PDA

View Full Version : If the situation were reversed, what would a Cubbie fan say about today's game?

DrCrawdad
07-03-2004, 07:52 PM
* After the first inning Diaz pitched very well.
* The Sox were on the verge of coming back to win when the game was called.
* The home plate ump gave Maddox way too large of a strike-zone meanwhile the ump squeezed Diaz and Adkins leading to at least one homerun, that of SamMe Sosa.
* Maddox now has a career ERA of 11.25 against the Sox, good thing for him the ump was in his corner today.

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 08:08 PM
The situation would NEVER HAVE BEEN reversed. If we would have put up a 5 run 6th, you can GUARANTEE that this game would have started back up.

MLB's hard-on for this Boston-North Side World Series is getting to the point of repetitive.

God bless Milwaukee & Tampa Bay! PLEASE let these teams finish in 2nd!

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2004, 08:43 PM
* The home plate ump gave Maddox way too large of a strike-zone meanwhile the ump squeezed Diaz and Adkins leading to at least one homerun, that of SamMe Sosa.
* Maddox now has a career ERA of 11.25 against the Sox, good thing for him the ump was in his corner today.
What would they say? They'd use the same has-nothing-to-do-with-anything comment they always use: "Well, at least our attendance doesn't suck!"

Soxzilla
07-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Doesn't change the fact that we lost. Fact of the matter is, the cubs scored more runs than us in less innings, thus we lost. No reason to bitch about anything because noone would know the outcome of the game had it gone on.

I'm also quite thankful that they did call it, because I'd rather take one loss and have all healthy players than losing more done the road when one of our star players goes down with an injury running on the wet grass or infield.

And if you look on the bright side....it's rusch vs Buerhle tommorow:).

:dtroll:

brewerfan
07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Would you rather have a win today and no Carlos Lee, or a loss and Carlos Lee? That's what it boils down to.

Soxzilla
07-03-2004, 09:08 PM

Tough choice.

How long is he injured?

:o:

1951Campbell
07-03-2004, 09:13 PM
To be fair, what home team wouldn't weasel a win out of rain? C'mon guys...goose...gander. I would only hope that the Sox ground crew would lollygag enough to ruin the Cubs' bullpen mound like the Cubs' ground crew did today.

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 09:44 PM
During the rain shortened game several years ago that we won, Cubs fans were calling the score bitching about the rule that says a game is official after 5 innings. They wanted the rule changed just for them.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2004, 10:02 PM
During the rain shortened game several years ago that we won, Cubs fans were calling the score bitching about the rule that says a game is official after 5 innings. They wanted the rule changed just for them.
Cubs fans bitch about anything and everything that doesn't go their way. Rather than admit that their organization sucks, Cubs fans blame their team's history of losing on a farm animal. And last season, I distinctly remember a few Cubs fans saying that someone planted the corked bat in the Cubs dugout, just so Sosa would get caught with it.

I'm really looking forward to the day when the Sox win the World Series. The Cubs will be finished once that happens.

NorthSideDroolz
07-04-2004, 02:32 AM
We were lucky that the game ended how it did, but you guys had the same amount of chances to bat as the Cubs. That's how baseball works sometimes.

Vsahajpal
07-04-2004, 05:17 AM
I won't even front; it is likely the Sox would've won if the game carried on, but thems are the breaks, and it is high time we got a break. It sucks that it came at the expense of the Sox, but so be it. The Sox will cruise the rest of the way. We won't.

DrCrawdad
07-04-2004, 05:30 AM
I won't even front; it is likely the Sox would've won if the game carried on, but thems are the breaks, and it is high time we got a break. It sucks that it came at the expense of the Sox, but so be it. The Sox will cruise the rest of the way. We won't.

Wow, cheer-up there Vsahajpal!

http://images.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2003-05/7622751.jpg
(Maddux) had been sitting for 59 minutes during the third rain delay, when groundskeepers did just about everything except begin the bleacher expansion project.

