PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July White Sox Winner = Essential

Viva Magglio
07-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I am not in panic mode, but I don't have a good feeling about today's game at the Shrine. Assuming that we go on to lose, it puts incredible pressure upon us to win tomorrow night's game. We cannot allow the Cubs to sweep us; such an occurrence would be nothing short of an extreme embarrassment on several fronts.

First of all, it would hand the season series to the Cubs. Like you, I do not want to go through a year of them chriping over that. True, winning the division (and going further) would help offset that, especially if the Cubs fail to make the playoffs. However, I do not want the Cubs to enjoy any kind of superiority over us.

Second, I hope a sweep at the hands of the Cubs does not reverberate in future series. In other words, I don't want us to go into a corpseball tailspin. However, I do not think Ozzie Guillen would let that happen. In fact, he would probably be so pissed off if the Cubs sweep us that he would put the eternal fear of God in the clubhouse. That is unlike Jerry Manuel, under whom a bad loss or worse led to at least a week of corpseball.

And finally, there is my that collection of feces known as the media. I do not need to reiterate in this post how much they hate us. You know they would love nothing more than us getting swept by their beloved Cubbies, whom they are in bed with. Our failure coupled with Cubs success is the media's biggest wet dream.

So on Sunday, GO SOX!!!

pudge
07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
People really need to chill out regarding the cross-town series. It's just a gimmick that shouldn't even be played six times a year. I'll start worrying when the Cubs are knocking on the door to the World Series, which is a very likely possibility.

LASOXFAN
07-03-2004, 07:09 PM
People really need to chill out regarding the cross-town series. It's just a gimmick that shouldn't even be played six times a year. I'll start worrying when the Cubs are knocking on the door to the World Series, which is a very likely possibility.
I agree with you, this six game stuff is crap. Switch parks every year and play just once.

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I agree with you, this six game stuff is crap. Switch parks every year and play just once.
That's what I've been saying. Only problem is, when the series is up north, JR & MLB will miss out on 3 guaranteed sellouts they would have seen at USCF. Money always talks.

On a sensible note, though, it seems silly to play any NL team as many times as we face a lot of AL teams, crosstown rival or not.

mmmmmbeeer
07-03-2004, 07:40 PM
We've proved we can't win in NL parks without Maggs or an all star caliber sub. So goes it. Who cares?

I don't see this series starting a tailspin in the least. I could actually see this series putting us on an offensive tear like we haven't seen yet this season.

brewerfan
07-03-2004, 07:41 PM
MLB has stopped doing 2 rivals series to some extent. The Cards only played the Royals once, and I only got to see the Twins once. I think they are going to keep the marquee series, but ditch the ****ty ones.

jabrch
07-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I'd like to win them all. I think every game is important. However, I don't think that this next game is any more important than any other. Like I said, I'd rather sweep the Twins and lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs than have it the other way around.

I'd really like to win tomorrow. If not - that sucks - but no more than losing almost any other game...

Rudy Law
07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
I totally agree. Going into the series, the only game I felt good about was Sundays. If they win great, if they lose, its all good. We come back with FREDDY on Tuesday against a struggling Angels team.

We just didn't have good pitching match-ups this weekened.

SEALgep
07-03-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd like to win them all. I think every game is important. However, I don't think that this next game is any more important than any other. Like I said, I'd rather sweep the Twins and lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs than have it the other way around.

I'd really like to win tomorrow. If not - that sucks - but no more than losing almost any other game...Agreed. The Twins series was more important. I would really like to win tomorrow though.

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
If we win tomorrow:

That puts us at 4-2 on this road trip, and 6-3 in these 9 games.

3 vs. CHC
3 @ MIN
3 @ CHC

If someone would have sat me down after the split against Cleveland and told me that we would go 6-3 in these 9 games, I would have been ecstatic.

I'll gladly take a season split against the Cubs if I can SWEEP in the Metrodome and still be in FIRST PLACE when we start a 6 game homestand.

I don't think that we should start panicking unless we lose tomorrow. If we lose tomorrow, then I would say that we need a 5-1 homestand to redeem ourselves.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2004, 10:02 PM
The two series with the Cubs also is a factor in 'strenght of schedule' you can say.

