PDA

View Full Version : Time for a rule change

Whitesox029
07-03-2004, 09:18 PM
This 5th-inning-official rule must be changed ASAP by MLB. I realize it has probably worked for us in many past games, but rain-shortened wins do not feel quite right, and rain-shortened losses hurt like hell, especialy when we were mounting a comeback. Games should be suspended if need be to be picked up at that point another time. If it is the last game of the season series between the two teams, then it should be suspended indefinitely and used as a playoff determiner, but still continued from the point at which it was called. If any players in the game from either team have been traded, they should be replaced just as if they were simply taken out of the game. That would be the fair system.

1951Campbell
07-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I disagree. Every MLB team has been on notice for eons that this is the rule. It all evens out in the end. I'm more pissed about the grand slam, actually.

CWSGuy406
07-03-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't mind weather related rain-shortened games, but when the field is like a friggin' water-park because there's absolutely no drainage, then we have problems.

dickallen15
07-03-2004, 09:24 PM
They did change the rule a few years ago a little bit. If the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the half inning the game is called in, it does become a suspended game. It's a bad loss, considering the sun was shining for about 30 before they called it, and the rest of the game could have easily been played if the field was in better condition. But that's the breaks. Chances are, if they continued the game, the Sox would have still lost, and somebody might have gotten hurt.

Whitesox029
07-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I disagree. Every MLB team has been on notice for eons that this is the rule. It all evens out in the end. I'm more pissed about the grand slam, actually.Change is good. This is obviously an old-fashioned, outdated rule. When the rule was made, they did not have the means to keep the game going. Groundskeeping technology was bound to have been much less advanced. On top of that, there were no domed ballparks. Rainouts were very likely much more common. If every rainout had to be suspended to a later date, the World Series would have run into November every year. Now that we can limit the number of suspended games significantly, this rule must be change.

And by the way...Gload's ball was foul, and I'm sure you weren't complaining after his 2-run double.

Whitesox029
07-03-2004, 09:40 PM
They did change the rule a few years ago a little bit. If the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the half inning the game is called in, it does become a suspended game. It's a bad loss, considering the sun was shining for about 30 before they called it, and the rest of the game could have easily been played if the field was in better condition. But that's the breaks. Chances are, if they continued the game, the Sox would have still lost, and somebody might have gotten hurt.Are you telling me that you lost faith in this team with 3 innings to play and a 2-run deficit? Someone's forgetting who's near the top of the league in come-from-behind wins.....

Whitesox029
07-03-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't mind weather related rain-shortened games, but when the field is like a friggin' water-park because there's absolutely no drainage, then we have problems.I'm talking about continuing the game tomorrow in the 6th inning or whatever it was.

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 10:46 PM
This 5th-inning-official rule must be changed ASAP by MLB. I realize it has probably worked for us in many past games, but rain-shortened wins do not feel quite right, and rain-shortened losses hurt like hell, especialy when we were mounting a comeback. Games should be suspended if need be to be picked up at that point another time. If it is the last game of the season series between the two teams, then it should be suspended indefinitely and used as a playoff determiner, but still continued from the point at which it was called. If any players in the game from either team have been traded, they should be replaced just as if they were simply taken out of the game. That would be the fair system.
You sound like the Cubs fans after we won a rain shortened game against them (see my post in another thread). Forget it!

1951Campbell
07-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Change is good. This is obviously an old-fashioned, outdated rule. When the rule was made, they did not have the means to keep the game going. Groundskeeping technology was bound to have been much less advanced. On top of that, there were no domed ballparks. Rainouts were very likely much more common. If every rainout had to be suspended to a later date, the World Series would have run into November every year. Now that we can limit the number of suspended games significantly, this rule must be change.

And by the way...Gload's ball was foul, and I'm sure you weren't complaining after his 2-run double.
Groundskeeping technology? Get the **** outta here. What's groundskeeping technology? Kitty litter? Feh. Rules are rules. Don't piss away 100+ years of baseball tradition and rules just because we lost. We'll live to fight another day. Believe it.

dickallen15
07-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Are you telling me that you lost faith in this team with 3 innings to play and a 2-run deficit? Someone's forgetting who's near the top of the league in come-from-behind wins.....
I didn't lose faith. Chances are, however, they would have lost. Besides, they had their chances to take the lead, and had to know after 2 or 3 delays that chances were, the game wouldn't be played in its entirety. The thing that really bugs me though was the game was called when the sun was shining bright, although you can't fault the grounds crew. The PA announcer said weather conditions were deteriorating. It was sunny for 30 minutes prior to the game being called. It was bright sunshine for 45 minutes after the game was called. There was a very light drizzle for about 30 minutes after that, and then nothing. Evidently, the field was in horrible shape. They said it was just about unplayable after the 3rd delay.

Whitesox029
07-03-2004, 11:03 PM
You sound like the Cubs fans after we won a rain shortened game against them (see my post in another thread). Forget it!Well that certainly brought me back to my senses......I had forgotten all about that......I have been under a little mental pressure all day that may have caused me to act like that...see the harrowing tale of my day..I think over in the thread about Fox's joining the media bias.

NorthSideDroolz
07-04-2004, 03:39 AM
You wouldn't have said that if the Cubs were on the other end. You'd be loving that rule.

jabrch
07-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Don't change the rules - we just have to hit better. Geez....

Lots of IFS on that game..

IF Diaz didn't **** the bed in the first inning...

If We had a few more ABs...

If Frank played...

Whatever...we lost

Move on - lets get on on the 4th.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2004, 02:00 PM
I did find one thing interesting about all this and maybe there is some sort of rule preventing umpires from discussing certain areas but on Friday Charlie Reliford as crew chief, would not discuss the overturning of Ross Gload's ball (and I think it was foul) but he discussed at lenght Saturday the reasons why the ended the game.

By the way, I've known Charlie since he and I went to the University of Kentucky together, we played basketball together a lot (have pictures of that) and I think he's an outstanding umpire.

Lip

knocko94
07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Groundskeeping technology? Get the **** outta here. What's groundskeeping technology? Kitty litter? Feh. Rules are rules. Don't piss away 100+ years of baseball tradition and rules just because we lost. We'll live to fight another day. Believe it.
Groundskeeping technology like drainage systems under fields.

Get a clue.