PDA

View Full Version : Fox News

doublem23
07-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Will someone please inform Dane Placko, of WFLD-TV, Channel 32 in Chicago, that the name of our stadium is U.S. Cellular Field and not Cellular One Field?

Thanks.

:angry:

If you would like to complain, go to Fox Chicago's (http://www.foxchicago.com)website and click on viewer feedback.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2004, 01:19 AM
The name of our park, as far as I'm concerned, is Comiskey. Nobody paid me anything to change what I call it.

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 01:27 AM
The name of our park, as far as I'm concerned, is Comiskey. Nobody paid me anything to change what I call it.
Nellie, Comiskey Park was torn down after the 1990 season.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Nellie, Comiskey Park was torn down after the 1990 season.And the replacement was also called Comiskey, until US Cellular paid to have it called something else. Since I got not a dollar of that bribe money, I'll call it what I please.

doublem23
07-03-2004, 02:10 AM
And the replacement was also called Comiskey, until US Cellular paid to have it called something else. Since I got not a dollar of that bribe money, I'll call it what I please.Just out of curiosity, have you been to the park before and since the name change? Granted, I liked the park in its Comiskey days, but since U.S. Cellular has come in and given the Sox the money to make some drastic changes, they have helped sculpt a near masterpiece. The stadium has retained the features that made it great (great views from the concourse no matter where you are, sunny lower bowl, etc.) and have added a lot of great new additions (Fan Deck, new scoreboard plus ribbon boards... notice how the Cubs have copied us in this aspect).

This is just my opinion, of course. You are free to call it what you like, but I think the money that U.S. Cellular has poured into the ballmall has been very well spent and is much appreciated by me.

P.S., the guy who called it Cellular One Field was Mark Suppelsa... Dane Placko was out at Wrigley informing all the tourists not to buy $100 tickets from "unlicensed" scalpers because of all the fakes. Can't let the illegitamate scalpers cut into the the legit ones... like the Cubs themselves. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you been to the park before and since the name change? Granted, I liked the park in its Comiskey days, but since U.S. Cellular has come in and given the Sox the money to make some drastic changes, they have helped sculpt a near masterpiece. The stadium has retained the features that made it great (great views from the concourse no matter where you are, sunny lower bowl, etc.) and have added a lot of great new additions (Fan Deck, new scoreboard plus ribbon boards... notice how the Cubs have copied us in this aspect).Of course. I was at the new Comiskey in its first year, and was just there for the Cleveland series a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I liked the brick facades on the pillars; hated the "ribbon boards." I don't know what the "fan deck" is.

The improvements are nice, but I was not one who was upset with the place the way it was. Bricks on the uprights had nothing to do with my view of the game, which was often very poor at old Comiskey (columns and the upper deck blocked my view a lot of times.) I have nothing against US Cellular, but I don't like the trend of selling naming rights to stadia. Chances are that US Cellular will either be bought up by someone else or go out of business in the next decade, requiring another name change for the ballpark. I like stability.

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 09:47 AM
And the replacement was also called Comiskey, until US Cellular paid to have it called something else. Since I got not a dollar of that bribe money, I'll call it what I please.
They caleld it that, but Comiskey Park was across the street from the current ball park. It was there for 80 years, and I don't particlularly care what the ISFA chose to call it. Comiskey Park was torn down and will never return.

Blueprint1
07-03-2004, 10:16 AM
They caleld it that, but Comiskey Park was across the street from the current ball park. It was there for 80 years, and I don't particlularly care what the ISFA chose to call it. Comiskey Park was torn down and will never return.
GET OVER IT

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 11:12 AM
GET OVER IT
I did. I call it The Cell. You might want to check Nellie's post. He's the one who needs to get over something.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Ever since I was a kid calling it "Sox Park" has worked for me and it still does today, too.