It causes problems when trying to balance interleague games out. While the Sox play the Cubs twice for example, MLB has to figure out who the other teams in the division can play to equal the number of games. This year Minnesota got the Mets while the Sox got that additional series with the Cubs.

Lip

Mohoney
07-03-2004, 11:24 PM
The two series with the Cubs also is a factor in 'strenght of schedule' you can say.

It causes problems when trying to balance interleague games out. While the Sox play the Cubs twice for example, MLB has to figure out who the other teams in the division can play to equal the number of games. This year Minnesota got the Mets while the Sox got that additional series with the Cubs.

Lip

It was even worse than that, Lip.

Our interleague schedule:

3 vs. PHI
3 vs. ATL
3 @ FLA
3 @ MON
3 vs. CHC
3 @ CHC

The Twins interleague schedule:

3 vs. NYM
3 vs. PHI
3 @ MON
3 @ MIL
3 vs. MIL
3 @ AZ

We play the Marlins in Florida while the Twins play the Diamondbacks in the desert.

Unfair, to say the least.

voodoochile
07-04-2004, 02:20 AM
I am not in panic mode, but I don't have a good feeling about today's game at the Shrine. Assuming that we go on to lose, it puts incredible pressure upon us to win tomorrow night's game. We cannot allow the Cubs to sweep us; such an occurrence would be nothing short of an extreme embarrassment on several fronts.

First of all, it would hand the season series to the Cubs. Like you, I do not want to go through a year of them chriping over that. True, winning the division (and going further) would help offset that, especially if the Cubs fail to make the playoffs. However, I do not want the Cubs to enjoy any kind of superiority over us.

Second, I hope a sweep at the hands of the Cubs does not reverberate in future series. In other words, I don't want us to go into a corpseball tailspin. However, I do not think Ozzie Guillen would let that happen. In fact, he would probably be so pissed off if the Cubs sweep us that he would put the eternal fear of God in the clubhouse. That is unlike Jerry Manuel, under whom a bad loss or worse led to at least a week of corpseball.

And finally, there is my that collection of feces known as the media. I do not need to reiterate in this post how much they hate us. You know they would love nothing more than us getting swept by their beloved Cubbies, whom they are in bed with. Our failure coupled with Cubs success is the media's biggest wet dream.

So on Sunday, GO SOX!!!
Oh no, an embarassment...

Heaven forbid this team ever let you down, viva.

Nice and slow, one more time..

one-hundred

and

sixty-two

games...

It's a lot to ponder and it's hard to actually fathom and it kind of gets frustrating from time to time, but it's baseball...

jabrch
07-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Oh no, an embarassment...

Heaven forbid this team ever let you down, viva.

Nice and slow, one more time..

one-hundred

and

sixty-two

games...

It's a lot to ponder and it's hard to actually fathom and it kind of gets frustrating from time to time, but it's baseball...
Nice post VC. Sometimes I wonder if people have ever seen a full aseball season before? The Mets just won 2 of 3 vs the Yankees. I don't imagine Yankee fans are jumping off the cliff. They just swept the Red Sox in a three game set and are in first place. That's far more important. Let's go out there and win today, and not worry about this nonsense.

It's been a good season so far and there is much promise for the rest of it. This team is built well to win - both in the regular season and in the post season. And I don't think Kenny Williams is done.

DrCrawdad
07-04-2004, 11:55 AM
MLB has stopped doing 2 rivals series to some extent. The Cards only played the Royals once, and I only got to see the Twins once. I think they are going to keep the marquee series, but ditch the ****ty ones.

"BrewerFan," time to answer a few questions...

Are you a fan of the White Sox?
Are you a Cub fan?
Are you a troll?

MrRoboto83
07-04-2004, 06:14 PM
i am just as upset losing 2-3 to the expos as i am going to be losing 2-3 to the cubs. getting swept by the cubs, well that sweep the Blue Jays put on us a few months ago stung a little. We are going to turn it around and win a division, i dont think the cubs will. Also when the White sox make the playoffs and the cubs don't the media will still find away to talk about the cubs/shrine. I'm happy they all hate us, cause it wouldnt be any fun otherwise!!

Cowch44
07-04-2004, 06:44 PM
If Buehrle gets his run support we should win....and Rusch isn't as "good" as his stats show he is.:D: