenleg
I agree - NO WHINING! We have about sixty 'guests' lurking here - I'm sure they're enjoying all of the whining. We're still in first!

OEO Magglio
07-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Thank you for being the voice of reason. I swear, some of these other posters should just slit their freaking wrists and get it over with already.

:threadrules:Voodoo I for one am with you that we're still in first place and the sox should win the division but this loss hurts so damn bad. Getting swept by the cubs it just hurts, I never thought this would happen but the bats did their great disappearing act again and we need Maggs back. Oh yeah and maybe if ozzie would get our best bat off the bench that would help a little bit.

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 09:45 PM
The problem is that the Cubs now have a 2-3 game lead for the NL wildcard. That's a problem that most people here are overlooking, and, in my opinion, a very serious problem.

CubKilla
07-04-2004, 09:46 PM
This year will be the reverse, and no one will be talking about these games when the Sox are playing in October.
Except the Cub "fans."

voodoochile
The problem is that the Cubs now have a 2-3 game lead for the NL wildcard. That's a problem that most people here are overlooking, and, in my opinion, a very serious problem.
Why is that a problem?

Viva Magglio
I agree - NO WHINING! We have about sixty 'guests' lurking here - I'm sure they're enjoying all of the whining. We're still in first!
True. But a root canal is a delight compared to this.

mdep524
07-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah and maybe if ozzie would get our best bat off the bench that would help a little bit.
My only worry is that these three games might accelerate Big Frank's cold streak. Coming into Friday his average had already dropped like 30 points over the last two weeks...I hope this doesn't make matters worse.

Viva Magglio
07-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Why is that a problem?
Cubs in the playoffs. I'd say that's a problem.

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:48 PM
1. We played with piecemeal lineups all series and we've been in a little bit of a hitting slump. Every team has hitting slumps, and we've been going through this one while maintaining first place. Thank God Garland pitched such a gem the other day. We'll be heading back to that launching pad called US Comiskular to cure what ails us.

2. It looked like all series the Sox just wanted to get out of that hellhole. It's totally downplayable. The Cubs beat us by one game in this series, and we had a rook pitch two of 'em. Now, if we see them again down the road, we'll have a totally different look with Maggs back and some of the guys we'll probably get in the next couple of weeks.

3. Remember, we're not playing for the National League pennant. That crippling lineup crap is over until October. We've got a lineup that can hit the ball usually and we've got a pitching staff that will handle its business.

Smile Sox Fans....we're in good shape.

hsnterprize
07-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Voodoo I for one am with you that we're still in first place and the sox should win the division but this loss hurts so damn bad. Getting swept by the cubs it just hurts, I never thought this would happen but the bats did their great disappearing act again and we need Maggs back. Oh yeah and maybe if ozzie would get our best bat off the bench that would help a little bit. Same here...remember Dusty saying before last weekend's series that the only things that matter are what happens in October? Well, that still applies, but there's a catch to this. As of now, the Cubs and their fans have the bragging rights...it's as simple as that. Their team beat our team 4 out of 6 games, and there's nothing we can do about it but take it and move on.

The initial interaction with Cubs fans will be painful, but the time will pass. Like OEO said...it won't mean anything when the Sox make it to the playoffs. But...even though this is a "totally biased" website, you've got to tip your cap to the "other team"...even if it's full of beer and your pouring it on a Cubs fan's shoes in disgust. Give credit where credit's due...Rusch shut our team's bats down, and the Sox offense decided to take the holiday weekend off.

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:51 PM
The Cubs are a good team. Period. If we got swept by the Tigers, I'd be pissed. If you see a Cubs fan, ask them what place they're in. Period.

OEO Magglio
07-04-2004, 09:52 PM
The problem is that the Cubs now have a 2-3 game lead for the NL wildcard (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1). That's a problem that most people here are overlooking, and, in my opinion, a very serious problem.Homefish you're way to obsessed with the flubs. The problem in this series is the sox lost two games in the division to the twins not that the cubs gained ground in the wildcard race. I hate the cubs as much as anyone and I hate losing this series but the way your talking is like you only care because the cubs won not because the sox lost.

