PDA

View Full Version : Slumps

SoxFan76
07-02-2004, 12:49 AM
I want to talk about Frank, but for the sake of conversation, we can extend this to all White Sox players.

The big man's average has been dipping, and I am starting to become worried. I've never known Frank to get into huge slumps, he is too good of a hitter to do that. But he also hasn't been tearing the cover off the ball. Or when he does, it only lasts 3 games, and all the sudden he goes 0-3 for the next week. (Because he still gets his walks, no matter how cold his bat is)

I know, I'm overreacting. But I just want to see him succeed, and it's frustrating to see the whole team hitting while Frank is doing nothing.

WhiteSox = Life
07-02-2004, 12:54 AM
That's what's been great about this team so far. The big man isn't hitting right now and the team is doing stupendously.

I don't doubt that Frank will get going again. He's just been nickel-and-dimed to death by pitchers and is getting frustrated. Consequently, he's popping up a lot on his reaching.

As long as Hurt keeps getting on base and driving in runs, the Sox will be fine. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn the scuffle around soon, though. Let's home my inkling is right.

:smile:

WSox8404
07-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I want to talk about Frank, but for the sake of conversation, we can extend this to all White Sox players.

The big man's average has been dipping, and I am starting to become worried. I've never known Frank to get into huge slumps, he is too good of a hitter to do that. But he also hasn't been tearing the cover off the ball. Or when he does, it only lasts 3 games, and all the sudden he goes 0-3 for the next week. (Because he still gets his walks, no matter how cold his bat is)

I know, I'm overreacting. But I just want to see him succeed, and it's frustrating to see the whole team hitting while Frank is doing nothing.
Well don't get too worried. If the whole team is hitting, which it is, then we do not have to worry about Frank. This may work out, because maybe some others will enter a slump, and then Frank will be due to get out of his. It isn't the best thing in the world to have every hitter, 1-9 to be hitting lights out. That is when team wide slumps tend to occur.

doublem23
07-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Personally, I think once Maggs come back, he should bat 4th and Frank should be batting third. It's clear that the Big Hurt is still the premier power hitter on this team and right now he is struggling from a lack of protection in the line-up. I know we are all enamored with Caballo since that 28 game hitting streak, but he just isn't putting up the power numbers to justify pitching to Frank when you can put him on base and then let Lee his a single and just move everyone up 90 feet. You know Frank won't be very mobile on base, so as long as there is not much power behind him, you're better off just walking him and letting the batters behind him play station-to-station ball, because odds are you'll get out of more innings than you will allow big ones. I also thinks this has to do with the fact that Willie Harris and Juan Uribe at the top of the lineup still haven't been getting it done on a regular basis and it just seems like Frank is coming up less often with runners on, making it that much more attractive to pitch around him and take your shots with Lee or GIDPaul.

He leads the league in walks for a reason. Bottom line is, Frank will hurt you much more often than Lee will.

HomeFish
07-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Frank always seems to slump before the All-Star Game. I remember last year we all caught "Frank should be an All-Star" fever. WhiteSox.com even had an article about Frank wanting to be on the All-Star team. Then his average dipped into the .260's and that was the end of that.

I'm more worried about Willie Harris and Juan Uribe. Timo is a fine tactical weapon and a fledgling Cub-killer, but I'm not sure he's what I want setting the table.

idseer
07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Personally, I think once Maggs come back, he should bat 4th and Frank should be batting third. It's clear that the Big Hurt is still the premier power hitter on this team and right now he is struggling from a lack of protection in the line-up. I know we are all enamored with Caballo since that 28 game hitting streak, but he just isn't putting up the power numbers to justify pitching to Frank when you can put him on base and then let Lee his a single and just move everyone up 90 feet. You know Frank won't be very mobile on base, so as long as there is not much power behind him, you're better off just walking him and letting the batters behind him play station-to-station ball, because odds are you'll get out of more innings than you will allow big ones. I also thinks this has to do with the fact that Willie Harris and Juan Uribe at the top of the lineup still haven't been getting it done on a regular basis and it just seems like Frank is coming up less often with runners on, making it that much more attractive to pitch around him and take your shots with Lee or GIDPaul.

He leads the league in walks for a reason. Bottom line is, Frank will hurt you much more often than Lee will.
i don't know about this. yeah lee isn't hitting with as much power as we expect but he's still very dangerous and everyone knows it. and THEN he's followed by paul and he IS power dangerous. so i seriously doubt he's being pitched around.

i think frank is getting stuff to hit. he just isn't hitting it! could be physical, could be psychological. maybe he's just not feeling well but not letting on to the media. at his age little aches and pains have a way of interfering with your game. the fact the team is doing so well maybe he's trying too hard to make sure he's a part of it all.
whatever it is i'm not too worried about him. if it WERE an injury i don't think it'd be a secret this long so i expect he'll pull himself out of it soon.

i hope he does not get picked for the AS game and takes a little time off for himself. could be just what the doctor ordered.

gobears1987
07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
He had a huge slump the 1st 2 or 3 weeks of the season.