PDA

View Full Version : What about Aaron and Paulie now?

Gumshoe
07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Just to call out the naysayers once again. Rowand is making you suck it, Randar et al. What do you have to say now?

And I remember a LARGE WSI contingent saying Paulie isn't worth it. Well, he's been carrying the team (i know a lot of guys have been playing well), essentially, offensively.

Can some people step up and admit that maybe they are wrong? Ha! I win again.

Gumshoe

jshanahanjr
07-02-2004, 03:57 PM
You da man Gumshoe!

Randar68
07-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Just to call out the naysayers once again. Rowand is making you suck it, Randar et al. What do you have to say now?

And I remember a LARGE WSI contingent saying Paulie isn't worth it. Well, he's been carrying the team (i know a lot of guys have been playing well), essentially, offensively.

GumshoeYeah, playing primarily against LH'ed pitching.

I'm so impressed.

You said he was a stud, I said he was a platoon player/4th OF'er. Man were you right, or what?

"Or What."

idseer
07-02-2004, 04:02 PM

Gumshoei'm with you shoe. especially about paul.

* don't expect randar to EVER admit he was wrong. i think it's some kind of law. :smile:

Gumshoe
07-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I said, "he's a stud". Now you are just making up stuff. I never said that. I always said we could win with him, and that he was a very good defensive CF, which has been seen this year time and time again, and is corroborated by his statistics.

Randar, now you say, he's good "against LH pitching". HA! You've stooped to the level of making qualifying statements. Just say that you are wrong. I would say I lost a lot of respect, but you are probably the worst on this board in terms of not being able to admit it when you are off.

That's all I ever asked. How much more evidence do you want?

G

doublem23
07-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Here we go again. By the way, Rowand still blows.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Rowand is being platooned, a role nearly all of us have been saying all along is the most we can hope for him to handle. The great Timo Perez is his counterpart. Why don't you start your campaign to get more playing time for him, too?

As for Konerko he looked awful out there today, including with the glove. Why Ozzie thinks this guy is ever worth benching Frank over is beyond me.

Aidan
07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
I would rather see Rowand in CF and Timo in RF. Gload is not quick enough to play RF. He should stay a pinch hitter/backup 1B. I would rather see Frank starting at 1B though because the Cubs just pitch around and walk him. I like Konerko as a pinch hitter.

jackbrohamer
07-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Gload has proven that he is not a major league outfielder. He was absolutely clueless out there today, he could just as easily made 2 more errors.

But Gload sucking doesn't transform Rowand into a competent outfielder.

RKMeibalane
07-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Why Ozzie thinks this guy is ever worth benching Frank over is beyond me.
Yes. Good... good... Give into your anger.

Aidan
07-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Gload has proven that he is not a major league outfielder. He was absolutely clueless out there today, he could just as easily made 2 more errors.

But Gload sucking doesn't transform Rowand into a competent outfielder.Still, wouldn't you rather see Rowand in CF, Timo in RF, and Gload on the bench?

RKMeibalane
07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Still, wouldn't you rather see Rowand in CF, Timo in RF, and Gload on the bench?
I certainly would.

Aidan
07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
I certainly would.I like Gload's bat but his defense in RF puts the fear of death into me. I guess you can't really ask much OF A FIRST BASEMAN!!!

RKMeibalane
07-02-2004, 07:45 PM
I like Gload's bat but his defense in RF puts the fear of death into me. I guess you can't really ask much OF A FIRST BASEMAN!!!
Well, Ozzie could always put Frank out there. :D:

Aidan
07-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Well, Ozzie could always put Frank out there. :D:NoOoOoOoOoOoOo!!! I'll take Timo in RF, Rowand in CF, and Frank at 1B, thank you very much!

Daver
07-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Timo is a better CFer Than Rowand could ever want to be.

Aidan
07-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Timo is a better CFer Than Rowand could ever want to be.I'm not sure who is better in CF. Rowand has made some great plays in CF and Timo didn't exactly prove to be a great CF when he was on the Mets. It would make sense that Timo, being the smaller guy, would be quicker but apparently he doesn't have alot of speed for a small guy. I just said Rowand in CF and Timo in RF because that is apparently what Ozzie likes.

In 178 games played in CF, Timo Perez has 5 errors.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6568

In 219 games played in CF, Aaron Rowand has 7 errors.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6742

I don't really think either one of them blows the other away as a CF.

tweek57
07-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Aaron and Timo are just about the same in the outfield, Aaron is a little faster and has a better arm, I've never seen Timo make any great plays in the outfield and I have seen Aaron. I guess you'd want Aaron's arm in right.

WSox8404
07-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Still, wouldn't you rather see Rowand in CF, Timo in RF, and Gload on the bench?
After the first game at Wiggley, yes.

Fungo
07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Most of the Rowand detractors, including myself, have always claimed that Rowand is not a bad 4th outfielder. He is a platoon player and a good fit to hit against strictly left-handed pitching. His defense is poor to adequate, nothing more. He shows the occasional glimpse of nice defense by making a spectacular play every once in awhile. The two catches against Cleveland last week are examples. Then there are the plays that seem 'spectacular', but are ultimately the result of AAAron getting a bad jump or bad read off the bat and making the routine catch look 'spectacular'. Believe me, I would like nothing more than to see a kid like AAAron succeed and become a bona-fide star. He is a hard worker who has a great work ethic and hustles every play, but the fact is; right now he is a 4th outfielder.

hose
07-03-2004, 08:05 AM
I don't have any problem with Aaron/Timo in center for now. Rowand would probably be better suited for a corner, but he is the best option the Sox have currently.