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:52 PM
True. But a root canal is a delight compared to this.
I beg to differ. My patients don't particularly like root canals.

tebman
07-04-2004, 09:53 PM
That's absolutely right. But losing the series to those weasels hurts, in a deep and visceral way. I'm dreading the told-you-so chorus and the smug head-nodding among the well-scrubbed bandwagon jumpers. That's what makes this tough.

(deep breath...) Okay. Now...let's take care of our division, pick up another pitcher and/or catcher and/or centerfielder and march on to October.

- tebman

Viva Magglio
07-04-2004, 09:54 PM
On the positive side, what was our best win so far this season?

On the negative side, what was our worst loss so far this season?

On the plus side, there are many candidates to choose from.

On the minus side, I'd say tonight with the opening day loss in KC a close second.

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh.....to add to my point about NL advantage. The Yankees got swept by the Mets after the emotional sweep of the Red Sox. It's unfair, but we'll be better suited for that by October.

Oh...we have to also address the Yankee factor. The Twins still have to play 'em several times. Yee hawww.. (rebel yell from a transplanted Northerner in Memphis, TN)

Jurr
07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Best win was either the Cleveland comeback or the pasting of Minnesota earlier in the year.

Biggest win so far would probably be the Garland 2-1 win this past week, though. In a time where the pitching has been suspect, Garland has been inconsistent in big games, and the division lead in the balance, we needed that game.

Biggest loss.....has to be the Seattle loss when Koch blew it. It sent us into a funk for a while. But, it will have a great impact considering Koch is gone now. Up 'til then, he'd been wild but still closing the games out.

woodenleg
07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
That's absolutely right. But losing the series to those weasels hurts, in a deep and visceral way. I'm dreading the told-you-so chorus and the smug head-nodding among the well-scrubbed bandwagon jumpers. That's what makes this tough.

(deep breath...) Okay. Now...let's take care of our division, pick up another pitcher and/or catcher and/or centerfielder and march on to October.

- tebman Who cares about the smug head-nodding? Doesn't it make you even more glad that you're not one of them? Be grateful that you're not so insecure that you need to act that way.

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Homefish you're way to obsessed with the flubs. The problem in this series is the sox lost two games in the division to the twins not that the cubs gained ground in the wildcard race. I hate the cubs as much as anyone and I hate losing this series but the way your talking is like you only care because the cubs won not because the sox lost.

They are both problems and both give me large amounts of displeasure.

voodoochile
07-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Cubs in the playoffs. I'd say that's a problem.
Well of course it is :?:

Sox fans should worry about their own team. All this crying and moaning and wailing and gnashing of the teeth is just silly...

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Who cares about the smug head-nodding? Doesn't it make you even more glad that you're not one of them? Be grateful that you're not so insecure that you need to act that way.

Oh come on. You mean to tell me you've never given crap to a Cub fan after a Sox win?

Jurr
07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Let the Cards take care of the Cubs and let us take care of Minnesota. That's where the focus should be.

voodoochile
07-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh come on. You mean to tell me you've never given crap to a Cub fan after a Sox win?
Light hearted trash talking among friends. Sure. ANyone who takes it more seriously than that needs their freaking head examined...

CJLove23
07-04-2004, 10:03 PM
<rubbing my temples trying to relax>

Ok, it's still early, lots more baseball. I think the best we can do is just shrug it off to all the flubs fans and ask what place they are in. Bring up last year's beat to the cubs, and say i thought that the sox don't matter to you. <sigh> it's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. We just need a better bullpen. Kudos to Buehrle for great pitching, and also to Lee forwiping those smiles off of the weasels faces for 10 minutes...GO SOX!! :smile:

HomeFish
07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Let the Cards take care of the Cubs and let us take care of Minnesota. That's where the focus should be.

The AL Central is a simple situation. The team with the better record at the end of the year goes to the playoffs, the team directly under them doesn't. All we need to do is dominate Minnesota and bam, we're playing in October and they're not.