Seems as though Cub brass wanted to make sure that rain ended the game too. Either way, I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. I remember last year a Cardinal right fielder was seriously injured at Wrigley during a foul weather day.

Vsahajpal
07-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Wow, cheer-up there Vsahajpal!

Seems as though Cub brass wanted to make sure that rain ended the game too. Either way, I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. I remember last year a Cardinal right fielder was seriously injured at Wrigley during a foul weather day.

Call me Vic :)

Eli Marerro...the only thing I can think of is that the Cubs-Cards game wasn't yet "official"

Still, that was freakin' pathetic.

Another (viva-ish) thought, they wanted to prolongue (sic???...I dunno..pardon my inebriation) the game until beer sales were suspended (7th inning?).

DrCrawdad
07-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Call me Vic :)

Eli Marerro...the only thing I can think of is that the Cubs-Cards game wasn't yet "official"

Still, that was freakin' pathetic.

Another (viva-ish) thought, they wanted to prolongue (sic???...I dunno..pardon my inebriation) the game until beer sales were suspended (7th inning?).

Yeah Vic, that's who it was Eli. I was at the home of a friend of mine, a Cub fan BTW, and we watched that game. The weather that day was worse than yesterday with wind that made any fly ball nearly impossible to catch.

I got attacked for posting this in a Cub forum, but I couldn't believe that Dusty trotted out Maddux yesterday after rain delay number 79.

Vsahajpal
07-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Yeah Vic, that's who it was Eli. I was at the home of a friend of mine, a Cub fan BTW, and we watched that game. The weather that day was worse than yesterday with wind that made any fly ball nearly impossible to catch.

I got attacked for posting this in a Cub forum, but I couldn't believe that Dusty trotted out Maddux yesterday after rain delay number 79.

Right! And you say "cheer up." The same thing happend with Lieber in 2001. I believe it was during a game with the Reds. There was an hour plus rain delay and Don Baylor left Lieber in the game...he was never the same ther rest of the year and wound up undergoing TJS and missing a season (costing Liebs millions in the process).

Hell, he left Prior in after the infamous Giles collison (they fired Dave Tumbas...sad); Prior was then disabled.

Same thing happened with Zambrano on Friday.

DrCrawdad
07-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Right! And you say "cheer up." The same thing happend with Lieber in 2001. I believe it was during a game with the Reds. There was an hour plus rain delay and Don Baylor left Lieber in the game...he was never the same ther rest of the year and wound up undergoing TJS and missing a season (costing Liebs millions in the process).

Hell, he left Prior in after the infamous Giles collison (they fired Dave Tumbas...sad); Prior was then disabled.

Same thing happened with Zambrano on Friday.

You've got a point there. If you haven't already, read Phil Roger's column today. Phil talks about the Lieber incident.

If either Zambrano or Maddux goes on the DL in the near future, Cub fans should remember what Dusty did this weekend. 'Win the battle, lose the war...'

Vsahajpal
07-04-2004, 06:21 AM
You've got a point there. If you haven't already, read Phil Roger's column today. Phil talks about the Lieber incident.

If either Zambrano or Maddux goes on the DL in the near future, Cub fans should remember what Dusty did this weekend. 'Win the battle, lose the war...'

Heh, I hadn't read Rogers columns (and I don't regulary...sorry progers). Z just hasn't been right since Baker extended him to 121 pitches during a blowout prior to the inital series with CWS. Meanwhile stupid Chicago beat writers credit Z's problems to his "type A" personality...

samram
07-04-2004, 07:26 AM
I wonder if at some point MLB won't at least suggest to the Cubs that perhaps the drainage system be updated. I don't know how much it would have helped yesterday as I don't know how much rain there was or for how long it rained. However, a better system would allow for games to be played in better conditions when rain stops. The Cardinal game from last Labor Day and yesterday's game, which they had to do everything possible to make official, were played on an almost unplayable field. Both teams are lucky no one got hurt yesterday- imagine the ado if Sosa tears a hammy when running in on Crede's pop-up. People that call that place a "shrine" or the greatest park in the world have exceedingly low standards.