PDA

View Full Version : Do the sox have the best bench?

iftypofixit
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
I really haven't spent too much time comparing teams and numbers, but it seems like the sox may have the best bench in all of baseball. I don't know of any team whom has the depth of field players as the sox do. Almost every player is challenged by the back-up for playing time. I think the white sox depth will help them during a difficult August, during the long stretch. This can also help them through the playoffs, because the players won't be as exhausted. Please share your thoughts.

SEALgep
07-02-2004, 12:21 AM
I really haven't spent too much time comparing teams and numbers, but it seems like the sox may have the best bench in all of baseball. I don't know of any team whom has the depth of field players as the sox do. Almost every player is challenged by the back-up for playing time. I think the white sox depth will help them during a difficult August, during the long stretch. This can also help them through the playoffs, because the players won't be as exhausted. Please share your thoughts.The Cubs have a pretty good bench as well, but ours is right up there if not better IMO. We have guys that are very versatile and playing hard, and even better, they are producing. We should be fresh and in a good position down the stretch, as well as our pen with how well Ozzie has been handling it.

doublem23
07-02-2004, 12:33 AM
If we're talking with a squad at full strength, I don't think anyone's bench can touch the one the Angels have. They've been playing with like half their starters and the guys to fill their holes have been amazing.

SomebodyToldMe
07-02-2004, 12:37 AM
we do have a good bench...it's hard to predict the lineup for the next day because anyone could (and is capable) of starting.

good stuff indeed.

doctor30th
07-02-2004, 12:49 AM
I dont' think our bench is all that great. We lack some flexiblity. It would be much better if we released Mike Jackson and Brought up Kelly Drandsfelt, but I'm not even sure we have him anymore.

I would prefer to have another infielder on the bench who can play 2nd, ss, and 3rd.

jabrch
07-02-2004, 01:18 AM
For an AL team, our bench is as good as it gets. Anaheim is as good as us - maybe better if all were healthy, but other than that, no AL team is as deep as we are.

Cowch44
07-02-2004, 03:07 AM
With Magglio coming back, it'll just make our bench better in some ways.:army

jabrch
07-02-2004, 09:06 AM
With Magglio coming back, it'll just make our bench better in some ways.:army

It makes our bench significantly better - add Timo or Rowand also to the bench in place of Gload? (Assumedly he gets sent down when Magglio is back.

joeywpb
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
It makes our bench significantly better - add Timo or Rowand also to the bench in place of Gload? (Assumedly he gets sent down when Magglio is back.

I don't know who should go down, but all these players have had alot of ABs since Maggs has gone down and that can only help going into the second half. They have also had alot of very clutch hits so we are in a "win-win" situation.

Tragg
07-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I think that's one of the big reasons our O is much better. We had a woeful bench for the past 3 years (got a little better last year)- some players were just unusable.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-02-2004, 11:36 AM
well burke replaced maggs, so maybe one of the catchers go, even though we really dont have a starting catcher.

bye bye ben davis