However, the NL Central is a different question. The Cards can beat up on the Cubs all they want (and they have been) but we still need the Reds, Brewers, or Astros to step up and take the WC to keep the Cubs out of the postseason.

1951Campbell
07-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Thomas sat out. Jose sat out. Burly-mon pitched a freakin' gem. Marte had a rare bout of ineffectiveness. But it was still a close game, and we're still in first.

(Note to bi-polar Sox fans posting from their laptop on a ledge somewhere: yes, I know it's a tie for first.)

TomParrish79
07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Mark did pitch a great game. Not too worried about how the game came out, we're still in first place, gotta worry about the Angels now.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
I am very upset that the Sox got swept but like it or not the Cubs when healthy are a very good team. (How'd you like to have Rusch for the Sox 5th starter instead of Moe, Larry and Curly???)

The bottom line is this, the Sox got beat and frankly without Maggs, losing the DH, having the pitcher bat and having Diaz pitch in 33% of the contests, you have to consider the Sox fortunate to take two games.

Tuesday the Sox get their DH back and lose the pitcher batting, Wednesday Schowenweis is back so we can lose Diaz and I'm assuming Maggs is back by Friday and Seattle because if he isn't, then there's something more going on with that knee then folks are telling us.

But I will say this. I miss Chicago very much but I'm sure glad I don't live in the city tomorrow!

Lip

MrRoboto83
07-04-2004, 10:25 PM
The sweeping hurts of course, but we are still in 1st place, we have the twins number this year so far, lets just hope we can own the Tigers, cause 19 games are going with them. One way to get the Flubs down is simply say "Yeah The Cubs won this weekend, i am going to jump on the bandwagon too" just like everyone else in this city did last October. i love throwing Flub fans for a loop.

JB98
07-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Tuesday the Sox get their DH back and lose the pitcher batting, Wednesday Schowenweis is back so we can lose Diaz and I'm assuming Maggs is back by Friday and Seattle because if he isn't, then there's something more going on with that knee then folks are telling us. Lip
He needs a rehab stint. I sort of doubt Maggs will be back with the big club until the Sox go to Oakland after the break. Since the club is tied for first, there isn't much urgency to rush him back, I wouldn't think.

jackbrohamer
07-04-2004, 10:35 PM
I am very upset that the Sox got swept but like it or not the Cubs when healthy are a very good team. (How'd you like to have Rusch for the Sox 5th starter instead of Moe, Larry and Curly???)

The bottom line is this, the Sox got beat and frankly without Maggs, losing the DH, having the pitcher bat and having Diaz pitch in 33% of the contests, you have to consider the Sox fortunate to take two games.

Oh, please. They are 3 games out of first in a division that had 3 teams lose 95+ games last year. And Rusch couldn't buy a slot on any team as even a mop-up guy 6 months ago. The Brewers dumped him outright for cripes sakes. If he can win a few games for the scrubs fine; I don't want another Ken Hill-like reclamation project on the Sox.

And I have to agree that anyone who worries about a Scrub sweep should have their head examined. The Scrub fans shooting their mouths off will forget that the 2 teams even played a week from now. Look forward to all the moaning and new "curses" to explain how they fall short at the end of the year.

If that doesn't work, remember the three magic words: Nineteen. Oh. Six. We have bragging rights until they bet us in the world series so screw them.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Well I'm sure the worst is yet to come. The Cubs will get all the media attention, and columnists will write stories about lousy Sox Fans and lousy Sox Park, and how dangerous the neighborhood is, and ignore the murder that occurs on the other side of town by burying the story in the Metro section of the newspaper...

The next 3 months will look just like the last 3 months. Nothing has changed.
:smile:

Jerko
07-04-2004, 10:38 PM

They didn't gain on the Cards, but the way the NL is shaping up, the 2nd place team in the Central MAY be a lock for the wild card.

duke of dorwood
07-04-2004, 10:41 PM
You must consider that the Cubs are over 10 games above 500 with a slew of injuries we do not have the depth to have handled ourselves.