The original one built in 1910 was named White Sox Park and not renamed Comiskey Park for several years. Veeck changed it back to White Sox Park in 1960 and changed it back to Comiskey Park in 1976, too. Who's kidding who?

Personally I don't believe any Sox owner deserves the honor of having the ballpark named for him, they've all been miserable failures. Hell, I would name it Fox Field or Casa Minoso long before I would repeat any of the old names of the past.

Sox Park works fine. It's descriptive, traditional, and prevents unintended shilling on behalf of anybody's business.

jackbrohamer
07-03-2004, 02:14 PM
"Sox Park" is what my father and his brothers, who lived in Bridgeport in the 1930s an 1940s, all called it. I've called both parks "Comiskey" since Veeck re-named it, but I've gone back to "Sox Park" as well. Much easier, and more descriptive.

I also call the Urinal "Cubs Park" which for some reason pisses off all the Scrub fans, so I recommend that as well.

TornLabrum
07-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Ever since I was a kid calling it "Sox Park" has worked for me and it still does today, too.

The original one built in 1910 was named White Sox Park and not renamed Comiskey Park for several years. Veeck changed it back to White Sox Park in 1960 and changed it back to Comiskey Park in 1976, too. Who's kidding who?

Personally I don't believe any Sox owner deserves the honor of having the ballpark named for him, they've all been miserable failures. Hell, I would name it Fox Field or Casa Minoso long before I would repeat any of the old names of the past.

Sox Park works fine. It's descriptive, traditional, and prevents unintended shilling on behalf of anybody's business.It was one of the Allyns who changed the name (back) to White Sox Park, sometime around 1970. I think it was John who did it when he bought the team, but I won't swear to that.

EDIT: Just found what I was looking for! It was Art Allyn who renamed it White Sox Park in time for the 1962 season.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I also call the Urinal "Cubs Park" which for some reason pisses off all the Scrub fans, so I recommend that as well.
LOL! That's very true, though I've never thought to deliberately piss them off calling it Cubs Park. I think I'll steal your idea. Then when they get mad I'll call it the Urinal and launch into my usual rant about what a third world pisshole the whole joint truly is.
:smile:

It was one of the Allyns who changed the name (back) to White Sox Park, sometime around 1970. I think it was John who did it when he bought the team, but I won't swear to that.

EDIT: Just found what I was looking for! It was Art Allyn who renamed it White Sox Park in time for the 1962 season.
As usual a precise and incisive bit of knowledge delivered by TornLabrum, not unlike his explanation of a foul rope attached to a fair pole.

:)

Jerome
07-03-2004, 06:04 PM
The name is US Celluar. W/O that 68 Million the park would not be as nice as it is today. There is no such thing as Comiskey Park anymore, unless you are referring to the park before the deal. I like the name Comiskey better too, but naming rights are a part of the game now. Besides, "The Cell" is a pretty cool nickname. And who cares what the park's name is so long as it's nice for the fans on the inside?

OEO Magglio
07-03-2004, 08:33 PM
:hitless

"The house that I built."

Lip Man 1
07-03-2004, 08:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned I will forever call it Comiskey Park.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-04-2004, 02:37 AM
As far as I'm concerned I will forever call it Comiskey Park.

LipHoly crap, Lip and I agree on something! I can't tell you how happy that makes me!

Torn Labrum, why is it that I have something to get over? You're still lamenting the loss of a park that was falling apart and had crappy sight lines from many seats (not to mention the legroom for a 6'3" person like myself) due to pillars and the overhang from the upper deck, but I should get over the name change? The old park was shot due to lack of funds to maintain it, from the Allyns to Veeck. By the time current ownership got it, it was beyond repair.

I have many great memories from the old place, including that magical moment when a kid first walks out of the dark of the tunnels and sees the emerald, sun-lit field in front of him. But I also had too many games where I had obstructed-view seats, where I couldn't read the scoreboard due to the overhang of the upper deck. Old Comiskey's time had gone. That doesn't mean that I have to accept whatever name someone pays to have hung out front. I'm certain it's only a matter of time before US Cellular either gets bought up or goes out of business, and the name changes again. Should I go along with every change for the sake of the dollar?

vegyrex
07-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Sox Park works fine. It's descriptive, traditional, and prevents unintended shilling on behalf of anybody's business.
Works for me also. :cool:

TornLabrum
07-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Holy crap, Lip and I agree on something! I can't tell you how happy that makes me!

Torn Labrum, why is it that I have something to get over? You're still lamenting the loss of a park that was falling apart and had crappy sight lines from many seats (not to mention the legroom for a 6'3" person like myself) due to pillars and the overhang from the upper deck, but I should get over the name change? The old park was shot due to lack of funds to maintain it, from the Allyns to Veeck. By the time current ownership got it, it was beyond repair.

I have many great memories from the old place, including that magical moment when a kid first walks out of the dark of the tunnels and sees the emerald, sun-lit field in front of him. But I also had too many games where I had obstructed-view seats, where I couldn't read the scoreboard due to the overhang of the upper deck. Old Comiskey's time had gone. That doesn't mean that I have to accept whatever name someone pays to have hung out front. I'm certain it's only a matter of time before US Cellular either gets bought up or goes out of business, and the name changes again. Should I go along with every change for the sake of the dollar?
Well, so far over $60 million of those dollars have gone into making The Cell one of the best places in baseball to view a game. Yeah, you need to get over with. We no longer have a monstrosity created from the brain of Jerry Reinsdorf to go to. We have a real ball park. And a good chunk of those changes have come from the cash infusion from U.S. Cellular.

Greg1983
07-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I have no strong feelings one way or the other on "Comiskey" versus "US Cellular," but I must say that PaleHoseGeorge's idea of calling the place "Casa Minoso" is freaking brilliant. I'm not joking...I think that sounds totally cool.

Obviously, they'll never call the ballpark that, but here's an idea: a Mexican-themed restaurant and sports bar along 35th right outside the ballpark called "Casa Minoso." It's a great homage to one of the finest and most popular players in the history of the organization, it's an appropriate acknowledgement of the overwhelmingly positive contributions of Latin players and fans, and it just sounds totally cool.

Okay, I've used "totally cool" twice, so it's time for me to shut up. But if I weren't totally broke, I'd go into the restaurant business myself just so I could use that name.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Well, so far over $60 million of those dollars have gone into making The Cell one of the best places in baseball to view a game. Yeah, you need to get over with. We no longer have a monstrosity created from the brain of Jerry Reinsdorf to go to. We have a real ball park. And a good chunk of those changes have come from the cash infusion from U.S. Cellular.Please tell me which of the changes made the place different for viewing a game? I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and the changes are purely cosmetic. Viewing the game didn't change at all. I never had a problem with the new park as a place to watch a game. Brick veneer and paint don't change the sightlines, which have always been fine. Please explain to me what I missed.

TornLabrum
07-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Please tell me which of the changes made the place different for viewing a game? I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and the changes are purely cosmetic. Viewing the game didn't change at all. I never had a problem with the new park as a place to watch a game. Brick veneer and paint don't change the sightlines, which have always been fine. Please explain to me what I missed.
So what's wrong with cosmetic surgery? Haven't you noticed the success of all the "makeover" shows on TV?

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2004, 12:33 AM
So what's wrong with cosmetic surgery? Haven't you noticed the success of all the "makeover" shows on TV?Doesn't exactly answer my question, does it. You said "over $60 million of those dollars have gone into making The Cell one of the best places in baseball to view a game...We no longer have a monstrosity created from the brain of Jerry Reinsdorf to go to. We have a real ball park." You didn't tell me which of those $60 million worth of changes had anything to do with watching the game.

Anyway, I don't have to justify to you my refusal to call the place anything but Comiskey. End of discussion.