PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Moyer

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Would anybody here like to see a Moyer-for-prospects deal?

If Moyer could be had for prospects, and the big-league roster wouldn't incur any losses, our rotation would have 4 guys that I would be VERY confident in, regardless of order.

This sounds WAY better than that "trade Maggs for Ortiz & Jones" crap.

Last I checked, Moyer's ERA is better than Ortiz's, even WITH Ortiz being in the NL.

What is the fascination with Russ Ortiz?

Cowch44
07-03-2004, 08:23 PM
NO!
No prospects for a guy that I think is older than Ozzie.

SEALgep
07-03-2004, 08:24 PM
I think any team wouldn't mind adding him to their rotation. However, Seattle doesn't really want to deal him, and even if they did, it seems he would veto any trade that wasn't the Yanks. If the situation changed, I surely would like to add him.

OEO Magglio
07-03-2004, 08:27 PM
I'd love to add jamie moyer but bavasi has stated numerous times that moyer won't be traded.

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I'd love to add jamie moyer but bavasi has stated numerous times that moyer won't be traded.

What exactly is Seattle holding on to? Why wouldn't Bavasi give Moyer a chance at a ring?

Unless it's Moyer who is vetoing trades, which is a distinct possibility considering his family situation and community ties.

I just thought that giving Moyer a chance for a ring would persuade him to come here.

OEO Magglio
07-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Mohoney, I'm not positive about this but I believe bavasi said something along the lines of dan wilson, edgar, and moyer are 3 guys he won't trade because they're just part of the mariners and they're part of the community and basically they're part of the city and the franchise. Like I said I would absolutely love to have Jamie if bavasi would be willing to trade him.

Soxzilla
07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
The other day I was watching a short special on John Smoltz who was proclaiming he would be interested in being traded to a team that has a chance at the world series, IF he can land a starting job.

He might be old...but he's smoltz.:bandance:

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Mohoney, I'm not positive about this but I believe bavasi said something along the lines of dan wilson, edgar, and moyer are 3 guys he won't trade because they're just part of the mariners and they're part of the community and basically they're part of the city and the franchise. Like I said I would absolutely love to have Jamie if bavasi would be willing to trade him.

So it's kind of like Unit's situation in the desert? Colangelo suggested that Unit would be kept as a reward to the fans, so that he can retire as a Diamondback and that the fans can see him pitch another 50 or so times.

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 08:54 PM
The other day I was watching a short special on John Smoltz who was proclaiming he would be interested in being traded to a team that has a chance at the world series, IF he can land a starting job.

He might be old...but he's smoltz.:bandance:

We use him as a closer this year, and promise him a spot in our rotation in '05.

Soxzilla
07-03-2004, 09:07 PM
We use him as a closer this year, and promise him a spot in our rotation in '05.
Or we put him in the rotation through 05 and send schoe meister into the pen. I'd feel safer with schoe as our long relieve than rauch.

And schoe hasn't exactly been kicking ass and taking names prior to his injury.

Also, shingo is perfect so far, why mess with success?

IT'S SHINGO TIMMMMEE!:dtroll: :dtroll:

VenturaSoxFan23
07-04-2004, 09:16 AM

If Moyer could be had for prospects, and the big-league roster wouldn't incur any losses, our rotation would have 4 guys that I would be VERY confident in, regardless of order.

Last I checked, Moyer's ERA is better than Ortiz's, even WITH Ortiz being in the NL.

1) I'd love to see Jamie "come home". He keeps a notebook and studies all the tendencies of every player he's ever pitched against. However, we've already took Freddy away from them. I don't think even Kenny has the nerve to go back to Seattle and bargain away another one of their star players.

2) The fasination with Russ Ortiz is only based on the ability to re-sign him for a cheap, long-term deal after the season. I never understood it, either. I always thought you had to produce before being given an extension. :D:

gosox41
07-04-2004, 10:56 AM

Russ Ortiz=RIck Helling

Bob

HITMEN OF 77
07-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Moyer is only a good pitcher when there is an umpire with a large strike zone giving him the outside corner. If he doesn't get the corner, he's forced to pitch inside and gets shelled. Not worth a squat.

Mohoney
07-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Moyer is only a good pitcher when there is an umpire with a large strike zone giving him the outside corner. If he doesn't get the corner, he's forced to pitch inside and gets shelled. Not worth a squat.

He must get those umps an awful lot, then. The guy is 119-57 since 1997, with an ERA of above 4 only once in that span.

Since 1999, Ortiz is 92-53 and Moyer is 87-43. Moyer has posted an ERA under 3.5 three times in this span, Ortiz has done it only once.

Granted, Ortiz posted a great season last year, going 21-7 with an ERA of 3.81. However, Moyer also went 21-7, and his ERA was 3.27, over a half a run lower.

I know that Ortiz is signable long-term, but the future means nothing to me. We need to go all-out and try to win THIS YEAR, before the Cleveland and Detroit rebuilding projects leapfrog us. This is the last feasible chance that we will have to win for some time.

I think that trying to snab Moyer for prospects is a WAY better move for 2004 than trading Maggs for Jones and Ortiz.

However, if Ortiz could be had for prospects, and Bavasi holds true to his word that Moyer won't be shopped, I wouldn't be opposed to that move, either.