They were better in the Winter, Spring, and now, without Frank in the line up.

The depth is what seperates us-the moves made over the Winter when we did nothing.

REMEMBER THAT?

elrod
07-04-2004, 10:51 PM
I will still wear my Sox hat around Evanston tomorrow with pride.

OEO Magglio
07-04-2004, 10:53 PM
You must consider that the Cubs are over 10 games above 500 with a slew of injuries we do not have the depth to have handled ourselves.

They were better in the Winter, Spring, and now, without Frank in the line up.

The depth is what seperates us-the moves made over the Winter when we did nothing.

REMEMBER THAT?Yeah I also remember acquiring: Juan Uribe, Timo Perez, Shingo and Cliff Politte. Juan, Shingo and Timo have all been very good acquisitions and even Cliff Politte is starting to turn it around.

samram
07-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Thomas sat out. Jose sat out. Burly-mon pitched a freakin' gem. Marte had a rare bout of ineffectiveness. But it was still a close game, and we're still in first.

(Note to bi-polar Sox fans posting from their laptop on a ledge somewhere: yes, I know it's a tie for first.)
Good post. Being out of town, I can look at this without the fear of being harrassed by coworkers for the rest of the week. Let's face it- the Sox aren't built for NL parks. Luckily, they play in the AL. Maggs will be back soon enough and the Twinks just used up three more games against a giant suckfest of a team, and the Sox are still tied for first. The Twins will get theirs starting next month. They're the real competition- keep that in mind. The Cubs represent six extremely hyped games, no more, no less.

Iguana775
07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I am starting to think that either Paulie or Frank need to go. IMO, it should be Paulie. Not having Frank and Maggs in the lineup kills. If the Sox had a DH/OF type of player with Frank at first, the absent of Maggs and Frank would not be that much of a problem. It is hard to score when your 2 best hitters are not in the lineup.

Iguana775
07-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Mark did pitch a great game. Not too worried about how the game came out, we're still in first place, gotta worry about the Angels now.
Mark was dealing tonite. Now if Loaiza can get his head out of his rectum, the starting pitching will be a lot better looking.

btw, WHY was Shingo brought out in the 8th??!! And when i saw Jackson warming up, I about **** myself. Better Shingo than the human batting tee.

Cowch44
07-04-2004, 11:55 PM
I am starting to think that either Paulie or Frank need to go. IMO, it should be Paulie. Not having Frank and Maggs in the lineup kills. If the Sox had a DH/OF type of player with Frank at first, the absent of Maggs and Frank would not be that much of a problem. It is hard to score when your 2 best hitters are not in the lineup.Didn't Paulie used to be an OF...I think he did..idk....anyway, we could have an OF of Paulie/Maggs/Lee ....oh man is Konerko slow though...then we could try to get a good 1B and then Thomas can play 1st all NL games...

samram
07-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Didn't Paulie used to be an OF...I think he did..idk....anyway, we could have an OF of Paulie/Maggs/Lee ....oh man is Konerko slow though...then we could try to get a good 1B and then Thomas can play 1st all NL games...
Come on, you don't want to make changes like that just because the Cubs had a good weekend. All AL teams have to deal with it when they go to AL parks- it just so happens the Sox are more affected than most other teams. Still, 153 games are played in AL parks, and the Sox lead the league in scoring. My guess is that they have had four bad days offensively, and the Angels staff will probably have some problems this week at the Cell.

mdep524
07-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Didn't Paulie used to be an OF...I think he did..idk....anyway, we could have an OF of Paulie/Maggs/Lee ....oh man is Konerko slow though...then we could try to get a good 1B and then Thomas can play 1st all NL games...
Paulie was never an OF, at the major league level anyway. He has played C and 3B when he was coming up in the minors, but neither will ever happen again.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Jack:

Rusch may be a bum but he's 5-1 now....what are the Sox 5th starters again??

