PDA

View Full Version : The "ivy" Rule

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Anybody know the rule if the ball gets caught in the ivy and nobody can find it? Is it an automatic double?

Blob
07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, and I believe all baserunners stop where they are...

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
K

South Side
07-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Anybody know the rule if the ball gets caught in the ivy and nobody can find it? Is it an automatic double?
Yes, and their players take advantage of this rule. Moises Alou kicked the ball into the ivy the other day against the Astros b/c he knew he didn't have a chance against the runner. Does that not disgust anyone else? He blatantly cheats and then admits it to the media? *******.:angry:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Yes, and their players take advantage of this rule. Moises Alou kicked the ball into the ivy the other day against the Astros b/c he knew he didn't have a chance against the runner. Does that not disgust anyone else? He blatantly cheats and then admits it to the media? *******.:angry:
Was it a rule before Alou did this?

SomebodyToldMe
07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
although i hear that if prior is the one that gives up the hit, they call it a foul and the batter has to continue the at bat.

that's just something i heard.

:D:

mdep524
07-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey CubsfansareDRUNK, love your name and especially your signature, but I was wondering how the date on the quote in your sig could be 1999 when IIRC Dusty didn't manage the Cubs until 2003?

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey CubsfansareDRUNK, love your name and especially your signature, but I was wondering how the date on the quote in your sig could be 1999 when IIRC Dusty didn't manage the Cubs until 2003?
Ehrm...I copied that off http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck

I dont know anything about direct dates or anything :dunno:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Or about the cubs history for that matter...

South Side
07-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Was it a rule before Alou did this?Oh yes, this was just in the paper yesterday.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
"k"

Kilroy
07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Was it a rule before Alou did this?Un-****ing-fortunately. That rule cost Maggs a game winning RBI in 1998, and allowed the game to go into extras only to be won for the scrubs on a home run by Brant Brown. It was complete bs too because we could see the ball from the stands behind the 3rd base dugout, but Scammy thru those arms up immediately.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
That Blows. I always knew that F---ing ivy would haunt us one day...

but check this out..

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/wrigley.htm

NorthSideDroolz
07-04-2004, 02:44 AM
K
:troll
"As you know, Flubs fans aren't know for their intelligence or offering an original thought. For example, the Urinal is the best because the beer is cold and the women are hot. Personally I like the guys better."

alohafri
07-04-2004, 12:33 PM
That Blows. I always knew that F---ing ivy would haunt us one day...
I was credited (blamed) for trying to do something about it a few years ago. What those people failed to realize is that you can't get to the bleachers from the upper deck box at the Urinal. Must have been SamMe's steriod laced urine.

jabrch
07-04-2004, 12:55 PM
It didn't pay off in that case. The umpires ruled that the ball was live - and in plain view - so whomever the batter was just kept rounding the bases - eventually getting an inside the park HR.

The rule is that if the ball is stuck in the ivy and the player can not see it, he does not have to dig through the ivy - it is a ground rule double - runners get 2 bases. However, if the player decides to reach into the ivy and the ball comes out, it is LIVE. So hitters need to keep on running. Fielders need to not reach in if they don't see the ball.