I would move Konerko in a heartbeat if the Sox were out of the running. His trade value is peaking and in order to get out from under the $8 million for next year the Sox should move him.

BUT, the Sox are in first and Paulie is a big reason why, so I wouldn't mess with trading him now.

Everyone assumes it's Maggs going to Atlanta but the Braves have a 45 year old firstbaseman. Konerko to Atlanta makes more sense than Maggs if the Braves still believe they are in a pennant race and looking for a second half surge .

idseer
07-03-2004, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=hose]

I would move Konerko in a heartbeat if the Sox were out of the running. His trade value is peaking and in order to get out from under the $8 million for next year the Sox should move him.

QUOTE]

the way paul is hitting and driving in runs i'd say he's been worth every bit of $8 mil.

hose
07-03-2004, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=hose]

QUOTE]

the way paul is hitting and driving in runs i'd say he's been worth every bit of $8 mil.
If Reinsy expands the payroll next year maybe the Sox can resign Maggs, Freddy, Loiaza, and still keep Konerko. Add Jose Valentin into the mix also, he probably will have to be resigned.

If trading Konerko is what it takes to keep Maggs here then I'll pack Paulie's bags myself.:D:

gosox41
07-03-2004, 10:09 AM

Gumshoe
Lets see how PK does the second half. It would certainly be nice to see him piece together a full good season instead of one great half where he hits 3/4 of his HR's and a bad half where he hits the other 1/4 and his BA drops 50 points.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Lets see how PK does the second half. It would certainly be nice to see him piece together a full good season instead of one great half where he hits 3/4 of his HR's and a bad half where he hits the other 1/4 and his BA drops 50 points.The next full season Konerko puts together will be his first. We ought to trade him at our first opportunity. His hot streak won't last because they never last. Meanwhile he is stealing at-bats from one of the 2 hitters our offense simply can't do without. A Sox line up without Maggs and Frank is an ugly thing, as yesterday's performance illustrates yet again.

Lord knows we won't miss Paul Konerko on the field or at the plate, and certainly not on our payroll ledgers either.

gosox41
07-03-2004, 10:24 AM
The next full season Konerko puts together will be his first. We ought to trade him at our first opportunity. His hot streak won't last because they never last. Meanwhile he is stealing at-bats from one of the 2 hitters our offense simply can't do without. A Sox line up without Maggs and Frank is an ugly thing, as yesterday's performance illustrates yet again.

Lord knows we won't miss Paul Konerko on the field or at the plate, and certainly not on our payroll ledgers either.
I 100% agree. Trade him now if you can get a good starter.

I laugh when people talk about how much better PK is then Frank defensively. Did anyone see PK muff that routine foul pop up yesterday? That's not good defense at all.

While it didn't lead to any runs being scored, it's probably not good practive to give teams 4 outs an inning.

Bob

Blueprint1
07-03-2004, 10:45 AM
I 100% agree. Trade him now if you can get a good starter.

I laugh when people talk about how much better PK is then Frank defensively. Did anyone see PK muff that routine foul pop up yesterday? That's not good defense at all.

While it didn't lead to any runs being scored, it's probably not good practive to give teams 4 outs an inning.

Bob
Did you see Frank play first at all this year. HE SUCKS he knows this himself.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
The next full season Konerko puts together will be his first. We ought to trade him at our first opportunity. His hot streak won't last because they never last. Meanwhile he is stealing at-bats from one of the 2 hitters our offense simply can't do without. A Sox line up without Maggs and Frank is an ugly thing, as yesterday's performance illustrates yet again.

I couldn't agree more. I like Konerko, and think he's a good hitter. But like you said, I have yet to see him play well over an entire season. The Sox should send him to the Braves in exchange for Ortiz, if that's what Williams wants to do. As soon as the ball drops on the second half of the season, Konerko is going to start sucking again. It's almost like the changing of the seasons from Winter to Spring or Summer to Fall.

The Konerko-lovers are going crazy over Paulie's big first half. They were doing the same thing two years ago, and then Konerko was arguably the Sox worst hitter during the final three months of 2002. I would feel better if Konerko had his annual tail-spin on another team, so the Sox won't be victimized by his struggles again.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2004, 11:37 AM
The last time I checked, he had a perfect fielding percentage. Aside from a play on a ground ball he should have, Frank has done a nice job out there. Konerko has made some awful defensive plays at first this season. Frank might actually be an upgrade over him defensively. But of course, the 3-6-3 double play is reason enough to keep Frank on the bench.

Good God this team sucks.

idseer
07-03-2004, 12:04 PM
I couldn't agree more. I like Konerko, and think he's a good hitter. But like you said, I have yet to see him play well over an entire season. The Sox should send him to the Braves in exchange for Ortiz, if that's what Williams wants to do. As soon as the ball drops on the second half of the season, Konerko is going to start sucking again. It's almost like the changing of the seasons from Winter to Spring or Summer to Fall.

The Konerko-lovers are going crazy over Paulie's big first half. They were doing the same thing two years ago, and then Konerko was arguably the Sox worst hitter during the final three months of 2002. I would feel better if Konerko had his annual tail-spin on another team, so the Sox won't be victimized by his struggles again.

nothin to do now but wait and see huh?

gosox41
07-03-2004, 05:26 PM
I have and find him just as serviceable as PK.

Bob

RKMeibalane
07-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I have and find him just as serviceable as PK.

Bob
I agree, but the Frank-haters are looking for more reasons to complain about Thomas.