PDA

View Full Version : Ballfield management

hawkjt
07-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I thought the umps did a bad job of dealing with the weather yesterday. Yea I'm biased but there really was no reason for the infield to get that wet was there? If they call for a stoppage asap knowing that the antiquated field there does not drain there is no reason for the infield to get that wet. Rooney said the tarp had holes in it and a bunch of water leaked thru around 2nd base. What is that about. That infield should be damn near bone dry if they react quick. There was plenty of time after the game was called to get 5 or 6 innings in if needed. They have radar dont they? How many times have you seen a game called due to field conditions not weather conditions? That field is substandard and they should be forced to rip it up and put some drainage in. Obviously I am a pissed off sox fan but why even have a tarp if the infield turns to mud anyway?

wolcott10
07-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I also heard that some parts of the field are not level. Is this true?

chisoxt
07-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Funny how the Cubs are so hot-to-trot about adding additional bleachers seats and a entertainment complex west of the stadium, but they seem to have little interest in spending the $ to bring their playing surface up to major league standards.

jabrch
07-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop bitching already. We lost. Had we been able to get more hits off of Maddux, it would have been totally different.

The umps had to call that game. I was there - the field was a wreck. The OF, the IF, the warning track - all a mess. Stop bitching and lets move on. It's not the umps fault - its not the cubs fault - IT RAINED.

dickallen15
07-04-2004, 01:57 PM
I thought the umps did a bad job of dealing with the weather yesterday. Yea I'm biased but there really was no reason for the infield to get that wet was there? If they call for a stoppage asap knowing that the antiquated field there does not drain there is no reason for the infield to get that wet. Rooney said the tarp had holes in it and a bunch of water leaked thru around 2nd base. What is that about. That infield should be damn near bone dry if they react quick. There was plenty of time after the game was called to get 5 or 6 innings in if needed. They have radar dont they? How many times have you seen a game called due to field conditions not weather conditions? That field is substandard and they should be forced to rip it up and put some drainage in. Obviously I am a pissed off sox fan but why even have a tarp if the infield turns to mud anyway?
The 3rd delay was the killer. The umps called it when it should have been called. Its just that from the time they called for the tarp, and the time the tarp covered the infield, it really poured, and the infield was drenched. I wish I could, but I can't fault the groundskeepers either.

Viva Magglio
07-04-2004, 03:14 PM
I agree that the umps did the right thing, but what does it say about Wrigley Field's playing surface? It sounds like it's poorly maintained. This would not have happened at USCF.

jabrch
07-04-2004, 03:18 PM
I agree that the umps did the right thing, but what does it say about Wrigley Field's playing surface? It sounds like it's poorly maintained. This would not have happened at USCF.
I wouldn't say poorly maintained - necesarily. Old, yes. But it is probably maintained as well as possible. It's not like we are talking about Veteran Stadium or anything like that - right?

HITMEN OF 77
07-04-2004, 03:26 PM
The umps knew they couldn't get that game in after the first delay, that's what bothers me. Playing an inning then stopping. Playing an inning than stopping. That's BS, just call the game in the second inning and have a double header today. Don't keep going til its an official game then call it. That's BS.

owensmouth
07-04-2004, 03:38 PM
I also heard that some parts of the field are not level. Is this true?
That's true. Most of the older ballparks were not level, because the idea was to let the rain drain off the field. That's why the view from the dugouts is so poor.

Purdue University developed their Prescription Athletic Turf, a variation of which the White Sox use at the Cell. It allowed the water to drain down and be pumped out of the park instead of just saturating the soil.

I am surprised that the Cubs don't improve the drainage at Wrigley. It would take an effort on their part, but they could tear out the surface and install a PAT system over the winter. Yes, it would be expensive, but they could make a real improvement there.

jabrch
07-04-2004, 04:21 PM
The umps knew they couldn't get that game in after the first delay, that's what bothers me. Playing an inning then stopping. Playing an inning than stopping. That's BS, just call the game in the second inning and have a double header today. Don't keep going til its an official game then call it. That's BS.
***** - Umps are supposed to do everything they can to get the game in. They did absolutely nothing wrong. We just got the short end of the stick. Sometimes that happens in baseball.

munchman33
07-04-2004, 04:52 PM
The real issue at hand is this: The umps called a game after it stopped raining, with a radar that indicated a playing window of about an hour and a half. I've never in my life seen that before.

If the issue was that the home team could not maintain their field, its on them. Otherwise, with the home team winning, what's to stop the ground crew from waiting longer to bring the tarp out, as well as doing a piss poor job of maintain the dirt's integrity. I'm not saying that this was the case here, but it could be.

IMHO, regardless of the home team, if the field isn't playable, the home team should forfeit, or the game should be completed on another date. If someone has a way of contacting Bud Selig (perhaps an mlb email address?), I'd like to share with him my thoughts on this. I suggest you all do the same.

SoxFan76
07-04-2004, 04:53 PM
You have to remember that the Sox probably have the best playing surface in the majors. After all, it is known as a Roger Bossard field. Only the best.

MrRoboto83
07-04-2004, 05:51 PM
it's funny how more and more problems getting attention of the urinal(what a dump)

hawkjt
07-05-2004, 12:02 PM
My point was not that they should not call the game- they had to with the infield in that condition. My question is why did they allow the field to get so wet? You call for the tarp on the first drop of rain would the field become a quagmire? I doubt it. The only time games are called is for all nite rains where there was no window to play the game. There was plenty of windows to get that game completed by reacting quickly with the tarp.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2004, 12:20 AM
My point was not that they should not call the game- they had to with the infield in that condition. My question is why did they allow the field to get so wet? You call for the tarp on the first drop of rain would the field become a quagmire? I doubt it. The only time games are called is for all nite rains where there was no window to play the game. There was plenty of windows to get that game completed by reacting quickly with the tarp.It went from sunshine to a monsoon in just a couple of minutes. They lost the field because it's old and doesn't drain, not because they didn't get it covered in time.