Duke:

Absolutely correct in your analysis about our depth.

Lip

Cowch44
07-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Paulie was never an OF, at the major league level anyway. He has played C and 3B when he was coming up in the minors, but neither will ever happen again.He played 18 games of LF and started 13 for the Reds and Dodgers in 1998:tongue:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5908/career

Jurr
07-05-2004, 02:02 AM
If you think we need to get rid of Konerko or Thomas, you need to get into rehab for that good stuff you're smokin' on. With Magglio back, we look like murderer's row!!!

We have the bats to slug with anyone, the pitching to hang with anyone in the AL, and we have a bullpen that's good enough most of the time. I'm not too damn worried about anything, including our performance in the NL parks.
Last year, when we could actually bring a lineup to Wrigley (plus Ordonez, I mean), we dominated them.
Let's break up the team because we lost a series.......

SomebodyToldMe
07-05-2004, 02:22 AM
What this loss means to the season....

it means that during it the cubs beat us 4 times out of 6.

and that just shouldn't happen...at all...ever.

period.

Cowch44
07-05-2004, 02:31 AM
If you think we need to get rid of Konerko or Thomas, you need to get into rehab for that good stuff you're smokin' on. With Magglio back, we look like murderer's row!!!

We have the bats to slug with anyone, the pitching to hang with anyone in the AL, and we have a bullpen that's good enough most of the time. I'm not too damn worried about anything, including our performance in the NL parks.
Last year, when we could actually bring a lineup to Wrigley (plus Ordonez, I mean), we dominated them.
Let's break up the team because we lost a series.......
I never said get rid of anyone...but if we ever made it to a WS it would be nice to play our Main Men every game.

fan_since_64
07-05-2004, 02:43 AM
I for one am glad our heroes have been slighted in the All Star selections. Perhaps it will put a chip on their collective shoulder and help inpsire them to prove the selectors (other players!) wrong! Besides, a break helps more towards making the post-season than an extraroad trip!

Cowch44
07-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Welcome aboard:redneck

samram
07-05-2004, 07:15 AM
I for one am glad our heroes have been slighted in the All Star selections. Perhaps it will put a chip on their collective shoulder and help inpsire them to prove the selectors (other players!) wrong! Besides, a break helps more towards making the post-season than an extraroad trip!
My sentiments exactly. Good first post.:D:

Mohoney
07-05-2004, 01:13 PM

- tebman

Kendall, Finley, Moyer

Whitesox029
07-05-2004, 07:22 PM

It means a loss of bragging rights until mid-September when we've clinched. That's about it. Since I have minimal contact with Cubs fans during this time of year, it doesn't really matter to me at all. This is like having been swept by Florida (even though we weren't) as far as I'm concerned.

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Damn right. PLUS, last year the Sox beat the Cubs 2 out of 3 in both series, and the Cubs made the playoffs. This year will be the reverse, and no one will be talking about these games when the Sox are playing in October.
My thoughts exactly. When it came to post-season time last year, how many of us were still gloating about 4 out of 6 when the sCrUBs were in the playoffs and the Sox were not? Certainly not I. That's why I think it's all the more important for the Sox to win the division this year, and have the sCrUBs fall short. Will we still hear the braying sCrUB fans by then? Maybe. Will it bother us any more? HELL NO!!!

SMO
:gulp:

red faber
07-06-2004, 12:58 AM

i agree!!!!!!!!!

yeah getting swept by the flubs sucks:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

but there's lots of baseball to be played.

let's pull ourselves together and support our team people!!!!

SouthBendSox
07-31-2004, 11:10 PM
that series, we can now see, was the beginning of the end:dtroll:

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 11:12 PM
that series, we can now see, was the beginning of the end:dtroll:Was it really necessary to bring this thread back?:dtroll:

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 11:26 PM
I like this thread better: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38147

:)

South Side
08-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I like this thread better: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38147

:)
Don't click on it...:mad:

SouthBendSox
08-01-2004, 01:21 PM
that was the beginning of the end though:dtroll: