PDA

View Full Version : JR on 'Chicago Tonight'

inta
07-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Did anyone catch the Jerry Reinsdorf interview on Chicago Tonight tonight(friday)?

i missed most of it, but there was a good little diss on Jay Moronotti.
Some OK comments on the cubs/sox thing too.

I'm sure Ch11 will replay it a few more times this weekend.

RKMeibalane
07-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Believe it or not, I'm actually glad Reinsdorf is doing this. It stands to reason that a man like him could weild a considerable amount of power in Chicago if he wanted to. Therefore, if JR decides that he wants to run Mariotti out of town, then more power to him. I bet he could make it happen.

vegyrex
07-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Jerry's diss of Jay was pretty funny. I bet Jay is feverishly plucking away at his keyboard writing a column striking back at Jerry. :D:

Oh the madness!! :tongue:

However Reinsdork still denies he played any major role in the '94 strike. He said Selig had more influence than he did back then. Yeah right. Wasn't it common knowledge Selig was Jerry's pet rock? :wink:

Good interview though. I liked it when he said he didn't want flub fans at the Cell. :cool:

Flight #24
07-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Jerry's diss of Jay was pretty funny. I bet Jay is feverishly plucking away at his keyboard writing a column striking back at Jerry. :D:

Oh the madness!! :tongue:

However Reinsdork still denies he played any major role in the '94 strike. He said Selig had more influence than he did back then. Yeah right. Wasn't it common knowledge Selig was Jerry's pet rock? :wink:

Good interview though. I liked it when he said he didn't want flub fans at the Cell. :cool:
Anyone got a recap?

TornLabrum
07-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but I didn't see anybody actually quote what he said about Moronotti.

Sirott was naming people for him to say the first thing that came to his mind.

Sirott: "Jay Mariotti."
Reinsdorf: "Pissant....He means absolutely nothing to me."

beckett21
07-02-2004, 11:54 PM
This interview originally ran about two months ago. I am assuming it is the same one. Here is a previous thread devoted to discussing it:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32576&highlight=Reinsdorf+Channel+interview

Flight #24
07-03-2004, 08:55 AM
This interview originally ran about two months ago. I am assuming it is the same one. Here is a previous thread devoted to discussing it:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32576&highlight=Reinsdorf+Channel+interviewAh - that one I remember. I thought it might be something new. Thanks.

FWIW - as another comment on JR, KW's quoted in the papers today (Southtown) as saying that he thinks winning something this year can push the Sox from mid-market to upper-level in terms of payroll and that the same thing would have happened had they won last year. If that happens, he thinks they can afford both Maggs and Garcia (but I'm guessing they definitely lose ELo and unless he comes back cheaper - Valentin).

There's a quote from the Daily Herald that indicates that a playoff win might be enough to manage it.
as long as they stay atop the AL Central and possibly advance past the American League division series in the postseason
Nice to see. Keep both FG AND Maggs, lose Elo, probably resign Shoney cheaply (unlesss Rauch & Diaz both look good). Nice team. Might still want the next vet starter in our little Reclamation chain", but I like our chances at continued playoff runs.

dangler
07-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I got a good laugh from JR calling Mariotti a pissant. But, my question is when did this little war between JR and Mariotti begin? Does it only stem from Mariotti's continously slamming of the Sox, or is there more to it than that?

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I got a good laugh from JR calling Mariotti a pissant. But, my question is when did this little war between JR and Mariotti begin? Does it only stem from Mariotti's continously slamming of the Sox, or is there more to it than that?
I've posted this elsewhere. Mariotti's version is that he wrote something nice about the Sox and Uncle Jer gave him a call thanking him.

Mariotti supposedly said, "Remember this because the time may come where I might write something you don't like."

According to Mariotti, that day came, and he was told by someone from the Sox front office that JR would no longer be speaking to him.

I hasten to add that this is completely and totally Mariotti's version of events, which means it may or may not have any resemblance to the truth.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2004, 02:40 PM
I hasten to add that this is completely and totally Mariotti's version of events, which means it may or may not have any resemblance to the truth.
Sort of like yesterday's defacto umpire?

:nandrolone
"Yes, Jay's columns are hollow and filled with something other than wood. He only does it to entertain us. However this latest episode has all been an honest misunderstanding. I would never steer you wrong."

RKMeibalane
07-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Sort of like yesterday's defacto umpire?

"Yes, Jay's columns are hollow and filled with something other than wood. He only does it to entertain us. However this latest episode has all been an honest misunderstanding. I would never steer you wrong."
PHG, I'd be interested to hear your take on where Sosa's corked bat from 2003 is now. Do you think he still has it somewhere? Has he been using a corked bat recently? Feel free to visit my thread about this subject. :wink:

hawkjt
07-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I know people love to bash JR for the strike but in hindsight I say if he was a proponent for salary cap /revenue sharing then he was acting in the best interest of the game. Look what happened after strike settled. Big Bucks yankees win 3 of next 4 world series cuz there was no change in the system. Now they have got some revenue sharing and the salaries have come down a little and the yankees have not won the last few years. They still need to get full revenue sharing and a minimum payroll and then baseball will be back as a competitive sport again. Wish the owners had held their ground in 94 and the sox might have won a couple of rings by now.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2004, 05:19 PM
PHG, I'd be interested to hear your take on where Sosa's corked bat from 2003 is now. Do you think he still has it somewhere? Has he been using a corked bat recently? Feel free to visit my thread about this subject. :wink:
I didn't see Shammy's walk off dinger so I have no comment about his behavior after crossing home plate.

I think Sosa, like most other professional athletes, is looking for every edge he can get. The only thing unique about Scammy is the degree he is willing to go to get that edge and the degree everyone else *knows* he is doing it but never calls him on it.

Thus there is no doubt in my mind he will (continue to) use steroids,
and continue to use a corked bat,
and continue to call fair balls foul,
as long as he thinks he can continue to get away with it.
That's Scammin' Shammy Soso.

We all know it.

"Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"