PDA

View Full Version : Rick Peterson Story

Lip Man 1
07-03-2004, 09:07 PM
This week in The Sporting News (with Curt Schilling on the cover) they have an interesting story on the work done by Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson.

Peterson worked magic with the A's 'big three,' and now has the Mets atop the N.L. in team ERA.

One wonders what might have happened if the Sox had kept him on the payroll. Jack McDowell said Peterson was the best pitching coach he ever had.

Does anybody know why the Sox let him go?

Lip

OEO Magglio
07-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Oh well, I like coop he's a very good pitching coach.

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Peterson >>>>> Coop

I read the article. The Mets don't have much outside of Glavine and Leiter, and they are TOPS in the league in ERA.

What an achievement.

Plus, I think Coop gets WAY too much credit. Did Coop tell Loaiza to throw a cutter? Did Coop tell Schoney to throw a cutter? Was Coop able to fix Koch? Has Garland really progressed from his Nardi days? Has Buehrle's ERA actually gone UP and his win total per season gone DOWN since Coop's hiring?

Not that Coop's the worst pitching coach in the league or anything, but he calls WAY too many fastballs in critical counts. I don't necessarily want Coop fired, but I think that he needs some help.

I would seriously consider giving Jack Morris a call and let him be an assistant. I think that he could DEFINITELY help tap the potential that our young arms (Diaz, Cotts, Adkins, and Rauch) have.

Brian26
07-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Plus, I think Coop gets WAY too much credit. Did Coop tell Loaiza to throw a cutter? Did Coop tell Schoney to throw a cutter? Was Coop able to fix Koch? Has Garland really progressed from his Nardi days? Has Buehrle's ERA actually gone UP and his win total per season gone DOWN since Coop's hiring?

I believe Coop has worked with Scho on developing his cutter.

I believe Garland has progressed immensely since the Nardi days.

As has been discussed ad naseum in the "We Got Garcia" thread, win totals don't mean a thing.

Koch seemed to be beyond repair. He has lost velocity on his fastball and doesn't have any control.